let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bangkok Wildcat

Re: let's talk '17

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Originally posted this under Rawle's thread but probably belongs here instead:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:So glad Rawle is back. Sophomore Rawle >>>>>>>>> Brian Bowen. I believe Bowen would have committed to us (but with this Dude, who the heck knows).

However, it now looks to me that we may have dodged a bullet as Bowen's super late decision reeks of "must have certain amount of guaranteed playing time" and / or "must be 'The Man'"....which no TEAM wants any part of.

If Bowen is as good as he is rated, why does he appear to be so scared to fight for playing time? Obviously I'm making assumptions here but I think they are fair assumptions at this point.
Bangkok Wildcat

ChooChooCat wrote:
A1RZONA wrote:plus we are maxed out on scholly's no?
I think he was implying to recruit the kid and drop PJC, which isn't happening. For better or for worse Miller is committed to PJC being his guy.
With all due respect, I can't imagine anyone implying we'd drop a 3 year scholly player under any circumstances and dropping PJC would be suicidal IMO (i.e. Kill our reputation in the AAU circuit, etc).

If we were to drop someone's scholarship (which would suck but sometimes necessary these days), we could drop Talbot Denny's and let him walk on for his 6th year.

We promised him one year, he got hurt, got his free 1 year already so, as crappy as having to drop him might look, I don't think dropping him would be unreasonable in this day and age.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

What did intrigue me about Akot was his size, and that Miller mentioned he possibly could be a point guard in the nba...so he'll be giving that a shot here I'm sure, maybe he'll be a sleeper great point who knows. Otherwise, not bad he'll be out on the wings with Jeter next year.
Bangkok Wildcat

TheGreatCatsby wrote:What did intrigue me about Akot was his size, and that Miller mentioned he possibly could be a point guard in the nba...so he'll be giving that a shot here I'm sure, maybe he'll be a sleeper great point who knows. Otherwise, not bad he'll be out on the wings with Jeter next year.
Sorry for all the posting today but am so pumped with recent developments!

Also for CSM making that comment re: Akot, agree with you Catsby, that blew me away especially considering his size. Also considering CSM doesn't usually throw out meaningless comments so there must really be something there.

I'm from the time of Luke Walton - Point Forward and that is a great option to have :-). With rg's analysis along with PennZona's comments, I'm really intrigued about Akot now. Can't wait to see this kid in action.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This is really more an arch rivals topic at this point, but wtf is happening with Bowen? He seems determined to be the last '17 recruit on the board. Oregon, Texas, Creighton...it's not as though he doesn't have good options.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Beachcat97 wrote:This is really more an arch rivals topic at this point, but wtf is happening with Bowen? He seems determined to be the last '17 recruit on the board. Oregon, Texas, Creighton...it's not as though he doesn't have good options.
When did TX become a player in his recruitment? Just recently? Wasn't it pretty much AZ, MSU, and Creighton for most of the year? TX basically got Bamba because he chose not to be part of the UK log-jam. So, does TX land Bowen because he has nowhere else to go in terms of demanding huge playing time?
gumby

Post by gumby »

He is adding schools: DePaul and Oregon also in the mix.
Right where I want to be.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I think it's quite obvious Bowen's heart said Arizona (albeit not overwhelmingly) but his head said go somewhere where u can show out.

I think he really thought one of Trier and / or Alkins was leaving and just planned on waiting it out then going to UA.

Now that that is off the table he's back to square 1 and probably doesn't know where to go.

If I had to guess I'd guess Creighton but no clue.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:I think it's quite obvious Bowen's heart said Arizona (albeit not overwhelmingly) but his head said go somewhere where u can show out.

I think he really thought one of Trier and / or Alkins was leaving and just planned on waiting it out then going to UA.

Now that that is off the table he's back to square 1 and probably doesn't know where to go.

Bowen was coming to Arizona as long as Trier was moving on. Trier stayed so Bowen obviously started looking elsewhere.

Who knows where he goes at this point? Creighton? Texas? Oregon? I think it's one of those 3, but have no idea which one.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:I think it's quite obvious Bowen's heart said Arizona (albeit not overwhelmingly) but his head said go somewhere where u can show out.

