Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by 97cats »

Harvey Specter wrote:Bob Ley just interviewed Sonny Vaccaro on ESPN.

At the end end of the interview, Sonny mentioned a story from 35 years ago about the genesis of coaches getting contracts with shoe companies - and a guy calling him who had gotten some money (above board), but wanted a contract.

Guess who it was? Lute.

This appears destined to be "MLB's steroid moment".
it has been aggressively rampant and really out of control for 25 years -- but the payment of players in college basketball trails all the way back to the 60's and John Wooden.

what once was a booster here or a booster there has now become a high stakes corporate game and shoe company bonanza of cash flying around and around to 18/19 year old kids and their families and their advisers.

this is the beginning of the end of college athletics as we all have grown know it
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

threenumberones wrote:
Chicat wrote:This sucks so fucking much.

Fuck you Book Richardson.
I'm not sure I'm all that pissed at Book anymore. I mean, if everyone is doing it, why should we be mad? Because he got caught? The whole thing is a sham.
^^^ This. In a nutshell.

So you have to elevate yourself to a certain level before bribery is acceptable? Sure.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

The timeline is incredibly interesting and a huge relief in my mind:

Sting in Vegas with Book/Pasternack: March 8
Romar fired: March 15
Pasternack leaves UA: March 30
Romar hired: April 15

Was Pasternack actively looking for a head coaching job or was he informed and forced out? He is not named in the court docs so I think he played ball. Still cant find his UCSB salary but he was making over $210K here.

Has the original clown Kevin O'Neill not weighed in on this yet? Or has he left the country?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i think its more about the 5k, and most assistants and coaches arent pocketing the money -- almost always that gets passed thru

so yes, what Book did for an extra 5k is retarded.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

97cats wrote:

At the end end of the interview, Sonny mentioned a story from 35 years ago about the genesis of coaches getting contracts with shoe companies - and a guy calling him who had gotten some money (above board), but wanted a contract.

Guess who it was? Lute.

it has been aggressively rampant and really out of control for 25 years -- but the payment of players in college basketball trails all the way back to the 60's and John Wooden.

what once was a booster here or a booster there has now become a high stakes corporate game and shoe company bonanza of cash flying around and around to 18/19 year old kids and their families and their advisers.

this is the beginning of the end of college athletics as we all have grown know it
You are a Godsend... thanks sincerely for all the insightful color.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

If anything, since the whole truth will (has?) gotten out, the best thing to do is fire Miller, impose 2 years of sanctions along with 2 scholarships and encourage the NCAA to add more if they think its necessary, and ASAP. The sooner we get on with things the sooner we can feel better about this....and ourselves.
Slow down. Let's see how things shake out before execution of a sentence. :P
Last edited by HiCat on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

baycat93 wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
97cats wrote:
midnightx wrote: If true, just another sign this is going to blow up and go beyond the programs and entities already named.
this 100% is going to change college athletics forever as we know it, and wont in any way shape or form be confined to these four programs.
Very true. There is no way these 4 programs are going to take the fall for the entirety of college Sports.
fixed it for you. this is changing everything. Bilas is going to get his wish.
I really can't wait to hear what he has to say on all of this.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

97cats wrote:i think its more about the 5k, and most assistants and coaches arent pocketing the money -- almost always that gets passed thru

I completely agree that it was STUPID.

I just don't think he's any less ethical than every single part of the machine that has actively perpetuated the myth of what college sports is about for the last 30+ years.

If that's the way it's gotta be, I am fine with it. But do it out in the open.

And sure as shit don't pretend that your something you aren't. It's the hypocrisy that is sending this fan packing.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

97cats wrote:

Guess who it was? Lute.

So again, to go back to some of the things Gumby, LH'd & others have posted - couldn't this end up being a really good thing? Everyone has known that it wasn't all flowers & rainbows (just not how much) so maybe nuking it & starting with a new system is better.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Harvey Specter wrote:

I just don't think he's any less ethical than every single part of the machine that has actively perpetuated the myth of what college sports is about for the last 30+ years.

