Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by gumby »

97cats wrote:every top 50 program for the last 25 years has paid for the vast majority of their top players.

the top, top programs pay for a much higher percentage due to the fact that they get a higher percentage of top players -- its been a know practice and somewhat accepted for as long as i can remember, and yes, Arizona is right there with the best of them.

the programs with the pedigree, resources, and willingness to "do what it takes" have had the clear advantage in landing the top stars.

where this falls on Adidas is that they have long been cornered with direct benefits to the teams they sponsor, whereas other programs like Arizona have had a deft process and tight secrecy.

Book exposed Arizona thru a channel it has never used, Adidas, for his own personal greed and gain -- not to mention 5k...and therein lies where all Arizona fans should be infuriated, fucking Book Richardson did this for 5k, 5 fucking k, and did so by going outside of the model that was so effective and un-penetrable up to this point.

so, its not about if the teams cheat, its how they cheat, and Arizona did it as good or better than anyone.

and one last thing, how do you guys think i know all the inside information i know? is it because you think i talk to Sean Miller everyday? or that Greg Byrne and Jim Livengood used to call me and tell me that Stanley Johnson was going to commit, or Aaron Gordon was coming to Arizona or that Chase Budinger was going to stay for his Jr year or that Sean Miller met with our main booster in Santa Fe or that John Calipari convinced Miller to come to AZ?

no, its because the web of involvement of people not directly affiliated with the program are intertwined in the mix, they are the ones who pull the strings and cover the man holes, and its like that at every school that handles their business effectively at this level.

its the darkest kept secret of of a 1000 or so people around the country at various universities who are not employees or staff members who are vital to the culture of college basketball today, and that culture is a culture of greed and billions and billions of dollars on the line.... from CBS and FOX to ESPN and Adidas and NIKE and Under Armor and Foot Locker and McDonalds and on and on and on.....
So then why are you such a fan? Why should anyone be a fan outside of the people who directly benefit? This is what I've never understood. People talk about the corruption and refs fixing games, and conferences playing favorites with teams and on and on, and I'm like, this is something you devote yourself to?

So best-case scenario is our coach is corrupt, but feds really want Adidas. So don't sweat it.

Seems to be me best-case scenario is that ALL of this gets blown up.
Right where I want to be.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97 with the mic drop!
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

97cats wrote:and one last thing, how do you guys think i know all the inside information i know? is it because you think i talk to Sean Miller everyday? or that Greg Byrne and Jim Livengood used to call me and tell me that Stanley Johnson was going to commit, or Aaron Gordon was coming to Arizona or that Chase Budinger was going to stay for his Jr year or that Sean Miller met with our main booster in Santa Fe or that John Calipari convinced Miller to come to AZ?

no

Dammit, thanks for shattering my worldview :mrgreen:
cpt

Post by cpt »

97cats wrote:every top 50 program for the last 25 years has paid for the vast majority of their top players.

the top, top programs pay for a much higher percentage due to the fact that they get a higher percentage of top players -- its been a know practice and somewhat accepted for as long as i can remember, and yes, Arizona is right there with the best of them.

the programs with the pedigree, resources, and willingness to "do what it takes" have had the clear advantage in landing the top stars.

where this falls on Adidas is that they have long been cornered with direct benefits to the teams they sponsor, whereas other programs like Arizona have had a deft process and tight secrecy.

Book exposed Arizona thru a channel it has never used, Adidas, for his own personal greed and gain -- not to mention 5k...and therein lies where all Arizona fans should be infuriated, fucking Book Richardson did this for 5k, 5 fucking k, and did so by going outside of the model that was so effective and un-penetrable up to this point.

so, its not about if the teams cheat, its how they cheat, and Arizona did it as good or better than anyone.

and one last thing, how do you guys think i know all the inside information i know? is it because you think i talk to Sean Miller everyday? or that Greg Byrne and Jim Livengood used to call me and tell me that Stanley Johnson was going to commit, or Aaron Gordon was coming to Arizona or that Chase Budinger was going to stay for his Jr year or that Sean Miller met with our main booster in Santa Fe or that John Calipari convinced Miller to come to AZ?

