Allonzo Trier

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PennZona20

Re: Allonzo Trier

Post by PennZona20 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:If he can just control that scorers mentality a little bit he's gonna be awesome.
I don't understand that sentiment.

Trier had a greater than 60% TS (second barely to Lauri) and had the third highest assist rate (rivaling Kadeem's). He posted a 127 ORtg.

So he was arguably the most dangerous scorer on the team while also being the most productive passing player to not play point. I hope he's able to further develop and showcase his passing with a start to finish season, but I don't think turning down his scorers mentality should be anywhere on his or the team's mind.

A counter take would be: Lauri should have demanded more usage. His was lower than Dusan's - at some point it was on him to step up and make the plays.

Yeah when I typed it I knew it came out wrong but was too lazy to change it. I never want him to lose that scorers and attack mentality. It's what makes him great most of the time. He's basically a more talented and bigger Mark Lyons (mentality wise) and I mean that as a compliment as I loved Mark in his year here tbh.

I guess what I meant is that when he's in that "attack, attack, attack" mode ala Xavier, he doesn't put blinders on and not see the whole floor just so he can prove he can"get his" whenever he wants. A fadeaway from Trier isn't the right play if triple teamed and he misses a cutting Alkins for a layup for example.

I will say his statement helps me believe his lapses in concentration and going hard on D (fighting thru screens, closing out, staying in a stance) will be a thing of the past this year for the most part.

I've said all along I expect HUGE THINGS from him and the squad this year. Like 1st team AA and a FF at the least. Idc how big those expectations are. I'm putting it out there now barring injuries.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

CalStateTempe wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:We all know my perspective so I'll withhold commenting until I see distribution, defense, and leadership that backs up his cocksure statements.

I truly wish him the best and hope that this year is the year he puts it together with his high level of offensive production.
Three players in the Miller era have posted >20% USG and >120 ORtg.

Lauri, Derrick, Alonzo.

5.6%, 8.7%, 16.6%.

Those are their assist rates.

"Trier needs to pass the ball more. That is, if he wants me to believe in him."

FOH.
Oh Fuck me,

AT could care less what a message board jockey (except he tweets a lot about 'ungrateful fans' -they love you then they hate you-so maybe he does) let alone a mild detractor.

All I know if what I've seen; he single handedly shot us out of the Wichita state and Xavier tourney games, he has a marginal at best +/- ratio, he claps for the ball like a middle schooler and sulks when he doesn't get it, he has a penchant for hero ball jack a three at the expense of a pass to a player with a higher percentage automatic shot. But god dammit; his stats are awesome!!!!

Miller and the cats are all in on him s I'll be too. But I've never been one to glorify a player, especially one whose results rarely meet the bombast in his tweets. I'm old school, I prefer they players game to do the talking.

Example; love rawle. I'll be very interested to see how far he (and AT) can take us, if AT is smart and aware enough to let him.

Hero ball is great if you're automatic. If not, it destroys team production. AT has certainly earned this responsibility, but I hope he knows when to pull back and involve others when it isn't working. Also, I hope AT is more consistent this year for those moments he decides to go all world.
Couldn't disagree more. Ive been making the same arguments YoDeFoe is since Trier got here. He doesnt nees my help, but is right on the money.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

NT
Last edited by TucsonClip on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I've seen Trier clap for the ball when wide open and sulk when someone else missed a shot. Moreso two years ago than this past season though. He's cocky but he usually gets the job done. Here was one example from this past season

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Since we're gonna beat a dead horse the threads "Oregon loss" and "hero ball always loses" have posts from posters not named CST that alludes to AT dominating the ball to the detriment of team. To be fair, I'm not going to scour every 20pg game thread and for now I'll concede that I couldn't find anything specific to clapping for the ball as posted on this board, but i could've sworn I saw it at least one or two times.

Nevertheless that doesn't detract from my point that I wish AT would let his play do the talking before firing off boisterous tweets to play that hasn't happened yet. Maybe it fires everyone up, and that's good, I just see it in a different light.