And sure as shit don't pretend that your something you aren't. It's the hypocrisy that is sending this fan packing.
i agree with everything you wrote right here -- ALL of it
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
So again, to go back to some of the things Gumby, LH'd & others have posted - couldn't this end up being a really good thing? Everyone has known that it wasn't all flowers & rainbows (just not how much) so maybe nuking it & starting with a new system is better.
what people are whispering now is it cant all be death penalties and firings, the NCAA and the Athletic Departments cant just burn it all down, and to make everyone accountable that is literally what would have to happen.

im not kidding when i say every top 50 program pays its players, and the top 100 schools violate the rules on benefits in some fashion.

to hold everyone involved to the letter of the law would mean everyone was treated as SMU and that not happening.

the system will be re-worked and adjusted, but it wont be destroyed -- there is way to much money at stake, thats the irony in all of this.
Last edited by 97cats on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

So we obviously know what is happening in college athletics but there are public high schools out there being sponsored by these shoe companies. How do they fit into all of this? Are they getting similar benefits to some of these colleges?
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

97cats wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

i agree with everything you wrote right here -- ALL of it
'97, does this change the Miller to UNC chances at all? LOL but seriously
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Bosy Billups wrote:
'97, does this change the Miller to UNC chances at all? LOL but seriously
is this a joke -- i sure hope so, for your sake as a functional human
97cats

Post by 97cats »

jsbowl16 wrote:So we obviously know what is happening in college athletics but there are public high schools out there being sponsored by these shoe companies. How do they fit into all of this? Are they getting similar benefits to some of these colleges?
thats a great observation, and the answer is yes, and in some instances more shady, just on a lower stakes level.

im not sure how that will be addressed but recruiting and communication will surely change, no question whatsoever.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I always laugh at people who have a problem with performance enhancing drugs. Where do you stop is the question? According to Malcolm Gladwell, over 50% of the students at ivy league schools & employees at silicon valley firms use PEDs. Should we prosecute them like we do athletes?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Hopefully this ends one and done's
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:i think its more about the 5k, and most assistants and coaches arent pocketing the money -- almost always that gets passed thru

That's what stunned me the most. That Book did all this for what is basically pocket change. Other schools are angling for six figures, and he's scamming for a few thousand here or there for himself.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Olsondogg wrote:
NYCat wrote:If Adidas, Nike go down.. are we ready for puma, new balance, Russell, big baller brand to rule college?
No. I’m ready for shoe money to stop controlling recruiting.
Well yeah but it's realistically possible Adidas, Nike, UA are banned from NCAA and schools will have to find other outfitters for uniforms, shoes, etc.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Hopefully this ends one and done's
It won't. That's an NBA rule, and the NBA could care less about this. Notice how Derrick Rose didn't suffer any consequences with the Bulls?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Harvey Specter wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
Chicat wrote:This sucks so fucking much.

Fuck you Book Richardson.
I'm not sure I'm all that pissed at Book anymore. I mean, if everyone is doing it, why should we be mad? Because he got caught? The whole thing is a sham.
^^^ This. In a nutshell.

So you have to elevate yourself to a certain level before bribery is acceptable? Sure.
My wife's comment on all of this is that this will allow her alma mater, university of San Francisco, to recapture the glory days. "So might USF become good again?!?"

Bless her heart. :lol:
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:Everyone has known that it wasn't all flowers & rainbows (just not how much) so maybe nuking it & starting with a new system is better.
Exactly. That stink we smelled wasn't just about the source we didn't know, and how much money we didn't know was involved. It was about the result we could see plainly: recruits who committed to programs for no apparent reason, and lacked skills commensurable with their talent level, and making an unfair mockery of the real student athletes. Meanwhile all this name-brand, corporate sponsorship whirling around and also anchoring programs down, and it never felt collegiate.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

CalStateTempe wrote:
My wife's comment on all of this is that this will allow her alma mater, university of San Francisco, to recapture the glory days. "So might USF become good again?!?"

as sad as this is, they are violating the rules too, on a much smaller scale -- i know that may be hard to believe but its true.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

As much as this will impact a sport we all love I find this whole thing incredibly interesting.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:As much as this will impact a sport we all love I find this whole thing incredibly interesting.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:As much as this will impact a sport we all love I find this whole thing incredibly interesting.
Mitutoyo builds great tools. However, I prefer Brown & Sharpe.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

84Cat wrote:I always laugh at people who have a problem with performance enhancing drugs. Where do you stop is the question? According to Malcolm Gladwell, over 50% of the students at ivy league schools & employees at silicon valley firms use PEDs. Should we prosecute them like we do athletes?
What athletes have prosecuted for using performance enhancing drugs?

