let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

zonagrad

Re: let's talk '17

Post by zonagrad »

ASUHATER! wrote:If we get none of Duval, Cam and Bowen and Comanche and Rawle leave... We'll be hurting
Relative to who?

Oregon is the big loser in the McCoy recruitment. Why the kid chooses to play for UNLV in the wasteland that has become the Mountain West is a my$tery. Our frontline depth could be an issue, but Ristic is what he is and is still a load for most opponents. Pinder is a solid contributor and will thrive playing alongside Ayton. Randolph is going to get quality minutes, even more so if Rawle leaves (which I hope he doesn't). I hardly think we'll be hurting.
az91

Post by az91 »

ChooChooCat wrote:All I know is that if you have the chance to be coached by Marvin Menzies even for only a year you hop on that opportunity.
LOL, this is the post of the week. Who thought McCoy would actually choose UNLV? This is a huge blow to Oregon.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

zonagrad wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:If we get none of Duval, Cam and Bowen and Comanche and Rawle leave... We'll be hurting
Relative to who?

Oregon is the big loser in the McCoy recruitment. Why the kid chooses to play for UNLV in the wasteland that has become the Mountain West is a my$tery. Our frontline depth could be an issue, but Ristic is what he is and is still a load for most opponents. Pinder is a solid contributor and will thrive playing alongside Ayton. Randolph is going to get quality minutes, even more so if Rawle leaves (which I hope he doesn't). I hardly think we'll be hurting.

Compared to Kansas, Duke, Louisville, WVU, UK, Florida, UNC, and any other team that stands in Miller's way to get this squad over the hump. 9 ships leaves no room for error or injury.

PJC
Trier
Randolph
Ayton
ristic

Bench : Lee, Pinder, smith, and Barcello might win the PAC, but that's iffy for a final 4.
az91

Post by az91 »

PennZona20 wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Relative to who?

Compared to Kansas, Duke, Louisville, WVU, UK, Florida, UNC, and any other team that stands in Miller's way to get this squad over the hump. 9 ships leaves no room for error or injury.

PJC
Trier
Randolph
Ayton
ristic

Bench : Lee, Pinder, smith, and Barcello might win the PAC, but that's iffy for a final 4.
Not that he would do much, but is Talbot Denny still on the team or did he go pro, graduate, or transfer?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PennZona20 wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

PJC
Trier
Randolph
Ayton
ristic

Yeah, anything can happen, but I wouldn't have any expectations of a deep tournament run with that squad, and if things play out the way I think they will with UCLA and USC, they may have something to say about us being Pac 12 favorites. Starting two inconsistent guys in PJC and Ristic who will also hamstring you on defense, with a really weak (by our standards) bench. That starting five will score the basketball, but as soon as you start tapping into that bench id have concerns. I need both Rawle and Chance coming back to get back to feeling really really good about this team. Or Duval and one of them, which wont happen :)
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Hasn't Romar been helping on the PG recruit trail? Is Williams-Goss a grad transfer possibility from Gonzaga?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:Hasn't Romar been helping on the PG recruit trail? Is Williams-Goss a grad transfer possibility from Gonzaga?
NBA.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

He's finally picking Duke
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Well, if he goes anywhere but Duke, a lot of people here are gonna be shocked.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

On 1290 show they're talking about some 2018 guy reclassifying to 2017. Something​like Shinzola Shitu?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:On 1290 show they're talking about some 2018 guy reclassifying to 2017. Something​like Shinzola Shitu?
http://247sports.com/Player/Simisola-Shittu-86023" target="_blank
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Ah guys on 1290 couldn't spell or pronounce his name at all then

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Interesting, did they say Arizona is involved? Looks like he's a PF and UW was highly involved with him during Romar's time.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Oregon
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:Interesting, did they say Arizona is involved? Looks like he's a PF and UW was highly involved with him during Romar's time.
They pointed out that Arizona just followed him on Twitter and the Romar connection

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Interesting, did they say Arizona is involved? Looks like he's a PF and UW was highly involved with him during Romar's time.
They pointed out that Arizona just followed him on Twitter and the Romar connection
Let me put my tin foil hat on for a second:

Comanche stays in draft - Insert Shittu
Rawle stays in draft - Insert Akot

Both are friends, Romar has the Shittu connection. Roster done.
McKale Midwest

Post by McKale Midwest »

I know how much you guys like Twitter, so here's a fun fact for you:

Shittu now follows @APlayersProgram on twitter.
@APlayersProgram follows Shittu on twitter.
Akot follows both Shittu and @APlayersProgram.

