Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: let's talk '18

Post by CalStateTempe »

Me three.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

With almost all of the players leaving after this year, a recruiting hit could be devastating.

Only Lee, Barcello, Smith, jeter, Akot, Randolph (?), guaranteed to be on roster if it falls apart.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I will gladly take a couple down years in exchange for Miller being completely cleared. I care much more about the integrity and reputation of the program that Lute built.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

NYCat wrote:
Silent commitment apparently
Tweet deleted but here's the screenshots

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

He also said:

The director of Nassir Little's AAU team is currently in jail, and there's a decent chance Little is among those named in FBI/DOJ complaint.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Hard to imagine Little and Quinerly are eligible to play college.

So now we have Williams, O'Neal. Bol, Shittu still out there.

But good Lord, if Givony is right (which he usually is) we would've had a '18 class of..

Williams, Quinerly, Little, O'Neal, Bol and a strong favorite for Shittu -- godamn
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I feel like throwing up. I gotta turn off the internet for a while.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well our future certainly went to shit. Went from competing for the national title in consecutive seasons to who knows.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Slits wrist
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

YoDeFoe wrote:Spiff caught me mid edit. I posted once and kept diving deeper... I had to go back and post some more :D

One last one:

"I’m not sure there was a better guard from start to finish than that of Jahvon Quinerly. The New Jersey native was a terrific mixture of scoring, passing, rebounding, defense, play-making and leadership. He seemed to get better as the camp progressed while other players seemed to hit their wall."

From this year's NBA Top 100 camp, same camp that Alex Barcello stormed through last year.

This year's competition included Ayo Dosunmu, Immanuel Quickley, Devon Dotson, Courtney Ramey, Anferne Simons and Elijah Weaver. Four and five star players.

Two years now he's been killing it. As a junior he posted 20 points, five assists, three rebounds and two steals for Hudson Catholic HS en route to being named New Jersey’s Gatorade Player of the Year. 20/5/3 is his go-to stat line.

This kid is going to be a breath of fresh air in McKale. I can see why Choo is so confident in him. I share that confidence now.

A backcourt of Quinerly, Barcello, and Williams is almost unfair.
What a difference a day makes.

Fuck.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

'18 should be a good matchup with GCU....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Not to be blase, but we had always been on the outside looking in for Barrett. There's never been a single recruiting analyst who picked him here. Duke and Kentucky are an even split for him.

Basically, we hastened the inevitable with Barrett.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

NYCat wrote:Hard to imagine Little and Quinerly are eligible to play college.

So now we have Williams, O'Neal. Bol, Shittu still out there.

But good Lord, if Givony is right (which he usually is) we would've had a '18 class of..

Williams, Quinerly, Little, O'Neal, Bol and a strong favorite for Shittu -- godamn
Look at the bright side. Think of all the money we'll save.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Not to be blase, but we had always been on the outside looking in for Barrett. There's never been a single recruiting analyst who picked him here. Duke and Kentucky are an even split for him.

We escaped the fluff parade and that's about it. If he was really nice he would've eliminated Oregon publicly as well.

Either way this thread needs an official hold, cause yeah we're not landing anybody any time soon.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:

We escaped the fluff parade and that's about it. If he was really nice he would've eliminated Oregon publicly as well.

Either way this thread needs an official hold, cause yeah we're not landing anybody any time soon.
Is anyone? I can't imagine a recruit committing right now, when most major schools could get destroyed at any second and I have to imagine most schools want a hold so they don't get in on a recruit who the FBI might be looking at.

The landscape will be frozen for a while, IMO.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Seriously. Any kid that commits right now probably isn't smart enough to be in college.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Puerco wrote:Seriously. Any kid that commits right now probably isn't smart enough to be in college.
Unfortunately you just described the majority of college basketball recruits...most of them are not being recruited for our science department...honestly I don't fault them its just the rest of the students in school are generally there for much longer and for a much lower paying job in the end.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:Seriously. Any kid that commits right now probably isn't smart enough to be in college.
If I was not Arizona or Miami, I'd be all over Nassir Little. Of all the players out there, he's one of the least likely to ask you for money, unless he is waaaaay dumber than I would think.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well so far Little has eliminated us and Shittu just cancelled his visit here. 2018 recruiting is in fact DEAD.

Overall the concern for Arizona is if Sean Miller is still our coach how quickly can he turn recruiting around and recover from this crap?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Considering we need a like 7 man class next year to field a full team.. we may be screwed
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Considering we need a like 7 man class next year to field a full team.. we may be screwed
And factor in the potential loss of scholarships, oy. Not good.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Statfreak77 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Considering we need a like 7 man class next year to field a full team.. we may be screwed
And factor in the potential loss of scholarships, oy. Not good.
Eh the scholarships are meaningless, because we'd lose at max 2 and we only use 9 guys max anyways. Postseason ban would be much more damaging to recruiting and at this point we'd honestly have to look towards the JUCO ranks and grad transfers to fill holes.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I wonder what the coaches/AD are telling the families of these recruits. You have to think the calls/texts have been arriving en masse over the last week. What are they telling our current players?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

'18-'19 roster:

1. Akot
2. Randolph
3. Barcello
4. Jeter
5. Lee
6. Smith

Not guaranteed but still committed or if they'll be eligible:

7. Williams*
8. 'reef*
9. Quinerly***

Akot & Randolph may bolt if they're guaranteed being picked and things are unstable here. Randolph IS a Book recruit.

Could be a couple rough years w thin rosters, that's not even factoring possible scholarship restrictions.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:'18-'19 roster:Could be a couple rough years w thin rosters, that's not even factoring possible scholarship restrictions.
If the talent gets depleted, it's fine. We've been there before and survived. The Kyle Fogg era coincided with a marked decline in our talent level. Miller is a good coach. I could see him thriving in an underdog role. How ironic would it be if he made a Final Four without a single 5-star on the roster?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Beachcat97 wrote:
NYCat wrote:'18-'19 roster:Could be a couple rough years w thin rosters, that's not even factoring possible scholarship restrictions.
If the talent gets depleted, it's fine. We've been there before and survived. The Kyle Fogg era coincided with a marked decline in our talent level. Miller is a good coach. I could see him thriving in an underdog role. How ironic would it be if he made a Final Four without a single 5-star on the roster?
I just hope it will be his second final four and he will already be a national champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
I just hope it will be his second final four and he will already be a national champion
Me too. This year's team may be the most loaded roster he'll have for a while. You still never know what may happen recruiting-wise in the spring, but at this point, I'd be a little surprised if Bol came. And who knows what happens with Quinerly? There's no official word yet that he's out.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Looks like Little is going to commit to UNC today. I'd expect Shittu to follow suit shortly after. The utter unbelievable irony that a school that escaped any sort of punishment for their fuckery is going to capitalize on our own fuckery. Yay.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:Looks like Little is going to commit to UNC today. I'd expect Shittu to follow suit shortly after. The utter unbelievable irony that a school that escaped any sort of punishment for their fuckery is going to capitalize on our own fuckery. Yay.
I'll say it again: What happened at UNC is deplorable. And anyone who says Miller is at risk with that NCAA policy that the head coach bears responsibility and suffers consequences for what takes place is wrong. That policy has been broken.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Looks like Little is going to commit to UNC today. I'd expect Shittu to follow suit shortly after. The utter unbelievable irony that a school that escaped any sort of punishment for their fuckery is going to capitalize on our own fuckery. Yay.

Fuck UNC. I wonder what those assholes paid. If they could do the math right.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

As a university employee, I’m more offended by what UNC did than by schools that have provided improper benefits. I mean, they’re both out of bounds, to be sure, but UNC has trampled on academic integrity/honesty, which is at the heart of education as an institution. When we start down the path that UNC took, it’s no longer necessary to refer to them as student-athletes. They’re just athletes, and they’re asked to exploit an ineffective oversight mechanism. It’s terrible.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:As a university employee, I’m more offended by what UNC did than by schools that have provided improper benefits. I mean, they’re both out of bounds, to be sure, but UNC has trampled on academic integrity/honesty, which is at the heart of education as an institution. When we start down the path that UNC took, it’s no longer necessary to refer to them as student-athletes. They’re just athletes, and they’re asked to exploit an ineffective oversight mechanism. It’s terrible.
UNC defended its athletics programs by throwing the entire academic institution under the bus. Incredible.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:As a university employee, I’m more offended by what UNC did than by schools that have provided improper benefits. I mean, they’re both out of bounds, to be sure, but UNC has trampled on academic integrity/honesty, which is at the heart of education as an institution. When we start down the path that UNC took, it’s no longer necessary to refer to them as student-athletes. They’re just athletes, and they’re asked to exploit an ineffective oversight mechanism. It’s terrible.
UNC defended its athletics programs by throwing the entire academic institution under the bus. Incredible.
I suppose we're all complicit in this willful delusion of seeing power conference schools as universities first, athletics programs second. But UNC isn't even pretending anymore. They're just pissing all over their faculty and deans and academic offices. Must be strange to teach at UNC.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beach you work for west coast univ?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:

Beach you work for west coast univ?
Yep. I was at UCLA for a while. Now at a CSU.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Cool.

Not to hijack the discussion. Was a big Wooden fan back in the day. Loved his philosophy of life, good heart.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Fwiw Andrew Slater, who's pretty well connected, just picked Shareef to Kentucky in the crystal ball.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Fwiw Andrew Slater, who's pretty well connected, just picked Shareef to Kentucky in the crystal ball.
JFC. Here's a link with discussion.

O'Neal will never start at Kentucky.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So did O'Neal decommitt?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:Cool.

Not to hijack the discussion. Was a big Wooden fan back in the day. Loved his philosophy of life, good heart.
Is there anyone who isn't a fan of Wooden? Hard not to be. Great, great man. That was well before my time. I was there for the Howland years. For how well they did during that stretch, you'd be amazed how little interest there was among the undergrad population. I'd have to remind my students about Bruin home games, and even then, most were more interested in other things. I'd say only about 20% of them even knew who Howland was.

Not to hijack. Back to '18.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:So did O'Neal decommitt?
Not officially, but certainly doesn't sound good.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Don't do it, Shareef. Much better things in store for you at AZ.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

As far as I have heard, Shareef does not even hold an offer from Kentucky yet. LOL
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Statfreak77 wrote:As far as I have heard, Shareef does not even hold an offer from Kentucky yet. LOL
I mean if Bol demands they do they'll do it. Reef would be dumb to sign up for that deal, but the kid also thinks he's a one and done.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:As far as I have heard, Shareef does not even hold an offer from Kentucky yet. LOL
I mean if Bol demands they do they'll do it. Reef would be dumb to sign up for that deal, but the kid also thinks he's a one and done.
Plus, the expectation is that Kentucky does not have many, if any, OND's on their current roster...so if he is looking at immediate playing time, he won't find it at Kentucky.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NYCat wrote:
Never thought we were getting him in the first place so fuck it.

I'm still hanging on to the dream that is Bol Bol.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

We were getting him. Oh well.