ChooChooCat wrote:Primary targets at the moment:

Shareef O'Neal (commit)
Brandon Williams (commit)
Marvin Bagley
Taeshon Cherry
Gerald Liddell
Quentin Grimes
Bol Bol
Nice list Choo, thanks! Care to add any probabilities to these names as well? I'm greedy ;-)

Thanks in advance, Bear Down.
Marvin Bagley - Arizona, UCLA, Kentucky, Overseas. Overseas is ahead of the pack by a wide margin at the moment. I think shoe companies will have a major impact on what his ultimate decision is.
Taeshon Cherry - Arizona, Oregon, USC, maybe A&M. Not sure on this one, he'd be a back up year one if Akot returns, which is likely IMO. Arizona was the first on him and he's real right with both O'Neal and Williams and loves Romar. I think we have the most working for us in this one, but it'll come down to his priority. Oregon probably has a starting spot available and he's tight with Miles Norris. We'll see.
Gerald Liddell - Born in Tucson and loves U of A. I think Arizona slowplays him a bit and sees how the Cherry recruitment evolves. I think if Arizona pushes for him we get him.
Quentin Grimes - He's from Texas. I never feel good about Texas kids unless they have ties to Arizona like Liddell. Uphill battle for sure, my money is on Kansas.
Bol Bol - Arizona, Kentucky, Overseas. Arizona in a good spot, but I have no idea if he can even get into college or if he prefers overseas or not.

It's still way early, no need to fret on any of this.
Bringing this up as things look to have changed from a few weeks ago......I noticed at the time that Quinnerly wasn't on your list but didn't bring it up:

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruitin ... oint-guard

With some rumors that Cherry isn't looking good for us, any thoughts or probabilities on Jahvon Quinnerly? Interesting quote from the article:

"... Quinerly doesn’t have any more visits lined up yet, though he said he’s working on it.

I’ve heard Miller is pushing hard to get a commitment from the five-star guard before any more visits occur.

Since Quinerly’s visit to Tucson, six Crystal Ball predictions project he’ll join the Arizona Wildcats......"
Wow. Great early morning news. 8-)
Spaceman Spiff

Re: let's talk '18

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Primary targets at the moment:

Shareef O'Neal (commit)
Brandon Williams (commit)
Marvin Bagley
Taeshon Cherry
Gerald Liddell
Quentin Grimes
Bol Bol
Nice list Choo, thanks! Care to add any probabilities to these names as well? I'm greedy ;-)

Thanks in advance, Bear Down.
Marvin Bagley - Arizona, UCLA, Kentucky, Overseas. Overseas is ahead of the pack by a wide margin at the moment. I think shoe companies will have a major impact on what his ultimate decision is.
Taeshon Cherry - Arizona, Oregon, USC, maybe A&M. Not sure on this one, he'd be a back up year one if Akot returns, which is likely IMO. Arizona was the first on him and he's real right with both O'Neal and Williams and loves Romar. I think we have the most working for us in this one, but it'll come down to his priority. Oregon probably has a starting spot available and he's tight with Miles Norris. We'll see.
Gerald Liddell - Born in Tucson and loves U of A. I think Arizona slowplays him a bit and sees how the Cherry recruitment evolves. I think if Arizona pushes for him we get him.
Quentin Grimes - He's from Texas. I never feel good about Texas kids unless they have ties to Arizona like Liddell. Uphill battle for sure, my money is on Kansas.
Bol Bol - Arizona, Kentucky, Overseas. Arizona in a good spot, but I have no idea if he can even get into college or if he prefers overseas or not.

It's still way early, no need to fret on any of this.
Bringing this up as things look to have changed from a few weeks ago......I noticed at the time that Quinnerly wasn't on your list but didn't bring it up:

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruitin ... oint-guard

With some rumors that Cherry isn't looking good for us, any thoughts or probabilities on Jahvon Quinnerly? Interesting quote from the article:

"... Quinerly doesn’t have any more visits lined up yet, though he said he’s working on it.

I’ve heard Miller is pushing hard to get a commitment from the five-star guard before any more visits occur.