At the end of the day we all want the same things here.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I think any fair minded person would list Zo's to do improvement list including:

1. Being more of a pg, including ball distribution and handles.
2. D.

He's not necessarily bad in either area, but I get the desire to see him move toward excelling. Those are two things he can do better. Scoring, he's as dangerous as it gets. He just takes heat for Xavier bc he went cold for spurts, but no scorer is immune to that.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Had that last shot been 1" in any other direction against Xavier, we would be singing his praises and not talking hero ball at all :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Had that last shot been 1" in any other direction against Xavier, we would be singing his praises and not talking hero ball at all :lol:
http://www.espn.com/blog/marc-stein/pos ... bron-james" target="_blank

People just don't make those shots very often. From the link above, only one NBA player was above 40% in that situation.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I think any fair minded person would list Zo's to do improvement list including:

2. D.

He's not necessarily bad in either area, but I get the desire to see him move toward excelling. Those are two things he can do better. Scoring, he's as dangerous as it gets. He just takes heat for Xavier bc he went cold for spurts, but no scorer is immune to that.
That's right. James Harden went from scoring wing to MVP caliber point guard. I think Zo can be that same kind of player - just can get you from any direction.

We saw improvements in offense last year. No doubt he became a much better passer and he would have been even better had he played those first 19 games with the team.

Zo talks up his defense in the interview (or elsewhere?) that he and Kadeem shared primary perimeter defender responsibility and he felt he did a good job at the end of the season. I'm unsure there - it's much harder to judge. The advanced stats don't look great in that area for Zo though.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Since we're gonna beat a dead horse the threads "Oregon loss" and "hero ball always loses" have posts from posters not named CST that alludes to AT dominating the ball to the detriment of team. To be fair, I'm not going to scour every 20pg game thread and for now I'll concede that I couldn't find anything specific to clapping for the ball as posted on this board, but i could've sworn I saw it at least one or two times.

Nevertheless that doesn't detract from my point that I wish AT would let his play do the talking before firing off boisterous tweets to play that hasn't happened yet. Maybe it fires everyone up, and that's good, I just see it in a different light.

I'm sorry, but you made it seem like that was some kind of regular behavior. I have no idea what your axe to grind is with him but be an adult. Don't pretend bullshit in YOUR mind is indicative that Trier is some kind of terrible teammate or person.

CST, you know I like you but you're going to have to get past the fact that the young man is self-confident and tweets.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Trier needs to be a student of the game and realize it's harder to go 1 on 5 and get a good shot than it is to try and press your advantage and match ups as they come. Attracting a double & triple team is a good thing and will lead to others getting good shots. Trier needs to realize and coaches need to stress that the team has plenty of weapons. And I think he knows it and so do the coaches.

The best thing Trier can do to become a more complete player that will ultimately raise his draft stock is by learning to move and score away from the ball. That means getting garbage buckets on the offensive glass. One or two a game makes a world of difference.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I think any fair minded person would list Zo's to do improvement list including:

2. D.

That's right. James Harden went from scoring wing to MVP caliber point guard. I think Zo can be that same kind of player - just can get you from any direction.

We saw improvements in offense last year. No doubt he became a much better passer and he would have been even better had he played those first 19 games with the team.

Zo talks up his defense in the interview (or elsewhere?) that he and Kadeem shared primary perimeter defender responsibility and he felt he did a good job at the end of the season. I'm unsure there - it's much harder to judge. The advanced stats don't look great in that area for Zo though.
I was less than sold on Zo's defense. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't in the same ballpark as Kadeem last year. He was decent to spotty. I have higher hopes for Rawle in terms of becoming a stopper.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Since we're gonna beat a dead horse the threads "Oregon loss" and "hero ball always loses" have posts from posters not named CST that alludes to AT dominating the ball to the detriment of team. To be fair, I'm not going to scour every 20pg game thread and for now I'll concede that I couldn't find anything specific to clapping for the ball as posted on this board, but i could've sworn I saw it at least one or two times.

em

I'm sorry, but you made it seem like that was some kind of regular behavior. I have no idea what your axe to grind is with him but be an adult. Don't pretend bullshit in YOUR mind is indicative that Trier is some kind of terrible teammate or person.