This issue ethically in sports is getting an advantage over competitors that is not rooted in talent or sweat equity.

Apples & oranges.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

NYCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
NYCat wrote:If Adidas, Nike go down.. are we ready for puma, new balance, Russell, big baller brand to rule college?
No. I’m ready for shoe money to stop controlling recruiting.
Well yeah but it's realistically possible Adidas, Nike, UA are banned from NCAA and schools will have to find other outfitters for uniforms, shoes, etc.
K-Swiss FTW?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

97cats wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

as sad as this is, they are violating the rules too, on a much smaller scale -- i know that may be hard to believe but its true.
Wow it's that endemic.

Fascinating.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Hank of sb wrote:
97cats wrote:every top 50 program for the last 25 years has paid for the vast majority of their top players.

the top, top programs pay for a much higher percentage due to the fact that they get a higher percentage of top players -- its been a know practice and somewhat accepted for as long as i can remember, and yes, Arizona is right there with the best of them.

the programs with the pedigree, resources, and willingness to "do what it takes" have had the clear advantage in landing the top stars.

where this falls on Adidas is that they have long been cornered with direct benefits to the teams they sponsor, whereas other programs like Arizona have had a deft process and tight secrecy.

Book exposed Arizona thru a channel it has never used, Adidas, for his own personal greed and gain -- not to mention 5k...and therein lies where all Arizona fans should be infuriated, fucking Book Richardson did this for 5k, 5 fucking k, and did so by going outside of the model that was so effective and un-penetrable up to this point.

so, its not about if the teams cheat, its how they cheat, and Arizona did it as good or better than anyone.

and one last thing, how do you guys think i know all the inside information i know? is it because you think i talk to Sean Miller everyday? or that Greg Byrne and Jim Livengood used to call me and tell me that Stanley Johnson was going to commit, or Aaron Gordon was coming to Arizona or that Chase Budinger was going to stay for his Jr year or that Sean Miller met with our main booster in Santa Fe or that John Calipari convinced Miller to come to AZ?

no, its because the web of involvement of people not directly affiliated with the program are intertwined in the mix, they are the ones who pull the strings and cover the man holes, and its like that at every school that handles their business effectively at this level.

its the darkest kept secret of of a 1000 or so people around the country at various universities who are not employees or staff members who are vital to the culture of college basketball today, and that culture is a culture of greed and billions and billions of dollars on the line.... from CBS and FOX to ESPN and Adidas and NIKE and Under Armor and Foot Locker and McDonalds and on and on and on.....
I'm not sure why the bluster of last night holds true now--you know Miller was ahead of things. It doesn't seem he was ahead of anything.

If anything, since the whole truth will (has?) gotten out, the best thing to do is fire Miller, impose 2 years of sanctions along with 2 scholarships and encourage the NCAA to add more if they think its necessary, and ASAP. The sooner we get on with things the sooner we can feel better about this....and ourselves.

Further, we now know there is a current team player who has a relative in receipt of money. What's the hold up there? That player should already be off the team.

I agree with those here who ask what's the point?

For me, I can't see one anymore.
Why fire Miller when pretty much every successful college basketball coach does the exact same thing. Clearly paying athletes and all this other shady shit became a necessity to have success and keep your job. Who would u replace him with when theres probably a plethora of shady coaches below the collegiate level and most of the D1 coaches are involved in the same stuff? You also gotta believe Arizona would be stupid to even offer imposing self sanctions until the dust settles - is the NCAA really going to put every top 50 program on probation and do tournament bans?

It seems we need to come to terms with the fact that everyone is getting dragged into this. There will be no winners, and hopefully it leads to things getting cleaned up, until they find another way, rinse, repeat.