Since Quinerly’s visit to Tucson, six Crystal Ball predictions project he’ll join the Arizona Wildcats......"
I could get down with two 5 star PG's in one class. There's no reason they couldn't play together, and they both can play.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

do we have Romar to thank for this? Its getting filthy...

damn, its a mini Derrick Rose without the hops

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Has there been a recent team (ie: last decade or so) other than UK (maybe Duke?) who's had two 5-star PGs in the same class?
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Jefe wrote:do we have Romar to thank for this? Its getting filthy...

Speedy finisher. Passing.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jahvon-quinerly" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

11/25/98

Born a year later than my son (Class of 2015). Must've been held back at some point.
Right where I want to be.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Hey 97, Choo, anyone with knowledge of recruiting.....thoughts on Quinnerly please? Or is your silence meaning that this is something not to pay too much attention to now?

Thanks! I echo the others who are drooling at the prospect of having a loaded backcourt.

Someone on TOS mentioned that the UNC site had people complaining about how CSM over-recruits kids at AZ in reference to Quinnerly. They mentioned Barcello then Williams as an example.

My retort would be, hell no! After years of struggling with subpar PG play, a 4 star, 4 year Barcello (who I believe is more of a SG/PG hybrid, correct me if I'm wrong please) then Williams a 5 star PG isn't a good example of over-recruiting what has been an area of serious weakness for us as of late.

I would assume that Williams is a possible OND and seeing as how another injury to him could derail us AND/OR a deadly backcourt of sharing between Williams and Quinnerly isn't solid evidence that CSM is somehow deceiving recruits.....if anything, I suspect that CSM has learnt from his mistake of either being pressured by PJC's Father not to recruit over PJC and/or missing out on PG targets.

Thoughts?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Hey 97, Choo, anyone with knowledge of recruiting.....thoughts on Quinnerly please? Or is your silence meaning that this is something not to pay too much attention to now?

Thanks! I echo the others who are drooling at the prospect of having a loaded backcourt.

Someone on TOS mentioned that the UNC site had people complaining about how CSM over-recruits kids at AZ in reference to Quinnerly. They mentioned Barcello then Williams as an example.

My retort would be, hell no! After years of struggling with subpar PG play, a 4 star, 4 year Barcello (who I believe is more of a SG/PG hybrid, correct me if I'm wrong please) then Williams a 5 star PG isn't a good example of over-recruiting what has been an area of serious weakness for us as of late.

I would assume that Williams is a possible OND and seeing as how another injury to him could derail us AND/OR a deadly backcourt of sharing between Williams and Quinnerly isn't solid evidence that CSM is somehow deceiving recruits.....if anything, I suspect that CSM has learnt from his mistake of either being pressured by PJC's Father not to recruit over PJC and/or missing out on PG targets.

Thoughts?
I just don't see how Barcello would assume that he is going to receive a spot protected from future recruits. He is a 4 year rotation guy at this level. Williams and Quinerly are both potential one year players.

I'm not sure either Williams or Quinerly would be here in 2019. I've said before that I think it's reasonable that Barcello only really contributes as an upperclassman. By that point, our rotation is going to look a lot different.

Barcello just isn't the sort of recruit you carve a place for as opposed to letting him find his own way. If he isn't ok with that, he needs to go to a midmajor, bc guys rated like he is really only get catered to at a midmajor level.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

Thoughts?
Nothing to add but what you write rings true.
Bangkok Wildcat

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Hey 97, Choo, anyone with knowledge of recruiting.....thoughts on Quinnerly please? Or is your silence meaning that this is something not to pay too much attention to now?

Thoughts?
I just don't see how Barcello would assume that he is going to receive a spot protected from future recruits. He is a 4 year rotation guy at this level. Williams and Quinerly are both potential one year players.

I'm not sure either Williams or Quinerly would be here in 2019. I've said before that I think it's reasonable that Barcello only really contributes as an upperclassman. By that point, our rotation is going to look a lot different.

Barcello just isn't the sort of recruit you carve a place for as opposed to letting him find his own way. If he isn't ok with that, he needs to go to a midmajor, bc guys rated like he is really only get catered to at a midmajor level.
Thanks Spaceman (btw, what's the backstory on your moniker?) and Longhorned.

1. Yeah, no way I expect Barcello to seriously contribute until he's an upperclassmen (although would love to be proven wrong ;-) ).

