When do we start recruiting actual Point Guards?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PennZona20

Re: When do we start recruiting actual Point Guards?

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:The guys u mentioned choo aren't very good. And they are chuckers. Think mark Lyons w less size.

PJC was hurt or sick every year and contributed to his inconsistency. Xavier just beat us w a much worse pg than PJC.

Obviously I'd rather have Duval, but no other option is better than a healthy and focused senior pg. PJC isn't going to "carry" us to a final 4 but if we have a starting lineup around him w two lotto bigs and savage life and Trier next to him, be the ur ass we can get there.

We aren't getting mike bibby next year. There's no transfer savior. It's Duval or PJC. Those are the options. And Duval is a long shot.
They all play for mid-majors, they all have to shoot that much to keep their teams afloat. Their amount of shots would obviously lessen at Arizona. I'm more concerned with shooting percentages, FT percentages, and assist to turnover ratios. Every single one of those guys are better than PJC, not to mention are bigger. I'm not looking for a transfer savior, I'm looking for a transfer placeholder who is more capable than what we already got.
I don't think any of those guys are more capable than PJC.

It's easier to shoot more efficiently v Akron than it is v Oregon.
Tell me how it's easier to shoot 3's and FTs more efficiently vs Akron than Oregon? Also did you have a problem with TJ based on the sorry level of competition he played against day in and day out? If not then I don't get your beef here. I agree the Murray State kid is the best of that lot and he's who I have my finger on if he decides to transfer.

Well fts no. But 3s are easier to make when u have an undersized slower guard chasing u down, than Dillon Brooks guarding you or the swatter boy closing out on u. Besides I don't think parkers 3 % or ft% are the issues here.

And no, anyone who saw TJ dominate us as soph knew he could play. I don't see any TJ in any of those kids, maybe the Murray kid. Maybe I'm wrong and hopefully I am, but even still ....... do we even know if any of these kids want to transfer, much less to Arizona. It seems the chances of catching lightning in a bottle like TJ, w a kid who's already graduated and doesn't have to sit out , are pretty slim.

I know Miller will try his best, but I also think Miller has more faith in PJC than most here. He is the one always praising him and said Parker "emerged" as the clear starting pg before the injuries this year.

Will be interesting to see how the roster shakes out.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

legallykenny wrote:
NYCat wrote:PJC has gotten injured or sick every year he's been at Arizona. And thus missing significant time.

I completely expect the same in his senior year
He had what should have been a breakaway layup get blocked by a guy who didn't even have to jump. He doesn't have the physicality to play at this level -- which is probably why he's always sick or hurt as well. He should have been recruited over two years ago.
lol we didn't go after Thornton Jr because PJCs camp would be pissed.

Thornton was meh at Duke, so might've​ been or not been the answer, but PJC wouldn't be the point and Kadeem wouldn't have to be either.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

NYCat wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
NYCat wrote:PJC has gotten injured or sick every year he's been at Arizona. And thus missing significant time.

I completely expect the same in his senior year
He had what should have been a breakaway layup get blocked by a guy who didn't even have to jump. He doesn't have the physicality to play at this level -- which is probably why he's always sick or hurt as well. He should have been recruited over two years ago.
lol we didn't go after Thornton Jr because PJCs camp would be pissed.
That was clearly a mistake, and I feel it's why there's undeserved resentment towards him on this board.

I'm also not sure if Thornton was a bit overrated. We shall see starting next year, and even if he is, he's likely still better than Parker. One thing is for sure he never should have let K talk him into reclassifying. Usually that's reserved for the monsters like KAT , etc.

I know we'd all be happier w a soph Thornton and senior PJC next year at pg.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:The guys u mentioned choo aren't very good. And they are chuckers. Think mark Lyons w less size.

PJC was hurt or sick every year and contributed to his inconsistency. Xavier just beat us w a much worse pg than PJC.

Obviously I'd rather have Duval, but no other option is better than a healthy and focused senior pg. PJC isn't going to "carry" us to a final 4 but if we have a starting lineup around him w two lotto bigs and savage life and Trier next to him, be the ur ass we can get there.