CST, you know I like you but you're going to have to get past the fact that the young man is self-confident and tweets.
So says the board's objective voice... whose opinions are fact, while everyone else's are 'emotional.

Much like the "Ultinate OKG" Marty D :lol:

I see Zo the same way CST does... hopefully we can one day achieve your level of enlightenment & consciousness.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:So says the board's objective voice... whose opinions are fact, while everyone else's are 'emotional.

Much like the "Ultinate OKG" Marty D :lol:

I see Zo the same way CST does... hopefully we can one day achieve your level of enlightenment & consciousness.
I'm sorry I wasn't noticing your hot takes on the football board Harv. I'll try to do better.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I'm an expert, so listen up:

Trier needs to improve 1) passing off the drive, and 2) defense. Nothing else. If watching his attitude on the bench for the entire first half of the year didn't sell you on his leadership ability, then there's not much that can be done. No sulking. No self pity.

Well, okay, I'm not really an expert, but I bet anyone a beer that my take is right, unoriginal though it is.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:I'm an expert, so listen up:

Trier needs to improve 1) passing off the drive, and 2) defense. Nothing else. If watching his attitude on the bench for the entire first half of the year didn't sell you on his leadership ability, then there's not much that can be done. No sulking. No self pity.

Well, okay, I'm not really an expert, but I bet anyone a beer that my take is right, unoriginal though it is.
I'm not an expert, but I do play one on the internet.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Dating yourself with that one
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Puerco wrote:Dating yourself with that one
Whenever I date myself I always end up thinking "Cost too much, needs to talk less."
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Crazy how a guy who has been one of the two best players on the last two teams is still somewhat of a whipping boy.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:Crazy how a guy who has been one of the two best players on the last two teams is still somewhat of a whipping boy.
That's what I've been thinking too. I mean, we can go through the list of all time great Cats and find shortcomings in their games. And there's nothing wrong with good-spirited constructive criticism. But Trier has been very, very good in his two seasons. There's no reason to expect that he won't continue to mature and improve this year.

I'll go ahead and predict that Trier wins Pac POY.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Beachcat97 wrote: I'll go ahead and predict that Trier wins Pac POY.
So brave.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Crazy how a guy who has been one of the two best players on the last two teams is still somewhat of a whipping boy.
Xavier is a microcosm of why:

First half, "what is he doing? These are wide open bricks."
Second half, he hits a hot streak, "if I was female, I'd have his babies. As it is, I'm still willing to try."
TO and missed 3 down the stretch, "HERO BALL!!!"

Zo is a guy who has the makeup to be the go to guy. The upside is that he can produce tremendous things. The downside is when it doesn't pay off, it's easy to lay blame there.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

First half, "what is he doing? These are wide open bricks." And "wow he's so awesome at driving 1 on 3."
Second half, he hits a hot streak, "if I was female, I'd have his babies. As it is, I'm still willing to try."

Zo is a guy who has the makeup to be the go to guy. The upside is that he can produce tremendous things. The downside is when it doesn't pay off, it's easy to lay blame there.
Added the bold above. (The bricks weren't really open, he was consistently driving into traffic. We talk about the missed three, but one or two assists in the first half rather then going all world and missing, and the cats win that game.)

Again, yes he is a prolific scorer, and if he can bring passing and defense with more consistency to his game, he will be deadly. It gives him more options to contribute for the nights/halfs when things arent clicking for him. He doesn't need to be hero ball all the time, so long as he can develop a sense on when to turn it on an off. By all means, if he's on, go NBA jam all you want, but if it's not working, don't force it. Involve others. There is more than enough talent on this squad to do so if/when needed.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote: I'll go ahead and predict that Trier wins Pac POY.
So brave.
Reid Travis will probably make a run at it too. Maybe Boatwright? Maybe Bird?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Space, I get all that, just expect people to realize that comes with the territory for elite scoring wings.

Cal, Trier had to be assertive for several reasons. The biggest being no one else was, even the guys who were having success. Alkins couldn't do much w the injury, Dusan looked like he had a great game on paper but recall 5 or 6 of his buckets came off essentially lay-ins off of others' creation, Lauri's 3's didn't fall and he was MIA for most of the 2nd half. We lose that game by double digits without Trier.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

First half, "what is he doing? These are wide open bricks." And "wow he's so awesome at driving 1 on 3."

