let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '17

Post by ChooChooCat »

SunnyAZ wrote:
I'd prefer they surround Akot and Ayton all season long .
I feel like some people are setting Akot's expectations too high. 'He's gonna be awesome defensively, he's gonna be able to play small ball PF for us, he's gonna be awesome setting people up and running the offense, he might leave for the draft' etc. I think he will probably play the 5th most minutes just from our perimeter players (Trier, Rawle, PJC, and Randolph). Then Smith and Barcello are going to get some minutes. I don't think he is going to have a big role on the team next year and I see no way he leaves after next year for the NBA.
Smith is either 10th or 11th in line for minutes, which pretty much means he won't be getting any.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

SunnyAZ wrote:
I'd prefer they surround Akot and Ayton all season long .
I feel like some people are setting Akot's expectations too high. 'He's gonna be awesome defensively, he's gonna be able to play small ball PF for us, he's gonna be awesome setting people up and running the offense, he might leave for the draft' etc. I think he will probably play the 5th most minutes just from our perimeter players (Trier, Rawle, PJC, and Randolph). Then Smith and Barcello are going to get some minutes. I don't think he is going to have a big role on the team next year and I see no way he leaves after next year for the NBA.
I'm unsure of why we'd project Randolph, the 37th ranked recruit, to get more minutes than Akot, the 19th ranked recruit. Especially given Akot's versatility buoyed by his 6'7" height. Randolph is likely a much better scoring threat, but I'm unsure that we're in need for more scoring rather than a combo forward who can help some in the post (the guy we've been missing since Rondae went pro and Ray went out with injury).

If your answer is age: consider that Randolph is only a handful of months older than Akot, though I suppose Randolph has had an extra year of play against higher competition for what that's worth.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

gumby wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
gumby wrote:Karnowski on Gonzaga got really good at making teams pay for the double team. Didn't always have that skill. It's doable.

Kevin Love was really good at that in college, back when he was pudgy.
I don't know dude, Karnowski may not have been quite as skilled at it toward the beginning, but I can't remember ever watching him and thinking anything besides "This kid is deadly when you double him". To think Dusan can do anything in the same ballpark is, to put it mildy, incredibly optimistic
Dude.
8 year olds, dude.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I expect Akot and Randolph to get similar minutes as both can play multiple positions and roles. They'll both be very important for different reasons.

On the 2017 front Marvin Bagley will announce his commitment tomorrow on the late night Sportscenter and will also be announcing his reclassification to 2017. He's already been cleared by the NCAA from what I've been told. I expect a Duke commitment, but all I know for sure on that front is it's not Arizona.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:I expect Akot and Randolph to get similar minutes as both can play multiple positions and roles. They'll both be very important for different reasons.

On the 2017 front Marvin Bagley will announce his commitment tomorrow on the late night Sportscenter and will also be announcing his reclassification to 2017. He's already been cleared by the NCAA from what I've been told. I expect a Duke commitment, but all I know for sure on that front is it's not Arizona.
Seeing on Twitter that a lot of people are saying USC has a legit shot to land him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Still think it's Duke though. I don't want to have to play Bagley in conference. With him, USC is potentially the favorites to win the league and is a top 5 team.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I expect Akot and Randolph to get similar minutes as both can play multiple positions and roles. They'll both be very important for different reasons.

Seeing on Twitter that a lot of people are saying USC has a legit shot to land him.
Any school not named Arizona wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So it's Duke or USC for MB? Thought KU was still in the mix.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:So it's Duke or USC for MB? Thought KU was still in the mix.
If his recent visits mean anything he only took visits to Duke, USC, and UCLA. Fwiw I don't think he ends up at a non-Nike school, but as I mentioned before nothing would surprise me.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Why would he wait until 11pm eastern to commit to Duke? He's going to USC or UCLA.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

So did we have a legit shot at MB if we had opened up a scholly? OR did we think having to do that + possible team chemistry issues + MB's Dad / Baggage was not worth getting MB?

Thanks!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:So did we have a legit shot at MB if we had opened up a scholly? OR did we think having to do that + possible team chemistry issues + MB's Dad / Baggage was not worth getting MB?

