Re: Who's staying? Who's going?

Post by SCCats »

Main Event wrote:
NICE!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
I've had enough of sources and will wait for Kaleb to say it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I wouldn't believe Givony. I'll regard this as real news when it's openly reported with a source in the program.

EDIT: Didn't realize that Scheer tweated that.
Last edited by Longhorned on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Huge news for our front line. Things we looking a bit thin up there.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote:Huge news for our front line. Things we looking a bit thin up there.
Zeus/Ristic/Anderson/Comanche is solid. If Dusan and Zeus learn to play together, it's better than solid.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yup if Anderson is even 3/4 as good as he was at bc and dusan improves a normal freshman to sophomore amount...that is one of the better front lines in America.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
SCCats wrote:Huge news for our front line. Things we looking a bit thin up there.
Zeus/Ristic/Anderson/Comanche is solid. If Dusan and Zeus learn to play together, it's better than solid.
Totally solid.

Now imagine Ristic/Anderson/Comanche.

Yeah. Totally glad Zeus is back. Get 'em big man!!!
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

and if we get a grad transfer we'll have a veteran front line.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Another "Tucson Skyline".
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

catinfl wrote:and if we get a grad transfer we'll have a veteran front line.
Yeah hopefully we get someone else too. Even with Zeus we still have 1-2 open scholarships.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Another "Tucson Skyline".
Not if we're talking about literally playing together. Neither of those players can guard a 4 and Miller isn't zoning.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I posted in the other thread that the bad guys' site (and other outlets probably based on them) made that proclamation late last night, was cautiously optimistic.

Great news though. Zeus coming back is going to be a big deal, especially early in the season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yup if Anderson is even 3/4 as good as he was at bc and dusan improves a normal freshman to sophomore amount...that is one of the better front lines in America.
It's the polar opposite of the perimeter where we have oodles of talent and no real idea how it will shake out. Up front, if Zeus is back, we have a defined, veteran rotation that can be an anchor for the kids.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If York starts then we might actually have 3 senior starters in tarc, York and Anderson. And then our main 4 man rotation after that would probably be mostly freshmen. But as of now we have 3 seniors, 2 juniors, 2 sophomores and 4 freshmen.

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Yup if Anderson is even 3/4 as good as he was at bc and dusan improves a normal freshman to sophomore amount...that is one of the better front lines in America.
It's the polar opposite of the perimeter where we have oodles of talent and no real idea how it will shake out. Up front, if Zeus is back, we have a defined, veteran rotation that can be an anchor for the kids.
Not quite true about the perimeter IMHO, as York really took the SG position with his NCAA tournament performance overall. Not just the shooting vs. tOSU, but the improved defense on scorers and drivers, which got lost a lot in all the other noise about the Wisky game.

He's going to make another leap this off-season and be that second deadly shooter we need next season to take some pressure off Trier. PJC is going to get more looks from deep as well.

I don't know if we've written off Rabb, but get him and this team has got to be back on at least some preseason favorites lists.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Good decision Zeus! We are looking good for next year now!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Not quite true about the perimeter IMHO, as York really took the SG position with his NCAA tournament performance overall. Not just the shooting vs. tOSU, but the improved defense on scorers and drivers, which got lost a lot in all the other noise about the Wisky game.

He's going to make another leap this off-season and be that second deadly shooter we need next season to take some pressure off Trier. PJC is going to get more looks from deep as well.

I don't know if we've written off Rabb, but get him and this team has got to be back on at least some preseason favorites lists.
I don't think York is a certain starter, and that's not a slam on Gabe. Trier, Smith and Simon are very talented. I would not expect to see fewer than 3 or 4 different starting lineups next year. Zeus and Anderson would be the givens, but the rest is up in the air.

If the impossible happens and SJ returns, well, it gets even crazier then.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I think we will see York starting at PG in a few matchups. PJC is just too short to cover taller PGs, and Simon will be a true freshman and isn't experienced in slow it down half court offenses.

York wasn't awful at PG when TJ was getting a blow, and his passing was much better the second half of the season. Not so many lazy passes.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yeah, I didn't even address the crazy Stanley Johnson rumors, which are all Macbeth-style sound and fury until something originates directly from the lotto pick's mouth--or at least real Twitter account.

