let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '18

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Early possibly likely whatever you want to call it 2018 class:

Brandon Williams
David Singleton
Emmanuel Akot
Taeshon Cherry
Bol Bol
Going by the early lists from 2015, 2016, 2017, we'll end up with different players yet a better class.
Yeah..

Recruiting is so fickle
Always is the case isn't it? To be fair I don't think anyone could've predicted we would've went after and landed two top 40 PGs that long ago.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So Bol is the big fish for our '18 class, it seems. If we get him, the class already looks pretty spectacular, regardless of what Naz and Little and Barrett do.

How would this look?

Bol
Jeter
Akot
Randolph
Quinerly

Bench: O'Neal, Lee, Barcello, Williams, Smith

Young but lethal.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Beachcat97 wrote:So Bol is the big fish for our '18 class, it seems. If we get him, the class already looks pretty spectacular, regardless of what Naz and Little and Barrett do.

How would this look?

Bol
Jeter
Akot
Randolph
Quinerly

Young but lethal.
It's an absolutely absurd lineup. Let's hope that's our rebuild-after-Miller's-first-National-Championship team
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I'm thinking we get one of Barrett or Little, we have a lot of momentum right now
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Main Event wrote:I'm thinking we get one of Barrett or Little, we have a lot of momentum right now
I'd bet on Little. Barrett has UK written all over him. I could see him at Kansas too.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:So Bol is the big fish for our '18 class, it seems. If we get him, the class already looks pretty spectacular, regardless of what Naz and Little and Barrett do.

How would this look?

Bol
Jeter
Akot
Randolph
Quinerly

Young but lethal.
I honestly see Jeter as a bench player, he wasn't very good at Duke.
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:

How would this look?

Bol
Jeter
Akot
Randolph
Quinerly

Young but lethal.
Switch Bol & Jeter, Jeter can't play the 4.

But I honestly see Jeter as a bench player, he wasn't very good at Duke. Lee or 'reef start at the 4.
I hear you on Jeter, but there's been a renewed buzz about him lately. Maybe he needed a change of scenery? Maybe Duke wasn't the best fit? The guy was considered a 5-star out of HS, so the talent is there. He just has to polish his game and learn his role. I'd be a little surprised if Jeter isn't starting next year. He'll be one of the older guys on our roster.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Pinder & Smith will also be one of the older guys on the roster, but they won't be starting
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:Pinder & Smith will also be one of the older guys on the roster, but they won't be starting
True. I guess we'll just have to see how far along Jeter is next summer. We've seen plenty of highly rated guys never quite become the player we expected. Jeter doesn't need to be an offensive star; we've got lots of fire power next year. He just needs to be a smart, strong defensive presence and rebounder.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

How would this look?

Bol
Jeter
Akot
Randolph
Quinerly

Young but lethal.
I would love this result.
loomer

Post by loomer »

How would this look?

Bol
Jeter
Akot
Randolph
Quinerly

Young but lethal.
You must have not seen Jeter at Duke.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

loomer wrote:

How would this look?

Bol
Jeter
Akot
Randolph
Quinerly

Young but lethal.
Sure I did. We all did. He didn't have a good year. He didn't seem to fit into whatever they were doing. But I don't think this means he's destined to be a bench player. Obviously CSM thinks enough of him to offer him a roster spot. Now it's up to CJ.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Main Event wrote:I'm thinking we get one of Barrett or Little, we have a lot of momentum right now
I'd bet on Little. Barrett has UK written all over him. I could see him at Kansas too.
He cut Kansas
loomer

Post by loomer »

Beachcat97 wrote:
loomer wrote:

How would this look?

Bol
Jeter
Akot
Randolph
Quinerly

Young but lethal.
Sure I did. We all did. He didn't have a good year. He didn't seem to fit into whatever they were doing. But I don't think this means he's destined to be a bench player. Obviously CSM thinks enough of him to offer him a roster spot. Now it's up to CJ.
He couldn't get off the bench his freshman year even with Jefferson hurt and Duke having no post presence. It's a low risk move from Sean by taking a former 5 star recruit and hoping he turns it around. Sorry if I'm not optimistic.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

loomer wrote:He couldn't get off the bench his freshman year even with Jefferson hurt and Duke having no post presence. It's a low risk move from Sean by taking a former 5 star recruit and hoping he turns it around. Sorry if I'm not optimistic.
You're right: low risk move. In terms of size next year, we'll have Lee, Pinder, O'Neal, and possibly Bol. Akot is also 6'8. So you add Jeter to this group, and we're getting -- at worst -- a low-minutes bench player who can defend opposing bigs and grab a few boards. Obviously if Jeter becomes a star, or even just good, we're in great shape. If he falls short of this, we've got other options.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I tend to lean towards a starting lineup of :

