Lauri Markkanen

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: Lauri Markkanen

Post by YoDeFoe »

Not knocking the kid - will always love him. Just... still hurts.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Kid could have gone and got the ball, just saying
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Well Markaanen was a freshman last year, and there is only one chief in every tribe.

The consensus here was that Zo should always be the guy with the ball in his hands down the stretch. He apparently agreed. And complied.

Now we blame LM because deferred to the heromost wanted playing hero ball? But since it didn't work, we blame him?

Okay.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Lauri balled again today. Hit a Kobe fadeaway, best move I've ever seen him make.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Harvey Specter wrote:Well Markaanen was a freshman last year, and there is only one chief in every tribe.

The consensus here was that Zo should always be the guy with the ball in his hands down the stretch. He apparently agreed. And complied.

Now we blame LM because deferred to the heromost wanted playing hero ball? But since it didn't work, we blame him?

Okay.
One guy playing hero ball doesn't excuse another from playing poorly. Too passively in this case.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkAX0i8rLZw&t

Lauri has been crazy good in Eurobasket.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SunnyAZ wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkAX0i8rLZw&t

Bulls twitter feed has been all Lauri, all the time. People are starting to talk about him and not just about "the trade".
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Lauri probably would've been the greatest sophomore in the program's history.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkAX0i8rLZw&t

Bulls twitter feed has been all Lauri, all the time. People are starting to talk about him and not just about "the trade".
Kid is a special, special talent. I hope the Bulls nurture what he can do. You just don't find 7 footers with that much natural shooting ability. You can become a better shooter, but you can't teach the sort of stroke Lauri has.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Raw highlights of Lauri almost singlehandedly taking Poland down.

https://youtu.be/LSg8Dxd-xlM" target="_blank
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Raw highlights of Lauri almost singlehandedly taking Poland down.

https://youtu.be/LSg8Dxd-xlM" target="_blank
God damn do I love watching him play basketball. I'm truly going to miss it, and will certainly catch more Bulls games in the future just to see him grow.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Beachcat97 wrote:Lauri probably would've been the greatest sophomore in the program's history.
Better than 20 and 8 with 57% from three? That's pretty debateable.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Puerco wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Lauri probably would've been the greatest sophomore in the program's history.
Better than 20 and 8 with 57% from three? That's pretty debateable.
Yeah I dismissed that comment immediately. Hard to have a sophomore season like Dwill had no matter who you are. Especially on the type of loaded teams we've had the last 5 years or so.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not to diminish what DWill did, he did not have the supporting teammates what LM would have had. After DWill, the next highest scorer was Momo.

57% 3 point shooting was not really Steve Kerr-ish either, shooting 1.9 per game. :D

So yes, DWill would have had better stats, since no one is going to score 20 on a loaded team as UA has this year, although Trier may come close. Just one ball, and a lot of elite players.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Not to diminish what DWill did, he did not have the supporting teammates what LM would have had. After DWill, the next highest scorer was Momo.

57% 3 point shooting was not really Steve Kerr-ish either, shooting 1.9 per game. :D

So yes, DWill would have had better stats, since no one is going to score 20 on a loaded team as UA has this year, although Trier may come close. Just one ball, and a lot of elite players.
For what it's worth, Sean Elliott and Mike Bibby were also pretty good as sophs too. If we're projecting, Aaron Gordon would have been unreal in almost all areas as a soph.

What I'm saying is that it's a crowded list.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Merkin wrote:Not to diminish what DWill did, he did not have the supporting teammates what LM would have had. After DWill, the next highest scorer was Momo.

So how could you grade someone as the likely greatest sophomore in our history in those circumstances?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

The same way you knock a kid for going to the NBA and talk shit about him when he does.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

https://youtu.be/PnV4hP5y6n4" target="_blank

Latest Lauri highlights. Still killing people in FIBA.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If he actually looked like that, he'd be required to grow a beard and embody the second century Roman emperor Lucius Verus.

gumby

Post by gumby »

