let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bear Down Vegas

Re: let's talk '18

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

I'm actually really excited to watch CJ play for us in '18 after practicing a year with coach & the team. Great news.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

If it costs us Bol it'll suck, if we have no center and lose Bol anyway that'll suck even more.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:If it costs us Bol it'll suck, if we have no center and lose Bol anyway that'll suck even more.
Definitely looks like Kentucky is ahead for Bol.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's a good add. If things hold, we have 4th year junior Jeter, soph Lee, freshman Shareef and any additional people in 2018. That is already decent.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is Bol really all that? I know he's highly rated and a mile tall, but boy is he lanky and skinny and a little awkward in that ginormous frame, a lot like his old man. I haven't seen footage of Bol actually going up against a player anywhere near his size, or even a smaller stronger player.

I'm happy to hear counterarguments on this, but I think we can be okay without Mini Manute.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:It's a good add. If things hold, we have 4th year junior Jeter, soph Lee, freshman Shareef and any additional people in 2018. That is already decent.
Exactly.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:It's a good add. If things hold, we have 4th year junior Jeter, soph Lee, freshman Shareef and any additional people in 2018. That is already decent.
And Akot
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Is Bol really all that? I know he's highly rated and a mile tall, but boy is he lanky and skinny and a little awkward in that ginormous frame, a lot like his old man. I haven't seen footage of Bol actually going up against a player anywhere near his size, or even a smaller stronger player.

I'm happy to hear counterarguments on this, but I think we can be okay without Mini Manute.
You're dumb, that's my counterargument. He's been dominating all summer long from inside and out, offensively and defensively.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Realizing he is no longer a 5 star talent, still a good get.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:
And Akot
Sorry, I meant just in the post. But yeah, Akot will be an immediate contributor at the 3. I certainly hope Randolph is around, and those two on the wing will be stellar. Then there's pg...which is also a position.

Bol didn't wow me initially, but I've been sold over time. His length is a freak advantage over anyone (sort of like a skinnier Bamba) and allows him to impact the game defensively. Offensively, yeah, he has no bulk and a weird looking J, but it goes down and he is coordinated for his size. He seems to have a knack for making things happen too. He's going to have an impact at the college level. 12-14 ppg, 8 rpg, 2 bpg as a freshman.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin wrote:Realizing he is no longer a 5 star talent, still a good get.
:lol: Exactly.

As with all things, time will tell if this was a good pick up or not.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

SCCats wrote:

I think Chase is going to be fine after a year in the program, and being around friends he went to school with in Las Vegas. Not to mention he adds to the legacy of Gorman players at AZ. wish him well
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
And Akot
Bol didn't wow me initially, but I've been sold over time. His length is a freak advantage over anyone (sort of like a skinnier Bamba) and allows him to impact the game defensively. Offensively, yeah, he has no bulk and a weird looking J, but it goes down and he is coordinated for his size. He seems to have a knack for making things happen too. He's going to have an impact at the college level. 12-14 ppg, 8 rpg, 2 bpg as a freshman.
Sounds similar to Boucher from Oregon only taller. For those of you that have seen Bol, would you compare him to Boucher, only more skilled?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

whatisee wrote:
SCCats wrote:

I think Chase is going to be fine after a year in the program, and being around friends he went to school with in Las Vegas. Not to mention he adds to the legacy of Gorman players at AZ. wish him well
I 100% wish him well. I hope he uses the year off to get things straight, whether it's his confidence or some parts of his game or both.

That said, if you had to rate his time at Duke using one of these three words (Bust, Average, Great)...

I hope he uses that red shirt year to become the impact player many think he can be for us.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

SCCats wrote:
whatisee wrote:
SCCats wrote:

I 100% wish him well. I hope he uses the year off to get things straight, whether it's his confidence or some parts of his game or both.

That said, if you had to rate his time at Duke using one of these three words (Bust, Average, Great)...

I hope he uses that red shirt year to become the impact player many think he can be for us.

I think banging around with Ayton and Dusan will do him and Ayton a world of good for next year and the year after. The other good thing is we have him the next 3 years
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He needs to add muscle, which a year off should help that cause greatly. He was in a total awful situation at Duke. I expect him to be a major contributor here to say the least.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

NYCat wrote:If it costs us Bol it'll suck, if we have no center and lose Bol anyway that'll suck even more.
If Bol ends up another Chol let him go to UK.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

VegasCatFan wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
And Akot
Sounds similar to Boucher from Oregon only taller. For those of you that have seen Bol, would you compare him to Boucher, only more skilled?
Not really. Bol is 7'2 with a 7'8 wingspan. Boucher is long, but Bol is something else.