We aren't getting mike bibby next year. There's no transfer savior. It's Duval or PJC. Those are the options. And Duval is a long shot.
They all play for mid-majors, they all have to shoot that much to keep their teams afloat. Their amount of shots would obviously lessen at Arizona. I'm more concerned with shooting percentages, FT percentages, and assist to turnover ratios. Every single one of those guys are better than PJC, not to mention are bigger. I'm not looking for a transfer savior, I'm looking for a transfer placeholder who is more capable than what we already got.

It's easier to shoot more efficiently v Akron than it is v Oregon.
Tell me how it's easier to shoot 3's and FTs more efficiently vs Akron than Oregon? Also did you have a problem with TJ based on the sorry level of competition he played against day in and day out? If not then I don't get your beef here. I agree the Murray State kid is the best of that lot and he's who I have my finger on if he decides to transfer.

Well fts no. But 3s are easier to make when u have an undersized slower guard chasing u down, than Dillon Brooks guarding you or the swatter boy closing out on u. Besides I don't think parkers 3 % or ft% are the issues here.

And no, anyone who saw TJ dominate us as soph knew he could play. I don't see any TJ in any of those kids, maybe the Murray kid. Maybe I'm wrong and hopefully I am, but even still ....... do we even know if any of these kids want to transfer, much less to Arizona. It seems the chances of catching lightning in a bottle like TJ, w a kid who's already graduated and doesn't have to sit out , are pretty slim.

I know Miller will try his best, but I also think Miller has more faith in PJC than most here. He is the one always praising him and said Parker "emerged" as the clear starting pg before the injuries this year.

Will be interesting to see how the roster shakes out.
If Dillon Brooks or any 3/4 man is defending our point guard then we have bigger issues than point guard.

We agree that there's way more issues at stake here than Parker's 3% and FT%, which is why I can't wrap my head around your steadfastness at sticking with him to guide a possible FF roster than a guy who is likely physically more capable. Kadeem Allen for as great as he was at certain things was not a great point guard, yet he started over PJC at the position for the vast majority of the season. You can't sit there with a straight face and tell me guys who put up those kinds of numbers at mid majors or not wouldn't be better than Parker you just can't.

I also never take Miller's public words at face value. He says things to pump up his guys all the time. Hell he said Mark Tollefson could be a Rondae level defender once. He is an expert at coach speak. What he truly feels about Parker is a mystery to you and I and to act differently is to be naive.

We don't need lightning in a bottle at the PG position a la T.J. McConnell, we just need better than Parker Jackson-Cartwright. I don't see the disconnect on that point brother. That's all I'm arguing and that's all you should want.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

We aren't getting mike bibby next year. There's no transfer savior. It's Duval or PJC. Those are the options. And Duval is a long shot.[/quote]

They all play for mid-majors, they all have to shoot that much to keep their teams afloat. Their amount of shots would obviously lessen at Arizona. I'm more concerned with shooting percentages, FT percentages, and assist to turnover ratios. Every single one of those guys are better than PJC, not to mention are bigger. I'm not looking for a transfer savior, I'm looking for a transfer placeholder who is more capable than what we already got.[/quote]

It's easier to shoot more efficiently v Akron than it is v Oregon.[/quote]

Tell me how it's easier to shoot 3's and FTs more efficiently vs Akron than Oregon? Also did you have a problem with TJ based on the sorry level of competition he played against day in and day out? If not then I don't get your beef here. I agree the Murray State kid is the best of that lot and he's who I have my finger on if he decides to transfer.[/quote]

Will be interesting to see how the roster shakes out.[/quote]

If Dillon Brooks or any 3/4 man is defending our point guard then we have bigger issues than point guard.

We agree that there's way more issues at stake here than Parker's 3% and FT%, which is why I can't wrap my head around your steadfastness at sticking with him to guide a possible FF roster than a guy who is likely physically more capable. Kadeem Allen for as great as he was at certain things was not a great point guard, yet he started over PJC at the position for the vast majority of the season. You can't sit there with a straight face and tell me guys who put up those kinds of numbers at mid majors or not wouldn't be better than Parker you just can't.