Quinerly
Randolph
Little
Akot
Bol

Bench : Williams , lee , reef, jeter, pinder (after RS), barcello, smith, pick-a-traditional-transfer

Back-to-back FFs??
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PennZona20 wrote:I tend to lean towards a starting lineup of :

Quinerly
Randolph
Little
Akot
Bol

Bench : Williams , lee , reef, jeter, pinder (after RS), barcello, smith, pick-a-traditional-transfer

Back-to-back FFs??
Crazy to imagine all these 5-stars coming off the bench!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Quinerly
Randolph
Little
Akot
Bol

Back-to-back FFs??
Not for me. I would like:

Quinerly
Randolph
Akot
Open competition between Lee, Shareef and Jeter.
Bol

I see no reason to RS Pinder. Williams, Smith, any wing addition, and whoever the two losers of the PF competition are off the bench.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Quinerly
Randolph
Little
Akot
Bol

Back-to-back FFs??

Quinerly
Randolph
Akot
Bol

I see no reason to RS Pinder. Williams, Smith, any wing addition, and whoever the two losers of the PF competition are off the bench.

I guess it's not a guarantee Little starts if he comes here but best believe Barrett will if he does. And Randolph and bol and akot will as well so reef, chase, and lee will all come off bench. I'd much rather go small and athletic which we will be able to do w Bol protecting the rim. This is assuming, of course, we close class w bol and little/Barrett which is a tad optimistic but probably more likely than not.

As far as Pinder I don't really see the need to RS either but That's the scuttlebutt going around. Whether it's this year or next his role will be about the same which is energy post guy to provide a spark off bench.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Not for me. I would like:

Quinerly
Randolph
Akot
Bol

Yeah. Assuming Akot is back and Randolph lives up to expectations, it seems like 4 of our 5 starting spots are locked down. Oh, and assuming Bol commits.

Is Little good enough to start as a freshman?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Not for me. I would like:

Quinerly
Randolph
Akot
Bol

Yeah. Assuming Akot is back and Randolph lives up to expectations, it seems like 4 of our 5 starting spots are locked down. Oh, and assuming Bol commits.

Is Little good enough to start as a freshman?

Yes he is. Not a lock though if our lineup ends up that loaded. Barrett however is a lock to start no matter where he goes. He's that type of transcendent talent. He destroyed team USA by himself.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So we could see a Little v. Akot battle for the 3 spot. That would be a fantastic "problem" to have!
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Yeah. Or u slide Akot down to the 4 and play small to get the most talented 5 on the floor. Which u can do w Bol protecting the rim.

It's fun to think about the possibilities w that much theoretical talent. If a guy like Little, ONeal, Jeter, or Lee are coming off the bench it is a wonderful problem to have. They are all going to get plenty of run.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

If I know Sean Miller he'd start a more traditional 4 man, but move Akot over to the 4 in a small man lineup, leaving Little as the 6th man.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Quinerly
Randolph
Little
Akot
Bol

Back-to-back FFs??

Quinerly
Randolph
Akot
Bol

I guess it's not a guarantee Little starts if he comes here but best believe Barrett will if he does. And Randolph and bol and akot will as well so reef, chase, and lee will all come off bench. I'd much rather go small and athletic which we will be able to do w Bol protecting the rim. This is assuming, of course, we close class w bol and little/Barrett which is a tad optimistic but probably more likely than not.

As far as Pinder I don't really see the need to RS either but That's the scuttlebutt going around. Whether it's this year or next his role will be about the same which is energy post guy to provide a spark off bench.
I agree Barrett's not going to come off the bench. My prediction was based in the idea we're not getting him. If he and Bol came, I do think we would go Quinerly/Randolph/Akot/Barrett/Bol and play smaller.

I really only see value in redshirting KP if we miss on Bol and have a Jeter/Lee/Shareef trio that needs some depth. If we have Bol plus those 3, we're looking at a 4 deep rotation plus Akot being able to rotate to the 4 if we need minutes. This year, we have Ayton and Dusan solidly there, but less certainty after that. I just think we're more likely to need that extra flexibility this year.