Added the bold above. (The bricks weren't really open, he was consistently driving into traffic. We talk about the missed three, but one or two assists in the first half rather then going all world and missing, and the cats win that game.)

Again, yes he is a prolific scorer, and if he can bring passing and defense with more consistency to his game, he will be deadly. It gives him more options to contribute for the nights/halfs when things arent clicking for him. He doesn't need to be hero ball all the time, so long as he can develop a sense on when to turn it on an off. By all means, if he's on, go NBA jam all you want, but if it's not working, don't force it. Involve others. There is more than enough talent on this squad to do so if/when needed.
I think you're too harsh on him there. One area Zo excels is creating contact and getting to the line. The downside is that if refs are lax and don't blow the whistle, there are a lot of ugly plays. In the Pac, he can get a ton of whistles and 10-12 freebies a game with those drives.

All good qualities have their downsides. Zo's ability to create contact has a downside when the whistles aren't blowing. Using another example, LeBron James is tremendous at finding open 3 point shooters. When the shots fall, it's awesome. When the shots miss, people rip LeBron for deferring instead of scoring.

It's how everything is.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spiff and RJ, great posts and appreciate the feedback.

Agree that there is not perfect player. Agree about generating contact, getting to the line, and getting other in foul trouble. All part of a winning strategy.

Maybe it's just youth and he'll have it figured out this season, I just hope that when the whistle arn't blowing and he isn't generating points, he's mature enough to go to the next contingencies rather then over power if i isn't working. Let the game come to him more.

I know I sound harsh with AT, but that is because I see SO much potential in him. I want him to be PAC POY, I want him to go to the league and kick ass, all of that helps Arizona BB currently and into the future.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Space, I get all that, just expect people to realize that comes with the territory for elite scoring wings.

Cal, Trier had to be assertive for several reasons. The biggest being no one else was, even the guys who were having success. Alkins couldn't do much w the injury, Dusan looked like he had a great game on paper but recall 5 or 6 of his buckets came off essentially lay-ins off of others' creation, Lauri's 3's didn't fall and he was MIA for most of the 2nd half. We lose that game by double digits without Trier.
It comes with the territory of being "the man" on a team. Zo is that guy for us. He wants it and will step forward when others don't. It means the buck stops with him. If he had (or does?) lead us to a NC, he becomes a legend like Miles Simon. If the shot spins out...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I know I sound harsh with AT, but that is because I see SO much potential in him. I want him to be PAC POY, I want him to go to the league and kick ass
You also want him to be less outwardly confident and to express himself less. Not sure how those things have any bearing on being the best player in the conference.
prh

Post by prh »

Chicat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I know I sound harsh with AT, but that is because I see SO much potential in him. I want him to be PAC POY, I want him to go to the league and kick ass
You also want him to be less outwardly confident and to express himself less. Not sure how those things have any bearing on being the best player in the conference.
I think certain levels of excellence aren't attainable without a specific type of killer mentality.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:

Nah, I just want him to earn it before boasting about it. But as I've said, that's a style thing. Agree to disagree. Notice I refrained from mentioned his tweeting in my recent posts.

Lonzo ball had every reason to tweet the way trier does, but didnt. (Left that to dad)

ATs tweet after the Xavier game, " first they love you then they hate you" was a weak tweet and passive aggressive smack at fans for someone who has their eyes set on the league.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Jordan, kobi, lebron, they've earned it.

Imo based on triers body of work to date, he has some room to go. Again my opinion.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

CalStateTempe wrote: ATs tweet after the Xavier game, " first they love you then they hate you" was a weak tweet and passive aggressive smack at fans for someone who has their eyes set on the league.

Even if that were so (& I'm not sure it is) - him coming back to school without even testing the combine makes your statement false & frankly, ridiculous.