Those fingers are chilling.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Apparently Nike's new form fitting jersey template did not work out for Lauri. Or he got the Oliver Miller size.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

whatisee wrote:The same way you knock a kid for going to the NBA and talk shit about him when he does.
The hell are you talking about? Link please or shut the hell up.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Puerco wrote:
whatisee wrote:The same way you knock a kid for going to the NBA and talk shit about him when he does.
How about a big dose of go fuck yourself. Whatever problem you have me with me get over it. Look at your last 3 posts in this thread.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

whatisee wrote:
Puerco wrote:
How about a big dose of go fuck yourself. Whatever problem you have me with me get over it. Look at your last 3 posts in this thread.
Me saying Lauri played too passively in his last game and would probably not have had as impactful a sophomore season as Derrick Williams is 'talking shit about him'? Jesus. And for the record, Lauri going to the League was a no-brainer, and I've never knocked him for it. So yeah, I do have a problem with you when you make up a pack of lies and act like they're something I said, wrote, or felt.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Highlights from Lauri tearing up the Cavs:

https://youtu.be/2gF7tqzKxps" target="_blank
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Holy shit, that was fun to watch!
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Puerco wrote:Holy shit, that was fun to watch!
Lauri has a very viable ROY opportunity considering how the bulls have lost all their leaders. Lost in all the hype of of the guards in this draft class is the fact that Lauri was basically the best 3-pt shooting 7-footer in NCAA history.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Lauri vs the Raptors:

https://youtu.be/VuQ9fUNlqWI" target="_blank

Bonus Aaron Gordon dropping 27/11 on the Spurs. Aaron has looked really good this preseason.

https://youtu.be/KZWYFNF5q7g" target="_blank

That channel has a ton of good NBA highlights that let you follow ex-Cats.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

"I'm not here for sightseeing, I'm trying to get ready for work tomorrow"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH8XuAEsshg" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Lauri still doesn't force anything. Teams are going to learn very quickly they can't leave him open and he needs to start driving for more options. He's going to have a great season, dare I say better than Lonzo...
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Lauri vs the Raptors:

Bonus Aaron Gordon dropping 27/11 on the Spurs. Aaron has looked really good this preseason.

Looks like this may be AG's coming out season. I have read several articles whose authors feel that way too, have seen him pop up on several people's lists as the favorite to win the most improved player award, and I guess he spent time in the offseason working with a sports psychologist to help with the mental side of his shooting. Looks like it's paying off so far, that kid is going to be a killer if he can knock down 3's at a high enough clip to keep defenders somewhat honest. It's cool that Kobi and Kadeem made the Grizzlies and Celtics rosters via their 2-way contracts too. Kobi looked to have an excellent preseason, shot VERY well. Stanley is shooting the ball much better and one journalist feels he too may be a guy who takes a huge jump.

This class truly is loaded (can you believe the preseason Kyle Kuzma had? holy shit), so just being a first team all rookie selection would be a great accomplishment for Lauri. Have a feeling Josh Jackson is going to be ROY.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:

Looks like this may be AG's coming out season. I have read several articles whose authors feel that way too, have seen him pop up on several people's lists as the favorite to win the most improved player award, and I guess he spent time in the offseason working with a sports psychologist to help with the mental side of his shooting. Looks like it's paying off so far, that kid is going to be a killer if he can knock down 3's at a high enough clip to keep defenders somewhat honest. It's cool that Kobi and Kadeem made the Grizzlies and Celtics rosters via their 2-way contracts too. Kobi looked to have an excellent preseason, shot VERY well. Stanley is shooting the ball much better and one journalist feels he too may be a guy who takes a huge jump.

This class truly is loaded (can you believe the preseason Kyle Kuzma had? holy shit), so just being a first team all rookie selection would be a great accomplishment for Lauri. Have a feeling Josh Jackson is going to be ROY.
It looks like the Magic are finally ready to run a smaller lineup and let Aaron be a quick 4. This is huge for his development, IMO. They weren't doing him any favors by shoehorning him into the SF role. Small, positionless ball is the rage, and Aaron fits that perfectly as a run and jump 4. His shooting might not be great for a 3, but as a smaller 4, it looks a lot better.

He has been steadily improving, which is no shock if you consider what everyone thinks of AG's work ethic.

This rookie class has a lot of exciting talents. Smith, Ball, Jackson and Tatum would be my big 4 for ROY. I think Tatum is the most ready, but has the smallest available role. Smith, Ball and Jackson are all presumptive starters who will get the keys all the way. This is a really, really loaded class even before you get to surprises like Kuzma.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Holy shit, you mean Aargon Gordon isnt a 3? Who could have guessed? Wait, he shouldnt be running PNRs? Wow! He shouldnt be sharing the floor with two other bigs!?