Thanks!
It's a good question, BW. Think we should give Sean the benefit of the doubt on this one. If he thought our fate in '18 was tied to getting MB, he'd have gone harder. But he canceled MB's visit. This roster is already potent enough to win a NC, so while it's hard to move on from a player like MB, it sounds like it was best for both parties to go separate ways.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I think MB is a wonderful NBA prospect but I'm not worried about him going to USC. Personally I'd rather see him at UCLA b/c that would make three top 10 teams in the conference.

We're the top dog regardless IMO.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I think MB is a wonderful NBA prospect but I'm not worried about him going to USC. Personally I'd rather see him at UCLA b/c that would make three top 10 teams in the conference.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:So did we have a legit shot at MB if we had opened up a scholly? OR did we think having to do that + possible team chemistry issues + MB's Dad / Baggage was not worth getting MB?

Thanks!
Scholarship numbers were never an issue.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Thanks!
Hmmm......So what was the determining factor that led CSM to quit the chase? Potential Chemistry Issues? Over-recruiting Ayton?
gumby

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Any school not named Arizona wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Either I'm reading this wrong, or Grand Canyon has a better shot than us.
Right where I want to be.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Thanks!
Hmmm......So what was the determining factor that led CSM to quit the chase? Potential Chemistry Issues? Over-recruiting Ayton?
Lol. Over-recruiting Dusan maybe. U can't overrecruit a top 3 lotto pick next year even if you try.

There may be some potential chemistry issues w DA and MB tho as they used to play together at Hillcrest and that kind of fell apart. There is such thing as too much talent in college considering MB and pops care zero for the college team they play for and only about expanding his brand pre-draft. A kid like that can turn a locker room toxic quick. It's not like we need him to win a Natty, he's a luxury w our roster. The biggest thing about getting him is blocking USC or Duke from standing in our way come March. Make no mistake, MB is talented enough to put a team on his back and beat ANYBODY in a one game situation. The kid is the best prospect since the brow and maybe even Lebron. I just wish he stayed in the 18 class so he can't possibly break our hearts come March. But obv his circle wants him to get in on these ridic contracts before the bubble bursts on them and that is understandable.
gumby

Post by gumby »

RaisingArizona wrote:I think MB is a wonderful NBA prospect but I'm not worried about him going to USC. Personally I'd rather see him at UCLA b/c that would make three top 10 teams in the conference.

We'd be picked to finish second, I think.

Metu, Boatright, Bagley ... best frontline in the nation? McLaughlin > PJC.

Top 8 scorers returning. Other additions: Charles O’Bannon Jr., Jordan Usher and Derryck Thornton.

We'd be better off if he landed at UCLA or Duke.
Right where I want to be.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I doubt it. I think we've got three elite guys while they would only have one. Melton, Boatwright, McLaughlin, Metu, etc. are nice pieces but I wouldn't think about trading our top three pieces for any of those guys. To be honest I'm not sure that I would trade Randolph for any of them. I'll take my chance with superstars and I think we'd still have them beat in that regard. Better coach and better culture to top it off and it sounds like savvy prognosticators might be worried about the baggage that comes with MB. I think USC would be top five to start the season though so we may be splitting hairs.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Strangely, I do hope Bagley ends up in the Pac. It's nice when guys like Fultz and Ball and A Gordon and J Brown play in our league and command greater national attention. Duke gets more national attention than any program, so Bagley to Duke just gives ESPN and others yet another reason to over-report on the Blue Devils.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RaisingArizona wrote:I doubt it. I think we've got three elite guys while they would only have one. Melton, Boatwright, McLaughlin, Metu, etc. are nice pieces but I wouldn't think about trading our top three pieces for any of those guys. To be honest I'm not sure that I would trade Randolph for any of them. I'll take my chance with superstars and I think we'd still have them beat in that regard. Better coach and better culture to top it off and it sounds like savvy prognosticators might be worried about the baggage that comes with MB. I think USC would be top five to start the season though so we may be splitting hairs.
This is straight homer talk. I love our team but DeAnthony Melton is a top PG in the NCAAs this year (hello 6'8" wingspan), Jordan McLuaghlin is a microwave scorer (like an upperclassman version of Randolph). Boatwright and Metu compete with ours as the most dangerous frontcourt in the conference.

