gumby

Re: 2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Post by gumby »

Right where I want to be.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

i'm ok with it. beat oregon this weekend and we'll be top 3
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I expect Oregon to beat us.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:I expect Oregon to beat us.
Play like we did versus the Washington schools and we will lose that game.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I think we'll be up for Oregon, don't see them half assing it like they did this week
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:I think we'll be up for Oregon, don't see them half assing it like they did this week
I don't think they'll intentionally play off, but intensity and focus aren't always light switches that go on and off. That is why Miller was mad at the UW game. You want to create good habits so the intensity and focus is always high instead of being something you need to amp up.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Main Event wrote:I think we'll be up for Oregon, don't see them half assing it like they did this week
Agreed. I just hate that trip.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Tough trip and we don't match up with them all that well. They are very quick and tough to defend.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I don't think they'll intentionally play off, but intensity and focus aren't always light switches that go on and off. That is why Miller was mad at the UW game. You want to create good habits so the intensity and focus is always high instead of being something you need to amp up.
I agree some can't turn it on and off like that but I think ultimately that's what we saw this week and something we probably shoulda saw coming. Luckily for them they didn't have to learn that lesson the hard way by taking an L and instead Miller just threatened to take their lives 1 by 1 on the bench and in the locker room lol
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I agree some can't turn it on and off like that but I think ultimately that's what we saw this week and something we probably shoulda saw coming. Luckily for them they didn't have to learn that lesson the hard way by taking an L and instead Miller just threatened to take their lives 1 by 1 on the bench and in the locker room lol
Yeah. National championship winning teams have had worse lapses than what we had this weekend. It isn't the end of the world, but it means Miller has check that malaise creeping in. Frankly, I'm glad we have Oregon coming up. It will be good to have a put up or shut up game where there's no chance we can coast to a win.

Oregon will either force us to raise our game or show us what happens when we don't.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

After struggling these past two games I'm having trouble seeing AT currently as a starter. He channeled some hero ball this past weekend that didn't help the team. Here hoping they're all finding their roles still, I love AT's slashing ability just hope he can harness it within the overall structure of the team. The decision to go for the foul vs kick out to LM during the Washington st game, is an example of what I'm taking about. This is why I'm less bullish on the Oregon game, I think they need more time to gel with AT as a part of the line up now.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yeah. National championship winning teams have had worse lapses than what we had this weekend. It isn't the end of the world, but it means Miller has check that malaise creeping in. Frankly, I'm glad we have Oregon coming up. It will be good to have a put up or shut up game where there's no chance we can coast to a win.

Oregon will either force us to raise our game or show us what happens when we don't.
Yep, but also let's be prepared for an utter shit show against the Beavs where they employ zone all game long against us. MUST SEE TELEVISION!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Arizona up to #5 in both polls.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I like our chances.

I think we will be focused and ready.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Winning at Eugene (after winning at Westwood) would be amazing.

Problem is, if we do that, the team will probably letdown.

There is no happiness in basketball!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:After struggling these past two games I'm having trouble seeing AT currently as a starter. He channeled some hero ball this past weekend that didn't help the team. Here hoping they're all finding their roles still, I love AT's slashing ability just hope he can harness it within the overall structure of the team. The decision to go for the foul vs kick out to LM during the Washington st game, is an example of what I'm taking about. This is why I'm less bullish on the Oregon game, I think they need more time to gel with AT as a part of the line up now.
Getting Zo out there against good teams is a necessary part of the developmental process. His ability to mesh is not an overnight thing, and it can be a work in progress. Seeing a legit top team in Oregon should help focus things.

I worry more about laying an egg vs OSU. I tend to think we will perform vs the Ducks, but could easily see a letdown against the Beavers.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:After struggling these past two games I'm having trouble seeing AT currently as a starter. He channeled some hero ball this past weekend that didn't help the team. Here hoping they're all finding their roles still, I love AT's slashing ability just hope he can harness it within the overall structure of the team. The decision to go for the foul vs kick out to LM during the Washington st game, is an example of what I'm taking about. This is why I'm less bullish on the Oregon game, I think they need more time to gel with AT as a part of the line up now.
Getting Zo out there against good teams is a necessary part of the developmental process. His ability to mesh is not an overnight thing, and it can be a work in progress. Seeing a legit top team in Oregon should help focus things.

I worry more about laying an egg vs OSU. I tend to think we will perform vs the Ducks, but could easily see a letdown against the Beavers.
I already know the Beavs game is going to be one of those gouge out your eyes by halftime type games.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I already know the Beavs game is going to be one of those gouge out your eyes by halftime type games.
Ugh, this. This is one of my background images on my computer (I have a rotating set of pictures):

RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Romar's been around long enough to know SOME things. He knows there's two simple steps to have your marginally talented team (UW RPI = 194) be competitive with and potentially upset Top-10 Arizona's roster of 5* and those are:

-play a zone
-hope Az's 3's don't drop

Its that simple.
We are clueless when it comes to anything resembling zone. Not only do we not play, practice, teach, consider, or know zone but we think zone is un-manly. Playing zone is a dishonor upon your family and a stain on your eternal soul. Saying the word zone three times conjures the boogeyman.

Romar's no dummy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Now you're dropping in after 11 point wins and calling them potential upsets? Average margin of victory is like 14+ in league games. Your troll game is getting weaker by the day. Maybe try the internet equivalent of a zone defense to switch things up.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RiseAndFire wrote:Romar's been around long enough to know SOME things. He knows there's two simple steps to have your marginally talented team (UW RPI = 194) be competitive with and potentially upset Top-10 Arizona's roster of 5* and those are:

-play a zone

Its that simple.
We are clueless when it comes to anything resembling zone. Not only do we not play, practice, teach, consider, or know zone but we think zone is un-manly. Playing zone is a dishonor upon your family and a stain on your eternal soul. Saying the word zone three times conjures the boogeyman.

Romar's no dummy
I don't like you and I don't like zone.

Both you and the concept of zone defense are for pussies. :D
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:Romar's been around long enough to know SOME things. He knows there's two simple steps to have your marginally talented team (UW RPI = 194) be competitive with and potentially upset Top-10 Arizona's roster of 5* and those are:

-play a zone

Its that simple.

Romar's no dummy
I don't like you and I don't like zone.

Both you and the concept of zone defense are for pussies. :D
Solid post, just a really solid post, Choochoo.

I don't know how Beachcat is on the outs and R&F gets to troll like he does. Zone trolling is really a bad sort of trolling.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Brutal wins are still wins.

People still bitching about zone. Excellent.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:Brutal wins are still wins.

People still bitching about zone. Excellent.
Not people. Person. Smallish person who lives under a bridge most likely.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

i get the feeling that the shouting yesterday is nothing compared to what practice will be like this week for the team.

CSM said during a presser last season, at perhaps the most frustrating point of his coaching career, something along the lines of, "the team is going to have to learn: first - that I'M the coach and they only play for ME. second - they are going to at it this week so hard, they won't be able to BREATHE". i think it was right after the oregon disaster game that snapped our home winning streak and where kaleb told Miller to relax. if CSM can get that team's heads on straight, i feel pretty good that he'll pull it together for ntosu.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Miller repeatedly praises this years team for their approach and their openness to coaching. I believe he's literally singled out every single player with praise in pressers throughout the season. If I had time I could link all of those.

There isn't an issue with this team like there was last year. If people are upset because he yelled again, give it up. It was the least shocking thing about last nights game.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

i have noticed that CSM has been far more upbeat in this season's pressers than in the past. he used to come in kind of ticked off at times, and would occasionally get a little chippy with some of the reporters. not so this season. chalked it up to mellowing a bit with age, or maybe just having a team whose offense doesn't rely on like, mark tollefson to step up.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yea, I can live with a reality check from Oregon. But that Oregon State game could be trouble x3: looking ahead to the oregon game, taking them too lightly, and piggybacking off this weeks effort. If I knew they would only play man ro man, I wouldnt have any doubts. But....
Last edited by rgdeuce on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I favor the coaches who get really get into their players when needed. If it isnt timely yelling, its showing up to the next practice and calmly telling them to line up on the baseline and having them run suicides until their dicks fall off. Most effective coach I ever had would sit there and tell us stories about his latest phone conversation with George Karl, how Danny Ainge would eat raw onions before games to make whoever he was guarding not want the ball, and Tree Rollins bringing switchblades on opponents' team buses, and We ran until he decided he was done telling stories.

You got to pick and choose your spots though. Miller has "lightened up" a lot this year. Dont know if its because of the players, if it is him growing, or both.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beavs are 0-4 at home in conference play:

Lost to:

SC by 7
UCLA by 13
Stanford by 16
Cal by 11

I think those two subpar games against the Washingtons work against the Beavs. Miller more likely to have the team's attention.
gumby

Post by gumby »

OTOH,

Oregon State has defeated the Wildcats six times, all at Gill Coliseum, when Arizona was ranked in the Top 25:

Nov. 30, 1989 -- Oregon State 84, No. 2 Arizona 61
Jan. 23, 1999 -- Oregon State 60, No. 9 Arizona 59
March 2, 2000 -- Oregon State 70, No. 3 Arizona 69 (OT)
Feb. 21, 2004 -- Oregon State 90, No. 14 Arizona 84
Jan. 12, 2006 -- Oregon State 75, No. 24 Arizona 65
Jan. 11, 2014 -- Oregon State 58, No. 7 Arizona 56

Note: Why the heck did we play them in November in 1989?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

What's the status of Little Tinkle?
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Chicat wrote:Now you're dropping in after 11 point wins and calling them potential upsets? Average margin of victory is like 14+ in league games.
um RPI 194 team that ASU just smoked came in, played a simple zone D and held us to 14 damn points in the first 3/4 of the first half and yes led at halftime

I call that a potential upset
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Adorable.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RiseAndFire wrote:
Chicat wrote:Now you're dropping in after 11 point wins and calling them potential upsets? Average margin of victory is like 14+ in league games.
um RPI 194 team that ASU just smoked came in, played a simple zone D and held us to 14 damn points in the first 3/4 of the first half and yes led at halftime

You can call it whatever you like. I just think it's hilarious you've been waiting and hoping for a semi-subpar performance to pay us a visit.

They won by double digits. Would it have been triple digits if CSM taught zone in practice?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Olsondogg wrote:What's the status of Little Tinkle?
Will remain in his pants.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:

You can call it whatever you like. I just think it's hilarious you've been waiting and hoping for a semi-subpar performance to pay us a visit.

They won by double digits. Would it have been triple digits if CSM taught zone in practice?
If Miller played zone, we would have like 6 national championships in his world.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

84Cat wrote:Tough trip and we don't match up with them all that well. They are very quick and tough to defend.
We are also pretty fucking quick and pretty fucking good at Defense...?
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Chicat wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:

I've been watching and then with the UCLA game I actually got my hopes up. That was the first big game we've defied the odds and won since @Michigan? Duke in 2011?....., maybe we CAN rely on the three pointer in every game and the team will actually add up to more than the sum of its parts for once

then the three shooting came back to earth and we struggle with two +100 RPI bottom dwellers and welp, we are who I thought we were

I get that you you try to me out to be this wild renegade that Bucks the conventional wisdom, a true maverick,. That's cool but I'm really just a fan that sees a team with 8 straight (soon to be 9) top 10 recruiting classes always coming up short in March, and searching for answers.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

RiseAndFire wrote:
Chicat wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:

I've been watching and then with the UCLA game I actually got my hopes up. That was the first big game we've defied the odds and won since @Michigan? Duke in 2011?....., maybe we CAN rely on the three pointer in every game and the team will actually add up to more than the sum of its parts for once

then the three shooting came back to earth and we struggle with two +100 RPI bottom dwellers and welp, we are who I thought we were

I get that you you try to me out to be this wild renegade that Bucks the conventional wisdom, a true maverick,. That's cool but I'm really just a fan that sees a team with 8 straight (soon to be 9) top 10 recruiting classes always coming up short in March, and searching for answers.
Good grief....you sound like BeachCat97 :-(

''always coming up short in March".....exaggerate much? 2011 we over-exceeded.....yes, we have definitely under-performed in the NCAAs relative to our abilities overall.....Lute's teams included.

However, being negative this early on is really annoying....Care to make a wager like BC97 did? ;-)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RiseAndFire wrote:
Chicat wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:

Lot of other teams and message boards out there. Some even employ zone.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RiseAndFire wrote:
Chicat wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:

What we are is the #5 ranked team in the USA, undefeated in a conference that includes 3 top 15 teams.

2017 is Miller's 9th class; the last 7 will have been ranked in the Top 10 - the first 2 were not.

And we have been to the Elite 8 3x & the Sweet Sixteen 1x.... I'd hardly call that 'underachieving'. Last year was a certain disappointment for a few reasons... everybody has them occasionally. Aside from that? I'd hardly say we've ever 'underachieved'. Years 1 & 3 were fully expected, sandwiching a shockingly unexpected run in Year 2,

What about Kentucky with Calipari. Only ONE Natty? This will be his 9TH STRAIGHT #1 ranked class.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Good and fair post Harvey!

I can't wait for CSM to get this FF monkey of his back.....He's got to be the best, if not then one of the best, coaches out there without one. This could be the year, Bear Down.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

Oregon state should break out that gimmicky 1-3-1 zone just for old times sake.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RiseAndFire wrote:
Chicat wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:

The win @Michigan was defying the odds? Good lord you are the highest order of simple aren't you Jack? Also doesn't the fact that those two games are literally the only two you could think of in regards to defying the odds mean that we've been too damn good to have to defy odds in any other matchup?

dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Good and fair post Harvey!

I can't wait for CSM to get this FF monkey of his back.....He's got to be the best, if not then one of the best, coaches out there. This could be the year, Bear Down.
Sorry Bangkok, fixed it for you by taking out the "without one". CSM is a top 5 overall coach in the country, whether he has a final four or not.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

My 2 cents on Miller's tenure here:

Year 1: Above average. Our roster was devastated. With decent returners in Fogg, Wise and nothing else but freshmen, a .500 season wasn't great but it stabilized things.

Year 2: Just fantastic. Making the Elite Eight and being a heartbeat from the FF was so far above where anyone thought we would be it isn't funny.

Year 3: Below average. It was a letdown coming off tourney success and with a really good recruiting class. That said, if it wasn't for year 2, it would be easy to see this as performing to expectations.

Year 4: Above average. Given the state of the roster (lots of freshmen and Lyons trying to be a pg) a Sweet 16 was a good result. It loses a little luster when seen against the success we had early in the year, but overall, not bad.

Year 5: Very good. The only reason this wasn't an incredible success was the Ashley injury and getting nipped by Wisky. Other than that, this year was filled with a ton of highs.

Year 6: As expected. We were supposed to be a top five team and we were. The bar was high and we hit it for the most part. That this was not a huge success is a measure of how much Milelr has done.

Year 7: Below average. There were some good moments, but the team never really came together and the early exist to Wichita State was ugly.

Year 8: Pretty good so far, but...?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I think it is fair to say that Miller has both under and over achieved at Arizona when factoring in everything that goes into college basketball coaching.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Whole different world if Brandon Ashley doesn't break his foot at Cal
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Look at all the things that had to happen to keep Miller out of just one final four. To the average man with average luck, he has two or three and the world is hailing him as the second coming of Coach K.