Question on the tech called ...

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Frybry02

Question on the tech called ...

Post by Frybry02 »

CU called a timeout without any left. LM shot the FT and CU got the ball back. I am trying to figure out why CU. The only explanation I can come up with is that the opposing team gets a FT and then the possession determines the side out. Anyone know the exact ruling? Thanks.
rgdeuce

Re: Question on the tech called ...

Post by rgdeuce »

I didnt get that either. I thought the team that shoots the free throw gets the ball. Im trying to think back to the Chris Webber play.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

not sure, but I think now that bench T's, ad court T's have a different ruling as to side out, and 1 vs. 2 shots.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Still looking for a good link for NCAA. NBA and High School rules, CU would have lost possession.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I was more concerned about Trier getting thrown to the ground with no call going after the ball. Also did CU even have possession when the TO was called?

Last edited by Merkin on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Still looking for a good link for NCAA. NBA and High School rules, CU would have lost possession.
Did you try Pac 12 rules? Those are somewhat similar to NCAA rules, but have a number of important differences.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Like the "ucla immunity clause" or the subtle "ring Miller up when possible" addendum?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Like the "ucla immunity clause" or the subtle "ring Miller up when possible" addendum?
There are lots of subtle differences. I'll toss out a few of ones I've seen too:

-On a charge/block call. In the first half, follow your heart. In the second half, remember how you called it in the first half, and then do the direct opposite.

-On game management. Begin the game by letting them play. Gradually realize that a fight is about to break out. Overreact and call fouls on 9 straight possessions. Note: the opposite is actually a valid strategy, as the important part is that you go too far in one direction and rein it in by seriously overcompensating in a way that baffles the game's participants.

-On handling Bobby Hurley's S&M hand binding gestures. Go with what you feel. It isn't like it will stop him.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

:lol:

I also like the " No team named Arizona shall get up on double digits on a non-Arizona opponent" and the "make up calls issued should be no less than 2 and no more than 5 per game"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I noticed one you guys missed:

- Once a game spend at least ten minutes reviewing a phantom thrown elbow or erroneous clock malfunction. To pass the time at the monitor, watch a Law & Order re-run. Then issue a ruling that is baffling to both coaches and enrages one to the point he starts removing his clothing.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Still looking for a good link for NCAA. NBA and High School rules, CU would have lost possession.
Did you try Pac 12 rules? Those are somewhat similar to NCAA rules, but have a number of important differences.
AKA the Larry Scott codicil.

In any event, the refs got it right, assuming CU did have possession.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/14229 ... asketball/" target="_blank

Running Out of Timeouts

Once a team has used all of its available timeouts, it may not call timeout for any reason. If timeout is called, and granted by the official, when none is available, the official assesses a technical foul. In high school, a technical foul awards two free throws and possession of the ball out of bounds on a throw-in to the opposing team. In college basketball, the opposing team receives two free throws, but the ball is put back in play at the spot where the technical foul was called. The NBA uses the same technical foul procedure, except that only one free throw is granted.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:I was more concerned about Trier getting thrown to the ground with no call going after the ball. Also did CU even have possession when the TO was called?

No, Colorado didn't have possession. It was a loose ball that Trier secured, but couldn't hold onto because Xavier Johnson shoved him into the floor. If you want to let Johnson's foul go, you have to call a jump ball. Both Trier and Wright had their hands on the loose ball when Colorado called a timeout, which they didn't have. The officials were all watching just the ball, not the players, and then blew the whistle when they heard a time-out called and assumed Colorado had possession based on that.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
AKA the Larry Scott codicil.

In any event, the refs got it right, assuming CU did have possession.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/14229 ... asketball/" target="_blank

Running Out of Timeouts

Once a team has used all of its available timeouts, it may not call timeout for any reason. If timeout is called, and granted by the official, when none is available, the official assesses a technical foul. In high school, a technical foul awards two free throws and possession of the ball out of bounds on a throw-in to the opposing team. In college basketball, the opposing team receives two free throws, but the ball is put back in play at the spot where the technical foul was called. The NBA uses the same technical foul procedure, except that only one free throw is granted.
I don't know if the NBA rule has changed, but Paul Westphal famously called a time-out his team didn't have so they could inbound the ball at half-court with 2 seconds on the game clock. That was in game 5 of the 1976 finals, when his team was down by 1. After being down 2 after the technical, it enabled his team to get a decent shot and go to overtime.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Didnt like like it on the replay. And there were two or three fouls on that play that did not get called, one being the obvious shove/throw of Trier, which was beyond ridiculous.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Merkin wrote:
Running Out of Timeouts

That's all fine and good, but we only got one FT

1:25 Technical Foul on Colorado. 72 - 85
1:25 Lauri Markkanen made Free Throw. 72 - 86
1:21 Derrick White missed Three Point Jumper. 72 - 86
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We got two shots. Lauri missed the first one.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Chicat wrote:We got two shots. Lauri missed the first one.
I believe you, but the ESPN PBP missed that. And it does document missed FTs.

4:52 Foul on Derrick White. 64 - 75
4:52 Lauri Markkanen missed Free Throw. 64 - 75
4:52 Arizona Deadball Team Rebound. 64 - 75

But if that is an ESPN mistake, it won't be the last they make, and it sure ain't the first
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Chicat wrote:I noticed one you guys missed:

- Once a game spend at least ten minutes reviewing a phantom thrown elbow or erroneous clock malfunction. To pass the time at the monitor, watch a Law & Order re-run. Then issue a ruling that is baffling to both coaches and enrages one to the point he starts removing his clothing.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"....removing his clothing", then Golden-Showers the refs' shoes.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That was the same referee who passed on Balls fourth and decided to ring up PJC. here is hoping he doesn't work our game tonight.

I only remember 1 FT by LM but I was pretty lubed up so who knows if he shot 2 and missed one LOL
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

He shot 2, but PAC12 only showed one
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:He shot 2, but PAC12 only showed one
Understandable. The PAC 12 Network needs to make sure they give Bill Walton's borrowed headscarf-tie enough airtime...
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

It's weird. A similar call in the cal game this year. Didn't understand 1 shot and no ball and tried to look it up but it's been called twice this season in az games