Rabb or no Rabb, add SJ to that group and Arizona starts being mentioned as the Kentucky of the West (hyperbole or not).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:I think we will see York starting at PG in a few matchups. PJC is just too short to cover taller PGs, and Simon will be a true freshman and isn't experienced in slow it down half court offenses.

York wasn't awful at PG when TJ was getting a blow, and his passing was much better the second half of the season. Not so many lazy passes.
It's just an unknown. Gabe has experience, but isn't a true PG. PJC is a true PG, but lacks size. Simon has size, but lacks experience. How it plays out...?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

maybe we'll see pitts taking reps at the 1, the same way gabe did this year. assuming he'll be around. it's a way for EP to find some minutes, and didn't he play a little pg in hs? i seem to remember his aau coach saying during his recruitment (fwiw) that pitts could also play the pg and wing positions
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dirtbags wrote:maybe we'll see pitts taking reps at the 1, the same way gabe did this year. assuming he'll be around. it's a way for EP to find some minutes, and didn't he play a little pg in hs? i seem to remember his aau coach saying during his recruitment (fwiw) that pitts could also play the pg and wing positions
Or Kadeem Allen. We have a glut on the wing and all those guys could scratch out extra PT by being a viable option at point guard.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dirtbags wrote:maybe we'll see pitts taking reps at the 1, the same way gabe did this year. assuming he'll be around. it's a way for EP to find some minutes, and didn't he play a little pg in hs? i seem to remember his aau coach saying during his recruitment (fwiw) that pitts could also play the pg and wing positions
Or Kadeem Allen. We have a glut on the wing and all those guys could scratch out extra PT by being a viable option at point guard.
Wing is the one place we don't really have any players

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Justin Simon is 6'5" and has a 6'11.25" wingspan. He won't be DPOY as a true freshman, but he has the length and quickness to cover other wings.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Que?

Smith, York, Pitts, Allen, Simon and Trier don't count? Then, we dream the impossible dream that Stanley doesn't leave...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

York, Pitts, Allen, trier are shooting guards. Simon is a pg. Only Smith is a true wing/sf.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:York, Pitts, Allen, trier are shooting guards. Simon is a pg. Only Smith is a true wing/sf.
Ah, it's a semantic difference. I classify pg/wing/post. Nevertheless, Simon has a wing body, and the smalper guys, we'll run 3 guards most of the time.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It's possible that Simon will be our only transfer. I wouldn't bet actually money on it, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Sucks. But hard to blame him. Best of luck, JS!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:It's possible that Simon will be our only transfer. I wouldn't bet actually money on it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

How about Pitts? I know a lot of guys here are "in the know regarding EP". I'm not, and don't care to be, but just wondering if he has the possibility of coming back.

I imagine PJC is thinking about his future too. No one wants to move further away from coach as your as their career progresses.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What's crazy is that York played more than Simon in their respective freshmen years. So I'm guessing Simon didn't think he'd get the same progression with how much talent will be on the roster.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
Longhorned wrote:It's possible that Simon will be our only transfer. I wouldn't bet actually money on it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

How about Pitts? I know a lot of guys here are "in the know regarding EP". I'm not, and don't care to be, but just wondering if he has the possibility of coming back.

I imagine PJC is thinking about his future too. No one wants to move further away from coach as your as their career progresses.
It isn't clear. Maybe the decision that removed him from the team this year isn't a good sign that his situation will resolve itself in a positive way. In which case, he wouldn't be able to transfer and he'd just be done with college basketball in spite of a year of remaining eligibility.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Longhorned wrote:
Merkin wrote:

It isn't clear. Maybe the decision that removed him from the team this year isn't a good sign that his situation will resolve itself in a positive way. In which case, he wouldn't be able to transfer and he'd just be done with college basketball in spite of a year of remaining eligibility.
i seem to remember CSM saying in one of the weekly pressers something along the lines of, "we agreed that the best course of action is for elliott to step away from the team and finish out his academic career at Arizona", zach peters style, sorta. hope he's doing all right, regardless of his future playing situation.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dirtbags wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Merkin wrote:

i seem to remember CSM saying in one of the weekly pressers something along the lines of, "we agreed that the best course of action is for elliott to step away from the team and finish out his academic career at Arizona", zach peters style, sorta. hope he's doing all right, regardless of his future playing situation.