Also, I love me some Dennis Smith. I bought in big on him.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:Holy shit, you mean Aargon Gordon isnt a 3? Who could have guessed? Wait, he shouldnt be running PNRs? Wow! He shouldnt be sharing the floor with two other bigs!?

Hey man, be cool, I'm agreeing with you! :lol:

Yeah, it should be glaringly obvious that Aaron's best pro role was as a Draymond Green style "big." I'm not sure why the Magic were so hesitant to go that direction given their roster. Vucevic is their only decent big. Then you get to a bunch of tweeners.

Smith is a crazy athlete. He has Derrick Rose pre-injury potential, IMO. If he can iron out the kinks in his J, no one is going to stop him off the dribble. He got so lost compared to Fultz, Ball and Fox, but I wouldn't be shocked if he wound up the best of them.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Holy shit, you mean Aargon Gordon isnt a 3? Who could have guessed? Wait, he shouldnt be running PNRs? Wow! He shouldnt be sharing the floor with two other bigs!?

Hey man, be cool, I'm agreeing with you! :lol:

Yeah, it should be glaringly obvious that Aaron's best pro role was as a Draymond Green style "big." I'm not sure why the Magic were so hesitant to go that direction given their roster. Vucevic is their only decent big. Then you get to a bunch of tweeners.

Smith is a crazy athlete. He has Derrick Rose pre-injury potential, IMO. If he can iron out the kinks in his J, no one is going to stop him off the dribble. He got so lost compared to Fultz, Ball and Fox, but I wouldn't be shocked if he wound up the best of them.
Sorry, didnt mean that at you, rather the entire Magic front office! Although, Gordon deserves some of the blame too. Hes been trying to prove hes a 3 since HS.

-Shane Battier
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Lauri should get way more minutes now! Nikola injured and Bobby should be suspended by the Bulls.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

hospitalized? good lord.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

-Shane Battier
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Looks like Lauri is starting...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

It looks like the Magic are finally ready to run a smaller lineup and let Aaron be a quick 4. This is huge for his development, IMO. They weren't doing him any favors by shoehorning him into the SF role. Small, positionless ball is the rage, and Aaron fits that perfectly as a run and jump 4. His shooting might not be great for a 3, but as a smaller 4, it looks a lot better.

He has been steadily improving, which is no shock if you consider what everyone thinks of AG's work ethic.

This rookie class has a lot of exciting talents. Smith, Ball, Jackson and Tatum would be my big 4 for ROY. I think Tatum is the most ready, but has the smallest available role. Smith, Ball and Jackson are all presumptive starters who will get the keys all the way. This is a really, really loaded class even before you get to surprises like Kuzma.
Well, now that Gordon Hayward's leg snapped in half, I revise my statement about Tatum's role.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:Looks like Lauri is starting...
Confirmed by Hoiberg. He’ll start at the 4.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Lauri would start for most NBA teams, I gotta think.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Lauri would start for most NBA teams, I gotta think.
definitely not, he wasn't even gonna start on the Bulls who are in discussion for worst team in the league
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

There are 4 NBA games going right now, and every one features at least one ex-Cat and one Sean Miller product.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

TucsonClip wrote:
Christ. Portis doesn't know when a guy has had enuff?
Zero

Post by Zero »

The Lauri Legend reign begins tonight!
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

14 an 8 so far for Lauri. Once he got comfortable he started playing well, dropped 11 in the 3rd quarter. And Ibaka has been guarding him the whole time. Wish Rondo was on the team tho, their guards suck and never pass.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SunnyAZ wrote:14 an 8 so far for Lauri. Once he got comfortable he started playing well, dropped 11 in the 3rd quarter. And Ibaka has been guarding him the whole time. Wish Rondo was on the team tho, their guards suck and never pass.
Ended up 17 & 8.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Already funny watching a lot of these twitter idiots eating their words. One dude was nitpicking at Lauri's FG% for the game (42%) - 17 pts on 12 FGA means he gives you 1.42 points per attempt. The only Bull or Raptor who logged more than 20 minutes on the floor and gave more was Kyle Lowry and CJ Miles, the latter having one of the better games of his career.