I also never take Miller's public words at face value. He says things to pump up his guys all the time. Hell he said Mark Tollefson could be a Rondae level defender once. He is an expert at coach speak. What he truly feels about Parker is a mystery to you and I and to act differently is to be naive.

We don't need lightning in a bottle at the PG position a la T.J. McConnell, we just need better than Parker Jackson-Cartwright. I don't see the disconnect on that point brother. That's all I'm arguing and that's all you should want.[/quote]

I've stated I would gladly take a transfer, to at the very least, push Parker and may the best pg for our team get the most minutes.

Well let's back up, what I want is Duval. I just hear we are a distant 3rd by all accounts.

So if we can't get him, I'm just being realistic. I don't think we can get lucky enough to find a TJ-lite kid who's an upgrade over Parker via the grad transfer route. I'd take any grad transfer at pg tho assuming we don't get duval and let the chips fall where they may after battling it out.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

whatisee wrote:We've had a total of one during Miller's reign. What's the problem Sean?
I think you should go blow Rich Rod and his 1 winning conference record in 5 tries... 19-29 conference record... and bottom 1/3 of the conference recruiting classes every year (with weakness at EVERY position).

I could post Miller's totals if you'd like... but I'd hate to interrupt the circle jerk that you, cordera, and machina are having right now celebrating our S16 loss.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

let's see what Miller offense offers to the elite pg:

#300 in tempo
avg 5 fast brk pts/gm
little creative license, if at all
disjointed/random lineups that vary wildly over the course of the game ensuring no player gets in any rhythm whatsoever
get yanked if you're not a Gary Payton level defender (like Kobi did)

what's not to love?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Cartwright wouldn't get a single minute at Xavier, not one

he gets 27+ for AZ in the Sweet 16

FML
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

97cats wrote:Cartwright wouldn't get a single minute at Xavier, not one

FML
And Miller and Arizona beat Xavier 8 out of 10 times so your point?

Sorry 30-4 isn't good enough for you
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

FML
Head out to the garage & spark up, Chief.

You need a one on one with Miller to highlight all his recruiting mistakes, PJC, York, etc. The vitriol you have for those 2 is... unhealthy.

Make sure to applaud him for the Mayes & Turner recruitments, though - it will soften the blow.

Yeah I am being a dick to the most valuable member of the forum (and I do mean that sincerely).... but it was clear where you stood about 632 posts ago.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Mayes and Turner we major fails, Lyons and Jones too to a certain extent.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

PHXCATS wrote:
And Miller and Arizona beat Xavier 8 out of 10 times so your point?

Sorry 30-4 isn't good enough for you
I keep ignoring you cause you're missing the point completely and are being really dense.

No, 30-4 is not fucking good enough for me anymore in the 7th god damn year when the most important player/position doesn't match the surrounding parts.

I said all year that Arizona would be standard issue Sean Miller good again and to some, like you, even excellent but that the PG/lead guard position could potentially rear its ugly head again in March and limit the advancement of this team when leadership, organization, toughness, and a fucking mans size nutsak is required to advance.

well guess what, it fucking happened again.

so go be happy and thrilled all you want with your 30 wins against a largely awful non-conf schedule and weak PAC 12 of which there were only three teams that were worth a hill of beans but I'm not anymore.

Arizona had limits from the first practice cause it had no commander. No leader. No general. No one player that held anybody accountable.

same damn results.

That's nobody's fault but Miller's. So while your fine with sharing conf titles and beating Cal State Northridge, I'm still fucking pissed that the best draw in Arizona Basketball history , that included a chance to play the Final Foir essentially at home, was entrusted to a JUCO transfer two guard and a weak, small, leaderless, below average wimp of a player who pouts more than he makes FG's.

so go give everyone a fucking trophy and participation ribbon but stop telling me what fucking should be good enough thru my lens.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Talking about York, I'm still exasperated by his starting role in year 3, and worse yet, his "carry the team on my back and who is this Trier upstart?" role in year 4. Makes me more than a little hesitant about the Barcello recruitment. I just don't trust that kind of thing right now.