As for Miller being ahead of things, purely speculation on my part, but say the FBI came around w questions bc of Book (or even before then), would it not bode well if Miller, with his knowledge and candor, said look, FBI, here is the deal, and laid the entire blueprints and inner workings of what really goes down? You help the FBI take down the big guys, they take care of you. The more you help and if it leads to convictions, the better
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

NYCat wrote:Well yeah but it's realistically possible Adidas, Nike, UA are banned from NCAA and schools will have to find other outfitters for uniforms, shoes, etc.
Time to buy some stock...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

As do i Greg. The geopolitics for the landscape, the hard and soft and hushed diplomacy. The private and public partnerships and money and now government role.

I will be and old man some day and still read the biographies that will come out about this.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
It won't. That's an NBA rule, and the NBA could care less about this. Notice how Derrick Rose didn't suffer any consequences with the Bulls?
Lots of players will go overseas until the NBA changes the rules.
2018 is looking like a lot of top players could go
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

This is too big to fail. Possible not much changes, and Pitino is the skin of this scandal. Things keep quiet for a few months, then back to business as usual, except using Bitcoin or finding move covert ways to operate. Too much is at stake for this to blow up IMO
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I wonder how much Zion Williamson got...Every major school is after him
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Miller and Arizona will, and should do, absolutely nothing different until this plays out. The spotlight will not be on UA forever as it’s already shifting.

If the landscape of the entire sport is blowing up, it would be foolish to do something now. Unless you need an excuse to get rid of a coach. Especially one with a penchant for hookers, infidelity and lying
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

azpenguin wrote:
97cats wrote:and one last thing, how do you guys think i know all the inside information i know? is it because you think i talk to Sean Miller everyday? or that Greg Byrne and Jim Livengood used to call me and tell me that Stanley Johnson was going to commit, or Aaron Gordon was coming to Arizona or that Chase Budinger was going to stay for his Jr year or that Sean Miller met with our main booster in Santa Fe or that John Calipari convinced Miller to come to AZ?

no

Dammit, thanks for shattering my worldview :mrgreen:
It may never fully come into the public light, but this shit pales in comparison to how things are really run in the political world, hollywood, wall street, etc., and how long it has been going on for. Most countries too. The entire world would melt down and there would be mass chaos and war if the commonfolk really knew what the powerful people do.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Lots of players will go overseas until the NBA changes the rules.
2018 is looking like a lot of top players could go
I doubt it matters from the NBA perspective. Mudiay, Jennings and Ferguson got picked just fine.

I don't think the NBA cares about the vitality of the college game. The jump from HS eligibilty to one and done was to help NBA teams by allowing for more scouting time.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'd like to see the FBI/DOJ turn their attention just as fully to the NCAA itself. Some of this (not all) can be attributed to a system that undermines and exploits student/athletes.

There's a good documentary called Schooled: The Price of College Sports: https://www.netflix.com/title/70291153" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
97cats wrote:and one last thing, how do you guys think i know all the inside information i know? is it because you think i talk to Sean Miller everyday? or that Greg Byrne and Jim Livengood used to call me and tell me that Stanley Johnson was going to commit, or Aaron Gordon was coming to Arizona or that Chase Budinger was going to stay for his Jr year or that Sean Miller met with our main booster in Santa Fe or that John Calipari convinced Miller to come to AZ?

no
Dammit, thanks for shattering my worldview :mrgreen:
It may never fully come into the public light, but this shit pales in comparison to how things are really run in the political world, hollywood, wall street, etc., and how long it has been going on for. Most countries too. The entire world would melt down and there would be mass chaos and war if the commonfolk really knew what the powerful people do.
Eh, I'm not sure how shocking it really would be, at least to me. Buying influence with talented people is old as time.

I just spoke about this with a friend. A kid like De'Andre Ayton is a few years from a 150 million plus contract. Everyone knows it. If a management agency gets a cut of that one contract for that one kid, the owner is set for life.

