Dusan Ristic - working hard

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bangkok Wildcat

Re: Dusan Ristic - working hard

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Sorry to hear that Dusan.....nothing sucks much more to young men then when you lose your grandparents....lost all 4 of mine while at the U of A. RIP to him.

OAT, wow, Dusan is really coming into his own right now......playing like a major stud! Bear Down Dusan.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Several of those buckets last night were well contested too.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

MVP of the season so far
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote:MVP of the season so far
KON just said best center in the country
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:
Best OFFENSIVE center. I'd say best finisher.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:
Best OFFENSIVE center. I'd say best finisher.
He must have slurred that...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

KO and Bill did have a slurring contest going on.

Ristic missed 8 tonight, not his usual automatic within 3 feet of the basket.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

When he retrieved that pass way over his head and scored, he may have saved the game.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Grinder's Choice. He was working hard in the last few games.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

UAEebs86 wrote:When he retrieved that pass way over his head and scored, he may have saved the game.
Or made up for that back court :lol: I could not think of any explanation for that
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

rgdeuce wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:When he retrieved that pass way over his head and scored, he may have saved the game.
Or made up for that back court :lol: I could not think of any explanation for that
That was Jamelle Horne bad. Good thing the game wasn't that close or he would never hear the end of that one.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Dusan has really been what you want from him after a rough start to the year.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Dusan has really been what you want from him after a rough start to the year.
IMO he's what you want to see in a 4-year player.

He changed up his offensive game, and gave up trying to be a soft, long-range Euro center. He seems to have focussed on finishing at the rim. He gets position down low, posts up, uses good footwork, and finishes with a hook shot or a layup. Rinse and repeat. I think unlike Tark, Karnowski, or other 7-footers who could just bully their way to the hoop, DR has made great strides in making himself available for an entry pass and using his footwork to do damage.

His defense isn't quite as strong as it could be, but he does a decent job getting his hands up and not fouling. I wonder how much more weight he can pack onto his frame, but I think he's probably never going to be the biggest guy on the court.

But all in all, definitely a great player, great guy, and hard worker. That's what you need out of your upperclassmen.

Anyone know what kinda draft stock he has?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

qwertyus wrote:
I base all my draft stock information from Jon Givony and he currently doesn't have him listed in the 2017 mock draft. Obviously we still have a whole half of a season for that to change, but I don't think he's a 1st rounder at the moment. Ayton and him side by side next year would be a beautiful thing.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

qwertyus wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Dusan has really been what you want from him after a rough start to the year.
IMO he's what you want to see in a 4-year player.

He changed up his offensive game, and gave up trying to be a soft, long-range Euro center. He seems to have focussed on finishing at the rim. He gets position down low, posts up, uses good footwork, and finishes with a hook shot or a layup. Rinse and repeat. I think unlike Tark, Karnowski, or other 7-footers who could just bully their way to the hoop, DR has made great strides in making himself available for an entry pass and using his footwork to do damage.

His defense isn't quite as strong as it could be, but he does a decent job getting his hands up and not fouling. I wonder how much more weight he can pack onto his frame, but I think he's probably never going to be the biggest guy on the court.

But all in all, definitely a great player, great guy, and hard worker. That's what you need out of your upperclassmen.

I don't think you want him putting on any more weight. He's not fleet-of-foot now, so any added bulk is just going to make him a step slower.

Speaking of steps, his footwork is on par with a third or fourth year pro. He gives absolutely nothing away with his hips or upper body, and he finishes so well with either hand, so he's always got the advantage of surprise when it comes to which way he's going to attack the rim. Lean one way and he's going to get you by going the other.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

The 2 buckets using his left hand late in the game - the one where he saved the pass from going out of bounds and then finished high off the glass and the other where he totally faked out his defender - were absolutely clutch.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I was watching the wrap us show and both KON and Muelbach both Said he is a sure fire NBA center. Couple that with Don MacLean saying he is the best interior finisher in the country and you get a pretty impressive scouting report on DR.

I had thought he might get a look but that because of his defense he would get exposed and end up in Europe. It would be great to see him in the league.....after another year here :)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:I was watching the wrap us show and both KON and Muelbach both Said he is a sure fire NBA center. Couple that with Don MacLean saying he is the best interior finisher in the country and you get a pretty impressive scouting report on DR.

I had thought he might get a look but that because of his defense he would get exposed and end up in Europe. It would be great to see him in the league.....after another year here :)
Ehh, both KO and MacLean have been very into Dusan for a while, but neither has the best sense of what makes an NBA big guy. I remember MacLean talking about Zeus being a lock to make OKC's roster in the R/B game, which was 2 days before Zeus didn't make their roster.

