Lorenzo Romar

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

Re: Lorenzo Romar

Post by NYCat »

Beefcurtainsandwich wrote:Does adding Romar get us access to any of UW's defecting 2017 players?
No probably too late. And the best players (Davis, Porter) already committed elsewhere. Impact is probably 2018 and on
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

NYCat wrote:
Beefcurtainsandwich wrote:Does adding Romar get us access to any of UW's defecting 2017 players?
No probably too late. And the best players (Davis, Porter) already committed elsewhere. Impact is probably 2018 and on
Agree about 2018 but I think he will also play a role in Trier and Alkins internally
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

This is solid for both sides.

Arizona gets a good recruiter and great person who helps out a lot as an assistant.

Romar gets to learn from Miller and if he does well for two years gets a much better opportunity than he would this year and probably next year if he sat out a year, if he does want a head coaching job again. Could just want to be a part of a winner for a while before retirement as well.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Also, Miller would obviously learn a ton from working with Lorenzo Romar on a daily basis.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
What?

Fultz, Marquese Chriss, CJ Wilcox, Terrance Ross, Dejounte Murray, Quincy Pondexter, Justin Holiday and Isaiah Thomas are all NBA playes who graduated from UW from 2010 on. Last year, they had two players drafted in the first round, one lottery and we had zero picked in the whole draft.

I just don't understand the argument they have not had a good amount of talent.
Do I really have to spell this out for you, this will be my last post on the topic since regardless we would both be happy to have him (for different reasons).

Last five years.
2016-17: Fultz is the only one who would be in our rotation (A huge addition)
2015-16: Chriss plays for us, Murray plays for us but would more likely be in the Kobi Simmons role (Miller would not be a fan of a guy who needs to shoot 14 shots a game to score 16 and plays next to no defense). Highly doubt anyone else would make our rotation (maybe a senior Andrew Andrews)
2014-15: Goss (their star) would play as our 6th Man, Upshaw would come off the bench as well. No one else.
2013-14: Wilcox and Goss would both come off our bench.

Romar has had one class ranked in the top 25 since 2008, and even that class was far weaker than ours. We had 3 players ranked higher than their best recruit and our fourth recruit was only 4 spots below. So yeah, the talent difference is huge and his recruiting is not great. He got Fultz (awesome get) and had Porter (dad hired) but thats about it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

NYCat wrote:I'm disappointed, I wanted Lavar Ball
I wanted Lucky Wishbone.
Right where I want to be.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

He's a coach that players seem to genuinely like, and it would be nice to have another good recruiter on the staff. But other than that, I don't quite get high level of excitement for him. It's not like we were hurting in the recruiting department. Image
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
What?

Fultz, Marquese Chriss, CJ Wilcox, Terrance Ross, Dejounte Murray, Quincy Pondexter, Justin Holiday and Isaiah Thomas are all NBA playes who graduated from UW from 2010 on. Last year, they had two players drafted in the first round, one lottery and we had zero picked in the whole draft.

Do I really have to spell this out for you, this will be my last post on the topic since regardless we would both be happy to have him (for different reasons).

Last five years.
2015-16: Chriss plays for us, Murray plays for us but would more likely be in the Kobi Simmons role (Miller would not be a fan of a guy who needs to shoot 14 shots a game to score 16 and plays next to no defense). Highly doubt anyone else would make our rotation (maybe a senior Andrew Andrews)
2014-15: Goss (their star) would play as our 6th Man, Upshaw would come off the bench as well. No one else.

Romar has had one class ranked in the top 25 since 2008, and even that class was far weaker than ours. We had 3 players ranked higher than their best recruit and our fourth recruit was only 4 spots below. So yeah, the talent difference is huge and his recruiting is not great. He got Fultz (awesome get) and had Porter (dad hired) but thats about it.
I don't disagree with most of what just said, but overall Romar has gotten in with numerous high end talents that he couldn't land simply due to the fact he coached at Washington. He'll be a very effective recruiter for a major program like Arizona.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I think Miller went with the messy hamburger.

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Josh Gershon of Scout.com said on DawgmanRadio that former Washington Huskies head coach Lorenzo Romar “is way more likely than not” to join Arizona’s coaching staff.

