Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

KaibabKat

Re: TJ McConnell's 'MAGIC' Numbers

Post by KaibabKat »

That is a riot.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Steph Curry's "Whaaaaaaa..." look is priceless.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol...
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

and then TJ turned the ball over twice and got blocked in the final minutes to lose the game. That was the worst 3 minutes of TJs career Ive ever seen and I imagine the twitter hater is off his rocker
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

A reasonable person would say they lost by two to the defending western conference champions on the road, and TJ had an otherwise great game with 7 pts (3-7), 7 boards and 10 assists to four turnovers. But you're right, the dude probably broke some kind of twitter record last night.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Instead of taking a rejection like a man, TJ passed out just to pad his assist numbers.

Signed,
phillyfansince88
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So sweet
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Never missed a player as much as TJ
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

As a starter:
8.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 7.7 apg, 1.9 TOPG, 1.8 stpg, 49% FG, 22% 3pfg, 84% FT (TJ, $874,000)

10.5 ppg, 3 rpg, 8.9 apg, 2.6 TOPG, 1.8 stpg, 41 % FG, 31% 3pfg, 89 % FT (Ricky Rubio, $13.5 million)

7.5 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 6.5 apg, 2.4 TOPG, 1.4 stpg, 41% FG, 37% 3pfg, 63% FT (Rajon Rondo, $14 million)
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

TJ is only shooting 22% ?! That's pathetic, lol. Even more of a head scratcher is how Rondo is shooting 37%. Always thought he was turrible.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:TJ is only shooting 22% ?! That's pathetic, lol. Even more of a head scratcher is how Rondo is shooting 37%. Always thought he was turrible.
I've long thought that his three point shooting is really what could cement TJ as a 10 year pro. If he can get that going, his value increases exponentially.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Puerco wrote:TJ is only shooting 22% ?! That's pathetic, lol. Even more of a head scratcher is how Rondo is shooting 37%. Always thought he was turrible.
Yea , with Boston Rondo was a crap to at best "meh" three point shooter but always had an extremely high FG% due to his ability to get to the rim and finish extremely well. Of course that dips when you dont have teams worrying about Pierce, KG and Allen and you lose a step or two.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I've long thought that his three point shooting is really what could cement TJ as a 10 year pro. If he can get that going, his value increases exponentially.
Yep.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I know TJ was never a great shooter at UA, but 22% is certainly baffling. I'm going to chalk it up as an outlier.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

22% from 3. It sucks, but I don't think he shoots it a lot. Overall, he is shooting 49%, which means he gets his points from 2, and means he is probably shooting 60% from inside the arc.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

He's attempted 46 threes in 74 games. So yeah he doesn't shoot it a lot. But he has only made 10 of those 46.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

rgdeuce wrote:As a starter:
8.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 7.7 apg, 1.9 TOPG, 1.8 stpg, 49% FG, 22% 3pfg, 84% FT (TJ, $874,000)

10.5 ppg, 3 rpg, 8.9 apg, 2.6 TOPG, 1.8 stpg, 41 % FG, 31% 3pfg, 89 % FT (Ricky Rubio, $13.5 million)

7.5 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 6.5 apg, 2.4 TOPG, 1.4 stpg, 41% FG, 37% 3pfg, 63% FT (Rajon Rondo, $14 million)
This is, in a nutshell, why Philly went "hahaha. . .no." to LeBron during the trading period.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

But does TJ practice?
ghostwhitehorse

Nash on TJ. . . http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 4b7fe.html" target="_blank
But Nash says "there's still room for pure point guards, for sure. A little example is — Lonzo (Ball) is great — but the point guard in Philly. The kid from Arizona. T.J.

"I mean he's a pure point guard," Nash said of McConnell. "He makes your team better. I like watching Philly a little bit.

"He's kind of overmatched in a lot of ways, but he's smart, he's tough and he can make plays, and he's a pure point guard. And there's still tons of value for that, I think."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

With the Sixers/Celts trade, TJ's starting days are probably done.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

TJ may not see the court at all as they still have Bayless on the hook for 3 yrs and $27 mil. Hopefully he gets a better offer and bolts
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Come to sac TJ!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Come to sac TJ!
Cleveland was interested last year. That would be a nice landing spot to back up Kyrie. Deron Williams is on his last legs.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

More assists coming I guess.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Merkin wrote:More assists coming I guess.
Haha YES! That crazy TJ hater is gonna go off all year about how "TJs passes are awful and Reddick is saving him, thus the only reason TJ is averaging 14 assists per 48 minutes"
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

TJ's not going to get on the floor I'd bet.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

He will probably battle Bayless for the backup pg role. He's gonna stick in the league though, and the 6ers definitely know the value he brings.
ghostwhitehorse

PennZona20 wrote:He will probably battle Bayless for the backup pg role. He's gonna stick in the league though, and the 6ers definitely know the value he brings.
Or in Cleveland. . . LeBron seems to have a thing for 'Cats. . .
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Teams need to carry three point guards these days. TJ brings something Bayless doesn't and fits that faster pace of play the 76ers play. Redick will presumably eat up minutes combo Bayless would have had at the 2 off the bench. I could be completely off here, but my guess is TJ's playing time will be all over the place: some nights its a DNP, some nights its 4-6 minutes, some nights he could see 18 minutes, but I don't see him as the forgotten guy at the end of the bench.