Boucher is a better athlete, but at 7'2, Bol is very mobile for his size. Bol's jumper is bizarre looking, but he consistently has a soft touch.

It's comparing a long PF to a guy who's the longest C in any game he plays in. I used a skinnier Bamba with a J for that reason. Bol is a unicorn.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Also fwiw on Bol, going overseas is a very realistic option for him as opposed to doing college, further making adding Jeter an absolute no brainer.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:He needs to add muscle, which a year off should help that cause greatly. He was in a total awful situation at Duke. I expect him to be a major contributor here to say the least.
When he takes the floor at Arizona, he will be in his fourth year of college basketball. By that point, his physical maturity probably will have hit the max he is capable of.

I hope a side effect of the transfer is that he resets from being viewed as a 5 star into what he should be here, a solid veteran. He'll be the only post upperclassman we have at that point. We need a solid contributor, not a guy worried about the next level. If he brings a 6'10 guy with a motor, good D, rebounding and converting shots when he has the chance, we need that. He may not be our star in the post, but he can and should be a solid foundation guy.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:He needs to add muscle, which a year off should help that cause greatly. He was in a total awful situation at Duke. I expect him to be a major contributor here to say the least.
When he takes the floor at Arizona, he will be in his fourth year of college basketball. By that point, his physical maturity probably will have hit the max he is capable of.

I hope a side effect of the transfer is that he resets from being viewed as a 5 star into what he should be here, a solid veteran. He'll be the only post upperclassman we have at that point. We need a solid contributor, not a guy worried about the next level. If he brings a 6'10 guy with a motor, good D, rebounding and converting shots when he has the chance, we need that. He may not be our star in the post, but he can and should be a solid foundation guy.
He's only 19 though, so he's not quite at the physical maturity point. There's legitimately guys entering college next year that are just a month or two younger than him. I also don't know what Duke's S&C did for him or what their plan was. Here adding bulk will certainly be a focus.

I see a lot of Loren Woods in this transfer. His biggest issue was confidence at Duke, which coincidentally was Woods's issue at Wake Forest. The hook was real quick at Duke for Jeter, while at Arizona he'll legitimately have the 5 spot to himself, so that'll help his confidence and development as well.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

He's only 19 though, so he's not quite at the physical maturity point. There's legitimately guys entering college next year that are just a month or two younger than him. I also don't know what Duke's S&C did for him or what their plan was. Here adding bulk will certainly be a focus.

I see a lot of Loren Woods in this transfer. His biggest issue was confidence at Duke, which coincidentally was Woods's issue at Wake Forest. The hook was real quick at Duke for Jeter, while at Arizona he'll legitimately have the 5 spot to himself, so that'll help his confidence and development as well.
I'd be thrilled if he developed better than I think. That said, if I was talking to him, I'd be emphasizing the basic way he can contribute. He can take zero shots other than dunks or layups and still be a big contributor here.

Unless we add to Shareef and Lee, we need a longer guy and someone who can protect the rim and rebound. Neither of those things are about confidence. I'd be drilling that into Jeter. Defend, rebound and you play.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I'd be thrilled if he developed better than I think. That said, if I was talking to him, I'd be emphasizing the basic way he can contribute. He can take zero shots other than dunks or layups and still be a big contributor here.

Unless we add to Shareef and Lee, we need a longer guy and someone who can protect the rim and rebound. Neither of those things are about confidence. I'd be drilling that into Jeter. Defend, rebound and you play.
Arizona will have to add another center to its roster regardless. You can't go into a season with solely Jeter and two 6'7-6'8 guys as your post players. If you really like what you're seeing of Jeter during his year out then you can just get a JUCO, a role playing grad transfer, or even a project freshman to fill that hole. If you don't like what you see of Jeter and don't think he'll be good enough to be a 30 minute per game guy then you push for the best center prospect you can.

I get what you're saying though and if all Jeter is is a high level defender/rebounder/put back guy that's fine too. He just has the potential to be a lot more as you know and a lot of his issues including the back injury are virtually the same as Loren Woods's issues prior to coming to Arizona. This year off will be big for Jeter in numerous ways. Fingers crossed the 5 star potential is met while he's here.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llj0VNvKD2A" target="_blank

He looks a little raw, but you can see the potential. Needs to improve footwork.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Choo,

Yes, we should add another C. There was the one year we played Jesse Perry and Solomon Hill in the post, though.