It's fine if any of you defend Miller's use of PJC and York, and the Barcello recruitment. But keep it consistent and start brushing your teeth with a drinking straw, polish your car with a lamp, and mow your lawn with an empty cereal box.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:Talking about York, I'm still exasperated by his starting role in year 3, and worse yet, his "carry the team on my back and who is this Trier upstart?" role in year 4. Makes me more than a little hesitant about the Barcello recruitment. I just don't trust that kind of thing right now.

It's fine if any of you defend Miller's use of PJC and York, and the Barcello recruitment. But keep it consistent and start brushing your teeth with a drinking straw, polish your car with a lamp, and mow your lawn with an empty cereal box.
I get where you're going with this with Barcello due to the ball dominance he's displayed his HS career, but he's a totally different personality with a totally different circle than York. I wouldn't be concerned.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Talking about York, I'm still exasperated by his starting role in year 3, and worse yet, his "carry the team on my back and who is this Trier upstart?" role in year 4. Makes me more than a little hesitant about the Barcello recruitment. I just don't trust that kind of thing right now.

I get where you're going with this with Barcello due to the ball dominance he's displayed his HS career, but he's a totally different personality with a totally different circle than York. I wouldn't be concerned.
Glad to hear. Like I said, it's about trust, and therefore the past, and less about Barcello.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So may be it was missed when I posted earlier, but what actually happened with the Compton magic and can that relationship be repaired?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Do we (fans) want it repaired? I would think we would right?
az91

Post by az91 »

FML
Well, I hate to have to tell you this, but you will have to deal with him for another year. Maybe you need to take a year off until he is gone?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:So may be it was missed when I posted earlier, but what actually happened with the Compton magic and can that relationship be repaired?
Adidas.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So because the coaches signed with Addidas, they'll only push their kids to addidias schools?

Way to look out for your kids.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:So because the coaches signed with Addidas, they'll only push their kids to addidias schools?

Will be interesting to see what happens now that UCLA is UnderArmour. David Grace is the Compton Magic queen though, so I imagine that relationship will still keep guys flowing to UCLA. ASU will likely get quite a few guys though for obvious reasons.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... don-alkins" target="_blank
He’s a natural born leader. Everyone I’ve talked to has said it and that’s exactly what Miller is looking for in his future point guard.

"He recruited me to be his point guard for future and to be the leader of the team," Barcello said. "He’s expecting me to come in from day one and take that role. I need to do what I need to do this year to prepare for that when I get there."

Now, over two years after being offered by the state’s premier program and countless hours of communication between them, how would Barcello define his relationship with Arizona’s head coach?

"Miller and I have a really close relationship, so I know that with him saying that he wants me in that [point guard] role, it means a lot. It’s a lot that you need to work on to be in that role. But it’s an honor. Just knowing that being in that position…[you need to] have a close relationship with Coach Miller because being the point guard on the floor means that you’re leading the team and you’re the overall floor general and it’s an extension of him on the floor. So you need a close relationship with him and that’s what we’ve been talking about and recruiting me for."

Sure seems like Miller signed for his 3pt shooting and to play the point.

Barcello might be a great college player in 3-4 years -thars a big IF- it'll take time if he does, but I hope Miller doesn't shy from recruiting other PGs like he did with the PJC/Thornton situation.

As of right now I don't feel great that he's going to be the PG on the team after PJC mercifully graduates.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:So because the coaches signed with Addidas, they'll only push their kids to addidias schools?

Will be interesting to see what happens now that UCLA is UnderArmour. David Grace is the Compton Magic queen though, so I imagine that relationship will still keep guys flowing to UCLA. ASU will likely get quite a few guys though for obvious reasons.
Very interesting. Thanks choo.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... don-alkins" target="_blank
He’s a natural born leader. Everyone I’ve talked to has said it and that’s exactly what Miller is looking for in his future point guard.