I'm not saying I would trade Rawle for Melton, since I love Rawle, but an independent observer probably would. Randolph could go for any of those three (or four if you remember to include Metu).
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Not sure why the "straight homer talk" comment is necessary. Perhaps my comment re: Randolph is over the top, but I absolutely love that guy. I think once the season starts you'll end up feeling he same way about him. As far as Alkins vs. Melton I strongly disagree that most outsiders would take Melton as a 2017-18 college basketball player. NBA draft wise I could see that b/c of Alkins lack of desired length, but in terms of next college basketball season it is clearly Alkins.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Lot of smoke going around that Bagley will end up at one of the LA schools.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

USC would be too good with Bagley, UCLA better? Better the devil you know? Plus they have Alford.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:USC would be too good with Bagley, UCLA better? Better the devil you know? Plus they have Alford.
They're both coached by morons, whom would obviously have success with Bagley because he's a transcendent prospect, but would ultimately fail to fully capitalize on their talent, because they are morons.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Lot of smoke going around that Bagley will end up at one of the LA schools.
He'd get more attention at UCLA, so I'm guessing that's where he goes.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:USC would be too good with Bagley, UCLA better? Better the devil you know? Plus they have Alford.
They're both coached by morons, whom would obviously have success with Bagley because he's a transcendent prospect, but would ultimately fail to fully capitalize on their talent, because they are morons.
Agree, Bagley at UCLA under Alford much better for us than at Duke. Much better.

USC, ouch. Scary prospects, even for an NC with Bagley.

I'd definitely not under rate Enfield as a Coach. Minimal experience, yes; though he's coached two college teams and had a stint as a Boston Celtics Asst. Kind of disorganized at times with his offense sets. Maybe over emphasizes the frenetic pace, though his kids of course love it.

On the positive side, he coaches and gets stingy D from his guys, though he probably asks too much from the youngsters when he switches schemes from Man to Zone and back. Spaces well on offense. Motivates beautifully. Develops players well, and has a heavy concentration on shooting skills with good results. Here's a guy who inherited little but has developed a scary team in a short period of time.

Last, don't forget his 2013 with Florida East Coast----a sweet 16 with a 15 seed team.

Yea, UCLA rather than Duke or USC. Absolutely.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Please be Duke, I don't advocate to make any rivals stronger. We all hate Duke, but they're not rivals or inter conference rivals either.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:Please be Duke, I don't advocate to make any rivals stronger. We all hate Duke, but they're not rivals or inter conference rivals either.
Again, it won't be Duke. Why would he wait until 11 eastern to commit to an east coast school? Makes no sense.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
NYCat wrote:Please be Duke, I don't advocate to make any rivals stronger. We all hate Duke, but they're not rivals or inter conference rivals either.
Again, it won't be Duke. Why would he wait until 11 eastern to commit to an east coast school? Makes no sense.
Maybe he has something going on before that?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Could UCLA's late trimester start date (late September vs August for Duke/Arizona/USC) possibly be a factor here?

He is scrambling to finish his school requirements. Or was. Does he need more time? College is a pit-stop for him, not a destination. It is merely about getting the clock rolling.

I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do here, but, yeah...nothing to indicate we are even in the mix but old words.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

I agree. I loathe Duke as much as anyone, but I have no interest in seeing a conference, west coast rival getting a prized, superstar recruit. That said, I hope the kid chooses USC because it will look like he went with a convenient one year stop at a non-traditional power -- it has minimal impact going forward because it is hard to imagine USC ever becoming a consistent destination for top players. I don't like seeing UCLA fall ass-backward into premier recruits like they did with Ball and Hands.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RaisingArizona wrote:Not sure why the "straight homer talk" comment is necessary. Perhaps my comment re: Randolph is over the top, but I absolutely love that guy. I think once the season starts you'll end up feeling he same way about him. As far as Alkins vs. Melton I strongly disagree that most outsiders would take Melton as a 2017-18 college basketball player. NBA draft wise I could see that b/c of Alkins lack of desired length, but in terms of next college basketball season it is clearly Alkins.
Alkins has a 6'9" wingspan - his length wasn't a concern noted in his draft feedback. Scouts asked him to drop his body fat, tighten his handles and get more consistent with his jumper.