no, its because the web of involvement of people not directly affiliated with the program are intertwined in the mix, they are the ones who pull the strings and cover the man holes, and its like that at every school that handles their business effectively at this level.

its the darkest kept secret of of a 1000 or so people around the country at various universities who are not employees or staff members who are vital to the culture of college basketball today, and that culture is a culture of greed and billions and billions of dollars on the line.... from CBS and FOX to ESPN and Adidas and NIKE and Under Armor and Foot Locker and McDonalds and on and on and on.....
I am reminded of the scene in All the President's Men when Deep Throat finally spills the goods and says: "get out your pen, there's more..."
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

If this is true, then I support shutting the sport down for a few years, and, if there's a course, starting over....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

They could just call you a donor. But the NCAA will be damned if a penny goes to an amateur
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This is why I can't buy Longhorned's argument about restoring the game. Wooden's dynasty was built on payment in the 60's and 70's.

For what it's worth, I've posted about walking on to a D1 program. This was very much my experience in HS in the 90's and college in the early 2000's. Relationships are everything, and the relationships are inherently dirty. The entire process is basically speculative investment in 15-18 year olds.

Everyone is using the system for something, and it's been like that constantly.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

So this is exactly like the steroids in baseball. You either take them and compete, or not take them and lose. This may be too big to fail. Perhaps Patino will become the Barry Bonds, I just hope we aren't the Sammy Sosa.
gumby

Post by gumby »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
gumby wrote:I don't ever recall a person staying silent who was innocent. The program is getting hammered, mocked and abused. Will be forever know as #apayersprogram. (That slogan is a victim, for sure).

Miller needs to say something. Saying nothing looks like calculation. Like he's wondering who knows what and who might flip and who might be loyal and on and on. Like he's weighing his options.

That's what it looks like. If he wants to change that, he needs to act.
IIRC Millers silence in previous stuff was wisdom and somewhat mandated by the rules...

Silence now might actually be prudent as well as required by his contractual commitment to the Administration...he is probably only responding as he is being told to respond...if there are players on board who received money AND scholarships then it is a criminal investigation and he would be required to stay silent.
What previous criminal stuff are you referring to where he was implicated? This is different. His contract states he can't profess innocence of lack of knowledge about criminal matters?

Like to hear more about that.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
gumby wrote:I don't ever recall a person staying silent who was innocent. The program is getting hammered, mocked and abused. Will be forever know as #apayersprogram. (That slogan is a victim, for sure).

Miller needs to say something. Saying nothing looks like calculation. Like he's wondering who knows what and who might flip and who might be loyal and on and on. Like he's weighing his options.

IIRC Millers silence in previous stuff was wisdom and somewhat mandated by the rules...

Silence now might actually be prudent as well as required by his contractual commitment to the Administration...he is probably only responding as he is being told to respond...if there are players on board who received money AND scholarships then it is a criminal investigation and he would be required to stay silent.
Without question, Miller has consulted an attorney. And without question, the attorney has advised Miller not to speak publicly. We won't be hearing from Sean Miller on this issue, except perhaps through a carefully crafted statement released to the media.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bosy Billups wrote:

So this is exactly like the steroids in baseball. You either take them and compete, or not take them and lose. This may be too big to fail. Perhaps Patino will become the Barry Bonds, I just hope we aren't the Sammy Sosa.
Still feel great about Lance Armstrong. Gotta do what ya gotta do!

#livestrong!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Olsondogg wrote:They could just call you a donor. But the NCAA will be damned if a penny goes to an amateur
Apparently, there aren't any.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

gumby wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:

#livestrong!
I don't think taking supplements is cheating. Nor is getting Tommy John surgery, or using anesthesia to dull the pain to go through the Tommy John surgery. It's a stupid rule and medical technology, including supplements, should be legal and/or doctor supervised at the least. So, yeah, Lance Armstrong did an amazing thing.