Most of us thought it was likely one of Trier and Rawle was leaving too. Can't blame Bowen, and I agree it's pretty clear he was Arizona first.
Bangkok Wildcat

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Most of us thought it was likely one of Trier and Rawle was leaving too. Can't blame Bowen, and I agree it's pretty clear he was Arizona first.
Sounds very possible to me....BUT if so, then this shows a major character flaw IMO. If he's so good, then why be scared to fight for playing time? He obviously was scared of both Trier and Alkins (fine as they are undoubtedly better than him) BUT with the way CSM wants to play position-less basketball as much as possible, he didn't think he was good enough to earn decent minutes from anyone else?

In that case, I'm glad he didn't come....maybe he isn't a real team player and feels like he is locked into being a OND and worried about showing off / interviewing for the NBA Scouts. We don't need that.....even if a kid feels he is a OND, we need players who put the team first. Speculation on my part but seems probable.

One thing I respect about Kobi is his transparency....he obviously was a OND but when his defensive lapses and Zo's return cost him minutes, he didn't pout but appeared to be still bought into the team concept....most clearly evident vs UCLA and the famous one second timeout :-)
prh

Post by prh »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Sounds very possible to me....BUT if so, then this shows a major character flaw IMO. If he's so good, then why be scared to fight for playing time? He obviously was scared of both Trier and Alkins (fine as they are undoubtedly better than him) BUT with the way CSM wants to play position-less basketball as much as possible, he didn't think he was good enough to earn decent minutes from anyone else?

In that case, I'm glad he didn't come....maybe he isn't a real team player and feels like he is locked into being a OND and worried about showing off / interviewing for the NBA Scouts. We don't need that.....even if a kid feels he is a OND, we need players who put the team first. Speculation on my part but seems probable.

One thing I respect about Kobi is his transparency....he obviously was a OND but when his defensive lapses and Zo's return cost him minutes, he didn't pout but appeared to be still bought into the team concept....most clearly evident vs UCLA and the famous one second timeout :-)
We gotta remember that to these guys, there's no reason for them to go somewhere that's crowded. Their goal is to make it to the NBA, not to eek out 10 mpg from an established player. It's just like any job hunting, we wouldn't take a job where we have to fight to beat co-workers instead of one where we can excel from the beginning.
Last edited by prh on Sun May 28, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Yeah I'm ok w his decision making process. It was probably smart to be honest. I'd have done the same thing if I was him (and didn't bleed UA basketball like I'm sure he doesn't).

Unless you know ur a good fit at a major program and jump early signing period, I don't understand why any undecided top 25 kid wouldn't wait until the EE deadline passes to see how team rosters shake out. It's smart.
Bangkok Wildcat

I respectfully disagree a bit with you prh and PennZona on this. I think Bowen overdid it by far. In Bowen's case, it shows me he is desperate to jump to the NBA ASAP as a OND. Otherwise, he could have committed to MSU or UA by now and be playing / developing under 2 great Coaches & Programs.

He appears to me to be scared off by the 'established' players and wanting / needing guaranteed time / spotlight to showcase his skills and jump to the NBA ASAP. That could lead to 'hero' Ball IMHO.

Nobody knows when an injury (i.e. Arizona was wide open with time last year) is going to open up more time for the players. IF Bowen is so good, why would it be bad or less advantageous to be going up against Rawle and Alonzo in practice? (assuming they are better than him, most likely) and fighting / practicing against Randolph as well?

What about the Coaching, Strength Program, etc. that Arizona has to offer? God Forbid, all goes well and there is no injury so he comes off the bench for a national title contender? I still think he would do very well, maybe even better as he wouldn't have the pressure of having to be 'the Man' as a Freshman.

What would be so awful about having to come back for his Sophomore year in case he didn't get the national exposure of a starter and/or he couldn't impress enough during the NBA Tryouts, etc?

I'd agree that committing to early is bad but waiting until the last minute isn't the great option that some make it out to be IMHO and CERTAINLY isn't in the best interest of the Program. There's got to be a sweet spot for most somewhere in the middle.

Just my opinion....I admit I'm biased towards the Arizona Program BUT I do want our players to come out being the best developed possible to enable them successful Pro careers. Bowen is either really indecisive OR could be a selfish player IMHO.

