Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:So basically we got really fucked on Josiah Turner.

Yeah I brought him up. Still my favorite all time thread.
so youre saying that was a poor return on that investment????
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

My novel is really jacked up with typos. Sorry. It is a lot to type on a screen for an old man
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Quite frankly Pasternack is too much of a paranoid pussy to go in on this deal and I'm EXTREMELY confident in saying that. He'd possibly listen, but that's as far as it'd go.
further, he doesn't need and/or want an annuity -- its not about the extra money for Joe, hes got his from far, far more reaching places than his salary as an assistant and/or a coach and certainly isn't on the take to get his, he has no need.
Absolutely. If he sat down it would've been merely to listen how it'd help the program if at all. I bet Book told him about it, he said maybe, and that was that.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

How much do rivals and scout make per each kid they put in their top 15?

I'm assuming they are not actually ranking kids solely based on skill?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:So basically we got really fucked on Josiah Turner.

Yeah I brought him up. Still my favorite all time thread.
so youre saying that was a poor return on that investment????
Not for Tucson weed dealers
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote:How much do rivals and scout make per each kid they put in their top 15?

ahhhhhhhh, the Sonny Vicarro shadow -- youre a smart man, Al.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Brian Bowen was #19 and got 100, Quinerly got 15. I'm offended for Quin.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

NYCat wrote:Brian Bowen was #19 and got 100, Quinerly got 15. I'm offended for Quin.
like I said its not linear and there may have been the promise for more, I have no idea.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
97cats wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
This cuts to a question I was interested in. Book said he needed 15k to finish the recruitment of Quinerly and it was implied he'd previously given money to Quinerly. Why would he (or anyone) lay in the vast majority of the money pre-commit?

It just sounds wrong that if most players are getting 150ish that Book would do 135k pre-commit then beg the extra 15k from a relative stranger. Or why it would be that amount that put it over the top at all. Just odd to me.
what was Quin ranked by Rivals and Scout??

exact ranking
Scout: 22
Rivals' 22
ESPN: 23
247: 14
Composite: 19

I guess he missed the cut off point

But how does one fiddy go down to only 15k for top 25 player, why not 75 or 80 or 60 or 40 or something that's not as low as 15

Bowen was 20-15 ish and got 100
That was what struck me as odd. Quinerly was 4-5 spots lower than Bowen, so i figured if Bowen was getting 100, Quinerly would have been 60-75 at least and the 15k was a weird amount.

You know, new news needs to break soon or I'll just go nuts.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
Alieberman wrote:How much do rivals and scout make per each kid they put in their top 15?

ahhhhhhhh, the Sonny Vicarro shadow -- youre a smart man, Al.
Don’t big business that’s in bed with NCAA own all recruiting websites. CBS owns scout last I checked...yahoo bought rivals...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:
Don’t big business that’s in bed with NCAA own all recruiting websites. CBS owns scout last I checked...yahoo bought rivals...
yes but I don't think any of it goes all the way up on the cash payouts, the Vicarro reference was really picking on him from back in the late 80'/90's when he made what we're discussing in vogue...eventually he even grew out of that.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Got it. But those companies have a lot to lose if/when shit goes down.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

How much did Bagley get, if anything at all, because we're talking about Duke where it's a privilege to even step on campus with the great Coach K?
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

TucsonClip wrote:

First, who the F sent Russ Smith a link here? perma-ban ASAP.

Second, here is the exact quote, since you like to post with less than 100% accuracy when citing quotes from the article:
Sood told an FBI witness on March 14 that "the (Arizona) coaches are interested in definitely working with us."

"As of now, the coaches haven't asked for anything," he told the witness, "but I'm sure when the time comes, they will, right?"
So you know more than Sood did in the report?
Russ breathes this stuff....and NCAA compliance or lack thereof, as well as scandal at other programs is a big thing for him. He would have found this place on his own. But I'd start with the other UCLA guy--what's his name?

