Chance Comanche

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: Chance Comanche

Post by Olsondogg »

I could tell a story about how Miles & JET passed some of their classes...but there might be kids reading...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
C'mon Chance, Bear Down, grow up and don't let your teammates down!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chance Comanche expected back for Michigan State game

For the second time in as many games, Chance Comanche was not dressed for the Arizona Wildcats on Sunday, having been suspended “indefinitely” for lack of academic responsibility.

It appears indefinitely meant a week.

“I’m anticipating Chance making the trip with us to Hawai’i, and as long as everything holds steady through tonight and tomorrow, I see him being able to play against Michigan State,” Sean Miller said after the game.

“Chance being a part of our team versus him not playing at all affects a lot of things,” Miller added. “It’s not the cure-all, but believe me, I’m around him every day in practice; he’s a big part of what we’re doing and that’s going to really help us with our depth.”

The Wildcats are scheduled to travel to Hawai’i on Wednesday and will face the Michigan State Spartans on Friday at 5 PM MT.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... -academics" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Puerco wrote:
One line of argument would state that if you memorized the content of 10 years' worth of old exams, then you'd have actually learned the content those tests were designed to test, no? All a prof has to do to foil that is to slightly change the wording of the test questions, and the people who really memorize without understanding the content are screwed.
As someone who has helped develop employment interview questions multiple times, this is it. There are multiple ways to get to the same answer or make sure the student knows and absorbs what needs to be absorbed. I always considered professors who kept the same test for years to be incredibly lazy.

"Whom of the following is not a Supreme Court Justice?" A) Kagan B) Carter C) Roberts D) Kennedy. "Whom of the following is an active Supreme Court Justice? A) Scalia B) Stevens C) O'Connor D) Alito.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Getting Chance back is huge for this team. Outside of the depth and having an able big body down low if Lauri or Ristic get in foul trouble, it lets us slide Pinder over to the 3 a little more to allow for "play defense or get out" for our perimeter players. And I think most of us here agree that Chance is more than just an "able big body."
Olsondogg wrote:I could tell a story about how Miles & JET passed some of their classes...but there might be kids reading...
You have warned any potential kids and they can always close their eyes.
gumby

Post by gumby »

rgdeuce wrote:
Puerco wrote:
One line of argument would state that if you memorized the content of 10 years' worth of old exams, then you'd have actually learned the content those tests were designed to test, no? All a prof has to do to foil that is to slightly change the wording of the test questions, and the people who really memorize without understanding the content are screwed.
As someone who has helped develop employment interview questions multiple times, this is it. There are multiple ways to get to the same answer or make sure the student knows and absorbs what needs to be absorbed. I always considered professors who kept the same test for years to be incredibly lazy.

"Whom of the following is not a Supreme Court Justice?" A) Kagan B) Carter C) Roberts D) Kennedy. "Whom of the following is an active Supreme Court Justice? A) Scalia B) Stevens C) O'Connor D) Alito.
True or False.

Both of those should be "Who" not "Whom"?

:D
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

We have four guys 6-9 and taller, and four who are 6-5 and shorter.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Puerco wrote:

True or False.

Both of those should be "Who" not "Whom"?

:D
Which?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Which the f*ck!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Good game last night. After some rocky times, it's nice to see Chance do well.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Much more engaged and active once he got some dunks. Hopefully kick started a nice second half of the season for him.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Much more engaged and active once he got some dunks. Hopefully kick started a nice second half of the season for him.
Maybe we need to set up a broken backboard incident in RJ Gym. Everyone, stay away from it, get the ball to Chase, and CRAAASHH. Instant confidence.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bill Walton's view of Chance:

BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Just rewatched the game. Chance plays like that the rest of the season? I like the Chance for a deep run...if we get our players back.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

it was just great to see chance having fun out there. did you see his face after that dime from kobi in the first half? dude was feeling it
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yep. The pouts and look of no confidence were erased. He was having fun and probably felt like he belonged for the first time in a while.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Another good one tonight for Chance.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Another good one tonight for Chance.
He looks pretty comfortable on the offensive end, but he's still missing rotations on defense. That has to drive Miller up a wall.

MUCH better result on the boards tonight than against Cal. That's big that he showed that much effort in the second game of a roadie.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Very cool to see Chance develop and put together 2 good games on the road like this. He is really needed.....especially when Pinder seemed to crap the bed this road trip.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Another good one tonight for Chance.
He looks pretty comfortable on the offensive end, but he's still missing rotations on defense. That has to drive Miller up a wall.

MUCH better result on the boards tonight than against Cal. That's big that he showed that much effort in the second game of a roadie.
It's a process. He's still only midway through his sophomore year. This is way ahead of where he was, though. I was worried he was almost checking out there for a bit.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I like chance and what he brings to the table, mistakes aside. Effort is consistent.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

I was about to kick him to the curb. Human TO machine. Then he drew that 4th on Rabb, finishes strong and carried it over to Maples.

Once he and Pinder learn how to set screens consistently, our TOs will plummet.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That was the play of the game against Cal, looking back. Very heady.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The potential is through the roof, just needs to put it all together namely upstairs. Good thing he's got 2 more years.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

That kind of footwork isn't accidental. When i see that from a big man, and that big man struggles other times, i chalk it up to a mental block. The question then becomes, is it a simple mental block that will disappear with time and experience or is the stage just bigger than the player is capable of operating comfortably upon?