PS Edit: also, if Bowen is as good as advertised, I find it really hard to believe that he still couldn't get significant minutes coming off the bench......anyone remember Gilbert Arenas coming in with literally no fanfare / offers and blowing everyone away with his ability?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I dont blame Bowen at all. I wouldnt want to come in and at best, be the fifth scoring option when I have one year of college.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Bowen wanted to start, I understand, it's no big deal. The only thing he did wrong was say "I plan to commit by this date and then this date and no wait this date." Just say you're going to commit when you're ready. Outside of that though he handled his recruitment just fine. Whether he's all about competing or not there's no way Sean Miller would start him over Rawle/Zo regardless, so it's hard to blame him either way.
Bangkok Wildcat

rgdeuce wrote:I dont blame Bowen at all. I wouldnt want to come in and at best, be the fifth scoring option when I have one year of college.
So, if you are correct rg, you are confirming to me his likely mindset 'OND, offense only and he'd be only fifth best'.

I want players coming in who want to develop the best way possible, play defense, and willing to buy into the team concept by playing with the best and fighting / earning their playing time. Looks like a mutual win for us both here with Bowen not willing to do this.

Do most players really base their decision on what number scoring option they would be? Or just the ONDs?

Also, do you think he will develop better at a Creighton vs MSU or Arizona?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:I dont blame Bowen at all. I wouldnt want to come in and at best, be the fifth scoring option when I have one year of college.
So, if you are correct rg, you are confirming to me his likely mindset 'OND, offense only and he'd be only fifth best'.

I want players coming in who want to develop the best way possible, play defense, and willing to buy into the team concept by playing with the best and fighting / earning their playing time. Looks like a mutual win for us both here with Bowen not willing to do this.

Do most players really base their decision on what number scoring option they would be? Or just the ONDs?

If that's the sort of player you want, you may not like PJC, Alkins, Trier, Ayton, Lauri, Comanche, Dusan and pretty much every player I can think of recently on our team and most others. Shoot, Jeter came here after bailing on Duke demanding D and that he fight for minutes.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

That may be the case. Im not disagreeing with you because i want the same. There is a such thing as too crowded and in this case, the situation is exactly that. This wasnt a perfect fit and neither party loses
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

The butt-hurt is strong with this one...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Bangkok Wildcat

Puerco wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

The butt-hurt is strong with this one...
Talking from your own experience Puerco ;-)....not butt-hurt at all and if I was, I would freely admit it :-)

As it turns out, with Akot's commitment then unexpected re-classification (no where was this alluded to as any possibility for Bowen's hesitation), we don't have any more scholarships for wings and are loaded at that position....I'm just calling them as I see them and questioning Bowen's seemingly lack of desire to fight for PT....if you call that butt-hurt, then under that definition I'm seriously butt-hurt!

Why else would he have also apparently spurned MSU, us (pre-Akot) and others?....or do you prefer to cater to the ONDs who demand a certain amount of PT before committing? I prefer having players confident in their abilities (you'd think a 5*, OND would be), willing to join a TEAM, learn under a great Coaching Staff and be part of a contender vs a need to join a team that has a hole in their position and be 'the Man' to showcase for the NBA.

Obviously I'm making assumptions here but this is my educated guess from what I've followed so far and I enjoy the conversation around it and our incoming class.....all of which seem to be unlike Bowen IMHO.

PS Edit: extremely happy with how this ultimately turned out....maybe Frosh Akot isn't as good as a Frosh Bowen BUT if that means Akot sticks around for an extra year, then it will definitely be a better win for us. I also want kids who want to be Wildcats....and not choosing us because they've run out of better options.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I'm just wondering why you're spending so much time criticizing the motives of 18-19 year old young men, particularly the ones who are not on the UA roster. Bowen never rejected the UA -- he simply took so long to decide that his window of opportunity closed. Perhaps he is simply looking for the best opportunity to showcase his talents in order to maximize his chances of making the NBA with as many years of salary-earning potential as possible? Would that be such a horrible thing? Certainly you realize that every year he spends in college is one year where he will not be making a salary in the NBA, and when the average NBA career lasts 5 years every one becomes precious.

So no, as a fan I prefer not to cater to the OND's who are only around to showcase themselves at the expense of the team. However, I do not blame the guys if that consideration is part of their decision on which university to attend, and if the UA shuts down the offer then there is certainly no reason to hound a guy afterwards.

Unless you're overly butthurt...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I think Bowen was an extreme case of a player trying ever so hard to make the perfect fit for himself. He could control one part of the equation...his own commitment...but the shifting sand under the entire process led to a bunch of things happening that he could not control that left him with no chair to sit in...at least not one in this game of musical chairs.