The stars are aligning.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hmm. It doesn't sub for Rawle, but it would give us another good post if Chance leaves.

So many dominoes.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Let me put my tin foil hat on for a second:

Comanche stays in draft - Insert Shittu
Rawle stays in draft - Insert Akot

Both are friends, Romar has the Shittu connection. Roster done.
Don't Shitt me.
prh

Post by prh »

I would really don't want to take 2 guys who are reclassifying to come early. With Zo coming back, Ayton, this team is a definite contender, but I would much prefer guys coming back as sophs than guys coming in early.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

prh wrote:I would really don't want to take 2 guys who are reclassifying to come early. With Zo coming back, Ayton, this team is a definite contender, but I would much prefer guys coming back as sophs than guys coming in early.
Nobody else wants that either. But if we lose both, having those two bodies would be important
gumby

Post by gumby »

Simisola Shittu. Man, you guys don't know shit from Shinola.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... ola-shittu" target="_blank

Major offers.
Right where I want to be.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I can't wait until Rawle and Chief come back and end all the hand-wringing
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Kentucky hosted Pittsburgh graduate transfer Cam Johnson Wednesday-Friday.
“Just finished up, it was really good,” Johnson said Friday by text.
Visit wrapped up today, he could still commit to UK. But hopefully he sets other visits, else it's Kentucky.
McKale Midwest

Post by McKale Midwest »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGuTfEucYXU" target="_blank

Has anybody watched Shittu's highlights from the Canadian U17 team?! He is extremely athletic and versatile to be listed as a PF. If he develops more of a perimeter shot, he will be a heck of a SF at the next level.
Last edited by McKale Midwest on Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

McKale Midwest wrote:Has anybody watched Shittu's highlights from the Canadian U17 team?! He is extremely athletic and versatile to be listed as a PF. If he develops more of a perimeter shot, he will be a heck of a SF at the next level.
Yes. He seems like a Cheick Diallo type, in that he doesn't have a particularly defined post game, but is athletic, springy and big. I'm not sure if he can shoot the J, but he definitely can handle and run.
McKale Midwest

Post by McKale Midwest »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
McKale Midwest wrote:Has anybody watched Shittu's highlights from the Canadian U17 team?! He is extremely athletic and versatile to be listed as a PF. If he develops more of a perimeter shot, he will be a heck of a SF at the next level.
Yes. He seems like a Cheick Diallo type, in that he doesn't have a particularly defined post game, but is athletic, springy and big. I'm not sure if he can shoot the J, but he definitely can handle and run.
He is listed at 210-220 lbs as well. Imagine what a year in Arizona's strength and conditioning program could do for a guy like that.

I really like Chance, but he travels damn near half the time hes gets a low post touch. We've already got a guy in Dusan that refuses to pass the ball out of the post, I wouldn't mind having a guy like Shittu that doesn't further clog up the lane.

I know everybody is worried about taking guys from the potential 2018 class, but I think if Rawle comes back, that next year is our best chance to make it to the Final Four. So why not go ALL IN?

Plus, if we have a real chance at getting Shittu, with us already having O'Neal, that would put us out of the Bagley running. No way recruit three 5 star PF's in the same class. I say we try to get Shittu to reclassify and join to 2017 class, and get Bagley for 2018.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well guys I Shittu not.
gumby

Post by gumby »

CIA Bounce was playing FBI Leak, unnamed sources say.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chase Jeter will be visiting with him.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Evan Daniels thinks its down to Kentucky/AZ for Johnson

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2017/4/29/154 ... ky-arizona" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Nothing is going to happen until Rawle signs with an agent or announces he's returning. Bowen and Johnson will remain on the table until then.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Nothing is going to happen until Rawle signs with an agent or announces he's returning. Bowen and Johnson will remain on the table until then.
Crazy. Can't remember a situation quite like this one, with an early entrant on the fence, an uncommitted 5-star player, and a high level transfer all hanging in the balance.

If I had to rank these three in order of most preferred to least: Rawle, CJ, BB.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Nothing is going to happen until Rawle signs with an agent or announces he's returning. Bowen and Johnson will remain on the table until then.
Crazy. Can't remember a situation quite like this one, with an early entrant on the fence, an uncommitted 5-star player, and a high level transfer all hanging in the balance.

If I had to rank these three in order of most preferred to least: Rawle, CJ, BB.

I'd mostly agree w that ...... think by end of year BB may be better than CJ. CJ is literally only a college 3 and D guy. That's it. BB has a much more diverse offensive game.