I would guess there was no one on the team last year who had a bigger thirst for the NBA than Allonzo - more than Kobi even - and yet, he came back without testing the waters. I feel like maybe I'm repeating myself but the things you kinda slag him for - a lot of the rest of us see as positives. Trier has that Momo/Lyons attitude - but he's actually good enough to pull it off a lot better & more often than they did. Which is rad.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I cant believe people actually tweet players, especially after games that dont go the way people want. Lots of tough guys.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Nah, I just want him to earn it before boasting about it. But as I've said, that's a style thing. Agree to disagree. Notice I refrained from mentioned his tweeting in my recent posts.

Lonzo ball had every reason to tweet the way trier does, but didnt. (Left that to dad)

ATs tweet after the Xavier game, " first they love you then they hate you" was a weak tweet and passive aggressive smack at fans for someone who has their eyes set on the league.
Lonzo Ball accomplished less than Zo with his eyes far more firmly set on the league. Zo has more he can accomplish, but he has been tremendous so far. Most of his limits have more to do with his forced absences.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Lonzo Ball accomplished less than Zo with his eyes far more firmly set on the league. Zo has more he can accomplish, but he has been tremendous so far. Most of his limits have more to do with his forced absences.
Was the drug he was suspended for given to him by a doctor in recovery of the car accident?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

what's wrong with that tweet? Doesn't seem passive aggressive, seems like an accurate observation. If his last shot is 6 inches in a different direction he is the man, since it didn't he's the scapegoat even tho he was clearly our best player that game.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: I think you're too harsh on him there. One area Zo excels is creating contact and getting to the line. The downside is that if refs are lax and don't blow the whistle, there are a lot of ugly plays. In the Pac, he can get a ton of whistles and 10-12 freebies a game with those drives.
To add: Trier averaged 6.8 FTAs per game going into that Xavier game. I'll open it up to the forum to guess how many he calls he got in the Xavier game.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

SunnyAZ wrote:If his last shot is 6 inches in a different direction he is the man, since it didn't he's the scapegoat even tho he was clearly our best player that game.
A half inch. It legit rimmed out. Video here if you want to relive it: http://thebiglead.com/2017/03/24/watch- ... st-xavier/" target="_blank Feel free to ignore the shit commentary on that site.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I was far more concerned with his tendency to take plays off on the defensive side, sometimes in major crunch time (I always go back to him walking behind his man on the X curl play late that got a huge bucket. He walked, didn't even get screened, didn't attempt to recover, and his guy curled at the top block, got the pass, drew the big man defender out of necessity, and X player underhanded to the X big for a dunk with Zo running underneath him).

His offense is what it is...there is far more good than bad. FAR more. But we cannot have a leader dropping effort in big moments on D. That isn't about getting beat...it is about not seeing the whole game and competing. That is my biggest issue with Zo. And it is one he can fix easily.

I feel very good with the ball in his hands on offense.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Christ, I readily admit I'm arguing a minor and subjective point.

I like the guy i want him to do well. I have issues with people who brag, especially if they haven't performed to the degree of their said bragging. Call it arrogance, confidence what have you, i tend to have a more critical eye towards those who speak highly of their own performance. Personally, I'm my life, I let my performance speak for itself and it's served me expectionally well. I dont waste time on "building my brand", I just worry about continuing to kick ass. Maybe it's a character flaw of mine, so what, we all have em.

My apologies for not cheering when a player tweets and being a good wildcat fan...getting back in line.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

CalStateTempe wrote:Jordan, kobi, lebron, they've earned it.

Imo based on triers body of work to date, he has some room to go. Again my opinion.
He's not Jordan and should shut up until he's at least LeBron. Got it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: I think you're too harsh on him there. One area Zo excels is creating contact and getting to the line. The downside is that if refs are lax and don't blow the whistle, there are a lot of ugly plays. In the Pac, he can get a ton of whistles and 10-12 freebies a game with those drives.
To add: Trier averaged 6.8 FTAs per game going into that Xavier game. I'll open it up to the forum to guess how many he calls he got in the Xavier game.
Maybe I'm a homer, but 8 of 10 times, his late turnover in the lane is called a foul. I even saw people on unaffiliated forums saying he got hacked.