Don't get me wrong, Dusan has strengths and 7 footers are always in demand. I'd want to see at least one actual draft expert even predict him in the draft before I got too fired up, though.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

For the NBA he needs to get stronger without adding weight. And once there, he'll need to improve his reliability in scoring 10-15 feet out.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I have to reel myself back in with the Dusan to the league stuff sometimes. His footwork and touch are ridiculous and there is much better spacing on an NBA floor. He reminds me of Arvydas Sabonis minus the physicality (and knowing how to use it to his advantage) and the ability to step out and knock them down. The game has changed a ton since Sabonis played. Dusan is a finesse player without speed/quickness. Sabonis was slow as hell (at least toward the tail end of his career) but he was a veteran by then and knew how to use his body and use craftiness and a masterful touch to put the ball in the hoop. Dusan would also be a liability on the defensive end and he is a below average rebounder. I just don't see it. But who knows, maybe some team doesn't mind using their 2nd round pick on him, giving him some time in the D-league or Europe and seeing if it works. He certainly needs to further develop his offensive arsenal - quickening his release and developing an outside shot. Developing something like a sky hook, where you know it's coming but there is nothing you can do about it, would serve him well and he certainly has the touch.
gumby

Post by gumby »

EastCoastCat wrote:The 2 buckets using his left hand late in the game - the one where he saved the pass from going out of bounds and then finished high off the glass and the other where he totally faked out his defender - were absolutely clutch.
Yes. And when it was 69-64, I found myself hoping he'd get the ball. Has serious game.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:I have to reel myself back in with the Dusan to the league stuff sometimes. His footwork and touch are ridiculous and there is much better spacing on an NBA floor. He reminds me of Arvydas Sabonis minus the physicality (and knowing how to use it to his advantage) and the ability to step out and knock them down. The game has changed a ton since Sabonis played. Dusan is a finesse player without speed/quickness. Sabonis was slow as hell (at least toward the tail end of his career) but he was a veteran by then and knew how to use his body and use craftiness and a masterful touch to put the ball in the hoop. Dusan would also be a liability on the defensive end and he is a below average rebounder. I just don't see it. But who knows, maybe some team doesn't mind using their 2nd round pick on him, giving him some time in the D-league or Europe and seeing if it works. He certainly needs to further develop his offensive arsenal - quickening his release and developing an outside shot. Developing something like a sky hook, where you know it's coming but there is nothing you can do about it, would serve him well and he certainly has the touch.
I don't know why Dusan would do the D League. From Europe, so just go back and see how things develop. If he gets good enough to get a legit NBA deal, ok. If he doesn't, just ring up money overseas and closer to home.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

rgdeuce wrote:I have to reel myself back in with the Dusan to the league stuff sometimes. His footwork and touch are ridiculous and there is much better spacing on an NBA floor. He reminds me of Arvydas Sabonis minus the physicality (and knowing how to use it to his advantage) and the ability to step out and knock them down. The game has changed a ton since Sabonis played. Dusan is a finesse player without speed/quickness. Sabonis was slow as hell (at least toward the tail end of his career) but he was a veteran by then and knew how to use his body and use craftiness and a masterful touch to put the ball in the hoop. Dusan would also be a liability on the defensive end and he is a below average rebounder. I just don't see it. But who knows, maybe some team doesn't mind using their 2nd round pick on him, giving him some time in the D-league or Europe and seeing if it works. He certainly needs to further develop his offensive arsenal - quickening his release and developing an outside shot. Developing something like a sky hook, where you know it's coming but there is nothing you can do about it, would serve him well and he certainly has the touch.
This is why Kareem was arguably the greatest player of all time: a 7'2" back-to-the-basket post player with finesse, speed, quickness, incredible strength (this isn't often realized), and a shot that couldn't be defended. You'd think a 7-footer with maybe one or two of those qualities would at least be good for backup minutes in the NBA, but a deficit of something like core strength alone could render Dusan useless at that level.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

What happened to the Deuce last night? Went out early in the first ad never returned. Any word after the game?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

whatisee wrote:What happened to the Deuce last night? Went out early in the first ad never returned. Any word after the game?
Turned an ankle. Miller said he might play Saturday.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

UAEebs86 wrote:
whatisee wrote:What happened to the Deuce last night? Went out early in the first ad never returned. Any word after the game?
Turned an ankle. Miller said he might play Saturday.
Thanks for info! He's been an anchor this year, and i'm glad to hear it wasn't serious
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Miller expecting both Allen and Ristic to play this week

Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Feb 20, 2017 Updated 17 hrs ago

On Ristic, Miller said:

“He had a grade 1 lateral ankle sprain. Everyone who has that injury takes it in differently. That was one of the first times he’s dealt with it so it knocked him back. But now he’s here back in Tucson and able to do the rehab, get a couple of days behind him.

We expect both guys to be able to play on Thursday and in some ways we expect both to be fully functional as well.”