You can't have that amount of money at stake and not have people trying to buy influence. It just isn't possible. Getting in on the ground floor of a top HS prospect is an investment with a crazy rate of return.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Are You saying that when I met him at the airport two years ago I missed my shot?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

The problem is the NCAA is hellbent on maintaining the essence of amateurism. I don't think they care about how significant their sports programs are in the greater world of athletics. It would be a 'get back to basics' mission, with focus on the educational foundation of the university. The role that the NCAA plays in being the developmental league for pro/olympic sports could be replaced by a glorified/unaffiliated club system...or more likely minor leagues for football/basketball. I don't think it's likely, but it also would not surprise me one bit either if they blew it up.
Last edited by threenumberones on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Olson

Post by Sean Olson »

Lots of doomsday predictions but to 97's point, there is just too much money involved here.

The NCAA, ESPN/CBS/FOX/etc., NIKE/Adidas/UA, Sponsors, and Casinos are making BILLIONS
Universities, Coaches, Athletic directors are making MILLIONS
Players are making thousands (and for the cream of the crop eventually millions)
Heck, even Ace was making money off this stuff. Recruiting websites, college basketball forums. Even the economic development and job creation associated with new stadiums, practice facilities, etc. etc. The gettin' is just too good.

And really, the only group not profiting here are the fans. We're the ones responsible for infusing all this money into the system. But then we are all willing participants acting out of our own free will - more than happy to participate. Let's be honest, if the NCAA could "Men In Black erase" the past two days they'd do it in a heartbeat; or if Morpheus offered you the blue pill and you could wake up tomorrow and things are back to normal, you'd take it.

Nobody was "shocked" by this (except Rick Pitino of course...) we all kinda sorta knew something was going on behind the scenes. But like your cheating girlfriend who swears she'll never do it again, you forgive her and give her one last chance, cuz she's a dime-piece.

The FBI blew the roof off this thing for sure, but it can be repaired. A new roof and a paint-job and, voila, business as usual. It's what we all want anyway. Put some new "rules" in place and make us believe the story again, so we can get back to watching our beloved teams.

We still have the World Cup, FIFA, and the Olympics right? Every major sport survived shortened or cancelled seasons. Maybe for a year or two things will be a little "off," but I think this whole thing ultimately is just a footnote. And certainly this is NOT the end.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
84Cat wrote:I always laugh at people who have a problem with performance enhancing drugs. Where do you stop is the question? According to Malcolm Gladwell, over 50% of the students at ivy league schools & employees at silicon valley firms use PEDs. Should we prosecute them like we do athletes?
What athletes have prosecuted for using performance enhancing drugs?

This issue ethically in sports is getting an advantage over competitors that is not rooted in talent or sweat equity.

Apples & oranges.
My point was that "cheating" happens in all walks of life. This is just bigger because of the money involved. People who think everything is so pure need to open their eyes and see how our world works. I can't wait to see how this plays out. Hopefully, a much better system emerges like Jay Williams is suggesting. I can't remember the last time I agreed with jwill.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

zonagrad wrote:I'm not sure anyone on the outside (media, fans, etc..) knows how the rest of this will play out and how deep it will go. Some telling comments from the Feds that basically says, "if you know you're guilty it's best to come forward now."

I won't shed a tear if L'Ville AD Tom Jurich goes down. I've witnessed his actions since his NAU days. The guy has gamed and played the system like a maestro. Even back in the mid-90's after he took the job at CSU, Jurich rewarded his buddies at NAU by having them flown out to the Holiday Bowl to watch CSU. It was clearly on someone else's dime. The whole thing looked so dirty at the time and I was amazed the people in the NAU athletic department didn't bat an eye in taking the "free" trip to San Diego. I've watched from afar as Jurich played his cards at Louisville with Petino and football coach Bobby Petrino. I don't know how you can be a Louisville fan and not blush at the obscenity of it all.
Jurich also conspired, with Rick Smith I believe, to use his travel agency for NAU travel with no bid. Smith, the former Flagstaff High football coach, was let go, if I remember correctly, but Jurich continued.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