"He recruited me to be his point guard for future and to be the leader of the team," Barcello said. "He’s expecting me to come in from day one and take that role. I need to do what I need to do this year to prepare for that when I get there."

Now, over two years after being offered by the state’s premier program and countless hours of communication between them, how would Barcello define his relationship with Arizona’s head coach?

"Miller and I have a really close relationship, so I know that with him saying that he wants me in that [point guard] role, it means a lot. It’s a lot that you need to work on to be in that role. But it’s an honor. Just knowing that being in that position…[you need to] have a close relationship with Coach Miller because being the point guard on the floor means that you’re leading the team and you’re the overall floor general and it’s an extension of him on the floor. So you need a close relationship with him and that’s what we’ve been talking about and recruiting me for."

Sure seems like Miller signed for his 3pt shooting and to play the point.

Barcello might be a great college player in 3-4 years -thars a big IF- it'll take time if he does, but I hope Miller doesn't shy from recruiting other PGs like he did with the PJC/Thornton situation.

As of right now I don't feel great that he's going to be the PG on the team after PJC mercifully graduates.
Looking forward to another player that fans can complain about for the next few years.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Barcello was sold on being a combo guard at Arizona. He's not going to demand to be the starting PG or anything unless he's the obvious choice. He doesn't have youtube hype men around him telling him he's a NBA player and should be Option 1 through 12 like past Arizona guards have.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Who who's the point guard? Miller can't keep relying on transfers and JUCOs to bail him out.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Better pull something out of a hat quickly.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Who who's the point guard? Miller can't keep relying on transfers and JUCOs to bail him out.
It's either PJC, a grad transfer or Duval. Last one is a long shot. First one, well, we've seen 3 seasons, and I don't really disagree if you aren't sold. PJC isn't changing though. His upside/downside is what it is.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Is Barcello comparable to Orgon's Benson his freshman year? Or perhaps Pritchard? I don't follow recruiting closely enough to evaluate players. In my observation, zPJC is best as a back up because he can provide a change of pace. I still think we could use some better rim protection. For an elite team, our shot blocking was disappointing this year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:Is Barcello comparable to Orgon's Benson his freshman year? Or perhaps Pritchard? I don't follow recruiting closely enough to evaluate players. In my observation, zPJC is best as a back up because he can provide a change of pace. I still think we could use some better rim protection. For an elite team, our shot blocking was disappointing this year.
My take on Barcello: has never been a true PG before. I would not expect he will be ready as a freshman. If he got spot minutes (a la Pinder) as a frosh, then solid backup minutes as a soph followed by...? as an upperclassman, I would see that as most likely.

He's a good shooter, but not much else leaps out at me. He's not an elite athlete, so his ability to develop is big. I don't think he solves anything next year, and if we expect that from him, we do him a disservice.

Basically Jordin Mayes who we hope develops better.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:Who who's the point guard? Miller can't keep relying on transfers and JUCOs to bail him out.
It's either PJC, a grad transfer or Duval. Last one is a long shot. First one, well, we've seen 3 seasons, and I don't really disagree if you aren't sold. PJC isn't changing though. His upside/downside is what it is.
AZ is going to be potentially loaded next year, particularly if Alkins and Trier return, in addition to adding a top 5 class; why wouldn't a guy like Duval want to be the starting pg on a potential national championship team?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

midnightx wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
AZ is going to be potentially loaded next year, particularly if Alkins and Trier return, in addition to adding a top 5 class; why wouldn't a guy like Duval want to be the starting pg on a potential national championship team?
Because Duke.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

midnightx wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
As a point guard, you cant get much better than being handed the keys to Kevin Garnett Jr (Ayton), Alkins, and Trier (among others). Lauri is a long shot IMO, but that could possibly be another weapon at your disposal. I cant think of many teams who have had four weapons as good as that for a point guard to play with. Guessing Duke is still at the top of his list, but Frank Jackson is coming back. One of them is going to have to play off the ball, and Jackson is a guy who will be gearing to be one of the top PG picks in the 2018 draft so who knows how that would go. That's a pretty easy sell for a guy who is already one of the best salesmen in the country, and who doesn't have to compete with the best on this one, Calipari. I mean, it's wide open for dude, you have to really blow it to not beat out PJC and get your 30 minutes a night with Kobi Simmons and Kadeem Allen gone.

