let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Puerco

Re: let's talk '17

Post by Puerco »

I might take you up on that offer!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Bowen taking unofficial to tonight's game vs UCLA apparently
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

And this tweet and the others were retweeted by Brian Bowen himself on Twitter

I guess that confirms it, seal the deal Cats/Miller

Chance he commits maybe?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Time to end this one
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That's certainly a great sign
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Izzo has to be pissed. :D
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I don't think he ends up at MSU even if he doesn't go to Arizona honestly. For him it's all about who is on next year's roster. There's a reason he continues to delay his commitment. I wouldn't expect a commitment until probably the McDonald's game.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Definitely a good sign though....let's hope we Bear Down and show him a great win!
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

That's a real good sign for Arizona. If he doesn't commit, it likely means all the other wings stayed.

Give me a sophomore trier alkins and Simmons and if one leaves replace him w a frosh Bowen. Either way we are loaded next year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm ecstatic we shit the bed in front of numerous 5 star recruits guys, how about you?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well we will always be able to recruit well under Miller but tonight doesn't help our cause with the guys that were there
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Are you guys really suggesting that a recruit thinks "I really want to commit there but they lost by 5 to the number 5 team in the country so I just can't pull the trigger."
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RaisingArizona wrote:Are you guys really suggesting that a recruit thinks "I really want to commit there but they lost by 5 to the number 5 team in the country so I just can't pull the trigger."
It doesn't help. Emotional pull helps. Being at a game where the home team recruiting him pulls a big win is a very positive factor in recruiting. Duval for instance was at KU's huge comeback against WVU. Tons of emotion in that comeback win and helped give KU some positive momentum.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

RaisingArizona wrote:Are you guys really suggesting that a recruit thinks "I really want to commit there but they lost by 5 to the number 5 team in the country so I just can't pull the trigger."
17 year olds these days live in the moment. They were raised with smartphones and high speed internet and social media. I don't doubt that's how some of them operate.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

We got Rawle to commit right after losing to Oregon, stop over thinking shit
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

If you say so, ASUHATER. Nothing that a coed can't fix tonight. Would it have better to have won? Sure, but if we're talking about Bowen then I imagine the way Trier is playing will help us. Both b/c he will likely declare and b/c Tugs can see how he might be utilized. As far as '18 recruits go, whatever. We'll get ours.
Last edited by RaisingArizona on Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:We got Rawle to commit right after losing to Oregon, stop over thinking shit
We were by far and away his best actual offer at the time.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:We got Rawle to commit right after losing to Oregon, stop over thinking shit
We're still better than any team he's considering, our main comp might be NIT bound. If he's worried about PT, Zo's recent play should put his concerns to rest.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
We're still better than any team he's considering, our main comp might be NIT bound. If he's worried about PT, Zo's recent play should put his concerns to rest.
I'm more talking about Duval, Akot, etc.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I don't think we were getting Duval regardless and I think we ultimately land Akot.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I think a guy like Duval watches that and thinks "too bad I'm not on the floor, AZ would've won going away." I don't think we get him, but I believe that has more to do with the marketability of Kansas and Duke moreso than anything else.

As far as the 18 guys we're going to end up with a top 5-7 class. It'll work itself out.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I don't think we were getting Duval regardless and I think we ultimately land Akot.
That's more than fair. At this juncture it's far from a sure thing Duval even ends up on a college campus. I think Oregon is a legit threat for Akot, but we'll know soon enough.
prh

Post by prh »

ChooChooCat wrote:
It doesn't help. Emotional pull helps. Being at a game where the home team recruiting him pulls a big win is a very positive factor in recruiting. Duval for instance was at KU's huge comeback against WVU. Tons of emotion in that comeback win and helped give KU some positive momentum.
So Duval got to see KU fans leaving in droves with 2 minutes left, that's fun.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Duval is probably going to Kansas Or Duke IMO, but it has virtually nothing to do with the results of the game that occurred during his visit. It's about his brand. Both of those schools have a vacancy at point guard and a brand with greater recognition. Duval is thinking about his pro career in making his college decision and the UCLA-AZ results have no impact on that.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

"ll second the McKale atmosphere. I cant remember the last game in McKale that felt like that. If I had to guess, it was a UCLA game in the 90s."

I took that from one of RGDeuce's posts in another thread. I would argue that the atmosphere mentioned above is more important than the results of the game when it comes to snagging recruits that were at the game.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yeah, he saw McKale at its loudest with the most energy it has had in years. He saw College Gameday. He saw everything else he saw before. The familiarity from a second visit makes it feel more like home, let alone the statement that taking another on your own dime makes.

I've said this before: a loss means absolute jack to most recruits. In their head, they are thinking of everything they could have done or offered that would have helped Arizona win that game. He has already commented on Miller's success with wings and he SPECIFICALLY named Trier as an example. He was seated 15 feet from the court when Trier went off on UCLA and had the best game of his college career.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

If that loss proved anything to Duval it's how much the Cat's need a PG
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Saw Bowen and his family on University Ave before the game. They were at Frogs for about an hour at its rowdiest
gumby

Post by gumby »

Oops.
Right where I want to be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

haha I did the same thing on University. I saw the crazy hair on the kid and thought it was one of the Balls :P Completely forgot Bowen has crazy hair as well.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Are we not Bowens best that he's considering??