“Is it possible that something falls apart? Of course,” Gershon said. “But Sean Miller is moving forward with Romar as his top option and Romar wants the job, so at this point it’s just working out details. I do think that as of now that will happen.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... on-offense" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

A house in Tucson vs. a house in Seattle. He will come out on top of that financial transaction.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Not a point guard
gumby

Post by gumby »

Sometimes he was. :D

Something to remember. He recruited many of the players on the 1995 UCLA team that won a natty. Recruiting to Westwood and Tucson is easier.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

So if Miller is a witch, what does that make Romar? A shaman?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Guessing it's done next week
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
What?

Last five years.

I won't push, because you're right that we both want him.

Over that period, UW is 79-83. Just having 5 first round talents during that time period, I would think that you can/should do better. I agree he didn't have depth of talent, but 5 first rounders with 2 lottery guys, you'd think there would be a 20 win season or at least over .500.

But it's cool to disagree, and bottom line, he would be a great add.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Lo Romar is a terrific get!

A player's coach and a superb recruiter. Player morale will zoom when dealing with him, especially among the new players coming in. Prospects will think "If I join Arizona I get one of the very best coaches in the country, assisted in a major way by Lorenzo Romar? If I join the Arizona Program, I'll achieve and develop!

I've known this man for over 15 years. Lo is a terrific guy with top hoops knowledge and experience, charisma which is real, and ethical make-up simply beyond question.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I wonder how LR will handle CSM F bombs LOL
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:I wonder how LR will handle CSM F bombs LOL
They'll balance each other. I think the players will greatly benefit from having two such different personality types.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
They'll balance each other. I think the players will greatly benefit from having two such different personality types.

Yep, worked well with Lute when KO was assistant. They had open practices back then, and my dad being retired used to go to. My dad could not believe the language from KO's mouth. Always mutha fookin this and all kinds of cursing. Even used the N word according my dad.

Lute of course probably never even said "damn" or "shit".
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Yep, worked well with Lute when KO was assistant. They had open practices back then, and my dad being retired used to go to. My dad could not believe the language from KO's mouth. Always mutha fookin this and all kinds of cursing. Even used the N word according my dad.

Haha...no, not Lute. He's as reserved and classy as they come, an old-school "gentleman." KO is a hard-drinking, irascible maniac.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Such a strange pairing.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

We need a ranked list of all-time greatest Arizona assistant coaches through the years. And we still need a ranked list of all-time greatest jump ball showdowns at McKale center court.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

scumdevils86 wrote:What restaurant I wonder
Fuddruckers
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

For those questioning the recruiting impact, aside from what has already been mentioned think of this: who is a recruit going to get more excited seeing at a game, calling them on the phone, or talking to mom and dad after a game? Joe Pasternack? Or Lorenzo Romar? One was the head coach at New Orleans for 3 years... The other was the head coach of a power conference school for 15 years, said program was at or near the top of said conference for 7 of those years and is probably in the top 10 in terms of pumping great players into the NBA in the last 10-12 years or so, and the dude played in the NBA himself.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Miller and Romar are going to be a great combo.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote: I personally would be most interested in Romar for his ability to actually coach a functional offense, that would be a welcome addition.
Watching UW the past few years, their offense consisted of pushing the ball up court quickly and jacking up a shot regardless if any teammates had worked into position for offensive rebounding. And people wonder why UW missed the NCAA tourney the last six years.
Thank you. In the Miller era, UW has had a better offense than Arizona twice: in 2009-10 and 2011-12, pretty unquestionably our two worst years. Lately they haven't been close.
And lately Washington has had no more than 1 or 2 starters who would sniff the court at Arizona, yet we are praising his recruiting because he hired the number 1 recruits dad? There are very few times the last 5 years in which my eyes did not feel Arizona's offensive production was far below their offensive talent. I can not say the same for UW under Romar, I feel their offensive production has far outweighed their weak talent level most years.
What?

Also Spencer Hawes and Nate Robinson as well.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

undies!!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin wrote:
Sounds like a done deal. Nice. 8-)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
gumby

Post by gumby »

Some dude named Brandon Roy, who was an elite NBA player if not for injuries. Jon Brockman was a 5-star. UofA wanted both.