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... a2cef.html" target="_blank
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Nice to see Dusan back tonight 15pts 8reb. We'll need him to show up big tomorrow
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

CU is a good matchup for him. Undersized, and they dont put any kind of pressure/double on him and let him take his time.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

In a lot of ways UCLA is a good matchup for Dusan, except for the part where Arizona needs to grab defensive boards instead of giving the Bruins countless possessions until they score.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I think we are going to see Dusan redeem himself tonight.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I meant when I said we'll need Dusan and Chance both in March, and not just as a platitude. They won't always equally contribute, but having both ready to contribute matters. We aren't so deep that we don't need minutes from both.

Dusan matches ok vs UCLA, but he got worked on the boards last time. He needs to be better. Even this late, there's still time to develop and rise to the occasion, though. Tonight is a good chance for him.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I would like to know what Miller said to him at halftime.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I'm going to be real here. If Miller is stubborn and sticks w Ristic Saturday too long, we will lose a close game. Saint Mary's is going to kill us in the two man game with Landale when Ristic is on the floor. He's going to kill Dusan in the low post and he's going to kill Dusan on the offensive glass. I dont think we have an answer for Landale inside, but i'd rather have have Chance and Lauri get killed inside than have Dusan kill our entire defense with his horrible pick and roll defense and get killed inside. I stopped counting how many teammates he left hanging, how many times he got caught im no man's land, how many times he forced a third defender to completely expose himself covering his ass, and how many times he failed to recover back to his man with even marginal quickness. That is our kryptonite this tournament and everyone in our bracket has that circled, highlighted and starred on their scouting reports right now.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

rgdeuce wrote:I'm going to be real here. If Miller is stubborn and sticks w Ristic Saturday too long, we will lose a close game. Saint Mary's is going to kill us in the two man game with Landale when Ristic is on the floor. He's going to kill Dusan in the low post and he's going to kill Dusan on the offensive glass. I dont think we have an answer for Landale inside, but i'd rather have have Chance and Lauri get killed inside than have Dusan kill our entire defense with his horrible pick and roll defense and get killed inside. I stopped counting how many teammates he left hanging, how many times he got caught im no man's land, how many times he forced a third defender to completely expose himself covering his ass, and how many times he failed to recover back to his man with even marginal quickness. That is our kryptonite this tournament and everyone in our bracket has that circled, highlighted and starred on their scouting reports right now.
About killing Dusan on the offensive glass, looking at the stats, Landale is their main rebounder by far. Other than Pineau, nobody on that team rebounds. Since they play man-to-man, it would be nice to force him to chase Lauri out of the paint.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:I'm going to be real here. If Miller is stubborn and sticks w Ristic Saturday too long, we will lose a close game. Saint Mary's is going to kill us in the two man game with Landale when Ristic is on the floor. He's going to kill Dusan in the low post and he's going to kill Dusan on the offensive glass. I dont think we have an answer for Landale inside, but i'd rather have have Chance and Lauri get killed inside than have Dusan kill our entire defense with his horrible pick and roll defense and get killed inside. I stopped counting how many teammates he left hanging, how many times he got caught im no man's land, how many times he forced a third defender to completely expose himself covering his ass, and how many times he failed to recover back to his man with even marginal quickness. That is our kryptonite this tournament and everyone in our bracket has that circled, highlighted and starred on their scouting reports right now.
We need some Dusan to give depth. He can be fed in the post to make Landale defend. I agree that he needs help on D and that going away from him is important, but we need him playing. Our biggest strength against Landale is that we have 3 guys who can match up with him and make him run and defend. We need all 3 to give us something including Dusan.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Not saying abandon him entirely, but very short leash if hes getting killed on pick and roll and not out there in a close game in crunch time. I agree on making Landale run and defend, but Dusan doesnt move well and he is super finesse, so he's not gonna be the one to get Landale in foul trouble. Rather go small as much as possible and make him chase Lauri all the way out to behind the arc, and then Lauri can use his dribble. Chance will make him work too as he is more active than Dusan and is more of a rim attacker that can draw fouls.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Not saying abandon him entirely, but very short leash if hes getting killed on pick and roll and not out there in a close game in crunch time. I agree on making Landale run and defend, but Dusan doesnt move well and he is super finesse, so he's not gonna be the one to get Landale in foul trouble. Rather go small as much as possible and make him chase Lauri all the way out to behind the arc, and then Lauri can use his dribble. Chance will make him work too as he is more active than Dusan and is more of a rim attacker that can draw fouls.
Using a boxing analogy, I see Lauri as the knockout punch and Dusan and Chance as the body blows we need to soften Landale up. I think Dusan in the post can help us, especially in concert with flipping him onto Lauri on the perimeter too.

We just need to ensure Landale doesn't get a possession to rest. When he's on Dusan, prioritize posting Dusan and forcing Landale to try to deny position. Down the stretch, it needs to be our best lineup.