2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by NYCat »

Pjc is going to get torched by Brunson, Sexton, Hands. Might have to run Trier as the lead guard.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

NYCat wrote:Pjc is going to get torched by Brunson, Sexton, Hands. Might have to run Trier as the lead guard.
He just needs to play smart. PJC has to understand the enormous amount of talent playing behind him. He can't gamble unnecessarily and put defenders like Ayton in position to pick up silly fouls because the point guard could stop his man. That said, PJC needs to also understand that he can exploit his position as the "5th option" on the floor. Opponents won't give him much respect because they'll be focusing on Arizona's other more talented players and scheming as such. PJC needs to put himself in position to make positive plays when the opposition chooses to leave him alone.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jefe wrote:We have surrounded him with more talent than he has ever seen. An 8:1 A/T ratio should be a breeze for him in the non-conference.
That is wildly optimistic, although PJC is noted for looking his best against the shakier opponents.
Sorry, Spiff. Gotta call BS on this one. While the stat sheet doesn't necessarily reflect it, PJC played very well vs. UCLA and Oregon in the Pac tourney. Made some big shots. I think he started figuring some things out late last year, so all we can do is hope this carries over into the new season. We need him to be consistent. He doesn't have to average a lot of points, but at least 5 assist/game would be nice.
Look, PJC seems like a nice kid, but he averaged 6 ppg and 2.5 apg vs UCLA and Oregon in those games.

I feel bad for him. His limits are majorly based on stuff beyond his control. He is ok for a role player. As a starter...well, we start a senior PG and 2 soph wings on the perimeter. The guy we're hoping has figured it out and won't be a liability is the senior PG. It isn't fair to PJC, but when you are a preseadon #1, hoping for the best is not what you want or need.
Senior PG, Soph wing, and Junior wing.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think BR is going to surprise people. He's not really on the national radar, but he already showed in Spain a glimpse of what he can do. Having that guard depth is going to be huge.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Why is he passing? Could the next guy possibly have an easier matchup?
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think my body type just got disparaged.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote: Why is he passing? Could the next guy possibly have an easier matchup?
I don't know, maybe the guy with freakishly short arms who needs to drop 50 lb is a lockdown defender. Stop with your stereotyping.

Edit: It is sort of impressive that a guy who is physically John Belushi from Animal House is even that close to Akot to begin with.
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I mean, even I can blow by Gabe Kaplan.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UMBC = University of Maryland, Baltimore County

Had to look it up.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CBS Sports Network, lol fricken MWC tv contract.

We can't get any of our non-conference games on regular ESPN? Really?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:CBS Sports Network, lol fricken MWC tv contract.

Battle for Atlantis should be on ESPN. Not that it changes the general ineffectiveness of Scott in getting national coverage for Pac teams.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Battle for Atlantis should be on ESPN. Not that it changes the general ineffectiveness of Scott in getting national coverage for Pac teams.
So now we blame Larry Scott and others besides ourselves for scheduling UNLV?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

lol. I barely had time to refresh once before I saw machina's post here. and it is almost word for word exactly what I expected. :roll:
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Machina must be related to Larry Scott...or Larry owns stock in the Arcadia Tavern.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Please tell me how Larry Scott is involved in the MWC TV Deal in any way tough guy

Or the decision to schedule UNLV at UNLV
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Pending survival of Imperial Arena.

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2017/sep ... e-hurrica/" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:Please tell me how Larry Scott is involved in the MWC TV Deal in any way tough guy

We have a home and home series with UNLV. There aren't many semi-legit programs in the West to play. We are playing the best non-Pac western teams regularly in Zaga, Boise, UNLV and New Mexico.

Why is this a problem for you? Oregon is at Fresno State and we have a legit home slate with Bama and Uconn.

Larry Scott sucks.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Please tell me how Larry Scott is involved in the MWC TV Deal in any way tough guy

We have a home and home series with UNLV. There aren't many semi-legit programs in the West to play. We are playing the best non-Pac western teams regularly in Zaga, Boise, UNLV and New Mexico.

Why is this a problem for you? Oregon is at Fresno State and we have a legit home slate with Bama and Uconn.

Larry Scott sucks.
I have no problem with playing UNLV or any of those other schools mentioned. And I have been very clear that I think Larry Scott sucks also and is awful at his job and I am stunned beyond belief he was given an extension recently.

But I do think the blaming Larry Scott for every single thing is pathetic and makes U of A fans look awful and gives us a bad reputation.

Larry Scott did not make UA schedule UNLV and he did not make the MWC TV Deal. So why would you blame him for having a game on CBS Sports Network as is the way everything is done (home team's conference TV deal).

I am sure the booing he received helped U of A in scheduling......Last year no 3 day road trips, this year there are two
gumby

Post by gumby »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Larry Scott sucks.
I have no problem with playing UNLV or any of those other schools mentioned. And I have been very clear that I think Larry Scott sucks also and is awful at his job and I am stunned beyond belief he was given an extension recently.

But I do think the blaming Larry Scott for every single thing is pathetic and makes U of A fans look awful and gives us a bad reputation.

Larry Scott did not make UA schedule UNLV and he did not make the MWC TV Deal. So why would you blame him for having a game on CBS Sports Network as is the way everything is done (home team's conference TV deal).

I am sure the booing he received helped U of A in scheduling......Last year no 3 day road trips, this year there are two
Don't think it registers much at all. Just inside the bubble. Venture out.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I have never heard anyone do as much hand wringing over how our fan base is perceived as machina. It is a weird obsession/complex to have.
gumby

Post by gumby »

mind blown, right?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Since when does the UNLV game speak for the entire OOC schedule? We play A&M, UCONN, and Bama. None are on regular espn. That's the issue man.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Larry Scott has reasons and a plan for everything he does.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

At least CBS sports is easier to get on TV than the PAC 12 network. At this point we'd have far more exposure if all our games were on CBS sports than we do now.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:At least CBS sports is easier to get on TV than the PAC 12 network. At this point we'd have far more exposure if all our games were on CBS sports than we do now.
Yeah if those were home games for us the New Mexico game would for sure be on Pac-12 Network and UNLV is a toss up. Playing those two on the road this year is a better situation for the fans who want to watch them.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

but according to machina it is the fault of the bad fan that we have a shit tv coverage. not the conference commissioner.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm just curious what games will be going on during our A&M and Bama games that we couldn't even get on regular ESPN.

Both games feature matchups with each team having a lottery player. Ayton vs. Robert Williams and Ayton's team vs. Collin Sexton's team. Those two games are perfect for showcasing what ESPN particularly loves to showcase. I assume some Duke or Kentucky game will be on ESPN instead during those times.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

How the fuck does USC v Arizona, UCLA v Arizona, and Arizona v Oregon at or after 11:00pm EST make any sense at all.

ESPN shouldn't be able to own our marquee games if they're going to slot them into times that remove the East Coast from viewership. We're getting absolutely fucked in exposure.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

YoDeFoe wrote:How the fuck does USC v Arizona, UCLA v Arizona, and Arizona v Oregon at or after 11:00pm EST make any sense at all.

ESPN shouldn't be able to own our marquee games if they're going to slot them into times that remove the East Coast from viewership. We're getting absolutely fucked in exposure.
You dont get to take ESPN's money and tell them how they get to distribute their product.

Would you rather have the PAC-12 go heavier with the PAC-12 Network or more games on FS1 and get less money from ESPN so that less eyeballs will be tuned in?

Just have to understand that being on the West Coast this will always happen no matter what unless you do not deal with ESPN. ESPN does what is best for them since they spend the money and from every aspect except for PAC-12 fans satisfaction it makes sense to have these games later.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Also does it make a difference for ESPN2 vs regular ESPN?

I never watch the game on ESPN if I like the matchup better on ESPN2
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'm just curious what games will be going on during our A&M and Bama games that we couldn't even get on regular ESPN.

Both games feature matchups with each team having a lottery player. Ayton vs. Robert Williams and Ayton's team vs. Collin Sexton's team. Those two games are perfect for showcasing what ESPN particularly loves to showcase. I assume some Duke or Kentucky game will be on ESPN instead during those times.
Not sure yet why Texas A&M is ESPN2 but for Alabama there are ACC Conference games that day so that is why ESPN2 vs ESPN. UCONN will have bowl games on ESPN so makes sense for ESPN2
gumby

Post by gumby »

There was a time I cared about all these details. Good riddance.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yeah cause uofa fans are a regional distribution?

I'm pissed for east coast cats fans that have to deal with this scheduling ineptitude
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Yeah cause uofa fans are a regional distribution?

I'm pissed for east coast cats fans that have to deal with this scheduling ineptitude
How is it inept? You want ESPN to leave money on the table? You want ESPN to do us favors just because when it doesn't make fiscal sense for them? Should UA move to the Big Ten or Big 12 to get tips a little bit better?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

You're such a weird dude.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

Machina was that really dumb kid who covered up his school work vigorously, even though nobody was going to be peeking in. Just needlessly dweeby and excessively bitchy.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Utah & Colorado home/away games only 19 days apart
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:Utah & Colorado home/away games only 19 days apart
Wow didn't even notice that one, that's interesting. 4 of our games in January are against those schools.

Another interesting thing is playing ASU once again at home when the students are out of town. Now obviously we don't need the student section's support to slam these fools in Tucson repeatedly, but it seems like this is a yearly occurrence. Am I imagining things? If I'm not then why is a game that the students would enjoy more than most for obvious reasons always scheduled when they wouldn't be in town for it? It's not as if our student section ever harasses anybody. Just a weird decision.

Edit: I looked it up and it's only happened twice in the past 6 seasons, so this would be 3 out of 7. Every one disregard! :lol:
prh

Post by prh »

Choo did you only look at the times we've hosted asu over break? I believe they have hosted us a few times. I don't know why the league is hellbent on having rivalry games over Christmas break.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:Choo did you only look at the times we've hosted asu over break? I believe they have hosted us a few times. I don't know why the league is hellbent on having rivalry games over Christmas break.
Good point, here's the first matchup of the year between AZ & ASU since the Pac-12 formed:

2011-2012: December 31st - Check
2012-2013: January 19th
2013-2014: January 16th
2014-2015: January 4th - Check
2015-2016: January 3rd - Check
2016-2017: January 12th
2017-2018: December 30th - Check

I was unsure about last year, but were students back by the 12th? Either way it occurs way too regularly for my liking.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:

How is it inept? You want ESPN to leave money on the table? You want ESPN to do us favors just because when it doesn't make fiscal sense for them? Should UA move to the Big Ten or Big 12 to get tips a little bit better?
What money are they leaving on the table?

East coast games tip at 6:30-7pm EST on tues and Thursday and sat (acc) and could be done by 9p est. they could tip a cats game at 6 or 630p mst (or 7 and/or 730p due to daylight savings, it's still the same time on the east coast) and grab not only west coast market share of high school, college, and adult college bb fans but east coast fans as well who will have the cats game on to watch or back ground as they are winding down for the night. ESPECIALLY if the cats are as good as they are pegged to be this season; people will watch to check out the competition.

Less likely to do that if tip is at 11p, and one has work or school in the AM.

Again I'm not seeing how this loses money for espn.

Why Do I feel justified in pointing out this problem and offering a solution; I lived it for 2.5 years in EST and watching cats games at all hours of the evening and morning and suffering for it (labor of love) they next day.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

There are no stable programs out West that we can play other than Gonzaga. New Mexico, UTEP, UNLV, SDSU...all of them at one point looked to be trending in the right direction. And then poof! They suck and we're stuck playing a home and home with them the last several years. Same with our scheduling of Missouri. What a hot mess that turned out to be. Before the ink was dry on those OOC contracts, they looked at least promising. All of these programs seem to go off the rails entirely or at least have taken two steps back. It's hard to have a crystal ball when it comes to scheduling OOC opponents. What looks good one year can look pretty bad the next.

Our OOC schedule is decent. And it could be a whole lot better if UNLV & New Mexico stepped up and at least came close to the expectations of their own fan base. The one school out West that would make a good matchup is St. Mary's. But we get nothing out of playing them. We hit the Bay Area during conference season anyway.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Most of these concerns boil down to the fact that--Battle for Atlantis notwithstanding--the near-consensus preseason No. 1 team has zero non-conference tip times earlier than 7 p.m. EST.

Most of the non-cons won't end before 11 p.m. on the East Coast. Haven't seen such late starts from a preseason No. 1 since 1991 UNLV.

Even UCLA gets a nationwide look at least once a year with an early-afternoon tip against Duke, Kentucky or St. John's.

Seems anomalous, but then again I'm that guy who still gets outraged over all the exposure Notre Dame football gets, regardless of suckitude.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

CalStateTempe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

What money are they leaving on the table?

East coast games tip at 6:30-7pm EST on tues and Thursday and sat (acc) and could be done by 9p est. they could tip a cats game at 6 or 630p mst (or 7 and/or 730p due to daylight savings, it's still the same time on the east coast) and grab not only west coast market share of high school, college, and adult college bb fans but east coast fans as well who will have the cats game on to watch or back ground as they are winding down for the night. ESPECIALLY if the cats are as good as they are pegged to be this season; people will watch to check out the competition.

Less likely to do that if tip is at 11p, and one has work or school in the AM.

Again I'm not seeing how this loses money for espn.

Why Do I feel justified in pointing out this problem and offering a solution; I lived it for 2.5 years in EST and watching cats games at all hours of the evening and morning and suffering for it (labor of love) they next day.
I lived it for 10 years. Duke had 17 games on ESPN one season. We had one. We did have UA v. UCLA on a network a couple of times, but those games always got preempted by Maryland vs. Wake Forest or some other compelling matchup of ACC bottom feeders.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

CalStateTempe wrote: Why Do I feel justified in pointing out this problem and offering a solution; I lived it for 2.5 years in EST and watching cats games at all hours of the evening and morning and suffering for it (labor of love) they next day.
I'm preparing for another year of 2, 3, or 4 am start times by getting as much sleep in September and October as possible. Storing those hours now, will profit during the season!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

U of A just does not draw THAT well on a national stage on TV. Of the weeknight games that started between 5-8 Arizona time on the ESPN or Fox families, here are the ratings.

Nov 11 vs Michigan State on ESPN at 5 https://sportstvratings.com/indiana-kan ... 2016/6829/" target="_blank

Jan 12 vs ASU on ESPN2 at 7 https://sportstvratings.com/pistons-war ... 2017/7304/" target="_blank

February 2 vs Oregon State on ESPN2 at 7 https://sportstvratings.com/warriors-cl ... 2017/7477/" target="_blank

February 16 vs Utah on FS1 at 7 https://sportstvratings.com/celtics-bul ... 2017/7575/" target="_blank

ACC and Big Ten always out draw the PAC-12 even at the same time slots.

Wednesday ESPN games need to be on ESPN2 because of the NBA Contract with ESPN
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

bad fan machina. putting down our team.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I wonder what gif library machina uses now? He is learning and growing. I'm surprised he latched on to the gifs and memes so quickly to be honest.

I have never lived on the east coast but it is truly ridiculous that again THE NUMBER 1 PRESEASON TEAM is not shown at all before 7 or 8 pm for any non conf games. Insane.

edit: silly me, i forgot our matchup with UMBC. that is at 6 pm eastern.