With Little, I think he would be similar to Akot and Randolph this year. Talented, but behind returners and able to spend a year as an apprentice. He isn't like Barrett, who has to play.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I don't think we're getting Barrett. It's fine to dream. But I'm not really factoring him into these '18 lineup scenarios.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

ChooChooCat wrote:If I know Sean Miller he'd start a more traditional 4 man, but move Akot over to the 4 in a small man lineup, leaving Little as the 6th man.
I don't get this Akot to PF stuff. He's not that big. He is 6'6'' and not overly thick/strong. iirc that Little dude is pretty built and would do better. Sure in small instances Akot could play PF because 6'8'' wings are probably the least common thing in college basketball and a lot of teams go super small because they are way more 6'4'' dudes good at basketball than 6'9'' or bigger but Akot doesn't seem to me like a prototypical small ball 4 where he can guard any type of PF and rebound and help protect the paint maybe like someone like Ray Smith/Aaron Gordon/Rondae could. And those dudes were still SFs on our team.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:I don't think we're getting Barrett. It's fine to dream. But I'm not really factoring him into these '18 lineup scenarios.
https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/ken ... tu-updates" target="_blank

Evan Daniels:
“In terms of favorites on that list, I think it’s kind of early, but Arizona and Duke have done a really good job of recruiting him,” Daniels said. “I’d hate to say there are favorites, but if I was going to guess, I’d say those two are maybe out front right now. There’s a long way to go, though, and he’s in the process of setting up visits. I think those are coming very soon, and the recruitment will really take shape from there
If Zion Williamson goes to UK & Reddish goes to Duke (likely), Arizona has a shot. (Yes I know Barrett isn't scared of anyone).

I'm not saying we're getting him but it isn't as unfathomable as some believe.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SunnyAZ wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:If I know Sean Miller he'd start a more traditional 4 man, but move Akot over to the 4 in a small man lineup, leaving Little as the 6th man.
I don't get this Akot to PF stuff. He's not that big. He is 6'6'' and not overly thick/strong. iirc that Little dude is pretty built and would do better. Sure in small instances Akot could play PF because 6'8'' wings are probably the least common thing in college basketball and a lot of teams go super small because they are way more 6'4'' dudes good at basketball than 6'9'' or bigger but Akot doesn't seem to me like a prototypical small ball 4 where he can guard any type of PF and rebound and help protect the paint maybe like someone like Ray Smith/Aaron Gordon/Rondae could. And those dudes were still SFs on our team.
He's an option, but I'd rather see Shareef, Lee or Jeter establish themselves and make that point. We can go small if needed, but it would be better for a legit PF to emerge.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I don't think we're getting Barrett. It's fine to dream. But I'm not really factoring him into these '18 lineup scenarios.
https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/ken ... tu-updates" target="_blank

Evan Daniels:
“In terms of favorites on that list, I think it’s kind of early, but Arizona and Duke have done a really good job of recruiting him,” Daniels said. “I’d hate to say there are favorites, but if I was going to guess, I’d say those two are maybe out front right now. There’s a long way to go, though, and he’s in the process of setting up visits. I think those are coming very soon, and the recruitment will really take shape from there
If Zion Williamson goes to UK & Reddish goes to Duke (likely), Arizona has a shot. (Yes I know Barrett isn't scared of anyone).

I'm not saying we're getting him but it isn't as unfathomable as some believe.
True. You never know how the dominoes are gonna fall. I think the possibility of a Bol/Barrett class is just too much for my skull to hold.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I don't think Zion is a SF a tall fwiw.

I think one of Duke/Kentucky gets Reddish and Barrett.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:
He's an option, but I'd rather see Shareef, Lee or Jeter establish themselves and make that point. We can go small if needed, but it would be better for a legit PF to emerge.
I don't see a world where Jeter is ever anything at Arizona other than center. Reef has to want to be a 4 and while I love many things about Lee it's just a matter if he's a real starter at this level, I guess we'll see.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

NYCat wrote:Nassir Little tells Espn his official visit schedule: Georgia Tech-August 25-27, North Carolina-Sept 8-10, Miami- 15-17, Arizona-October 26-28 . He is still in the process of setting up a visit to Duke. Little sits at no.36 in the Espn 100.
Arizona (Oct. 27): “For a program with that prestige that has been as dominant as they have to show that much attention really says a lot to me. I love the comparison of me to Stanley Johnson because he was a one-and-done, top 10 pick. He’s done that with my position multiple times, so that’s something really stood out to me.”
Kinda sucks that's it's after the red blue game
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I definitely see the SJ comparison. Not sure if Little is as well rounded, though.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I've heard Red/Blue and the weekend after for Little's visit. I still have no idea when exactly he's truly visiting at this point lol. Either way I have my doubts that Duke visit happens.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:I've heard Red/Blue and the weekend after for Little's visit. I still have no idea when exactly he's truly visiting at this point lol. Either way I have my doubts that Duke visit happens.
Apparently this is his dad and says they will be there for red/blue
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Good, he'll get the full feel and full court press from the commits.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jon Rothstein says Reid will be committing to LSU as early as this weekend.
az91