2. Knowing what we know now, I would also put PJC there as well (injury-prone, didn't grow any further) as a 4 year contributor that ideally would have been behind TJ or another Arizona starter caliber PG for another 2 or 3 years.....again, would love for him to prove me wrong this year but even if he stays healthy and continues to improve or maintain his shooting %, his lack of height makes him a defensive liability for a starter IMO.

3. Man, am really hoping we convince another PG stud to fill-in the backcourt for 2018 :-)
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
My bigger question would be why anyone is screwing around with an arm blasting workout if you're training for sports? Curls have exactly zero effect on athletic performance.
Worst case, you need biceps strength as a balance to your triceps, just like it is important to have a strong back to go with your barrel chest. You risk injury without that balance, and it is important for the health of the elbow too.
I'm probably dogmatic bc I do a fair amount of programming as a hobby, but for an athlete, I would never be programming a single joint movement for arms. Pullups with palms in will give plenty of biceps strength for athletic purposes while involving back and stability.

Like I said, I'm probably dogmatic, but I'd be going with pullups and close/neutral grip bench all day for an athlete. Curls and pressdowns are inefficient in terms of developing the muscles that will benefit an athlete.
You aren't dogmatic, you are 100% correct. Compound lifts/exercises such as the ones you suggested are more efficient. I'd only be throwing in the "curl days" every so often to keep the muscles guessing.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I could get down with two 5 star PG's in one class. There's no reason they couldn't play together, and they both can play.
Both have wingspans that are in the neighborhood of 6'6".
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bangkok,

I agree on Barcello. Production as a freshman/sophomore would be a nice benefit, but I'm not counting on it. His athleticism is pretty regular, so the remainder of his game needs to be on point. Adjusting from HS to college, I just think that will take a bit. I'd also love to be wrong.

Miller's overestimation of PJC is the biggest whiff lately. See, I think PJC is a decent rotation guy, but he has had to be the man at PG, and he just struggles.

I tend to think it is easier to play multiple PG's than without one. See UConn with Napier/Boatwright or Nova when they started 4 guards in Lowry/Ray/Foye/Nardi.

Bottom line, between Barcello's growth curve and how good Quinerly/Williams are, if Barcello has an issue, it will be his impatience for PT. It won't be that he is a legit threat for big minutes as a soph that has to sit due to Williams and Quinerly.

Spaceman Spiff is an alter ego of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes. I was huge C+H fan as a kid. I used to be Pooh Man, but I figured new board, new me when the migration happened.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Jefe wrote:do we have Romar to thank for this? Its getting filthy...

Lotta passing in that clip. :)
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
My bigger question would be why anyone is screwing around with an arm blasting workout if you're training for sports? Curls have exactly zero effect on athletic performance.
Worst case, you need biceps strength as a balance to your triceps, just like it is important to have a strong back to go with your barrel chest. You risk injury without that balance, and it is important for the health of the elbow too.
I'm probably dogmatic bc I do a fair amount of programming as a hobby, but for an athlete, I would never be programming a single joint movement for arms. Pullups with palms in will give plenty of biceps strength for athletic purposes while involving back and stability.

Like I said, I'm probably dogmatic, but I'd be going with pullups and close/neutral grip bench all day for an athlete. Curls and pressdowns are inefficient in terms of developing the muscles that will benefit an athlete.
You aren't dogmatic, you are 100% correct. Compound lifts/exercises such as the ones you suggested are more efficient. I'd only be throwing in the "curl days" every so often to keep the muscles guessing.
Especially for athletes. Bodybuilders may want to do curls and blast arms. An athlete needs his biceps strong enough to pull something to his body and prevent a muscular imbalance. There is no size requirement and as long as you hit that minimum strength, the extra is extra.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

One of my college coaches (young) used to always walk up to me and say, "Curls are for the girls" whenever he saw me doing them during our team weight room nights. After hearing that about 4 or 5 times, I responded, "Well p*ssy makes me pitch better." Never heard it from him again. :lol:
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Thoughts?

Thanks Spaceman (btw, what's the backstory on your moniker?) and Longhorned.

1. Yeah, no way I expect Barcello to seriously contribute until he's an upperclassmen (although would love to be proven wrong ;-) ).