He may have gotten too cute, looking for a wide open door to his position. But his attempt was no different than most top tier recruits. The Rawle return/Trier return/Akot reclassification mixed with a rather stunning return by Miles Bridges at MSU left him with only a clear chair at the one program in the final 3 that he may have been entertaining out of respect for the program and coaching staff rather than desire to actually go there.

All it means for a talent like Bowen is he has to come off his final 3 and entertain other very good schools. I wouldn't blame him for anything, really, other than maybe being too cute, limiting his choices to two schools that always had the possibility of being full at the wing and a school he really didn't want, and waiting until every last possible thing had shaken down before making his move (who knows? If he pulls the trigger, he may have kept something from happening...Akot maybe doesn't reclassify, or maybe Rawle doesn't come back (unlikely)). Bowen painted himself into a corner with the schools he chose and his waiting for all moves to happen before committing. He didn't really have a safety school, it doesn't appear (unless he ends up at Creighton). But, again, he will be fine. Plenty of good programs need a McDs AA wing.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Here was the original plan from Arizona and Bowen's point of view:

Zo was going to go. It was clear from the get go, but the suspension changed things. Bowen was Arizona bound and was going to announce it, but then doubt of Zo departing started to creep in until it became apparent, before the NCAA tourney even started, that Zo was going to return. Bowen wanted to be the offense that losing Zo would provide, which is why once it became apparent Zo was returning that Bowen to Arizona was never going to happen regardless of whatever Rawle decided.

As mentioned previously in this thread he wants the most clear cut way to being a big offensive weapon from day 1 and getting to the league ASAP. Arizona was going to provide that until it obviously couldn't. Good luck to the kid as he did absolutely nothing wrong. Arizona was honest to him every step of the way and he was honest with Arizona every step of the way as well. It's time for whatever fans that still hold it against him to bury the hatchet.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

ChooChooCat wrote:Here was the original plan from Arizona and Bowen's point of view:

Zo was going to go. It was clear from the get go, but the suspension changed things. Bowen was Arizona bound and was going to announce it, but then doubt of Zo departing started to creep in until it became apparent, before the NCAA tourney even started, that Zo was going to return. Bowen wanted to be the offense that losing Zo would provide, which is why once it became apparent Zo was returning that Bowen to Arizona was never going to happen regardless of whatever Rawle decided.

As mentioned previously in this thread he wants the most clear cut way to being a big offensive weapon from day 1 and getting to the league ASAP. Arizona was going to provide that until it obviously couldn't. Good luck to the kid as he did absolutely nothing wrong. Arizona was honest to him every step of the way and he was honest with Arizona every step of the way as well. It's time for whatever fans that still hold it against him to bury the hatchet.
Really good take. We definitely should be rooting for the kid to succeed elsewhere (personally), we are good with Zo coming back.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

yeah...there's no reason to hate on a kid for making an informed choice of school based on his plans. It is silly to hate on a kid for doing exactly what the rules allow. It isn't like he committed then de-committed (not that doing so is horrible).

It's his business if he wants to drive around the parking lot waiting for a spot closer to the building. How that becomes anyone else's issue is beyond me.
gumby

Post by gumby »

If he doesn't come here, he should give up basketball.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ChooChooCat wrote:It's time for whatever fans that still hold it against him to bury the hatchet.
How bout we buy you guys a round a beers, just to bury the hatchet.

Make it four Boilermakers.

Whatever you want. I'll have the waitress bring it over immediately.
Last edited by dcZONAfan on Tue May 30, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:It's time for whatever fans that still hold it against him to bury the hatchet.

Whatever you want. I'll have the waitress bring it out immediately.
My man!
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

I fucked it up! The waitress brings it over not out. I'm embarrassed, frankly
Bangkok Wildcat

Good takes on the situation EV and Choo. Thanks.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:

Where'd you get that idea, Lloyd?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

Where'd you get that idea, Lloyd?
Haha YES
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Bowen rumored to have enrolled in Summer classes at Louisville. Plans to announce decision at 4pm EST on Saturday
prh

Post by prh »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:Bowen rumored to have enrolled in Summer classes at Louisville. Plans to announce decision at 4pm EST on Saturday
There is a Brian Bowen in their directory, although no info other than school email.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

L'ville? Seriously? After all that?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Five-star forward Brian Bowen showcases what's wrong with recruiting scene :roll:

Now, Bowen has virtually reopened his recruitment even though the late signing period has come and gone.