Same with paying player's families who live in the ghettos, while the NCAA and schools make filthy lucre off them. Unfortunately the ban created the black market with seedy characters, much like the alcohol and weed prohibitions. Face!
gumby

Post by gumby »

midnightx wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:

Without question, Miller has consulted an attorney. And without question, the attorney has advised Miller not to speak publicly. We won't be hearing from Sean Miller on this issue, except perhaps through a carefully crafted statement released to the media.
Good luck with that. If he thinks the Trier questions were a hassle ... meanwhile, the narrative will be shaped.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If you remember BearDownBaby from TOS

gumby

Post by gumby »

Bosy Billups wrote:
gumby wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:

#livestrong!
I don't think taking supplements is cheating. Nor is getting Tommy John surgery, or using anesthesia to dull the pain to go through the Tommy John surgery. It's a stupid rule and medical technology, including supplements, should be legal and/or doctor supervised at the least. So, yeah, Lance Armstrong did an amazing thing.

Same with paying player's families who live in the ghettos, while the NCAA and schools make filthy lucre off them. Unfortunately the ban created the black market with seedy characters, much like the alcohol and weed prohibitions. Face!
Doubt he agrees. All the lying, all the attacks he conducted on people who were telling the truth about him. Has to live with that. He is a shattered man.

Unless he has no conscience.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

This is why I can't buy Longhorned's argument about restoring the game. Wooden's dynasty was built on payment in the 60's and 70's.

For what it's worth, I've posted about walking on to a D1 program. This was very much my experience in HS in the 90's and college in the early 2000's. Relationships are everything, and the relationships are inherently dirty. The entire process is basically speculative investment in 15-18 year olds.

I guess we'll disagree, then. I'm not talking about the pre-modern era of 50's and 60's and 70's. In the 70's, college basketball was still basically a fringe sport. I don't know of any evidence that John Thompson, Dean Smith, Mike Kryzewski, Lute Olson, and so many others were running shady programs in the 1980s. In the 90's, college basketball fell victim to its own big-money success while still basking in its glory. By the 2000s, that glory was still there, along with equal air given to the exploitation of AAU that undermined the game itself. But I take it you're arguing that college basketball was the same or worse in the 1980s than it was as of September 25, 2017.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

gumby wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
gumby wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:

#livestrong!

Doubt he agrees. All the lying, all the attacks he conducted on people who were telling the truth about him. Has to live with that. He is a shattered man.

Unless he has no conscience.
No way, Lance is living the dream. Just saw this podcast from his dope home in Austin. Doesn't look like a tormented soul at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCRSkdfaTqI&t=2s
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:If you remember BearDownBaby from TOS

I don't get it
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

That's actually a new one in the world of Sam Gilbert.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

and now this:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This sucks so fucking much.

Fuck you Book Richardson.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

gumby wrote:
midnightx wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:

Good luck with that. If he thinks the Trier questions were a hassle ... meanwhile, the narrative will be shaped.
The public narrative is one thing, the legal narrative is another. By staying silent, Miller does not reveal anything potentially incriminating. I will be shocked if he holds a press conference or allows an interview to take place. He will likely stay silent. Most likely he will be deposed at some point.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

so much coming out today

edit: actually a fake account
Last edited by SunnyAZ on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Merkin wrote:and now this:
If true, just another sign this is going to blow up and go beyond the programs and entities already named.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Anfernee Simmons decommits from UofL. Also a 5-star demmitted from Auburn earlier today.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Oh, Lance has a "dope home" ... appropriate. You should watch the documentaries on him.
"I tell a story of my son Max when he was having a conversation with his mother," Armstrong said. "The subject came up and he was talking with his mother and she was saying that I was a great professional cyclist.

"He and I are best friends and he loves me to death. His response was, 'Yes but he cheated.' My son said that to his mother.

"When they grow up, they will watch a documentary, they will watch something on YouTube. That will come up."
But, yeah, dope home!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

midnightx wrote: If true, just another sign this is going to blow up and go beyond the programs and entities already named.
this 100% is going to change college athletics forever as we know it, and wont in any way shape or form be confined to these four programs.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

gumby wrote:

I don't get it
Arizona is refered to as University-4 in the FBI docs
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Anfernee Simons decommitted from 'Ville
gumby

Post by gumby »

midnightx wrote:
gumby wrote:
midnightx wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:

The public narrative is one thing, the legal narrative is another. By staying silent, Miller does not reveal anything potentially incriminating. I will be shocked if he holds a press conference or allows an interview to take place. He will likely stay silent. Most likely he will be deposed at some point.
I totally get why you do this if worried about something incriminating.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Chicat wrote:This sucks so fucking much.