I would love to add one to make a solid 4 man rotation. The gold standard would be Bagley or Bol. We've been pursuing both and I don't see any reason Jeter changes that. If one of those guys shows up, there are still minutes there, and the first guy to lose minutes would be Shareef or Lee.

If Jeter really looks good in the off year, I agree that it softens the blow of not landing a big target and lets us focus on depth. With Akot and Randolph on the wing and hopefully a top level freshman pg, we don't need the star in Bagley/Bol although it sure would be nice.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Choo,

Yes, we should add another C. There was the one year we played Jesse Perry and Solomon Hill in the post, though.

I would love to add one to make a solid 4 man rotation. The gold standard would be Bagley or Bol. We've been pursuing both and I don't see any reason Jeter changes that. If one of those guys shows up, there are still minutes there, and the first guy to lose minutes would be Shareef or Lee.

If Jeter really looks good in the off year, I agree that it softens the blow of not landing a big target and lets us focus on depth. With Akot and Randolph on the wing and hopefully a top level freshman pg, we don't need the star in Bagley/Bol although it sure would be nice.
Yeah the one year we played Perry and Hill in the post didn't work out too well for us, I'd like to avoid that at all costs as I'm sure you'd agree.

Yeah Jeter doesn't impact Bagley/Bol certainly, but in a world where you can't even guarantee either of them attend college (especially Bagley) you've gotta be prepared. Just looking into my crystal ball, but this looks like a likely lineup in 2018-19:

PG: Brandon Williams
SG: Brandon Randolph
SF: Cam Johnson/Emmanuel Akot
PF: Ira Lee/Shareef O'Neal
C: Jeter
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Beachcat97 wrote:Is Bol really all that? I know he's highly rated and a mile tall, but boy is he lanky and skinny and a little awkward in that ginormous frame, a lot like his old man. I haven't seen footage of Bol actually going up against a player anywhere near his size, or even a smaller stronger player.

Dude, all you've got to do is search 'Bagley Bol YouTube' and you can answer your own question. Life isn't that hard.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Puerco wrote:

Dude, all you've got to do is search 'Bagley Bol YouTube' and you can answer your own question. Life isn't that hard.
BC- Please do some research, or at least watch a few clips of these players before making asinine assumptions that make you look foolish in the long run. It is also much easier to ask a question like this, "Hey guys, I've seen a few clips of Bol Bol, and wasn't that impressed. Have any of you seen him in person or possibly seen other clips that you could copy a link of to show me why everyone is so high on him?"

I'm tired of everyone just bashing one another, but please for the sake of my sanity, do a little digging before posting another take like this. It drives others crazy, and then we all have to sit here and read comment after comment of people bashing one another.

I don't post too often, but I frequently visit, and I'm sure others are the same way. In order to keep threads on track and avoid being chastised, please take my constructive critisism and think first next time. You will also, usually get an answer faster by doing your own research.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Seems really efficient here. Love the title "Offensive Putbacks." Is there another kind?

Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Shareef and Bol. (Hate to see BC work for info)
Right where I want to be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Jeter looks like a good Comanche replacement plus he stays till senior year. Win win
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I can't see Jeter preventing us from getting Bol.

Coach Cal might prevent it, but Chase Jeter won't.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:I can't see Jeter preventing us from getting Bol.

His grades are much more likely to prevent Bol from ending up at Arizona than Jeter ever would.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Jefe wrote:Jeter looks like a good Comanche replacement plus he stays till senior year. Win win

I remember when we recruited them both. They were both projects , Jeter was rated much higher but I didn't understand why except Chance was skinnier coming in. I thought they were basically the same player and we were getting an underrated kid at 75 or whatever and Duke was getting an overrated kid at 15. They should have both been around 35.

Turns out Comanche had/has a little more range on his jumper and better form and Jeter has been a bit more fragile and injuries have held him back ...... however we will get Jeter for a 5th year, which would be huge for prospects that have growth potential like these two (remember Comanche was a Healthy Ray Smith away from RSing his frosh year).

It will hurt our post depth this year, but overall it's a win I expect Jeter as a 5th year Senior to be a 10 and 10 guy w 2 blocks per. I could see him thriving out here as a mature man.

Time will tell. But it's interesting how it RS come full circle.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:I can't see Jeter preventing us from getting Bol.