threenumberones wrote:The problem is the NCAA is hellbent on maintaining the essence of amateurism. I don't think they care about how significant their sports programs are in the greater world of athletics. It would be a 'get back to basics' mission, with focus on the educational foundation of the university. The role that the NCAA plays in being the developmental league for pro/olympic sports could be replaced by a glorified/unaffiliated club system...or more likely minor leagues for football/basketball. I don't think it's likely, but it also would not surprise me one bit either if they blew it up.
The NCAA has a tv contract for 1.1 billion a year for broadcast rights to March Madness. They won't be jeopardizing that any time soon. A back to basics system takes billions out of their pockets too. Pretending the NCAA doesn't have a huge monetary stake in this...
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ryen Russillo just had a former head coach on and he asked him how many colleges have a "Book" on their squad. He said about 100
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Ryen Russillo just had a former head coach on and he asked him how many colleges have a "Book" on their squad. He said about 100
Percent?
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

gumby wrote:
97cats wrote:every top 50 program for the last 25 years has paid for the vast majority of their top players.

the top, top programs pay for a much higher percentage due to the fact that they get a higher percentage of top players -- its been a know practice and somewhat accepted for as long as i can remember, and yes, Arizona is right there with the best of them.

the programs with the pedigree, resources, and willingness to "do what it takes" have had the clear advantage in landing the top stars.

where this falls on Adidas is that they have long been cornered with direct benefits to the teams they sponsor, whereas other programs like Arizona have had a deft process and tight secrecy.

Book exposed Arizona thru a channel it has never used, Adidas, for his own personal greed and gain -- not to mention 5k...and therein lies where all Arizona fans should be infuriated, fucking Book Richardson did this for 5k, 5 fucking k, and did so by going outside of the model that was so effective and un-penetrable up to this point.

so, its not about if the teams cheat, its how they cheat, and Arizona did it as good or better than anyone.

and one last thing, how do you guys think i know all the inside information i know? is it because you think i talk to Sean Miller everyday? or that Greg Byrne and Jim Livengood used to call me and tell me that Stanley Johnson was going to commit, or Aaron Gordon was coming to Arizona or that Chase Budinger was going to stay for his Jr year or that Sean Miller met with our main booster in Santa Fe or that John Calipari convinced Miller to come to AZ?

no, its because the web of involvement of people not directly affiliated with the program are intertwined in the mix, they are the ones who pull the strings and cover the man holes, and its like that at every school that handles their business effectively at this level.

its the darkest kept secret of of a 1000 or so people around the country at various universities who are not employees or staff members who are vital to the culture of college basketball today, and that culture is a culture of greed and billions and billions of dollars on the line.... from CBS and FOX to ESPN and Adidas and NIKE and Under Armor and Foot Locker and McDonalds and on and on and on.....
So then why are you such a fan? Why should anyone be a fan outside of the people who directly benefit? This is what I've never understood. People talk about the corruption and refs fixing games, and conferences playing favorites with teams and on and on, and I'm like, this is something you devote yourself to?

So best-case scenario is our coach is corrupt, but feds really want Adidas. So don't sweat it.

Seems to be me best-case scenario is that ALL of this gets blown up.
Gumby, why are you a fan? Like, there are lines that I wouldn't like crossed. I don't want people bribed, hurt, or cheated in some way in order to help Arizona/hurt opponents. So, I don't want Arizona assistants making shady deals with shady agents and shady shoe companies...

But there's billions of dollars wrapped up in the collegiate game, and massive resources spent on collegiate athletes.

From state-of-the-art arenas that cost millions, to special academic advisors, to charter flights to-and-from games, to vacations to Spain, to the shoes, shirts, backpacks, laptops, and all other associated "swag" that comes with being a high-level college athlete. Not to mention the social access, from parties in frathouses to networking opportunities with booster bigwigs.

It may be "legal", and it's not as bold-faced as directly giving money under the table, but you have to at least acknowledge that the entire sport has always revolved around enticing young athletes to come to your school. And, when it's a situation regarding a high-level athlete, the questions are "How good is this kid, and can we get him to come to our school?", not "How good are his grades, do you think he's an intelligent person who will enrich the academic profile of this school?".

I don't want University of Arizona representatives to break the rules. I don't want University of Arizona representatives to sweet-talk kids into shady deals. I'd like the University of Arizona to graduate as many players as possible. But outside of that, I want the school to try to win.