I'm not sure I'm all that pissed at Book anymore. I mean, if everyone is doing it, why should we be mad? Because he got caught? The whole thing is a sham.
gumby

Post by gumby »

NYCat wrote:
gumby wrote:

I don't get it
Arizona is refered to as University-4 in the FBI docs
Too insider. Make it "Final Four -- finally!"
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

97cats wrote:
midnightx wrote: If true, just another sign this is going to blow up and go beyond the programs and entities already named.
this 100% is going to change college athletics forever as we know it, and wont in any way shape or form be confined to these four programs.
Very true. There is no way these 4 programs are going to take the fall for the entirety of college basketball.
gumby

Post by gumby »

threenumberones wrote:
Chicat wrote:This sucks so fucking much.

I'm not sure I'm all that pissed at Book anymore. I mean, if everyone is doing it, why should we be mad? Because he got caught? The whole thing is a sham.
Right. If this ends up draining the swamp (sorry), then he's a footnote.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Book Richardson may become a footnote, but today he's a lanced boil.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Frybry02 wrote:
97cats wrote:
Very true. There is no way these 4 programs are going to take the fall for the entirety of college Sports.
fixed it for you. this is changing everything. Bilas is going to get his wish.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

97cats wrote:
Totally agree. The scope of this investigation is clearly going to expand. Also various parties are going to cut deals and expose a lot of information. I will not be surprised if some other major programs ultimately are exposed.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

midnightx wrote:
If true, just another sign this is going to blow up and go beyond the programs and entities already named.
It can probably go just about as far as you want it to.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

It all started with some low level investment advisor.

Other college programs could go to the NCAA but this got the FBI involved.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

baycat93 wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
97cats wrote:
Very true. There is no way these 4 programs are going to take the fall for the entirety of college Sports.
fixed it for you. this is changing everything. Bilas is going to get his wish.
Not if Duke finally gets exposed. ;)
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Boom goes the dynamite
gumby

Post by gumby »

One of the financial advisers working for feds was Marty Blazer. If Book and others weren't so stupid, they could've just googled his name and learned he was bad news.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Louis+M ... 8&oe=utf-8" target="_blank
Last edited by gumby on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Bob Ley just interviewed Sonny Vaccaro on ESPN.

At the end end of the interview, Sonny mentioned a story from 35 years ago about the genesis of coaches getting contracts with shoe companies - and a guy calling him who had gotten some money (above board), but wanted a contract.

Guess who it was? Lute.

This appears destined to be "MLB's steroid moment".
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

:(

Argghh! Bitter pill and no spoonful of sugar. Evaluation tough to take. Arizona basketball not going to be the same. (my impression only... not based on anything..only reading stuff here). Round
and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gumby wrote:One of the financial advisers working for feds was this guy. If Book and others weren't so stupid, they could've just googled his name and learn he's shady.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Louis+M ... 8&oe=utf-8" target="_blank
The whole system is shady.... I love the insinuations that Book is "shady" or "greedy" or "dishonest". As if he is on an island.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

$5000
cpt

Post by cpt »

So the distillation of this scandal is...everybody cheats but we cheated the wrong way?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Coach George Raveling is Nike's Global Basketball Sports Marketing Director.

Keep buying that gear, folks! Think of it as investment in the next natty.
Last edited by gumby on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

I'm not sure why the bluster of last night holds true now--you know Miller was ahead of things. It doesn't seem he was ahead of anything.

If anything, since the whole truth will (has?) gotten out, the best thing to do is fire Miller, impose 2 years of sanctions along with 2 scholarships and encourage the NCAA to add more if they think its necessary, and ASAP. The sooner we get on with things the sooner we can feel better about this....and ourselves.

Further, we now know there is a current team player who has a relative in receipt of money. What's the hold up there? That player should already be off the team.

I agree with those here who ask what's the point?

For me, I can't see one anymore.