2. Knowing what we know now, I would also put PJC there as well (injury-prone, didn't grow any further) as a 4 year contributor that ideally would have been behind TJ or another Arizona starter caliber PG for another 2 or 3 years.....again, would love for him to prove me wrong this year but even if he stays healthy and continues to improve or maintain his shooting %, his lack of height makes him a defensive liability for a starter IMO.

3. Man, am really hoping we convince another PG stud to fill-in the backcourt for 2018 :-)

I'd argue Williams isn't a OAD. Although if he has a good injury free year I could see it just because of injury history. He's a below the rim Skinny pg and the NBA doesn't covet those type like they do John Wall, Russ, kyrie, ball, etc.

Then again Chris Paul wasn't an above the rim PG and he was a two year player I believe. But CP3 is one of the smartest pg ever. I do think Quinnerly could easily be OAD however.

B-Will is a lot like Trier (projection wise) in that he will likely be here 1-3 years imo.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

In terms of Williams as a potential one and done, I'd see him more in the Tyus Jones mold. The guy who goes later in the 1st if he has a really good year.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Bangkok Wildcat

So Taeshon Cherry to USC is official per his Twitter a few hours ago. Thanks for the heads up on this Choo and Airzona.

Next?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Thoughts?
I mean we're seriously in it for Quinerly and think we can land him, but it just depends on when he wants to shut things down. The longer this goes on the more likely he stays on the east coast IMO and Arizona will have to move on to the next guy. So we're in wait and see mode IMO.

I mean Barcello is a 4 year guy and the staff has sold him predominantly on being a spark off the bench at the 2 who will get time at the 1 when it makes sense. I mean you can be upset that Miller "overrecruited" Barcello, but you're just wasting every one's time lol.

I don't see Williams as a one and done. Quinerly is more likely at this point to be a OND, but that has a lot to do with Williams injury.

Miller is learning and adjusting, good for him.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Choo,

What are your thoughts on Bryan Penn-Johnson? Pretty intrigued by that length. How interested is Zona and how high up the food chain is his recruitment going to go? Seems like the type of player Coach Cal would covet.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RaisingArizona wrote:Choo,

What are your thoughts on Bryan Penn-Johnson? Pretty intrigued by that length. How interested is Zona and how high up the food chain is his recruitment going to go? Seems like the type of player Coach Cal would covet.
I'd be very interested in him. Bol and Bagley are the top prospects, but you're dead right that Penn Johnson's physical attributes are very interesting.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is adding another guard to the '18 class more a luxury or a necessity?

In 2018-19, we'll (likely) have DS, BR, AB, and BW. I suppose it's hard to answer this question until we know what we have with the first three on this list?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Is adding another guard to the '18 class more a luxury or a necessity?

In 2018-19, we'll (likely) have DS, BR, AB, and BW. I suppose it's hard to answer this question until we know what we have with the first three on this list?
If Akot is back, Quinerly would be great. Barcello is a spot player probably. I have never really been blown away by Smith.

That would give us Akot, Randolph, Williams and Quinerly as our major minutes guys with Barcello and Smith seeing spot duty. For 3 perimeter spots, that's pretty close to ideal.

We would be short a player unless Barcello or Smith are bigger contributors than I think they'd be.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
We would be short a player unless Barcello or Smith are bigger contributors than I think they'd be.
Wouldn't it be nice if one of our lesser heralded players turned out to make a significant impact? Seems like that hasn't happened too often lately.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Well we don't get "lesser hearalded guys as much" but it's been awhile since D-Will and Fogg for sure.

And I know what u mean w PJC, Sidiki, Chance, Simon (he was fairly heralded but raw) etc.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

PennZona20 wrote:Well we don't get "lesser hearalded guys as much" but it's been awhile since D-Will and Fogg for sure.

And I know what u mean w PJC, Sidiki, Chance, Simon (he was fairly heralded but raw) etc.

I guess u could call Dusan a success story. He was in the 60-100 range if memory serves.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:Well we don't get "lesser hearalded guys as much" but it's been awhile since D-Will and Fogg for sure.

Chance was on a decent track. Was.

We don't have a lot of sub 50 players.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if one of our lesser heralded players turned out to make a significant impact? Seems like that hasn't happened too often lately.
You mean a guy like TJMC?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RaisingArizona wrote:Choo,

Sorry man, I was in Mexico for a week and the interwebs weren't my priority.