When i see a road trip like Chance had, I think "OK...he can do this. He just has to believe he can do this". And that is where it comes down to what kind of practice player you are. If he is going hard and keeping focused while checking Dusan and Lauri, who between them give him everything a big can throw at him short of pure brutality, it's just a question of time before the Bay trip is the Chance reality.

If he is prone to taking practices off mentally, it will continue to result in enigmatic performances.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

There are a handful of moves he has put on this year where you look at the footwork and say, damn. There are also a handful where there was nice footwork and the defender was there, and he dragged his pivot foot a good 6-12 inches and got whistled for steps. It's there, just needs reps.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Most improved player? I think he might be. Working against Dusan I think has improved his game offensively. He had 10 impressive points yesterday. Love his progress and aggressiveness
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Yes, very much improved game offensively and perimeter defense. Still makes stupid fouls near the basket, but that will improve too. Very nice hands too.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He's still young. Chance was always more of a project, the kind of guy who needs some seasoning and really puts it together as a junior and senior. He seems to have shrugged off the issues he had for a bit and be back to what he's good at, which is keeping his head under the rim.
prh

Post by prh »

He's sure getting some good training though. Battling Tarc as a freshman, Lauri this year, Ayton next year. Dusan for those 3 as well. He should keep improving at a good rate.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:He's sure getting some good training though. Battling Tarc as a freshman, Lauri this year, Ayton next year. Dusan for those 3 as well. He should keep improving at a good rate.
Dusan, Chance and Ayton is a really good rotation next year. If Lee is ready to help too, that plus Pinder and we are (again) stacked.

As a junior and senior, Chance is going to be the sort of player Kadeem has been this year. The sort of brick and mortar guy who complements the 5 stars.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Chance reminds me a lot of Frye, who went from a back-up to Fox early in his career to key contributor on last years NBA title team.

I mean, his upward trajectory and improvement is on a similar path. From project to who knows?

Of course, Frye benefited from 'Big Man Coach Pastner'. :Rolls eyes:
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol "big man coach pastner". :roll:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chance kind of reminds me of AJ Bramlett on the offensive end. I hope he can improve his defensive game and be that type of guy for us. Good enough to get his own buckets when needed but knows his role, defends and does the little things, and gets a lot of buckets off scraps around the basket and the wings when they penetrate. That big night he had weeks back was just what was needed. Got some confidence back and he is actually engaged again, and now he is getting some easy buckets he probably wouldnt have if he were moping around. He went from a liability to a bench asset pretty quickly, and we still got a long way to March :)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Since the UNM game, Chance is 30-37 from the field, 82%.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Since the UNM game, Chance is 30-37 from the field, 82%.
That's good, right?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
That's good, right?
I would say he has done a good job of taking makeable shots.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
That's good, right?
I would say he has done a good job of taking makeable shots.
He's resorted to dunking the ball every Chance he gets...not a bad option since the other way wasn't working for him
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

His 15 footer has looked remarkably smoother lately too. I think it's all about confidence with Chance.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Now shooting 66% for the season. I suspect Chance is going to see a slight uptick in minutes now that Trier is back. Dusan is automatic inside and good finishing around the basket, but Chance cuts/reacts/finishes quicker than Dusan. An example being on that pick and roll with Trier. He got the ball about 10 feet out and attacked immediately and finished with a dunk. Swap that same play with Dusan. He may stop and pop, but it's a lower percentage shot. If he decides to attack, he isn't quick to get there and if there is anyone even close who he thinks will contest, more times than not he picks up his dribble and hesitates or pump fakes until he can get what he perceives is the cleaner shot, stopping the ball and allowing the defense to recover and possibly force him into dealing with two defenders.

When the matchups are in our favor, that is when I really like that Chance and Lauri combo at the 5 and 4. When all of the pieces are moving correctly, Chance essentially an asset on offense. He's just got to really clean up those dumb fouls. As he adds more size that will improve, but he's got to be smarter and knew when to say, OK I need to cheat here, rather than cheating at the elbow. Cant have him taking himself out of games and drawing the other team closer to the bonus.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chance is far more efficient offensively than last year. The downside is that his rebounds per 40 min are down 3 from last year and his blocks are half. Offensively, he is in a groove right now in terms of getting the shots he needs to get and finishing them. I would like to see his D and rebounding rise to match last year at least.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Bill Walton was right
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Alieberman wrote:Bill Walton was right
This is actually my life motto.
gumby

Post by gumby »

WTG, Chief! Doing everything better, but what really impressed me was the catch and dunk off the fast-break pass from PJC when it was 68-63. Ball was low and behind him. He still catches and dunks in stride. Very coordinated. Then the putback off the LM brick to seal the deal.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He's developing nicely. PF spot is made for him next year.
gumby

Post by gumby »

A taller Anthony Cook, which would be sweet.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:He's developing nicely. PF spot is made for him next year.

I'm pretty sure Ayton will start there, unless Dusan moves on. He will get all the minutes he wants though next year.

He will def be a starter as a senior though.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Ayton will start there, unless Dusan moves on. He will get all the minutes he wants though next year.

If Ayton does come, I would strongly consider Ayton at the 5 and Comanche at the 4. That is a better defensive and rebounding situation, and Ayton is easily big enough to play 5.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:

If Ayton does come, I would strongly consider Ayton at the 5 and Comanche at the 4. That is a better defensive and rebounding situation, and Ayton is easily big enough to play 5.
Ayton is the 4 and Comanche the 5 in that lineup.