Russ is actually not all bad, he's just well, Russ is Russ.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:Got it. But those companies have a lot to lose if/when shit goes down.
no question and that's why this is so massive and I'm speculating that the FBI got involved, cause this has seemingly polluted a huge part of corporate America.

the FBI doesn't give a fuck ultimately about Book Richardson and Tony Bland, they care about the money laundering from the shoe companies across state lines and the gargantuan profits that are made as a result of the illegal comingling and bribing of big business.

the NCAA however does give a big flying fuck about Richardson and Bland and everyone else.
Last edited by 97cats on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Bosy Billups wrote:How much did Bagley get, if anything at all, because we're talking about Duke where it's a privilege to even step on campus with the great Coach K?
you think Bagley and Duval went to Duke cause they wanted to be Blue Devils???
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Got it. But those companies have a lot to lose if/when shit goes down.
no question and that's why this is so massive and I'm speculating that the FBI got involved, cause this has seemingly polluted a huge part of corporate America.

the FBI doesn't give a fuck ultimately about Book Richardson and Tony Bland, they care about the money laundering from the shoe companies across state lines and the gargantuan profits that are made as a result of the illegal comingling and bribing of big business.

the NCAA however does give a big flying fuck.

I’d agree with that last sentence up and until it blows into a “too big to fail” scenario like the banks in ‘09. The last think the NCAA wants is fans to become disinterested in the product. They were happy to keep hitting knuckles when they found them, but they don’t want this blowing up. IMO.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:

I’d agree with that last sentence up and until it blows into a “too big to fail” scenario like the banks in ‘09. The last think the NCAA wants is fans to become disinterested in the product. They were happy to keep hitting knuckles when they found them, but they don’t want this blowing up. IMO.
I 100% agree -- and further they were complicit.

now that the FBI is here, they have no choice, and that's the scary part to me.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

I 100% agree -- and further they were complicit.

now that the FBI is here, they have no choice, and that's the scary part to me.
Scary for everyone cause of power to do what NCAA couldn’t and won’t...
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

97cats wrote:

the NCAA however does give a big flying fuck about Richardson and Bland and everyone else.
Could be political. Odd that they're going after a foreign entity Adidas, when Nike could have easily been their prime target. Hmm.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Bosy Billups wrote:
Could be political. Odd that they're going after a foreign entity Adidas, when Nike could have easily been their prime target. Hmm.
Adidas has always been the sloppy and direct player of those involved -- brash even.

they were the easy choice to target first to get the ball rollin...Adidas was the 'Gateway' sponsor.

make no mistake, the others are being pressed and will continue to be pressed, this is far from just an Adidas issue.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

alright, Dudes peace out till later -- my gut tells me Miller is gonna have a tough time surviving this.

if he does, he really is a Witch.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Nike was implicated by the FBI in bribery involving the Brazilian national soccer team. Though I don't know if any specific employee was ever arrested as has happened to Gatto. So no, the Feds don't care where the company is from.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Eek no bueno. .something changed or must of come to light.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prh

Post by prh »

97cats wrote:alright, Dudes peace out till later -- my gut tells me Miller is gonna have a tough time surviving this.

Thanks again 97. When you come back, mind explaining the seemingly change of opinion from the last two days?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

97cats wrote:alright, Dudes peace out till later -- my gut tells me Miller is gonna have a tough time surviving this.

dolemite79

Post by dolemite79 »

whoa whoa whoa, what A cliffhanger. Why the change? you said no chance miller gets fired
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

If he doesn't, grabbing Romar is the pimpest, most loyal shit ever. He'd be the ideal replacement facing sanctions. Sad, bear down for CSM for hopefully many more years!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bosy Billups wrote:
97cats wrote:

Adidas and UA were/are the ones trying to get up in the door and up their market share. Nike has been at this longer than anyone.

Adidas just eclipsed Jordan Brand for the 2nd biggest sneaker share in the US. How nuts is that, that Nike was a dominant #1 and their subsidiary Jordan Brand was #2.