I remember before Josh Jackson signed with Kansas how I was saying that Arizona was the perfect fit for him and I felt that Arizona without Jackson would have a better team than Kansas without Jackson. I feel that way about us and Duke for 17-18 and I think that is an easier sell than the former. Imagine us with Jackson this year, and in no way shape or form do we under-perform Kansas in both the regular season and tournament.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

midnightx wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
We're competing only with other potential NC teams. I love what we could do with him, but he will only be picking among the elites.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Plus, elite point guard recruits pass up championship opportunities for other considerations. Beyond Fulz at Washington, even Ball at UCLA fits that observation.

What Arizona needs is a D1-level starting point guard, not necessarily an elite one.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:Plus, elite point guard recruits pass up championship opportunities for other considerations. Beyond Fulz at Washington, even Ball at UCLA fits that observation.

What Arizona needs is a D1-level starting point guard, not necessarily an elite one.
Bingo.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Where is Duvall from? Maybe Miller can be a witch hear if she can roll some tape about what he did with TJ. Maybe Duvall wants to add some defense to his arsenal.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Where is Duvall from? Maybe Miller can be a witch hear if she can roll some tape about what he did with TJ. Maybe Duvall wants to add some defense to his arsenal.
Played at IMG in Florida this year. I think API in Texas last year. No real ties here.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Where is Duvall from? Maybe Miller can be a witch hear if she can roll some tape about what he did with TJ. Maybe Duvall wants to add some defense to his arsenal.
Played at IMG in Florida this year. I think API in Texas last year. No real ties here.
He's from Delaware. Book Richardson is our main connection here and why we're strongly in this race.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I like that book is on him. Give rawle a shot at him was well if he's coming back.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

247 says 6%, so Trump chances...

http://247sports.com/Player/Trevon-Duval-36812" target="_blank
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Is Grayson Allen coming back next year? Kinda crowded in Duke's backcourt.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Nate silver should find another line of work.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Do we need an elite PG?

PG and their Composite rankings for past Natty Champs and what class year. (Along with their 2 guard)

2016: Villanova // Jalen Brunson Fr 5★(#22) -- Arcidiacono Sr 4★ (#57)
2015: Duke // Tyus Jones Fr 5★ (#7) -- Q. Cook Sr 4★ (#33)
2014: UConn // Shabazz Napier Sr 4★ (#74) -- Boatwright Jr 4★ (#55)
2013: Louisville // Peyton Siva 4★ Sr (#32) -- Russ Smith Jr 3★ (#300)
2012: Kentucky // Marquis Teague Fr 5★ (#7) -- Doron Lamb So. 4★ (#23)
2011: UConn // Kemba Walker 5★ Jr (#12) -- Jeremy Lamb Fr 4★ (#85)
2010: Duke // Jon Scheyer Sr 4★ (#40) -- Nolan Smith Jr 5★ (#21)
2009: North Carolina // Ty Lawson Jr 5★ (#7) -- Wayne Ellington Jr 5★ (#9
2008: Kansas // Mario Chalmers Jr 5★ (#13) -- Brandon Rush Jr 4★ (#85)

Mostly what you can learn from the past is: not going to win with JUCO, transfers or grad transfers. If you're going to win with a top elite freshman, better have an upperclassmen next to him. Not many true PGs, they're extinct like a true C of past. Top talent who stays for a couple years in college wins. Cream rises to the top. UConn 2014 is an outlier for almost all metrics for national champions.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

CalStateTempe wrote:Nate silver should find another line of work.
He sure is a persistent little bugger
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I mean st Mary's had a 54%chance of winning our game!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Do we need an elite PG?

