Who's staying? Who's going?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PennZona20

Re: Who's staying? Who's going?

Post by PennZona20 »

Yes I YouTubed videos of all of them and have seen the CMU kid plenty and the FGCU kid plenty over the past month, and I'm telling you these kids aren't really an upgrade over a HEALTHY PJC.

AND If u think PJC size makes him a liability on the D end, then wait until u see the CMU kid. Sure he's a little spark plug but I don't think UA is going to need that next year.

I'm just being realistic. I think , outside of Miller witchcraft w Duval, PJC is our best option next year. And I'm not THAT down on PJC next year. I think he can be better than most w a great supporting cast, which we may have.

Mike bibby ain't walking thru that door next year, Jason terry ain't walking thru that door.

I'm supporting a kid who I think was the least of our problems v Xavier. He's going to be a 4 year contributor here and he gets crazy heat on this board. And I truly think he can be "good enough" next year.

I'd be happy to get a grad transfer in here though to at least push him if there's room. Because competition is a good thing.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:Yes I YouTubed videos of all of them and have seen the CMU kid plenty and the FGCU kid plenty over the past month, and I'm telling you these kids aren't really an upgrade over a HEALTHY PJC.

AND If u think PJC size makes him a liability on the D end, then wait until u see the CMU kid. Sure he's a little spark plug but I don't think UA is going to need that next year.

I'm just being realistic. I think , outside of Miller witchcraft w Duval, PJC is our best option next year. And I'm not THAT down on PJC next year. I think he can be better than most w a great supporting cast, which we may have.

Mike bibby ain't walking thru that door next year, Jason terry ain't walking thru that door.

I'm supporting a kid who I think was the least of our problems v Xavier. He's going to be a 4 year contributor here and he gets crazy heat on this board. And I truly think he can be "good enough" next year.

I'd be happy to get a grad transfer in here though to at least push him if there's room. Because competition is a good thing.
So the FGCU kid who had 27 points and 7 dimes against FSU in the tournament isn't better than Parker Jackson-Cartwright? Ok Penn.

No one said any of these guys are Mike Bibby or Jason Terry, so cut it out. It doesn't take being at the level of Bibby or Terry to be better than Parker Jackson freaking Cartwright.

I like Parker as a back up. I don't think he's good enough to be a starter getting 30 minutes a game at the University of Arizona.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Did u watch that fsu game????

Russell westbrook has great statistical games when he's not that good because they run all offense through him.

It took Goodwin 27 shots to get those 27 points. He was something like 2-11 from 3 and took some HORRIBLE SHOTS. He dribbles the ball in place a lot, if u guys don't like Triers hero ball you ain't gonna love this kid. He also had 5 turnovers to those 7 assists. And he got blown by repeatedly in that game. Oh and they lost.

While I don't think PJC could take over an offensive role at FGCU like Goodwin, I think he's better suited for a loaded (hopefully) Arizona team next year. If u find a transfer like TJ , nevermind the leadership intangibles, just a pass first , defensive -minded pg who's skills translate to a power 5 conference. I'm interested.

Like I said maybe to the Murray st kid. And I'd take any of them if for no other reason to push Parker.
prh

Post by prh »

Hey guys, I love this discussion about point guards, but could we do it in the thread next door that is about point guards? I just want to come here for my Zo/Lauri news :)
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Well choo and 97 cats are the guys more in the know than me when it comes to that.

By all accounts Trier will be back, simmons is gone, alkins likely back and Lauri probably gone.

I feel Lauri is coming back because I like setting myself up for disappointment. Mainly because I'm used to it being a Cats fan in March thinking this is the year we finally make it back to Final 4.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PennZona20 wrote: By all accounts Trier will be back
Just curious, whose accounts? I don't read every post, so missed it.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Insiders???? Lol.

Just the rumors around him.

I think he realizes w a full year and weaker class next year, he had a much better chance at a first round grade and guaranteed contract, which is his ultimate goal.