I would wager Adidas and UA had to take some chances Nike didn't. Just look at how much more Adidas was paying colleges for outfitting rights. Easily 2-3 times what Nike spends.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dolemite79 wrote:

whoa whoa whoa, what A cliffhanger. Why the change? you said no chance miller gets fired
Yeah, geez, thanks for killing my night's sleep with that last drop.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

dolemite79 wrote:

Not to speak for him, but if anything, probably mountig pressure from the outside to can him or do something
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

CalStateTempe wrote:Eek no bueno. .something changed or must of come to light.
Nice. 97 talked us off the ledge and now he's inviting us to take a step closer to see the amazing view of the street way down below.
:D
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

it's okay
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Longhorned wrote:it's okay
Promise?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Longhorned wrote:it's okay
prh

Post by prh »

Maybe 97 just wants some entertaining reading material when he wakes up :)
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Wow that was a mic drop if I've ever seen one.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

This is where the community needs to rally behind Miller, like 100%. That will keep him in the fam for life (and no, this won't happen again)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

97cats wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:How much did Bagley get, if anything at all, because we're talking about Duke where it's a privilege to even step on campus with the great Coach K?
If you read their boards, they think duke is a big enough of a draw where they don't need to pay for kids.

All of this should have went down with Sidney as it was super transparent
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:
97cats wrote:
If you read their boards, they think duke is a big enough of a draw where they don't need to pay for kids.

All of this should have went down with Sidney as it was super transparent
Every team's fans thinks they're the ones that don't need to get dirty.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Howland was definitely dirty at the end and it didn't save him. I can't imagine Alford' s charm pulled in Looney
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote:Howland was definitely dirty at the end and it didn't save him. I can't imagine Alford' s charm pulled in Looney
Or Wilkes.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

From Pollyanna "purity of sport" types no doubt.

Either that or book rolled, throwing the whole he's form the hood snitches get stitches talk out the window.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Book is a weak and compromised man.

Fuck that guy seriously for what he did to the program and miller.
Chicat

Re: Frankly, My Dear, I Don't Give a Damn

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote:
Chicat wrote: Any thoughts on what charges they'll be brought up on? You see what Book was charged with? What circumstances are you envisioning here?

You are literally the only person I've seen accusing players, and family & friends of those players, of federal crimes that would precipitate them telling the FBI about other federal crimes. Tax evasion across the board?
If one of the assistants, or one of the Shoe Company people charged with one of the crimes involving fraud by causing an ineligible player to receive a scholarship implicates another assistant or head coach in that payment, I believe they would be equally subject to being charged.

I expect Pitino will be charged with either fraud or conspiracy to commit fraud.

I believe that that is precisely how continuing criminal investigations proceed, and the reason the FBI suggested that parties contact them before waiting to be contacted ("We have your playbook....")

I have yet to see any commentators who are not expecting the ongoing investigation to yield many more charges.

I may be mistaken that the players or their representatives who solicited or accepted payments are subject to criminal prosecution, but I fully expect that the FBI will attempt to interview them. I suspect that tax evasion would be a separate matter addressed by the IRS; that would be avoided by declaring the income, which declaration/documentation would then be available as evidence in the FBI prosecutions.

Do you see any of this differently?
You said you were hoping "as many as possible who have in fact participated in this corruption becomes a convicted felon and does hard time. Period." And that athletes and their families would "turn state evidence".

I figured you had something more as far as the criminality with this scandal than the idea that the FBI's investigation isn't over and your own hurt feelings.

I was mistaken. And I think you've mistaken what is illegal and what is against NCAA regulations.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

you know what be cathartic? one of you higher profile posters, make a Predictions Thread. Not what you want to happen, but what you think will happen.

No debating or discussion, just as detailed a guess how things will go down.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Yeah..."Miller's noose is being made...

I'm out. Goodnight!"

Wait...what?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That's a great thread idea...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I think a lot of people were expecting some big things today...they didn’t happen. That doesn’t feel good when you’re one of the programs in the spotlight.