PG and their Composite rankings for past Natty Champs and what class year. (Along with their 2 guard)

2016: Villanova // Jalen Brunson Fr 5★(#22) -- Arcidiacono Sr 4★ (#57)
2015: Duke // Tyus Jones Fr 5★ (#7) -- Q. Cook Sr 4★ (#33)
2014: UConn // Shabazz Napier Sr 4★ (#74) -- Boatwright Jr 4★ (#55)
2013: Louisville // Peyton Siva 4★ Sr (#32) -- Russ Smith Jr 3★ (#300)
2012: Kentucky // Marquis Teague Fr 5★ (#7) -- Doron Lamb So. 4★ (#23)
2011: UConn // Kemba Walker 5★ Jr (#12) -- Jeremy Lamb Fr 4★ (#85)
2010: Duke // Jon Scheyer Sr 4★ (#40) -- Nolan Smith Jr 5★ (#21)
2009: North Carolina // Ty Lawson Jr 5★ (#7) -- Wayne Ellington Jr 5★ (#9
2008: Kansas // Mario Chalmers Jr 5★ (#13) -- Brandon Rush Jr 4★ (#85)

Mostly what you can learn from the past is: not going to win with JUCO, transfers or grad transfers. If you're going to win with a top elite freshman, better have an upperclassmen next to him. Not many true PGs, they're extinct like a true C of past. Top talent who stays for a couple years in college wins. Cream rises to the top. UConn 2014 is an outlier for almost all metrics for national champions.
Well, next year we will have a senior 4 star #50 in his class next year.

I wouldn't really think of Scheyer, either Lamb or Rush as a pg on that list. Sherron Collins actually is the one I remember as the primary PG for that team.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Allen doesnt pick up two dumb quick fouls in the first half, Arizona likely wins
Miller doesnt coach a huge stinker, Arizona likely wins
One more 3 goes in, Arizona likely wins
Lauri and Dusan don't get their lunch money stolen from them many times in the paint, a zone is mixed in a few possessions, Arizona likely wins

PG position was not responsible for bad seeding or a tournament loss in at least the last four years so why reinvent the wheel? Mix a few things up and focus more on coaching and the final four will come easily.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

PJC on paper really is a good PG who could lead the team to 'ship along with a Jr Trier. But we all know that's not happening. At best I think he can lead the team to a F4, maybe. He has obvious limitations.

Duval with Trier at his side, good Lord! But obviously that's not happening.
PHXCATS wrote:Allen doesnt pick up two dumb quick fouls in the first half, Arizona likely wins
Lauri and Dusan don't get their lunch money stolen from them many times in the paint, a zone is mixed in a few possessions, Arizona likely wins

PG position was not responsible for bad seeding or a tournament loss in at least the last four years so why reinvent the wheel? Mix a few things up and focus more on coaching and the final four will come easily.
If PJC could create the ball wouldn't be in Trier hands so much. Give better looks for Trier instead of ISO zo having to go ISO zo. A good PG could find Markkanen. PJC has nothing on offense to contribute and can't create his own shot. It's a snowball effect that keeps growing and growing that starts small by not having a capable PG. Late in games when Trier is the main ball handler and thus is the distributor, that's a problem. So Trier does the inevitable, he ISO balls it, that's who he is, can't blame a fish for swimming.
Last edited by NYCat on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

NYCat wrote:PJC on paper really is a good PG who could lead the team to 'ship along with a Jr Trier. But we all know that's not happening. At best I think he can lead the team to a F4, maybe. He has obvious limitations.

Duval with Trier at his side, good Lord! But obviously that's not happening.
PHXCATS wrote:Allen doesnt pick up two dumb quick fouls in the first half, Arizona likely wins

If PJC could create the ball wouldn't be in Trier hands so much. Give better looks for Trier instead of ISO zo having to go ISO zo. A good PG could find Markkanen. PJC has nothing on offense to contribute and can't create his own shot. It's a snowball effect that keeps growing and growing that starts small by not having a capable PG. Late in games when Trier is the main ball handler and thus is the distributor, that's a problem.
Nycats, I think you just nailed it, re: my trier ISO Zo concerns and inability to get the ball to Lauri. It has to be that way because that's the what we have.

Great great post.