Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

Re: UA Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion

Post by NYCat »

Can't trust Miller, small feet.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Am I looking to far into this but Stanley is the only one wearing nba socks? Haha
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/u ... f887a.html
“I know everyone’s impression of him will be they’ll see him and kind of push him to the side because of how small he is,” McConnell said. “In my opinion, that would be idiotic because the kid can play with the best of them. I learned that when he stopped on campus. He’s probably one of the best players I’ve played against. He’s deceivingly quick. He’s a smart player and a great point guard. He’ll definitely be able to lead this team to great things.”
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

It's great to be back to talented upperclassmen leading the team, and all but NBA-bound freshmen growing in backup roles.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Main Event wrote:
I don't like how Stanley's standing apart from the rest of the team. Plus those socks. I sense an audition year...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:I don't like how Stanley's standing apart from the rest of the team. Plus those socks. I sense an audition year...
I'm not sure that everyone is going to realize you are joking.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

You think?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Craig Victor is not smiling. Not smiling equals a problem. This team is doomed.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Joseph Blair is the tallest guy in the picture! Oh no we are not MASSIVE!!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

3goggles wrote:Joseph Blair is the tallest guy in the picture! Oh no we are not MASSIVE!!!

We are also THICK. Well, at least the linebacker on the right is.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Olsondogg wrote:
3goggles wrote:Joseph Blair is the tallest guy in the picture! Oh no we are not MASSIVE!!!

Yeah he is physically impressive compared to the other college athletes in this picture.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I am going on record that TJ got faster cause of the new haircut.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

It is pretty slick!
prh

Post by prh »

Olsondogg wrote:

Hey let's get creative here. SJ looks like a linebacker. We have issues at linebacker. Hmm...
gumby

Post by gumby »

Main Event wrote:
Miracle Mile! Must be in great shape.
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

prh wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

Hey let's get creative here. SJ looks like a linebacker. We have issues at linebacker. Hmm...

Never in a million years would Miller let this thought even become a thought...
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Olsondogg wrote:I am going on record that TJ got faster cause of the new haircut.
This better be the game day hair-do

prh

Post by prh »

Olsondogg wrote:
prh wrote:

Never in a million years would Miller let this thought even become a thought...
Oh no not at all. I'm not really good with the smiley faces, so pick whichever one goes with a joke at our linebackers and picture that. I guess the regular laughing one would be fine. :lol: :lol:
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Anybody know when the meet the team is going to be this year?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

For selfish reasons, I'm sad Nick is a part of the picture, but not the team. I hope Victor's game lives up to that expression. We could use an enforcer off the bench.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I think I'm alone in this, but I'm somewhat kinda excited for basketball season.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:I think I'm alone in this, but I'm somewhat kinda excited for basketball season.
It's gonna be a big one.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Didn't know where else to put

CBB Future Power Rankings
Ranking the 25 teams most likely to have success over next three seasons

6 Arizona WildcatsImage
Why they are here: The Wildcats have had a remarkable turnaround. Sean Miller was the right person to replace two interim coaches who followed Lute Olson. He has masterfully mixed his recruiting base in the Northeast and an adoption of Arizona's historical past with the state of California's talent. Arizona has been the benchmark program in the Pac-12 for decades now and that trend is going to continue. Arizona can get involved with any of the top players in the West, and the improvements to the McKale Center should make it even more inviting. The results under Miller speak volumes already with a Sweet 16 and two Elite Eight finishes in the past four seasons. The Arizona brand is national once again -- this program will be hunting titles. -- Andy Katz

Dilemma: Miller has raised the bar in Tucson, Arizona, over the past few years, but he knows he can't continue to replenish the cupboard if he keeps losing players early to the NBA. Arizona is not Kentucky, Kansas or North Carolina. Miller had some good fortune while Ben Howland and Kevin O'Neill were at UCLA and USC, but now it won't be quite as easy to raid California. The only other concern would be Miller leaving Arizona to return closer to the East Coast, but that's tough to imagine while he's got it going (as he does right now) in Tucson. -- Jeff Goodman

Pipeline: With continuous top-10 recruiting classes, Miller has pretty much owned the West Coast in recruiting. One of the best freshmen in college basketball will be Stanley Johnson, who combines power and finesse. With a rock-solid body and a strong motor, Johnson can dominate anywhere inside the arc and is a more-than-capable 3-point shooter. The Wildcats' 2015 recruiting class is shaping up to yet again be highly ranked. -- Paul Biancardi
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college ... ee-seasons
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

If ESPN's future power rankings are ranking the next three seasons only we should be top-3 minimum. Who was top-5? I'm sure UK is 1.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

1)Duke
2)Kansas
3)UK
4)Louisville
5)Florida

COACHING (25 percent): Quality of coaching staff over next three seasons, with heavy emphasis on the head coach
CURRENT TALENT (25 percent): Quality of players currently in the program, focusing on the future
RECRUITING (25 percent): Projected quality of 2015 and 2016 recruiting classes, and recruiting momentum
PROGRAM POWER (15 percent): Fan and institutional support, facilities, resources and tradition
STABILITY (10 percent): Accounts for potential roster and coaching staff turnover

Just in case
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Damn, obviously not what I expected! Weird list.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Louisville at 4 is a joke. The other 4 I am ok with. I think with Donovan coaching team USA he will get some 5* recruits and for the same reason I think Miller will clean up in recruiting.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:1)Duke
2)Kansas
3)UK
4)Louisville
5)Florida