Good memory DB!

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/e ... 718d6.html" target="_blank

“Yes,” Miller said. “Him and I have had a number of talks over the past couple of weeks, and him and I both felt that it would be in his best interest to focus on the task at hand academically and obviously remain here at the University of Arizona and finish his academic work.”

In order to remain on athletic scholarship though it has to be a medical issue, unless Miller is holding a basketball one for him.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Portsmouth Invitational last week. Gabe York vs Ryan Anderson in Game 1. Anderson's team won by almost 40. Ryan led all scorers with 27/11, Gabe 10/2/2

https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/ ... sults.html" target="_blank

Gabe played again Thursday and had 12/5. Also played Saturday night and had 18/4/4. Wound up shooting 7 for 19 from deep

In the Semi's Friday night, Ryan had 16/10. Finals were Saturday night and he put up 11/15 and took home the Championship trophy. Ryan was named to the All Tournament Team. Led all players in rebs at 12/game and was 3rd in pts at 18/game

Their youtube channel has full game videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTxCLv ... 8Xw/videos" target="_blank

Not sure whats next for either player. No combine news and nothing on Zeus yet either.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Ristic needs to go pro in Europe
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NYCat wrote:Ristic needs to go pro in Europe
and take Trier with him.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Allen graduates.
Lauri 99% goes pro
Trier 85% goes pro
Kobi 50-50...maybe a transfer
Alkins slim chance he declares...doubtful and I hope not.

Comanche needs to overtake Ristic next year in PT. He's a better player by far.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

billk78 wrote:Allen graduates.
Lauri 99% goes pro
Trier 85% goes pro

Kobi is 99% gone, same with Trier.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Merkin wrote:
Lauri 99% goes pro
Trier 85% goes pro

So unfortunately, unless we miraculously find a PG we are going to be worse next year?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

yes

That window opened for one year and closed in the same year
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

billk78 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Lauri 99% goes pro
Trier 85% goes pro

So unfortunately, unless we miraculously find a PG we are going to be worse next year?
No,another banner set of recruits coming in. Just need to find another TJ in the rough.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Trier may be gone, but he killed off a ton of momentum in the three tournament games. Offensively and defensively. Dude only really defends when plays UCLA, but thats probably because of all the scouts in the stands. Im sure theyve all picked up on that

Alkins has to return.
Kobi id put at a 70% chance of not transferring. Kadeem frees up a guard spot and he knows we are going to be thin at the 1 next year.
Lauri 101% gone
Lose Kadeem
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'll help pack triers bags.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

My feelings towards him are much like his plus minus: slightly positive, but only marginally.
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

You guys should settle down on Trier...a lot of the 3 forced misses down the stretch were on Millers ass not being prepared and having a better offense or play calls to get a better shot ( maybe let Lauri touch the damn ball). Trier got us to where we were, up 8 with 3 minutes to go. And was a big part of us winning the pac tourney. The shit offense down the stretch was more on miller than anyone else...but keep looking to the players as the scape goat.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Mostly on Miller, but yes, if this loss was on any single player, it was on Trier--who, frankly, is not all that difficult to defend, especially if he's not hitting his stepback Js.

He was a total ballhog in the final three minutes. He auditioned most of this postseason while showing precious little possession awareness nor understanding of the value of distribution. Let's just conflate those two qualities and label them simply for what they are: lack of leadership skills.

What a waste of great talent.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Nailed it G. Trier is a great player, but a selfish one. And is talent isn't SO great the justify that degree selfishness.

We all point to his 3min strength, but what about his whole first half of shit play and 0/5? For someone who wants to make it in the bigs so bad, certainly he can deal with the criticism. If he ever gets more than cup of coffee, the sandbagging here will be nothing compared to what all players get In the NBA. He'll look at what TJ has to deal with despite being a straight up stud.