Then again u are getting CJ for two years and BB quite possibly one. So they are probably a wash. Certainly I'd rather have RA than either. Preferably 2 of 3, but that seems unlikely.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I would love to have a legitimate SF who can shoot and play good defense. We've lacked that recently.

It seams that we will end up with one of RA or BB, but I don't see Rawle's return, or Bowen's commitment affecting CJs decision. CJs commitment would fill one of two of our weaknesses. Our other weakness is not getting fixed this season, save for a last minute change of heart on Duval's part.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that CJ coming here may be enough to push us over the edge in spite of our defensive liability of a PG.

Side note: I clearly see PJC's downfall on defense, but other than that part of his game I don't see any physical deficiencies in his game. I get that he has confidence issues, but once he was healthy last season I feel that he was sufficient in running our offense and hitting a good percent of his open looks from outside.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Yeah. That was supposed to be Ray Smith.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:I would love to have a legitimate SF who can shoot and play good defense. We've lacked that recently.

It seams that we will end up with one of RA or BB, but I don't see Rawle's return, or Bowen's commitment affecting CJs decision. CJs commitment would fill one of two of our weaknesses. Our other weakness is not getting fixed this season, save for a last minute change of heart on Duval's part.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that CJ coming here may be enough to push us over the edge in spite of our defensive liability of a PG.

Side note: I clearly see PJC's downfall on defense, but other than that part of his game I don't see any physical deficiencies in his game. I get that he has confidence issues, but once he was healthy last season I feel that he was sufficient in running our offense and hitting a good percent of his open looks from outside.
Rawle or Bowen can fill the shooter, defender role. Bowen was 7/8 from 3 in the JBC and Rawle was a solid shooter in his freshman year.

The only thing Johnson brings is more size, but he is just a 3 and D guy. He won't be getting to the rim or creating. Rawle-Bowen-Johnson is my preference order.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Johnson is an oversized SG, Rawle is an undersized SF (like Lance Stephenson), Bowen is apparently a terrible defender.

But still need someone in that 6'7 -/+ range who can play on the wing. That was a problem last year, didn't have anyone to fill the role. Perimeter defense won't be any good again.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:Johnson is an oversized SG, Rawle is an undersized SF (like Lance Stephenson), Bowen is apparently a terrible defender.

But still need someone in that 6'7 -/+ range who can play on the wing. That was a problem last year, didn't have anyone to fill the role. Perimeter defense won't be any good again.
We basically need a Justin Jackson type. Who doesn't?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

We should be preparing ourselves now for the fact that next years team is not going to be what we are used to defendively, top to bottom.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

rgdeuce wrote:We should be preparing ourselves now for the fact that next years team is not going to be what we are used to defendively, top to bottom.
Every team since they '14 & '15 team hasn't been very good defensively. Last year the only good defensive player was Allen. Getting used to it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

I'd mostly agree w that ...... think by end of year BB may be better than CJ. CJ is literally only a college 3 and D guy. That's it. BB has a much more diverse offensive game.

Then again u are getting CJ for two years and BB quite possibly one. So they are probably a wash. Certainly I'd rather have RA than either. Preferably 2 of 3, but that seems unlikely.
I'm not convinced CJ is a 3 and D guy, more like just a 3 guy.

Either way after discussion on this site about the situation my preferences go as follows: 1. Rawle 2. Bowen 3. CJ
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

NYCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:We should be preparing ourselves now for the fact that next years team is not going to be what we are used to defendively, top to bottom.
Every team since they '14 & '15 team hasn't been very good defensively. Last year the only good defensive player was Allen. Getting used to it.
Well, I can live with 28th this year and 29th last year if those are down years. But I don't expect the 17-18 team to be in the top 40 a lot of the year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Well, I can live with 28th this year and 29th last year if those are down years. But I don't expect the 17-18 team to be in the top 40 a lot of the year.
It depends. We've never had a rim protector like Ayton. If he brings the motor, that alone would put us in range of the 15-16 and 16-17 teams. If Alkins returns, I was really impressed with his progression over his freshman year and think he can be Kadeemish.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

you're kadeemish
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:you're kadeemish
So I frequently have to post in areas I'm not comfortable with due to the paucity of other posters satisfactorily posting in that area?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

:lol:
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:you're kadeemish
So I frequently have to post in areas I'm not comfortable with due to the paucity of other posters satisfactorily posting in that area?
Means you dominated JC message boards.