As the last five-star recruit on the market, Bowen has teams flocking to gain his services.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... 4wdnsxebqf" target="_blank
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

HiCat wrote:Five-star forward Brian Bowen showcases what's wrong with recruiting scene :roll:

Now, Bowen has virtually reopened his recruitment even though the late signing period has come and gone.

As the last five-star recruit on the market, Bowen has teams flocking to gain his services.

Fuck these one and done prima donnas, and fuck the NBA. They're ruining college basketball. "Showcases what's wrong with the recruiting scene"? How about "what's wrong with the whole scene"?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:Five-star forward Brian Bowen showcases what's wrong with recruiting scene :roll:

Funny, I just feel bad for Bowen. It seems glaringly obvious what actually happened, and because Zo unexpectedly returned, he has to find a Plan B very late in the game.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Funny, I just feel bad for Bowen. It seems glaringly obvious what actually happened, and because Zo unexpectedly returned, he has to find a Plan B very late in the game.
Spliff, he's had numerous Plan Bs dangled in front of him (Oregon, Texas, DePaul, et al), but this guy seems very, very difficult to please and probably enjoys being the last big fish out there. If he were serious about getting this wrapped up, he could've done so weeks ago.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

That moment when you log in and the only new comment is from BC97 just speculating out of his ass as usual..... Sigh
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Adam Silver now wants to change the "age 19" rule. Says it's not working for anyone. (duh). Wants to raise the minimum age to 20. The Player's Association objects. Look for Silver to prevail. Certainly a step in the right direction, however, I still say, fuck the NBA.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

MrMeow wrote:Adam Silver now wants to change the "age 19" rule. Says it's not working for anyone. (duh). Wants to raise the minimum age to 20. The Player's Association objects. Look for Silver to prevail. Certainly a step in the right direction, however, I still say, fuck the NBA.
Players Association doesn't care except they'll want something in return.

Silver has always wanted 20. Stern did too.

But the League needed a viable prep-to-pro developmental system/League in place for those who aren't cut out for 2-years school, but can't get drafted for 2 years after graduation.

NBDL is getting there.

And Foreign markets have stepped up as well.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Funny, I just feel bad for Bowen. It seems glaringly obvious what actually happened, and because Zo unexpectedly returned, he has to find a Plan B very late in the game.
Spliff, he's had numerous Plan Bs dangled in front of him (Oregon, Texas, DePaul, et al), but this guy seems very, very difficult to please and probably enjoys being the last big fish out there. If he were serious about getting this wrapped up, he could've done so weeks ago.
Difficult to please? He's a top 15 recruit that wants a chance to start and get a lot of shots.

Here's how I see it. He thought only one of Zo/Rawle/Kobi would be back and focused on Arizona. This is not insane, as there were plenty of people on this board (I would even put you in this camp) that assumed we were only getting one of those guys back.

Then, we got surprised by two guys, and didn't have a starting spot available. Bowen wants to start, which is not odd or unique for a top 15 guy. He wasn't hot enough on Creighton and decided to see who was out there post declaration deadline.

None of that is bizarre or makes him hard to please.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

JMarkJohns wrote:
MrMeow wrote:Adam Silver now wants to change the "age 19" rule. Says it's not working for anyone. (duh). Wants to raise the minimum age to 20. The Player's Association objects. Look for Silver to prevail. Certainly a step in the right direction, however, I still say, fuck the NBA.

But the League needed a viable prep-to-pro developmental system/League in place for those who aren't cut out for 2-years school, but can't get drafted for 2 years after graduation.

NBDL is getting there.

I sure hope they get there, because meanwhile college basketball remains the NBA's bitch, and suffers like all bitches do.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:

NBDL is getting there.

The NBA always talks about raising the minimum. It is in the best interests of the owners and management to get more time for free development and scouting.

We'll see what happens. The push/pull is a constant on that issue, and the stronger the NBDL is, the less incentive the owners and league have to really care about an age minimum.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Heigh Ho, Silver!

Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please Please please.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Either let em of HS or two year minimum. That's gotta be the compromise that's coming.

We won't get the Aytons of the world but Lauri would have been here 2 years.

It's the Stanley Johnsons of the world that will be 50/50.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I still want an option of going straight out of HS or 3 year minimum like baseball and football. But it'd take HS or 2 years.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.