I don't think Arizona has officially offered Penn-Johnson contrary to some reports. Kid has an uber high ceiling, but I'm not sure what type of player he is outside of a guy with fantastic size and length. Knowing that Arizona believes it will land one of Bagley/Bol I think the priority is there and if Arizona does strike out with both maybe it'll kick tires on Penn-Johnson, but I think a grad transfer at the center position is more likely. Every thing as always this early is TBD though of course.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

No need to apologize, Choo. Appreciate all the info that you provide. Hope
That you had a wonderful trip.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

College basketball recruiting: Arizona, Kansas, and Texas pursuing Quentin Grimes ‘the hardest’

Another five-star point guard Arizona is interested in
by Ryan Kelapire@RKelapire Jul 7, 2017, 4:00pm PDT

Quentin Grimes wants to narrow his recruitment to “seven or eight” schools in the near future and there are three that seem certain to make the cut — Arizona, Kansas, and Texas.

According to Pat Lawless of MadeHoops.com, those three schools are recruiting Grimes the “hardest.”

The Woodlands, Texas product is a five-star point guard prospect, ranked the No. 20 player in the 2018 class and the No. 5 player at his position, according to 247Sports.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruitin ... d-rankings" target="_blank

Kansas predicted

http://247sports.com/Player/Quentin-Grimes-91195" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

So Jerry Meyer thinks both Bol and Bagley go to USC. Ummm....what?
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Boosters gonna boost? That's the only explanation I can think of for USC pulling that off.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I don't buy Bol to USC, but the hot rumor right now is Bagley reclassifying to the 2017 class and committing to either Duke or USC.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Just offered Simisola Shittu. 6'8" 210, #7 247, #9 ESPN
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Bagley to visit AZ the first week in August

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruitin ... recruiting" target="_blank
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Cutting it close to be admitted if he decides to come here (not that he will). Is it possible to graduate highschool, reclassify, apply and enroll at the UA and get out into an already booked freshman dorm in like 2 weeks?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Although we appear to be way down his list Zion Willamson is at least thinking about visiting the UA:

http://www.thestate.com/sports/high-sch ... 91103.html" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

"5 second rule" ;-)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Cutting it close to be admitted if he decides to come here (not that he will). Is it possible to graduate highschool, reclassify, apply and enroll at the UA and get out into an already booked freshman dorm in like 2 weeks?
Heard a couple guys mention that Andre Drummond did a very late (late Aug) reclassification/commitment with UConn a while back. So this isn't unprecedented. Do we even have a '17 scholie to offer? Thought the roster was locked in.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I am a big Alex Barcello fan, as a person and player, but was surprised when he came here. Thought he was a lock for Stanford, then Virginia. Kid can play, but he chose to come into this mix, and he knows how we recruit. No one promised him anything and he didn't ask for anything.

If anything, what made up his mind was showing well with Oakland Soldiers and Miller telling him for a long time that he could be a great player at this level and then saying "see?" Miller probably had more faith in Alex being Arizona Good than Alex for a long time.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Jefe wrote:
Ouch. At the Peach Jam, no less. Hope Pops has a big talk with him.

I'm sure staff has looked at Shareef's emotional side and made the right decision.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Looks like Quinerly will be visiting KU and UCLA this September. I imagine we stay involved, but focus probably turns to Devon Dotson at the position.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

ChooChooCat wrote:Looks like Quinerly will be visiting KU and UCLA this September. I imagine we stay involved, but focus probably turns to Devon Dotson at the position.
Why? We ain't getting Quinerly. Will be Grimes, Langford and Dotson.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

enfuego wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Looks like Quinerly will be visiting KU and UCLA this September. I imagine we stay involved, but focus probably turns to Devon Dotson at the position.
Why? We ain't getting Quinerly. Will be Grimes, Langford and Dotson.
I should've said Dotson or Grimes. Good luck getting that haul buddy.

In regards to Quinerly, I don't think you or UCLA end up with him, but the fact that he's dragging out his recruitment isn't good for Arizona and is extremely good for Villanova.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Comprehensive mixes of Williams and O'Neal in AAU play(scroll down roster to mixes)::

https://californiasupremebasketball.com/elite-17u/" target="_blank