Outside of Sparty it isn't close.

and if a guy like Duval can't look at the possibilities of playing w Ayton and whatever returning talent we have then idk what to tell him.

We came on strong for Ferg, Simmons, Alkins , and even JJ late. I think barring the whole squad coming back, Miller will close strong w one big time guy.

Also a little birdie told me an NC St kid w Pittsburgh ties will traditional transfer next year if there's room next year. Forget his name but he seemed like a roll player.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

RaisingArizona wrote:Duval is probably going to Kansas Or Duke IMO, but it has virtually nothing to do with the results of the game that occurred during his visit. It's about his brand. Both of those schools have a vacancy at point guard and a brand with greater recognition. Duval is thinking about his pro career in making his college decision and the UCLA-AZ results have no impact on that.

I disagree w PG vacancy. Not at Duke anyway. Frank Jackson ain't leaving and he's better than PJC.

Kansas maybe and I guess the brand at both those schools is a little higher profile.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

PennZona20 wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:Duval is probably going to Kansas Or Duke IMO, but it has virtually nothing to do with the results of the game that occurred during his visit. It's about his brand. Both of those schools have a vacancy at point guard and a brand with greater recognition. Duval is thinking about his pro career in making his college decision and the UCLA-AZ results have no impact on that.

I disagree w PG vacancy. Not at Duke anyway. Frank Jackson ain't leaving and he's better than PJC.

Kansas maybe and I guess the brand at both those schools is a little higher profile.
Frank Jackson has 0 PG in him, besides his size. A LITTLE higher profile? Duke and Kansas are on ESPN at 8 pm ET like 15 times a year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Are we not Bowens best that he's considering??

Outside of Sparty it isn't close.

and if a guy like Duval can't look at the possibilities of playing w Ayton and whatever returning talent we have then idk what to tell him.

We came on strong for Ferg, Simmons, Alkins , and even JJ late. I think barring the whole squad coming back, Miller will close strong w one big time guy.

Also a little birdie told me an NC St kid w Pittsburgh ties will traditional transfer next year if there's room next year. Forget his name but he seemed like a roll player.
Bowen narrowed his list after receiving numerous high major offers. Rawle's actual options were Arizona, NC State, and St. John's. Now there was a reason for that, which has nothing to do with the player Rawle is and the person he is, but we were by far and away his best offer. Bowen's Final Five are well above Rawle's choices and Bowen eliminated other better options too prior.

Duval will have talent to play with at Duke or Kansas too. I wouldn't be mad at him for going to either of those schools over us. Then again chances are good he doesn't go to school at all either way.

I took a look at NC State's roster and I don't see any kid from PA on their team. That doesn't mean no one on that team has Pitt ties, but there's legitimately nobody on the roster outside of Maverick Rowan that would be worth bringing as a traditional transfer. Maybe Markell Johnson, but I'd hope we could land a better PG in 2018 than have to bring him in.

If I'm looking at a transfer possibility, this is my guy as a grad transfer: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... rcus-keene" target="_blank

We just got his AD... :D
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:
If not Bowen and Duval then Bowen and a transfer of some sort is the best guess.

There's rumors that a player previously believed to for sure be leaving after this year will very likely be staying now. That may impact Bowen's decision or a player currently on the roster's decision if true. Will be very interesting to see how it plays out.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Kobi?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Id love another transfer. Working out great so far
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Kobi?
No.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:Kobi?
No.
Rawle-I'm happy.
Allonzo-I'm happy, maybe moreso than with Rawle.
Lauri-Don't tease me like that, it isn't fair.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Supposedly Kobi is gone barring a hail mary, so guessing Zo. Though Lauri+Ayton would have me feeling some type of way
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I don't see how Trier would affect Bowen playing small forward on the 2018 team. Lauri, maybe if we play him at the 3 with Ayton at the 4, which I don't really like that idea (preferably Lauri/Ayton @ the (4/5). He'd get killed by athletic 3s or 3 guard lineups.

Rawle? I can't possibly believe he's thinking of leaving, he's behind Kobi, Trier - likely missing the 2nd round entirely. Rawle is combo guard not a 3.

If I had to guess who it is, it's Lauri. His family has said they want him in college 2 years, so not that crazy of an idea. Even if unlikely.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:I don't see how Trier would affect Bowen playing small forward on the 2018 team. Lauri, maybe if we play him at the 3 with Ayton at the 4, which I don't really like that idea (preferably Lauri/Ayton @ the (4/5). He'd get killed by athletic 3s or 3 guard lineups.

Rawle? I can't possibly believe he's thinking of leaving, he's behind Kobi, Trier - likely missing the 2nd round entirely. Rawle is combo guard not a 3.