COACHING (25 percent): Quality of coaching staff over next three seasons, with heavy emphasis on the head coach
CURRENT TALENT (25 percent): Quality of players currently in the program, focusing on the future
RECRUITING (25 percent): Projected quality of 2015 and 2016 recruiting classes, and recruiting momentum
PROGRAM POWER (15 percent): Fan and institutional support, facilities, resources and tradition
STABILITY (10 percent): Accounts for potential roster and coaching staff turnover

Just in case
Duke's main issues are disappointment in the tourney and Coach K's shelf life. Louisville has to question Pitino's staying power too. I'm surprised Miller's potential for greater longevity doesn't weigh more heavily. That said, it isn't a stunner that we fall behind East Coast schools in anything.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

All the coaches from the top five schools have won at least one National Championship and have been to multiple Final Fours.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

KaibabKat wrote:All the coaches from the top five schools have won at least one National Championship and have been to multiple Final Fours.
It's not the past 5 years it's the next 3 years! Miller has the brightest future of all those coaches besides Donovan which they seem to be neck and neck!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Why is Jeff Goodman such a tool? That's the real question.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Olsondogg wrote:Why is Jeff Goodman such a tool? That's the real question.
http://frontrow.espn.go.com/2013/06/rep ... l-insider/

The Boston native, who has worked for the Associated Press, Scout.com, FoxSports.com, and most recently, CBSSports.com, fell in love with journalism in his teens, and college basketball, during his studies at the University of Arizona.

What attracted you to this new role?
There’s nothing like ESPN. It’s the Duke and [North] Carolina. It’s the Kentucky. It’s a place that I didn’t even aspire to have a chance to work at because I didn’t even think it was realistic. I’ve always worked with great people and know that will continue here.

At least he changed his bio that mentioned the 3 first round exits during his time at the UA without mentioning the FInal 4 that also happened.

I follow a lot of college sportswriters tweets, but not his. Same with Doyle.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

So he changed his bio to rid himself of his Arizona shame only to include an accolade to Dook?

Dude is a tool and became a bigger tool since joining the WWL. He's not Seth Davis or Gre-double-g Doyle yet, but he's getting there...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Why is Jeff Goodman such a tool? That's the real question.
http://frontrow.espn.go.com/2013/06/rep ... l-insider/

The Boston native, who has worked for the Associated Press, Scout.com, FoxSports.com, and most recently, CBSSports.com, fell in love with journalism in his teens, and college basketball, during his studies at the University of Arizona.

What attracted you to this new role?
There’s nothing like ESPN. It’s the Duke and [North] Carolina. It’s the Kentucky. It’s a place that I didn’t even aspire to have a chance to work at because I didn’t even think it was realistic. I’ve always worked with great people and know that will continue here.

At least he changed his bio that mentioned the 3 first round exits during his time at the UA without mentioning the FInal 4 that also happened.

I follow a lot of college sportswriters tweets, but not his. Same with Doyle.
If it's like North Carolina, I assume literacy is not a prerequisite for the job.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I would just like to mention that I am excited for basketball season to begin. Like really excited. Like time-is-moving-slooooooowly type excited.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Olsondogg wrote:I would just like to mention that I am excited for basketball season to begin. Like really excited. Like time-is-moving-slooooooowly type excited.
Same here. I love watching my teams in other sports, UA football...but UA hoops as far as I can remember is my #1 passion. This year is going to be amazing, I'm ready for the ride.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Gettin' swole.
Formerly McLurvin
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Zeus getting some guns.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Merkin wrote:Zeus getting some guns.
He needs some lower body strength along with strength in his hands.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Ranking the nation's top offenses
7. Arizona Wildcats
This one might seem like a stretch. Arizona wasn't what you'd call poetry in motion on offense last season, and that was with first-team All-American Nick Johnson in the lineup. Johnson and fellow starter Aaron Gordon are now in the NBA, but hear me out. If freshman Stanley Johnson (a projected 2015 lottery pick) pans out for Sean Miller, a rotation that already brings Brandon Ashley, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and T.J. McConnell to the table should top what the Wildcats got done on offense in 2013-14.
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college ... basketball

Ranking the nation's top defenses
1. Arizona Wildcats
I'd feel even more confident with this pick if Aaron Gordon were still in Tucson. Nevertheless, with a healthy Brandon Ashley on hand to go along with Kaleb Tarczewski, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, T.J. McConnell and highly acclaimed freshman Stanley Johnson, I trust Sean Miller will have what he requires to put together another outstanding defense.

Keep in mind the Wildcat D can be "worse" than it was in 2013-14 and still be excellent. Last season, Arizona held Pac-12 opponents to just 0.91 points per possession. No other defense in the league allowed less than one point per trip. Miller and the Cats took their defense to a different level, and even without Gordon that D projects to be very good again in 2014-15.
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college ... basketball
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Pass!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I think it looks awesome.

Sean Miller interview starts at 18:50ish: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=11581563
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Tequila!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Does anybody know if there will be a meet the team this year?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

3goggles wrote:Does anybody know if there will be a meet the team this year?
Not sure, but I saw this on fb this morning. Not sure what the event was:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... =2&theater
gumby

Post by gumby »

Jefe wrote:Tequila!
Nice shot, buddy!
Right where I want to be.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Jefe wrote:
3goggles wrote:Does anybody know if there will be a meet the team this year?
Not sure, but I saw this on fb this morning. Not sure what the event was:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... =2&theater
The video is unavailable. What was it about?