I just hope he realizes that auditioning for scouts is not the best way to improve his draft stock. If Lauri comes back he's literally going to be the 3rd best player on the team next year.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
PennZona20 wrote: By all accounts Trier will be back
Just curious, whose accounts? I don't read every post, so missed it.
Get premium! :D
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:If Lauri comes back he's literally going to be the 3rd best player on the team next year.
I don't want to make it look like I'm picking on you because of our grad transfer PG conversation, but I just saw this and can only say come on man.... :lol:
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:If Lauri comes back he's literally going to be the 3rd best player on the team next year.
I don't want to make it look like I'm picking on you because of our grad transfer PG conversation, but I just saw this and can only say come on man.... :lol:
Seriously... If Lauri stays he might be the best player in the entire country next year
az91

Post by az91 »

I would be pleasantly surprised if Lauri, Zo, or Kobi are back next year, though it is interesting to hear so much speculation about Zo possibly coming back. As for Kobi, I cannot see him making any kind of impact on the pros anytime soon. On the other hand, would he really want to sit around for a year as a transfer? I guess it is welcome D-League or overseas.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Wasn't he saying Zo would be the third best player on the team?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

legallykenny wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Is that what he was trying to say? If so then my bad Penn, I read you wrong brother.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

I think you misread my quote. If Lauri stays ALONZO will be the 3rd best player on the team next year. Certainly not Lauri.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Is that what he was trying to say? If so then my bad Penn, I read you wrong brother.
Yeah Zo not Lauri. I may be upset because of the loss but I haven't lost my mind lol.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

:D
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

If so instant leader. Give him floor general status and watch out.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Looking like Trier/Alkins are def coming back.

Bring in Ayton and we will be good again next year.

Miller has got to do whatever he can to get Duval.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PennZona20 wrote:
Miller has got to anything he can to get Duval.
Anything?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Is Tyler Dorsey returning?

Oh wait I'm in the alternate reality where Arizona didn't blow him off for a bad trade. My mistake guys.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Longhorned wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:
Miller has got to anything he can to get Duval.
Anything?

Outside of blue chips stuff yeah.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Is Tyler Dorsey returning?

Oh wait I'm in the alternate reality where Arizona didn't blow him off for a bad trade. My mistake guys.

Players play, they shouldn't dictate who u recruit.

Everyone who's pissed at parkers camp for dissuading Thorton jr recruitment should be even more pissed at the Simon camp, and to a lesser extent the smith camp and Trier camp for encouraging Miller to run off Dorsey.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Can we start playing around with the idea that zo, Rawle and Lauri come back???
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

No kidding. I'll take "team cancer" or whatever he was called for Mr march. He is automatic.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PennZona20 wrote:

Everyone who's pissed at parkers camp for dissuading Thorton jr recruitment should be even more pissed at the Simon camp, and to a lesser extent the smith camp and Trier camp for encouraging Miller to run off Dorsey.
Hopefully this is lessoned learned for Miller.

For being so nonsense, he sure let some 18yos and primadonna parents run the recruit show that cycle.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PennZona20 wrote:

I hope you are not part of the "Miller is no Lute" camp.

Back then, current players could veto a recruit... which I think was a very insightful and progressive policy.

I can respect those who disagree, but not those who are inconsistent in their application of that viewpoint.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I was not aware of that policy, interesting...
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yep. IIRC that's how Rolf Jacobs and Bruce Wheatley got kicked off the team in '85.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

catgrad97 wrote:Yep. IIRC that's how Rolf Jacobs and Bruce Wheatley got kicked off the team in '85.
I know Jacobs was kicked off the team for an incident with Craig McMillan but I just thought Wheatley and Eric Cooper transferred for more playing time.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Irish27 wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Yep. IIRC that's how Rolf Jacobs and Bruce Wheatley got kicked off the team in '85.
I know Jacobs was kicked off the team for an incident with Craig McMillan but I just thought Wheatley and Eric Cooper transferred for more playing time.
Yep. The policy referred to was on incoming recruits, not players already here.
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PennZona20 wrote:

Not sure if you're aware, but Dorsey's commitment came completely out of the blue for the coaching staff and their plan for that year did not include him. Not sure how you can run off someone who was never a part of the team or the plan in the first place...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

....nm.....
Last edited by Merkin on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Already posted above Merk
-JB
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:

Not sure if you're aware, but Dorsey's commitment came completely out of the blue for the coaching staff and their plan for that year did not include him. Not sure how you can run off someone who was never a part of the team or the plan in the first place...
Fwiw when that did occur Arizona hadn't made a decision one way or the other on what to do with Dorsey. They were unsure whether to keep recruiting him or not. The final decision wasn't made until months after his random commitment, when a priority on Justin Simon and Ray Smith were made and the relationship with Trier blossomed. Of course Dorsey committing publicly the way he did before running it by the coaching staff certainly didn't sit well with Miller and probably had a lot to do with how he viewed the kid from that point forward.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PennZona20 wrote:

This didnt work out for us, but you cant blame the kids or their families. Miller is asking them to come play for him at the end of the day. If you were offered two jobs, 110k to work for company A, but they offered an old coworker who you couldnt stand and the job requires you to be partners, and 105k to work for company B, everything else besides pay and jackass coworker being equal, which would u take? Would you be out of line To tell company A: "a really appreciate the offer and would love to work for you, but I have comcerns about working with _____." I have another offer from company B..
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

Just checked Draft Express. How is Simmons a projected 2017 pick and Trier is not? Is it just the Simmons is a year younger?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Chicat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:

They accepted his commitment didn't they???

Ayton wasn't part of the plan until he was either.

All Miller had to do was tell Ray, Zo, and Justin Simon that Dorsey will adapt to the team concept or he will find himself on the bench and eventually transfer.

If those kids would have trusted Miller they still would have came. And if they didn't, how bought in were they to Miller and Arizona anyway??
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona Wildcats basketball team could look vastly different next year

By Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Mar 26, 2017 Updated 6 hrs ago

1. Who’s leaving early?

While UA will lose only one senior, Kadeem Allen, the Wildcats are expected to lose at least two players to professional basketball this spring — likely Lauri Markkanen and Kobi Simmons, while Allonzo Trier and Rawle Alkins appear to be considering it.

Markkanen may have arrived at UA with a plan of staying for two years, but his status as a near-certain Top 10 pick means he has strong incentive to leave. Players taken in the Top 10 are guaranteed at least $4.5 million (plus endorsement deals) over two years under the NBA’s rookie salary scale, and a player in that category who gets hurt or fails to improve when returning to school may never see that kind of money again.

Simmons is a curious case because his playing time and production dropped off rapidly in the last month of the season, and Draft Express noted “he’s looked highly dejected and clearly not on the same page with the coaching staff.” But his size, athleticism and shooting ability still make him an intriguing prospect for an NBA team willing to stash him in the D-League and see what happens.

“NBA scouts like Simmons’ talent level but have major concerns about his intangibles, especially considering how much development he still needs in terms of his skill-level and basketball IQ,” Draft Express president Jonathan Givony wrote last week. “He’s likely to declare for the draft, and will benefit from the advent of the two-way contract (between NBA and D-League), which will allow him to make some decent money while the team that picks him evaluates if he can get his act together in the D-League.”

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 90fcc.html" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I never noticed Simmons looking "highly dejected"
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

In re UofA wrote:Just checked Draft Express. How is Simmons a projected 2017 pick and Trier is not? Is it just the Simmons is a year younger?
DX's projections aren't just player ranks, they include what year a player is likely to leave. I'd expect they agree with the conventional wisdom that Kobi is gone and are projecting Zo to stay.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Trier is now on the 2018 DX list. He was on 2017 for most the season, but slowly dropped down the rankings.

PICK: 36 in 2018 Mock Draft - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/All ... ier-70279/" target="_blank ©DraftExpress
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Merkin wrote:I never noticed Simmons looking "highly dejected"
I also never heard of Lauri's plan of staying two years when he first arrived here. He's has always been known as a one-and-done until recently, when it was noted that there was a possibility he could stay another year.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Nothing really new, but the LM 2 year plan is mentioned.

That photo reminds me of some iconic religious imagery, but can't put a finger on it. Thought it was La Pieta, but perhaps not.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

In re UofA wrote:Just checked Draft Express. How is Simmons a projected 2017 pick and Trier is not? Is it just the Simmons is a year younger?
Jon Givony knows Kobi Simmons is leaving and Allonzo Trier is likely staying, that's why.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merk, maybe you're thinking of Bernini's Santa Teresa in Ecstasy:

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote:I never noticed Simmons looking "highly dejected"
I saw that quite a bit.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I always saw Kyryl as a male version of the Venus de Milo. Is that mean?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Am I the only one who really doesn't care who is staying and who is going?

Much like my shift away from caring about recruiting (until they set foot on campus as actual students) I've shifted away from caring much about who stays or goes until next year is here and we've got whoever we've got.

I just find the season to be much more enjoyable when I don't spend the offseason obsessing over things I've zero control over.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »