Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UofAlum05

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by UofAlum05 »

I thought it was strange how eager the FBI was to make it out that the Universities were victims.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Lol now there's a rumor that Rawle broke a foot today. FucK it all.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Olsondogg wrote:This is cause of TJ leaf flipping. Miller took that hard.
I just need to get to the end of this thread cause this reads like a serialized 1800s French novel with twists and turns on each chapter.

Whole Lee shyte!!!!!
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Lol now there's a rumor that Rawle broke a foot today. FucK it all.
Like seriously, wtf?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

97cats wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Had a lawyer friend text me from Chicago today. She couldn’t believe fed would go after the coaches for this. Said it had to involve something bigger.

It’s not her field of expertise but it smelled off to her.
and that is where you now turn to Louisville and Bowen (who az backed off on) and the 150k (the standard amount) provided by (you know who) and it all starts to make sense.

Arizona backs off Bowen just at the right time, and bingo .....stay with me people

there is a bigger fish to fry....and more to follow with bigger names and bigger schools

20k is nothing
Compliments to the chef!!!! Opus delicioso!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Jesus. How long is the recovery on a broken foot, 4-6 months?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Jesus. How long is the recovery on a broken foot, 4-6 months?
Convenient
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

NYCat wrote:
So, still lots of drinking tomorrow. Got it.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

People who follow him on Snap are saying he posted a pic an hour ago of him and his mom smiling together. He looked fine.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

There are several possibilities at this point in no particular order or priority:
1. Miller knew and was involved in illegal activity
2. Miller did not know and was never involved
3. Miller found out and made a phone call because he is a no nonsense zero tolerance kind of guy and fed book to the Feds
4. Book acted completely on his on and basically lied to Miller even when Sean was suspicious.
5. Other shoe brands are involved and the feds have proof
6. It was just Adidas and if Book acted rogue we get a wrist slap, depending on who the paid current student is.
7, This thing is HUGE and many many more schools are going down tomorrow, today was sort of a "separate the good schools from the bad eggs so when we drop the other shoe its different"

I mean there are literally a hundred ways this could play out for instance:

Romar comes to UA, starts talking with Miller, they compare recruiting stories and lights go off...Miller gets suspicious and starts digging...finds a bad egg, finds bad egg shells all over other recruiting stories...contacts authorities...I dunno...I get the impression that Miller is a no bullshit kind of guy, and Romar has impeccable integrity (he is a devout christian) so when pieces didn't fit in stories he heard from Book (I can't imagine that they have not competed for recruits in Washington and Miller is no idiot he'd remember) he got suspicious...

The other side of it might be just a lack of character in Book...this isn't his first dance with shoe companies... maybe the pressure and the opportunity was just to big for him to deny...it seems his timeline is pretty recent stuff...this might be a one-off that is simply this summer...

We do know the FBI has been investigating since 2015...what else could have happened in 2015 that would get federal eyes on this issue?

The fact that todays news conference pushed two seperate envelopes seems to imply to me that some head (coaches) are going to roll, the insinuation that the Universities were victims of financial fraud by students, and that there is much more to come paints todays group of schools in a different light than if the head coaches themselves were involved...

I know its wishful thinking...wtf I'm a UA fan, but I still hold out that Miller was involved in bringing it to justice and not on the other side.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

UofAlum05 wrote:People who follow him on Snap are saying he posted a pic an hour ago of him and his mom smiling together. He looked fine.
So the question is do you trust Snapchat or Twitter.

Choose your platform!!!
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

UofAlum05 wrote:I thought it was strange how eager the FBI was to make it out that the Universities were victims.
I did too. If the FBI cleans up the influence of shoe companies in recruiting and we get a ban one and dones and adidas goes down, then that is tax payer money well spent IMO.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Well if you ask my wife she is going on 3month, be out of the cast after month two and is still relates inf to walk and building up her strength. Using crutches but no longer in a walking boot.

From the literature, depending on the foot fracture 3-6 is a good estimate.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

NYCat wrote:
Convenient
Med red shirt?
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

lotta people hanging their hat on the FBI making the universities out to be the victim in the complaint. Probably more a function of the FBI acting on behalf of the US Govt who funds the public university and the govt being the plaintiff, and not a comment on whether the UA bball program deserves harsh ncaa penalties

people believing that Miller just had no clue about any of this is too funny. Its almost like top-5 recruiting classes just fell out of the sky for 7 years into his lap and he had no clue that his top assistant was a crook, despite the fact it was an open secret

time to clean house and rip off the bandaid - otherwise there will be a giant FBI/NCAA cloud from which UABB will never escape.
Last edited by RiseAndFire on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

JMarkJohns wrote:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ok Ive caught up and have come to the following conclusion. The title of the chapter of the miller era in the annals of uofa bb history should be called

What happens in vegas: through cheeseburgers, commissioners, and a meeting of crooks Arizona persevered.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

RiseAndFire wrote:lotta people hanging their hat on the FBI making the universities out to be the victim in the complaint. Probably more a function of the FBI acting on behalf of the US Govt who funds the public university and the govt being the plaintiff, and not a comment on whether the UA bball program deserves harsh ncaa penalties

people believing that Miller just had no clue about any of this is too funny. Its almost like top-5 recruiting classes just fell out of the sky for 7 years into his lap and he had no clue that his top assistant was a crook, despite the fact it was an open secret

time to clean house and rip off the bandaid - otherwise there will be a giant FBI/NCAA cloud from which UABB will never escape.
You're about three pages behind this thread.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

RiseAndFire wrote:lotta people hanging their hat on the FBI making the universities out to be the victim in the complaint. Probably more a function of the FBI acting on behalf of the US Govt who funds the public university and the govt being the plaintiff, and not a comment on whether the UA bball program deserves harsh ncaa penalties

If you read the reports, and granted him definitely slightly drunk, but there's a Kentucky article that gives a timeline, and Book only recently joined this, seemd to need some convincing and lots of contact to get him involved, and only very very recently committed to do anything he's been charged with.

Not sure I know where I'm going g to with this, but the idea Book has been involved heavily for longer than just recently flies in the face of a very extensive 3 year investigation that sunk roots into the deepest underbelly for a long time. Fact Book appears only within last 6 months says he's likely new and maybe have been trying to procure contacts for more of his own future use elsewhere or on own.

Given what 97 is saying )I think)... Miller seemed to be cleaning house a bit.

I don't know. I'm drfintiyly stuggling here.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I am exceptionally intrigued to see what happens here... very, very unique situation as represented by the best inside source on UA Hoops for as long as I have followed the program.

I will be ecstatic if this has occurred & plays out as suggested. I LOVE Sean Miller and will be thrilled if he is not culpable in this mess. He is responsible regardless for whatever happens on his watch - but no one is perfect or can control every action of every person under their command.

But for the self-appointed street-smart voice of Board Wisdom - who seems to think he has it all figured out & knows just as much about UA Basketball as anyone, including 97Cats (no one on here does) - which is it? Either every program buys recruits and those of us unwilling to accept that are naive idiots -OR- Sean Miller blew the whistle on a few fronts on a couple parties who play by those rules.

Can't have it both ways...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm going to sleep easy tonight with the consideration that Arizona bb and miller were moles in this entries charade.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I’m going to bed knowing that Rawle is out of the lineup indefinitely.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

UofAlum05 wrote:People who follow him on Snap are saying he posted a pic an hour ago of him and his mom smiling together. He looked fine.
yup, said luv my mom
prob because people are speculating he is the one that took money

also couldn't see anything besides their faces
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:I am exceptionally intrigued to see what happens here... very, very unique situation as represented by the best inside source on UA Hoops for as long as I have followed the program.

I will be ecstatic if this has occurred & plays out as suggested. I LOVE Sean Miller and will be thrilled if he is not culpable in this mess. He is responsible regardless for whatever happens on his watch - but no one is perfect or can control every action of every person under their command.

But for the self-appointed street-smart voice of Board Wisdom - who seems to think he has it all figured out & knows just as much about UA Basketball as anyone, including 97Cats (no one on here does) - which is it? Either every program buys recruits and those of us unwilling to accept that are naive idiots -OR- Sean Miller blew the whistle on a few fronts on a couple parties who play by those rules.

Maybe we can. I can see a scenario where how recruits are steered to the Cats isn't as openly visible and corrupt as the case that the FBI pursued.

Not to compare Sean to a bloodthirsty murderous gangster, but Whitey Bulger ratted out numerous New England underworld crime figures while also committing all those same crimes himself right under the FBI's nose.

Just because Sean maybe served up Adidas, a few shady agents and financial advisers, and his own crooked henchman doesn't mean he scrupulously follows the rules himself, especially since NCAA rules and the letter of the law are not necessarily the same. He could be strictly adhering to the latter while still breaking the former every chance he gets...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Harvey Specter wrote:I am exceptionally intrigued to see what happens here... very, very unique situation as represented by the best inside source on UA Hoops for as long as I have followed the program.

Ohh, back to the battlefield now the enemy seems to be hiding? So predictable!

Go to war for Miller all day all battles until proven otherwise.
Not the other way around.

Guns a blazin
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Heard the feds were at Millers house yesterday at 6:30am. That has to be a sobering knock on the door.

Heard he had Phelps and Romar over after that meeting. I am not sure I am following everything correctly as Implied but it sounds like we are going to come out of this better than initially thought and Miller will be our guy for a long time.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:Heard the feds were at Millers house yesterday at 6:30am. That has to be a sobering knock on the door.

Heard he had Phelps and Romar over after that meeting. I am not sure I am following everything correctly as Implied but it sounds like we are going to come out of this better than initially thought and Miller will be our guy for a long time.
Unfortunately the Feds and the NCAA are not the same.

I fully expect the NCAA to shove a microscope up Sean's ass in order to hang a pelt on the wall coming out of this scandal. I'm just hoping that taking down Louisville satisfies their bloodlust.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

azcat49 wrote:Heard the feds were at Millers house yesterday at 6:30am. That has to be a sobering knock on the door.

Wow. Not unexpected, but still troubling when it happens.

Wonder if they confiscated anything as "evidence".

Hmmm.

Hope Miller has retained counsel. (in addition to UOA legal team)
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Thanks azcat49. Just wondering why you think the feds at Miller's house is a good thing?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

When's the next shoe going to drop?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Bosy Billups wrote:

Ohh, back to the battlefield now the enemy seems to be hiding? So predictable!

Go to war for Miller all day all battles until proven otherwise.
Not the other way around.

Guns a blazin
Wait, so having one of his assistant coaches arrested by the FBI isn't 'proven otherwise' enough for you? While I desperately hope Miller had nothing to do with all this, our speculation aside, the burden of proof now lies with him. Not the fans. We demand an explanation, because right at this time I'm embarrassed to be a UofA alumnus. It'd be great to have that feeling erased or even reversed, but that ain't gonna happen by us shoving our heads in the sand.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:When's the next shoe going to drop?
So THAT's how Rawle Alkins broke his foot...;)
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Any chance the BBB is involved with this through their UCLA Adidas connections? It wouldnt really surprise me and I would laugh my ass off if that big mouth had to eat his words.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Maybe this is all lavars plan to make BBB the dominant shoe company in college ball?

4d chess people.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote:

Maybe we can. I can see a scenario where how recruits are steered to the Cats isn't as openly visible and corrupt as the case that the FBI pursued.

Not to compare Sean to a bloodthirsty murderous gangster, but Whitey Bulger ratted out numerous New England underworld crime figures while also committing all those same crimes himself right under the FBI's nose.

Just because Sean maybe served up Adidas, a few shady agents and financial advisers, and his own crooked henchman doesn't mean he scrupulously follows the rules himself, especially since NCAA rules and the letter of the law are not necessarily the same. He could be strictly adhering to the latter while still breaking the former every chance he gets...
excellent post
97cats

Post by 97cats »

threenumberones wrote:

Thanks azcat49. Just wondering why you think the feds at Miller's house is a good thing?
I'm not sure it's good or bad, but it's consistent
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

jsbowl16 wrote:Any chance the BBB is involved with this through their UCLA Adidas connections? It wouldnt really surprise me and I would laugh my ass off if that big mouth had to eat his words.
UCLA is Under Armor for last few years.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

jsbowl16 wrote:Any chance the BBB is involved with this through their UCLA Adidas connections? It wouldnt really surprise me and I would laugh my ass off if that big mouth had to eat his words.
Would anyone be shocked, given that Adidas is linked by the FBI and Alford had such a fast change in recruiting? It was a really big deal when UCLA suddenly started taking all the Compton Magic stars.

Leaf and Hands would be the biggest names in that sudden change of fortunes.

Again, this is the cynic in me, but if shoe companies involved in the AAU circuit are a target, I would guess there are a lot of major recruiters who destroyed their cell phones yesterday.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Just starting this year.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

JMarkJohns wrote:
That was in May of 2016. This investigation started in 2015. Ball commited to UCLA in 2014.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yep not sure if good or bad but until 97 says something forboding about Miller and his duties as our coach, I will remain optimistic.

No doubt this is a systemic problem in college basketball not isolated to a few schools
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I've still not really seen addressed how this may impact the current season. We may need to just sit tight and let the dust settle, but given the lofty prospects for 2017-18, I'm sure many here are looking at the short term impact.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just leave this here, some random sportswriter. No other confirmation.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

His source on that is a rivals message board “insider”
prh

Post by prh »

Merkin wrote:Just leave this here, some random sportswriter. No other confirmation.
Nothing in that whole article we didn't already know, other than that UK is more interested in us going down than Louisville. Pretty much just pulling relevant parts of the criminal complaint. The Ayton comment is totally on its own.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Just leave this here, some random sportswriter. No other confirmation.
Nothing really new except the unsourced thing about Ayton. From the FBI, the following is out there:

Book took miscellaneous personal money from the startup agency to direct players to it (incidentally, there are no ex-Arizona players on their current client list).
Dawkins (the guy who gave Book the $) said Book needed 15k, and that was supposed to be for locking up the Quinerly commit.
There is reference to one current Arizona player having been taken care of previously.

That's the sum total.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

JMarkJohns wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Bravo
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Jason Riley who said that Big things would happen today is saying that there will be a 1pm presser today at Louisville.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

jsbowl16 wrote:Jason Riley who said that Big things would happen today is saying that there will be a 1pm presser today at Louisville.

AD is gone. Pitino in meeting now. Expects to be fired. Both won’t be at presser. Louisville is done
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

How is Miller gonna sniff out the player who took money and deal with this? I know there are some suspicions but nothing yet known (to me).

This likely has to be addressed before the start of the season if he wants a shot at having this season intact.