Re: let's talk '17

Post by rgdeuce »

Very nice.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Landing Duke transfer Chase Jeter 'a big win' for Arizona Wildcats

By Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star May 16, 2017 Updated 7 hrs ago

“For Arizona to be able to bring him in at a position that as of now lacks serious 8-) depth is a big win for Sean Miller.”

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 8757d.html" target="_blank

Arizona will be a Final Four contender next season, but now Sean Miller has a solid piece for the years to come. On Tuesday night, former Duke forward Chase Jeter announced he was moving to the desert. He'll play for Arizona, but because of undergraduate transfer rules, he will sit out the upcoming season before being eligible to play in 2018-19.

Arizona fans can be excited with the acquisition, though it's fair to label Jeter as a project at this point. He was a five-star prospect (ranked 15th overall) and McDonald's All-American in the class of 2015. But he amounted to little at Duke, averaging 2.1 points and 2.2 rebounds in two seasons and at 10 minutes per game. Be it because of other personnel or Mike Krzyzewski's scheme, Jeter was a rare case of a five-star prospect who did not pan out for the Blue Devils.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... r-recruit/" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

This should be in the '18 thread. Unless, we talkin bout practice?

What can we expect? Hopefully much more than he did at Duke
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:This should be in the '18 thread. Unless, we talkin bout practice?

What can we expect? Hopefully much more than he did at Duke
He's still part of the 2017 class. Semantics.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

az91

Post by az91 »

84Cat wrote:Bamba to Texas?

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/recr ... -longhorns" target="_blank
Yup. I'm glad he didn't choose Duke or Kentucky.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Shaka making his move.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Shaka making his move.
Shaka's seat is getting hot. He better be making moves fast.

That said, Texas is a ridiculous atmosphere. The fan base (football and basketball) has zero patience and will can someone at the drop of hat.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

That said, Texas is a ridiculous atmosphere. The fan base (football and basketball) has zero patience and will can someone at the drop of hat.
If Shaka continues to struggle in Austin, I suppose the question could arise whether he's a "good fit" for that program. The guy can obviously coach, and most programs would be thrilled to have him. So UT needs to hang in there. If CSM left for the NBA and we hired Shaka, how would we feel? I'd be happy with that hire.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

No one gives a shit about Texas basketball in Austin. If they're good awesome, if not then nobody really cares. That fact plus the resources available is what makes it such an attractive job.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

If Shaka continues to struggle in Austin, I suppose the question could arise whether he's a "good fit" for that program. The guy can obviously coach, and most programs would be thrilled to have him. So UT needs to hang in there. If CSM left for the NBA and we hired Shaka, how would we feel? I'd be happy with that hire.
Why are we always playing these 'what if' games? Who the hell knows what the coaching landscape will be by the time Miller does leave? Shaka may be coming off another losing season and to be fair outside of his one final four season at VCU the guy has never made it past the first weekend of the tourney. Chris Holtmann may be the hottest name on the market or maybe it'll be Brad Underwood or maybe still Chris Mack. We're still finishing up our roster for next year and you're seriously concerned with a hypothetical of Miller leaving for the NBA? Oooook.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

No one gives a shit about Texas basketball in Austin. If they're good awesome, if not then nobody really cares. That fact plus the resources available is what makes it such an attractive job.
He'll get fired if he isn't in the sweet 16 next year. Last year was the worst record in the history of Texas basketball.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Always wondered how or why these coaches who have excelled at smaller schools and then struggle at power 5 schools fade away.

Is it that they face other coaches that game plan at a higher level? Is it that they can identify the player that is a 4 year development type kid and they have time to do so but at the bigger schools they struggle with better athlete who might resist coaching. At times it us perplexing at least to me as I think most thought Smart would kill it at the next level
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
az91

Post by az91 »

With Rawle coming back, I assume Bowen and Cam Johnson are going elsewhere. There is still one open scholarship, right? if so, any idea if it gets filled?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

az91 wrote:With Rawle coming back, I assume Bowen and Cam Johnson are going elsewhere. There is still one open scholarship, right? if so, any idea if it gets filled?
Doesn't look like it will get filled.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

az91 wrote:With Rawle coming back, I assume Bowen and Cam Johnson are going elsewhere. There is still one open scholarship, right? if so, any idea if it gets filled?
There's always prayer for point guards.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
There's always prayer for point guards.
Man, that's so ironic considering we are / were 'Point Guard U' and CSM is a former PG.......I know how we got into this situation (by allowing Daddy PJC to scare us away from recruiting over PJC....please correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Also, 'Prayers for Point Guards' sounds like a church prayer group we need to get in on ;-).
Bangkok Wildcat

If those kids are too much of a pussy to fight for playing time, learn under CSM, and be part of a Player's Program then screw them....otherwise 'Man The F Up' and I'll welcome them with open arms......just sayin'
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

az91 wrote:With Rawle coming back, I assume Bowen and Cam Johnson are going elsewhere
Bowen definitely, but I don't see why Cam wouldn't come to AZ. He could be our 1st guy off the bench next season and start at the 2 or 3 in 2018-19.

I wanted Rawle for another year way more than Bowen, so I'm thrilled about this. I'd like to have Cam too, but I think we'll be alright if he goes elsewhere.
Bangkok Wildcat

Beachcat97 wrote:
az91 wrote:With Rawle coming back, I assume Bowen and Cam Johnson are going elsewhere
Bowen definitely, but I don't see why Cam wouldn't come to AZ. He could be our 1st guy off the bench next season and start at the 2 or 3 in 2018-19.