Post by az91 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Jon Rothstein says Reid will be committing to LSU as early as this weekend.
Hmm, at least we don't have to worry about a repeat of the Craig Victor fiasco.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

R.J. Barrett visiting September 21-23.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Jon Rothstein says Reid will be committing to LSU as early as this weekend.
So the weekend visit to LSU has come and gone without a commitment? Maybe he is wisely still considering taking an Arizona visit before he makes such a huge decision?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
So the weekend visit to LSU has come and gone without a commitment? Maybe he is wisely still considering taking an Arizona visit before he makes such a huge decision?
I'm hoping Quinerly is in his ear working him. He would be a great addition if we can land him
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

All things equal, why would anyone pick LSU over AZ? Shaq is the most famous LSU alum of all time, and even his son chose AZ.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:All things equal, why would anyone pick LSU over AZ? Shaq is the most famous LSU alum of all time, and even his son chose AZ.
Will Wade has been recruiting very well since taking over there and Reid's girlfriend goes there. Add in that we have Shareef and Lee at close to his size and skill set...it's not crazy by any means.

I'd rather close out our post rotation with Bol, but we'll see.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:All things equal, why would anyone pick LSU over AZ? Shaq is the most famous LSU alum of all time, and even his son chose AZ.
Will Wade has been recruiting very well since taking over there and Reid's girlfriend goes there. Add in that we have Shareef and Lee at close to his size and skill set...it's not crazy by any means.

Naz Reid is an absurd talent. He's big enough at 6'10" with a 7'3" wingspan and 250lbs to play C for us, but he's got a Kevin Durant-like skill set that he likes to work in space as a forward. So yeah, not sure we're a great fit with Lee and O'Neal already looking for those PF minutes.

Reid is also pretty focused on going to the NBA ASAP, so he may see advantage in a higher usage opportunity with LSU. Reid's spoken in interviews about the responsibility that he feels to take care of his family (who are from a really rough area of NJ). And yeah like you said his girlfriend is currently a freshman on the LSU women's basketball team.

Bol Bol is basically a Monstar and he'd the crown jewel of the class for the Cats. But if we couldn't land Bol Bol I'd be very very happy with Reid coming and dominating in the paint to complete a rotation of Jeter, Lee, and O'Neal.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Reid dogged Rothstein on Twitter for that speculation, calling him out for taking a 50/50 guess. We'll get our September 8th visit.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I've seen some say his visit to Arizona was never finalized, so will be interesting to see if he ever makes it on campus.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Naz Reid is an absurd talent. He's big enough at 6'10" with a 7'3" wingspan and 250lbs to play C for us, but he's got a Kevin Durant-like skill set that he likes to work in space as a forward. So yeah, not sure we're a great fit with Lee and O'Neal already looking for those PF minutes.

Reid is also pretty focused on going to the NBA ASAP, so he may see advantage in a higher usage opportunity with LSU. Reid's spoken in interviews about the responsibility that he feels to take care of his family (who are from a really rough area of NJ). And yeah like you said his girlfriend is currently a freshman on the LSU women's basketball team.

Bol Bol is basically a Monstar and he'd the crown jewel of the class for the Cats. But if we couldn't land Bol Bol I'd be very very happy with Reid coming and dominating in the paint to complete a rotation of Jeter, Lee, and O'Neal.
I mean, it's not like I wouldn't take Reid. I just think LSU has a significant advantage and Bol is the bigger target who easily fits our roster. If Reid wanted to come here before Bol decides, I'd obviously take him. It's not like you can't play two guys who are more naturally pf's as a pf/c in college.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: I mean, it's not like I wouldn't take Reid. I just think LSU has a significant advantage and Bol is the bigger target who easily fits our roster. If Reid wanted to come here before Bol decides, I'd obviously take him. It's not like you can't play two guys who are more naturally pf's as a pf/c in college.
Agreed. I was intending to reiterate your statement and expand on it.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

1. Barrett
3. Bol
5. Little
19. Reid
22. Quinerly
27. O'Neal
51. Williams