His grades are much more likely to prevent Bol from ending up at Arizona than Jeter ever would.
Fair point. I'm sure Miller is more in tuned to that since the Ferguson fiasco at least.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
Puerco wrote:

BC- Please do some research, or at least watch a few clips of these players before making asinine assumptions that make you look foolish in the long run. It is also much easier to ask a question like this, "Hey guys, I've seen a few clips of Bol Bol, and wasn't that impressed. Have any of you seen him in person or possibly seen other clips that you could copy a link of to show me why everyone is so high on him?"
I've seen footage of Bol. Bol dunking over guys half his size. Bol lumbering up and down the floor. Bol not really being tested.

I'll revise my first post: I think he's overrated.

By the way, I really was trying to discuss this player, after watching footage and reading about him. Not sure what you consider "research." Others feel very differently from me and expect Bol to be an impact college player, or to play overseas and skip college.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

When you say Bol isn't being tested, who's going to test him? The other 7'2 guys with 7'8 wingspans?

Yes, a large part of Bol being good is his extreme size/length. That said, LeBron and Jordan were good because they could jump really high. Bol has that same freakiness, and it will be what makes him an impact guy. The rest just needs to be good enough.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: That said, LeBron and Jordan were good because they could jump really high. Bol has that same freakiness, and it will be what makes him an impact guy. The rest just needs to be good enough.
So now we're comparing Bol to LeBron and Jordan? :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: That said, LeBron and Jordan were good because they could jump really high. Bol has that same freakiness, and it will be what makes him an impact guy. The rest just needs to be good enough.
I am, yeah. When you talk about a physical gift that sets you apart, Bol has one just as much as MJ and Bron. That does not mean he will be the player they are, but physically, he has a special quality just like them.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Beachcat97 wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:
Puerco wrote:

I've seen footage of Bol. Bol dunking over guys half his size. Bol lumbering up and down the floor. Bol not really being tested.

I'll revise my first post: I think he's overrated.

By the way, I really was trying to discuss this player, after watching footage and reading about him. Not sure what you consider "research." Others feel very differently from me and expect Bol to be an impact college player, or to play overseas and skip college.
You saw the clip of him in EYBL playing Bagley's team? If you don't like what he did in that game, then I can't really help you.

Just to make it easy for you:
Bagley's about 6'11" but you don't see many clips of him guarding Bol. Why not?
Clips of Bol dunking
Clip of Bol driving from the three pt line
Clip of Bol draining a couple threes
Clips of Bol blocking shots
Clip of Bol's team winning by almost 20
What more do you want to see?

I mean, he's no Bagley, but that clip shows him against high level competition. BTW Bagley's dad probably didn't want to make his kid look bad by fouling out defending Bol. It's good to see the team take one for the individual.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'd be fairly certain the coach didn't put Bagley on Bol because of fear that Bagley would get into foul trouble and they would lose Bagley's offensive output. That, in and of itself, says a lot about Bol. That as physically talented as Bagley is, Bol would pose problems for him.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

And well, coach is Bagley's dad...
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
I am, yeah. When you talk about a physical gift that sets you apart, Bol has one just as much as MJ and Bron. That does not mean he will be the player they are, but physically, he has a special quality just like them.
exactly. What is the kid supposed to do? Cut off his legs at the knees so the defenders are closer to his size?

The whole point is he has a set of measurables that make him nearly impossible to stop. And he has athleticism sufficient to utilize those freakish measurables.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Shareef will be training with Kevin Garnett and TMAC this summer! That's awesome for his development.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

So with Ristic, PJC, Pinder, Denny, Ayton, Trier, Alkins all graduating or leaving for the draft after next year, and along with the currently open scholarship we have 8 total scholarships to dish out to this recruiting class if we so choose. That's a lot.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I count 7. That's also assuming Alkins and Trier leave. Ayton already said he was, I can't see Trier staying or Alkins though.

2018 likely roster is :

Frosh:
O'Neal

Soph:
Akot
Randolph
Lee
Barcello

Junior:
Jeter
Dylan Smith

That's actually only 7 guys w ships left to fill since ONeal is already on board. Akot will be a soph next year. Still u gotta figure we are looking at 3-4 more high school recruits and 2-3 transfers to fill out roster next year.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

247 has Brandon Williams at 100% for AZ. #3 PG in the class, 16th overall

Alright, Alright, Alright
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Jefe wrote:247 has Brandon Williams at 100% for AZ. #3 PG in the class, 16th overall

Alright, Alright, Alright
Isn't he working through an injury? Anyone know how serious it was or is? Call me paranoid but with Ray Smith last year, I'm spending more attention on these things nowadays.