I wanted Rawle for another year way more than Bowen, so I'm thrilled about this. I'd like to have Cam too, but I think we'll be alright if he goes elsewhere.
Agreed that Rawle >>>>>>> Bowen by far! Let's see if he has the guts and drive to want to play on a contender or not.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Neither Cam or Bowen are coming, but the probable reality would be that either would get a ton of minutes, and eventually start. Trier is going to play 25 minutes at the 1.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Looking forward to playing against Bowen at Oregon and Johnson at UCLA.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
Davis does not like AZ, so it probably pains him to say this.

Still, nice to get the recognition.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

... so final 2017 recruiting class will be

DeAndre Ayton
Brandon Randolph
Emmanuel Akot
Ira Lee
Alex Barcello
Bangkok Wildcat

NYCat wrote:... so final 2017 recruiting class will be

DeAndre Ayton
Brandon Randolph
Emmanuel Akot
Ira Lee
Alex Barcello
That is one hell of a class!!! Wow, the Akot reclassification caught me off-guard.

Great job Coach Miller and Team....now let's avoid the snakebites and get ready for one heck of a P12 Season :-). Bear Down.
Bangkok Wildcat

So Akot essentially skipping his Senior Year in HS, would mean our expectations should be dramatically tempered down for him? I would think so IMHO....he's basically a Pre-Freshman right?

Really hope he doesn't come in thinking he's a OND....I would think a minimum 2 years needed BUT thanks to the NBA's 'war on college hoops' who the heck knows....smh.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Akot has already been 18 for 2 months
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not that it matters all that much, but I wonder where Akot would rank in the '17 class. Top 20?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

He's listed as #20 on 247 sports
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Bangkok Wildcat

ASUHATER! wrote:Akot has already been 18 for 2 months
Ok, thanks for that....was watching CSM presser and his comments on that made me think a bit. Still, a huge leap from HS to Arizona Hoops.

Is Akot expected to be a OND? Any intel on his 'camp' or advisors that might be pushing him to be a OND?

Man, these days I'm paranoid about any 5 star coming in....almost makes me wish we'd adopt an approach with recruits something akin to: 'We expect and strongly recommend a 2 year commitment to the Arizona Program for our mutual benefit....' For all the obvious reasons......

From a fans perspective, sure would make it more fun to follow these kids BUT I would also feel better knowing they had better development, more education, and more maturity before they enter the grind of pro ball.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MaxPreps does a highlight for Arizona's 2017 class (and sort of forgets Barcello):

https://youtu.be/zS8FFjatVK8" target="_blank
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Not sure why everyone is so happy with this news... Akot reclassifying is really going to really hurt our '18 class.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:Not sure why everyone is so happy with this news... Akot reclassifying is really going to really hurt our '18 class.
Not sure if you're serious. Either Akot stays for 2 and is much better for it in 2018 or Miller will pull more recruiting magic. You've got to have faith like Limp Bizkit.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

With college bball with a team at AZ'S level you can't project forward anyway. Not like in Lute's years anyway
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon May 22, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I have feeling Ira Lee may end up being my favorite player in this class.

I am hoping he is DWill 2.0. I believe DWill was around 6'8 210 when he entered college too.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Not sure why everyone is so happy with this news... Akot reclassifying is really going to really hurt our '18 class.
Not sure if you're serious. Either Akot stays for 2 and is much better for it in 2018 or Miller will pull more recruiting magic. You've got to have faith like Limp Bizkit.
Even if Akot stays 5 years our '18 class is now dogshit because of him.

We are screwed.
Bangkok Wildcat

Alieberman wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

We are screwed.
Can you please explain for those of us who aren't following your train of thought here but respect your opinions and analysis?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

We are screwed.
Can you please explain for those of us who aren't following your train of thought here but respect your opinions and analysis?

I think your sarcasm meter is broken.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

We are screwed.
Lol that's some good satire.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

We are screwed.
Your biggest mistake is respecting my opinions! I was just trying to explore my inner BeachCat
Bangkok Wildcat

Yep, sarcasm detector was down....thanks for playing me.....next time a 'lol' or some other indicator for us 'sarcastically-challenged' (yes, that is a real disability) would be nice. ;-)

Anyways, I'm sure there is some effect of this on the '18 Class....but I guess it's too early to tell.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

There's still a top 40, 4 Star uncommitted point guard out there...........I wonder if Miller is taking a look?

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... ont-waters" target="_blank

The kid isn't any bigger than PJC, although he appears to be much quicker (at least on tape). He does have a pretty
impressive offer list.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:There's still a top 40, 4 Star uncommitted point guard out there...........I wonder if Miller is taking a look?

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... ont-waters" target="_blank

The kid isn't any bigger than PJC, although he appears to be much quicker (at least on tape). He does have a pretty
impressive offer list.
Nah we're done.

This kid is rumored to be headed for Western Kentucky and announcing it in a matter of days.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

plus we are maxed out on scholly's no?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

A1RZONA wrote:plus we are maxed out on scholly's no?
I think he was implying to recruit the kid and drop PJC, which isn't happening. For better or for worse Miller is committed to PJC being his guy.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:
A1RZONA wrote:plus we are maxed out on scholly's no?
I think he was implying to recruit the kid and drop PJC, which isn't happening. For better or for worse Miller is committed to PJC being his guy.
PJC has continued to improve, especially on his outside shot. He is also pass first which will be great with all of our weapons this year. Obviously his biggest drawbacks are defensive limitations and injury prone. I thought he was great with tarczewski and think he could excel with ayton.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... order/true" target="_blank

So ESPN ranked Akot #41 in the class of '17. Lower than where some thought he'd be.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... order/true

So ESPN ranked Akot #41 in the class of '17. Lower than where some thought he'd be.
That's actually where I thought he'd be, closer to Randolph's ranking rather than top 20.