Tony Wroten another big-time recruit.

This is good news, if true.

Oh, and Abdul Gaddy. We recruited him. McD.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote: Oh, and Abdul Gaddy. We recruited him. McD.
Twice a UA "commit".
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

So does Romar get to name his price or how does that work? Is he gonna ask for $350K?

Pasternack was right around $200K
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Arizona is about to get Romar'd
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe wrote:So does Romar get to name his price or how does that work? Is he gonna ask for $350K?

Does it matter?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:So does Romar get to name his price or how does that work? Is he gonna ask for $350K?

Pasternack was actually $300K.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Really need Romar to recruit internally and keep the guys who Arizona needs and need to stay for their future
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:Arizona is about to get Romar'd
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I've always respected Miller on every level. But if he pulls this off, it will show the true depth of Miller and his desire to win.

Its one thing to hire people that are highly qualified but less talented and less experienced than the boss and will pose no threat to the boss. But when the boss puts his/her ego aside and hires subordinates just as talented and experienced within their peer group speak volumes.

If Romar accepts the position, he won't be here for more than a year. But even more meaningful than that is the leadership that Sean Miller will have shown in even contemplating a hire like Romar.

Miller has balls, and has made a super smart move bringing in the respected old veteran coach who is every bit Millers equal.

Much respect!
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Gladiator Cat wrote:I've always respected Miller on every level. But if he pulls this off, it will show the true depth of Miller and his desire to win.

Its one thing to hire people that are highly qualified but less talented and less experienced than the boss and will pose no threat to the boss. But when the boss puts his/her ego aside and hires subordinates just as talented and experienced within their peer group speak volumes.

If Romar accepts the position, he won't be here for more than a year. But even more meaningful than that is the leadership that Sean Miller will have shown in even contemplating a hire like Romar.

Miller has balls, and has made a super smart move bringing in the respected old veteran coach who is every bit Millers equal.

Much respect!
Qft
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Gladiator Cat wrote:I've always respected Miller on every level. But if he pulls this off, it will show the true depth of Miller and his desire to win.

Much respect!
Good post. This is absolutely a hire by a coach that is pushing for the next level and has zero insecurity and total ambition.

I'm not 100% Romar would be here for only a year, though. I think he would be here to wait for the right opportunity to open so that when he returns as a head coach, it can be to a situation that he can succeed in. If he just takes the first job he can get, hell, it could be an ASU-level graveyard. I would figure this is designed to raise his profile and wait for a job he wants and is set to become a winner.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Much respect!
Good post. This is absolutely a hire by a coach that is pushing for the next level and has zero insecurity and total ambition.

I'm not 100% Romar would be here for only a year, though. I think he would be here to wait for the right opportunity to open so that when he returns as a head coach, it can be to a situation that he can succeed in. If he just takes the first job he can get, hell, it could be an ASU-level graveyard. I would figure this is designed to raise his profile and wait for a job he wants and is set to become a winner.
Yes. For example, he wasn't going to take UCSB, which ABSOLUTELY would have hired him. He can get a high major job a little down the line. Plus, it's probably attractive to work with top talent with a chance to win big and to work at McKale.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Much respect!

Spiff,

I happen to agree with you and longhorn. The one year time frame is probably incorrect, but you never know. LR will wait for the right high profile situation to make his move.

Him being here for a few years if it happens would be the perfect scenario.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Pinch me
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Much respect!
Otay....

I am thrilled with this hire, and think it says an awful lot about BOTH Romar & Miller - and in nothing but a good way. I have always liked Romar (more than most on UA boards for a majority of his tenure at UW, actually) but you lost me at the "every bit Miller's equal" comment... and a couple posters I have great respect for agree with you.

I am not sure if it's a sudden infatuation with the best possible assistant hire we could have made... or people putting Miller into Romar status because he can't get over the hump. If its the latter I find that laughable.

Time for me to be gone for a while... Peace out.

See you on the FB boards in the fall where we will be watching the UA coach who gets more credit than he has earned & deserves to be on a really short leash...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think it's just a rhetorical statement meant to be generous both to Romar's experience Miller's smarts, not to mention Miller's balls.