Putting biases aside, I really like the way that offense works when TJ is on the floor and its obvious the team's younger talent like playing with him. If you watch him play without dickhead twitter guy's glasses on and look at his assist/assist to turnover and steals numbers per-36 minutes, it's easy to see how he is a guy that should still get minutes off the bench. I honestly think he is a better player than Bayless and now that they have Redick, they may not need the scoring and shooting Bayless brings because Redick will give you plenty of both.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

rgdeuce wrote:Teams need to carry three point guards these days. TJ brings something Bayless doesn't and fits that faster pace of play the 76ers play. Redick will presumably eat up minutes combo Bayless would have had at the 2 off the bench. I could be completely off here, but my guess is TJ's playing time will be all over the place: some nights its a DNP, some nights its 4-6 minutes, some nights he could see 18 minutes, but I don't see him as the forgotten guy at the end of the bench.

Putting biases aside, I really like the way that offense works when TJ is on the floor and its obvious the team's younger talent like playing with him. If you watch him play without dickhead twitter guy's glasses on and look at his assist/assist to turnover and steals numbers per-36 minutes, it's easy to see how he is a guy that should still get minutes off the bench. I honestly think he is a better player than Bayless and now that they have Redick, they may not need the scoring and shooting Bayless brings because Redick will give you plenty of both.
Terrific analysis rg. Agree completely, variable mins and clearly not forgotten. The rook will need time to rock into the new level. Also, it's been said Embid loves how well TJ sees him and the coaches know that.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

rgdeuce wrote:Teams need to carry three point guards these days. TJ brings something Bayless doesn't and fits that faster pace of play the 76ers play. Redick will presumably eat up minutes combo Bayless would have had at the 2 off the bench. I could be completely off here, but my guess is TJ's playing time will be all over the place: some nights its a DNP, some nights its 4-6 minutes, some nights he could see 18 minutes, but I don't see him as the forgotten guy at the end of the bench.

I agree w everything here. Still, TJ may ultimately find himself somewhere else in a year or two. He's definitely due for a pay bump soon. He's worth a few million a year based on the market at minimum.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://hoopshype.com/2017/07/08/nba-pla ... nderrated/" target="_blank

NBA players discuss who are the league's most underrated

Eastern Conference center: “The most underrated player in the NBA is TJ McConnell from the Sixers. If you just look at his stats, they’re never going to jump out at you, but that little f***er is tough. He’s a tough kid. I remember thinking, ‘Oh, I’ll just screen this little white boy and lay him out,’ but he fights through every screen. He’s gritty and he doesn’t back down from anyone. It’s hard being a point guard in today’s NBA because you’re going against a star most nights, but he holds his own. He demands respect every single night. If you don’t respect him entering the game, you’ll respect him by the second half.”
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Very cool Jefe! Thanks much for posting this. Bear Down.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Thanks, Jef! Cool props and terrific highlights link!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Why was the "eastern conference center" afraid to put his name on it?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Maybe because he called him a "little white boy?"
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

https://thesixersense.com/2017/09/21/ph ... cherreport" target="_blank

To finish, Brown commented on T.J. McConnell. It seemed extremely promising that McConnell will still play a decently sized role on the team. McConnell always gives 100 percent in every game. In fact, the team signed two free agents last season, and McConnell simply upped his game. That effort jumps out to the coaching staff. To emphasize the matter, he even sank a crazy buzzer beater.

Don’t rule out T.J.McConnell

It’s likely that McConnell will be the first guard off the bench. There’s a lot of flexibility in this Sixers team, McConnell could end up playing with the first-team alongside Simmons, Fultz or J.J. Redick.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I think TJ's eventual niche in the NBA is as a spot duty backup. He's an energy guy with solid character and a team first game. That is what you want off the bench. Fultz will give him the chance to fall into that role.

He has some limits as a starter, but as a bench guy, he provides great value and zero distraction.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

TJ over Bayless though?

https://thesixersense.com/2017/09/20/ph ... -rotation/" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:TJ over Bayless though?

https://thesixersense.com/2017/09/20/ph ... -rotation/" target="_blank
Bayless was at TJ's wedding so I don't think there'd be hard feelings.

And yes, I'd take TJ over Bayless. TJ has a well defined position and role. Bayless would be a minute stealer.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Here's a spot of good news that got missed in the kerfluffle...

And lets remember TJ is an exact copy of Miller...
https://zonazealots.com/2017/09/28/phil ... ley-award/
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Here's a spot of good news that got missed in the kerfluffle...

One of my favorite things about Miller is how prepared and knowledgeable he is when he talks with the media. Good note Mil, TJ has that same composure and respect for the forum.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Here's a spot of good news that got missed in the kerfluffle...

Special guy. Miss him. Really puts into perspective how big Arizona basketball is to us, when some of our players go on to do great things and it gives you that proud, father-like feeling.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

TJ will be a coach somewhere once he's done playing. Still think of him as one of my favorite badasses in U of A history. I still remember in the loss at Cal when Ashley broke his foot - 3 minutes left in the game, it's tied, Cal starts taking the ball up court, the Haas crowd starts getting noisy, and TJ starts waving his arms up telling the crowd, "If you're gonna make noise, let's do this sh*t. Louder."
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Get him back to Arizona when its time...
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

If you go to about 2/3 of way through this video you'll get a good honest feeling about college players again...I promise...TJ says he can't afford Chic-fil-A...Markel is so fresh...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/ma ... 7rxwzx0ti9" target="_blank