As much as I'll enjoy Randolph this year, I'd trade him in a second for a point guard with a 6'8" wingspan who led the Pac-12 in steals last year.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

midnightx wrote:
I agree. I loathe Duke as much as anyone, but I have no interest in seeing a conference, west coast rival getting a prized, superstar recruit. That said, I hope the kid chooses USC because it will look like he went with a convenient one year stop at a non-traditional power -- it has minimal impact going forward because it is hard to imagine USC ever becoming a consistent destination for top players. I don't like seeing UCLA fall ass-backward into premier recruits like they did with Ball and Hands.
I agree. Duke would also be a title favorite with Bagley on board. USC might win the Pac-12 with Bagley, but I don't know that Enfield can take them far enough to challenge us in March. UCLA can go fuck themselves.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

We're getting USC/UCLA at home with no return trip, we'll win the Pac 12 easily. Let him go to Duke and we can see him in the natty game
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

YoDeFoe wrote:
I agree. Duke would also be a title favorite with Bagley on board. USC might win the Pac-12 with Bagley, but I don't know that Enfield can take them far enough to challenge us in March. UCLA can go fuck themselves.
:lol:

I like you too TDF. (Responding to your post in the AT Xavier discussion thread)
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

YoDeFoe wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:Not sure why the "straight homer talk" comment is necessary. Perhaps my comment re: Randolph is over the top, but I absolutely love that guy. I think once the season starts you'll end up feeling he same way about him. As far as Alkins vs. Melton I strongly disagree that most outsiders would take Melton as a 2017-18 college basketball player. NBA draft wise I could see that b/c of Alkins lack of desired length, but in terms of next college basketball season it is clearly Alkins.
Alkins has a 6'9" wingspan - his length wasn't a concern noted in his draft feedback. Scouts asked him to drop his body fat, tighten his handles and get more consistent with his jumper.

As much as I'll enjoy Randolph this year, I'd trade him in a second for a point guard with a 6'8" wingspan who led the Pac-12 in steals last year.
We'll just have to see how Randolph performs this year. I place a premium on shooting the ball well. If Melton improves in that regard I might change my mind. Until then, give me Randolph.
prh

Post by prh »

RaisingArizona wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

We'll just have to see how Randolph performs this year. I place a premium on shooting the ball well. If Melton improves in that regard I might change my mind. Until then, give me Randolph.
His point is that Randolph's contributions are easily replaced by Zo and Rawle. However, literally the only thing we are missing is a dependable PG. Randolph might be better than Melton, but Melton would be far more valuable to us.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

midnightx wrote:
Funny, I'm into a strong Pac. I think it lifts all the schools. Last year in the ACC, UNC lost 7 games and got a 1. Duke lost 8 and got a 2.

I'd like a piece of that level of respect. Arizona recruiting is fine without Bagley.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

prh wrote: His point is that Randolph's contributions are easily replaced by Zo and Rawle. However, literally the only thing we are missing is a dependable PG. Randolph might be better than Melton, but Melton would be far more valuable to us.
You got it. Not trying to knock Randolph (or Alkins), just talking about team need.

I appreciate Raising's love for Randolph though. I love his role on this team as a bucket getter and energy guy.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Arizona recruiting is fine without Bagley.
This. In almost any other year, this would be crazy talk, but our roster is so set this year, at all positions besides PG, that we can really be okay without this very big fish. If Ball couldn't deliver a Pac title to Westwood, I doubt Bagley will. And if Bagley goes to USC, it'll be interesting having a newly emergent Trojan program. AZ and OR could use some competition.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Okay. My bad for failing to understand. I guess I'm skeptical of Melton as a top notch pure point guard, but I can certainly see where you're coming from. I really should have just left Randolph out of my initial post. He was really more of an afterthought. My initial point was that even with Bagley on USC I still like our chances b/c our top 3 is a superior group IMO
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Mike Luke said today on the radio he knows a Tucson AAU coach who told him that Bagley is a lock for USC. The only AAU coach he knows is Kelvin Eafon. I wonder if Kelvin has inside info.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Bagley to Duke
Last edited by NYCat on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

National Title mix just got a lot more interesting.

With all the Duke slurpers in the media we will probably be the preseason #2.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

There goes our preseason #1 ranking, fun while it lasted.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Fuck Duke!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PennZona20 wrote:National Title mix just got a lot more interesting.

With all the Duke slurpers in the media we will probably be the preseason #2.
Oh, it's over now. ESPN making it abundantly clear that Duke is all that matters.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

To be fair they probably should be #1 preseason with Bagley.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.