Que sera, sera, but Xavier was not officiated in a way that lent itself to Trier's game. It happens. Shaq was great, but if touch fouls were whistled, he would have issues staying on the floor. If refs let contact go, he would go for 40 and 20.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

YoDeFoe wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:If his last shot is 6 inches in a different direction he is the man, since it didn't he's the scapegoat even tho he was clearly our best player that game.
A half inch. It legit rimmed out. Video here if you want to relive it: http://thebiglead.com/2017/03/24/watch- ... st-xavier/" target="_blank Feel free to ignore the shit commentary on that site.
Those last two minutes are a blur to me. Just re-watched and I didn't realize how close that was to falling. Side note: hope 54 on their team got the love he deserved for his box-out on Lauri that pushed him out of good positioning. That probably saved the game for them, because if Lauri gets that offensive board he is knocking that close shot down and tying or getting to the line.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

rgdeuce wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Those last two minutes are a blur to me. Just re-watched and I didn't realize how close that was to falling. Side note: hope 54 on their team got the love he deserved for his box-out on Lauri that pushed him out of good positioning. That probably saved the game for them, because if Lauri gets that offensive board he is knocking that close shot down and tying or getting to the line.
#54 = Sean O'Mara - he won the game for them by out toughing Dusan and Lauri.

He's the reason that Dusan had to go to the bench, because while Dusan was dominating him offensively, shooting over the smaller player, O'Mara took it right back at Dusan causing our big Serb to pick up four fouls trying to keep up with the quicker O'Mara.

He also scored the winning bucket - sealing Lauri out of the post and getting a beautiful wide open look at the rim for the go ahead layup. Video: https://twitter.com/ChatNCAA/status/845 ... 48/video/1" target="_blank

Something something soft euros.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
I have never re-watched. All I remember is just being stunned, like it wasn't possible to end like this.

Not as bad as Illinois, but on the Wisconsin level for sure.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

My wife was in the bedroom with my youngest, asking for updates. I was pacing around the room, going crazy, losing my mind. But then the run happened. I actually went into the room when we went up 8 with under 3 left and whispered to her (she was laying down with my daughter) "We figured it out. Up 8, under 4...we got this."

We got this.

And then I woke everyone up 5 minutes later. The scream of "how can this happen again??? FUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKK!!!!" was enough to shake the foundation of our house and give my kids trauma they will unravel with a therapist in 15 years.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I sat in shock for 5minutes in my seat at the arena.

Then like ones last gasp of air before death I had a spurt of energy, ran up the aisles, and was able to extricate myself for the packed arena in under five minutes.

I ran. In the direction of the car. As fast as I could from the HP pavilion.

I saw a pedi cab, and hailed said pedicab.(I was a broken man in this moment) Russian pedicab driver said "where to boss" in an accent as thick as three day old borscht. "Away, just get me away to downtown parking garage, the faster the higher your tip."

"Who won?"

"I don't want to talk about it, just peddle"

I get to the car, and sit in the drivers seat comatose for like 10 minute before calling the wife. In the back ground oldest daughter is crying and my wife is saying she keeps repeating "the wildcats lost"

1. Kinda put my tantrum in perspective
2. Damn proud I'm raising my daughter right.

That game sucked.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

CalStateTempe wrote:I sat in shock for 5minutes in my seat at the arena.

Then like ones last gasp of air before death I had a spurt of energy, ran up the aisles, and was able to extricate myself for the packed arena in under five minutes.

I ran. In the direction of the car. As fast as I could from the HP pavilion.

I saw a pedi cab, and hailed said pedicab.(I was a broken man in this moment) Russian pedicab driver said "where to boss" in an accent as thick as three day old borscht. "Away, just get me away to downtown parking garage, the faster the higher your tip."

"Who won?"

"I don't want to talk about it, just peddle"

I get to the car, and sit in the drivers seat comatose for like 10 minute before calling the wife. In the back ground oldest daughter is crying and my wife is saying she keeps repeating "the wildcats lost"

1. Kinda put my tantrum in perspective
2. Damn proud I'm raising my daughter right.

That game sucked.
I like you, man.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
I have never re-watched. All I remember is just being stunned, like it wasn't possible to end like this.

Not as bad as Illinois, but on the Wisconsin level for sure.
I dreamt about that Illinois game for two weeks. To this day every innocent Bill Murray appearance rekindles the agony.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law