If I had to guess who it is, it's Lauri. His family has said they want him in college 2 years, so not that crazy of an idea. Even if unlikely.
How would Lauri impact a 3 man?

Rawle has predominantly played the 3 all year long and not once has he played point guard, which he'd have to to make him a combo guard. He obviously can play the 2 as well, but once again depends on the lineup. Trier plays the 2 and 3 pending on the lineup.

Think of it this way, if both Rawle and Trier returned next year, two guys who would not return to come off the bench mind you, would that affect Bowen?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:I don't see how Trier would affect Bowen playing small forward on the 2018 team. Lauri, maybe if we play him at the 3 with Ayton at the 4, which I don't really like that idea (preferably Lauri/Ayton @ the (4/5). He'd get killed by athletic 3s or 3 guard lineups.

How would Lauri impact a 3 man?

Rawle has predominantly played the 3 all year long and not once has he played point guard, which he'd have to to make him a combo guard. He obviously can play the 2 as well, but once again depends on the lineup. Trier plays the 2 and 3 pending on the lineup.

Think of it this way, if both Rawle and Trier returned next year, two guys who would not return to come off the bench mind you, would that affect Bowen?
If both Rawle and Trier returned, add in Smith and Randolph and you have a packed wing rotation without Bowen. Soph Rawle and Junior Trier would soak up most of the minutes.

Then you have Ira Lee as a bigger option or a smaller 4. I don't really see how the numbers work out for Bowen. It's not like you can go small because you have Ayton, Dusan, Chance, Pinder and Lee unless someone leaves.

PG is the only position we are one deep.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Simmons going the pit stop route?

Good luck, I guess.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

If Kobi wants to make a D League roster...sure. Rawle and Kobi will get feedback but I see them both coming back. Trier coming back is laughable and Lauri is the only one I have no clue on. He could be ready but I hope he comes back
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

We have two big holes next year, PG & Wing/3/SF. Just because Rawle plays in 3 guard lineups doesn't make him a SF.
Since we lost Smith, we have no one to fill the hole besides running 3 guard lineups. But we're weaker on d, and get killed by long athletic wings.

Love how PJC has been playing lately, but I'm still hesitant having him as the only option. PJC w Barcello as the only backup is scary. Against better teams and because of his limitations (defense, size), we'll have to run lineups of

Kobi or Trier, Rawle, ____ (Bowen if he chooses Ariz), Ayton, Chance/Dusan. Similar to this year with Allen, Trier, Rawle, Lauri, Dusan.

I can't even believe Rawle is considering leaving, he's behind Kobi/Trier. With Kobi the best prospect of the 3, but he's at best a mid 2nd rounder.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:We have two big holes next year, PG & Wing/3/SF. Just because Rawle plays in 3 guard lineups doesn't make him a SF.
Since we lost Smith, we have no one to fill the hole besides running 3 guard lineups. But we're weaker on d, and get killed by long athletic wings.

Love how PJC has been playing lately, but I'm still hesitant having him as the only option. PJC w Barcello as the only backup is scary. Against better teams and because of his limitations (defense, size), we'll have to run lineups of

Kobi or Trier, Rawle, ____ (Bowen if he chooses Ariz), Ayton, Chance/Dusan. Similar to this year with Allen, Trier, Rawle, Lauri, Dusan.

I can't even believe Rawle is considering leaving, he's behind Kobi/Trier. With Kobi the best prospect of the 3, but he's at best a mid 2nd rounder.
Tell me what the difference is between the 2 and 3 in Sean Miller's system. I get you want a long athletic guy at the 3 if you can get him, but long athletic 3s are rare in college basketball and if you have one he's not likely to be around longer than a year. If Zo and Rawle return next year those are your starting 2 and 3, that's it. Also there's plenty to like about Brian Bowen, but if you want improved defense at the 3, he is not your answer for that at all, at least as a freshman.

I agree completely on PJC. I love things about him, but I'm just not sure he's a starting PG for a final four team.

Rawle has always been a possible one and done no matter what, but I think he's more likely to return than not. Now if Arizona lands Bowen, Zo returns, and another scorer comes in (even at the PG position) then it'll be interesting to see what he does.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

PJC is the reason, we're going to need him to be the backup. If you take him out of the lineup, someone has to be the primary ball handler because we don't have a Kadeem Allen next year.

So hopefully Trier (I don't see him returning) or Kobi return, one of those is going to be the primary ball handler (1 guard), and Rawle will be the 2, who else is filling the 3rd spot in the lineup? Randolph? Smith? Lee? If Rawle is at the 3, who's the 2?

Like this year, our best lineup (Allen, Trier, Rawle, Lauri, Dusan) won't include PJC next year either. So a couple of possibilities

Trier or Kobi
Rawle
____
Ayton
Chance

Or

Trier or Kobi
____
Rawle
Ayton
Chance

Who's filling the hole in either lineup?

I simply don't trust PJC to be the starter the whole way, great backup. But he won't be part of the best lineup, the one we roll out vs the better teams or the late game, clutch lineup. The only way Rawle at the 3 works is if we have PJC at the 1, which I don't see it tbh.