Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatFanOneMil

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by CatFanOneMil »

enfuego wrote:
Oh, I see how it works. I also see that the FBI typically doesn't arrest people without proof. They've only released bits of information to the media and not their entire case - publicly. So maybe cash never passed hands so their arrest for accusations which require it have been passed are for naught. See how that works yet?

Don't get me wrong now, I suspect most every program cheats. Arizona got caught. So, either punish Arizona or disband the NCAA and allow every program publicly pay recruits to play.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you are confused at this point, but Book did not get arrested for making claims that someone got paid shoe money, hell if that was a crime every news source in the US would be guilty this week, Book was arrested for taking bribe money and conspiring to fraud the UofA, you CAN be arrested for conspiring to commit a crime in case you were not aware, you do not actually have to pull it off to go to jail all the Prosecutor needs to demonstrate is that you conspired and intended to rob/defraud/etc., besides the fact that he actually took bribe money to funnel players to agencies in the future...in this discovery that the FBI released someone says that there is a player at Uni-4 that already got money and the conspirators did not have anymore expenses there, but that is also hearsay until evidence is produced that a current UA player has received money, just saying it happened does not make it a fact, hell if they had said they had paid for and provided hookers at the Pac12 tourney for Larry Scott it does not make it a fact even if I truly want it to be so.

You should learn to separate your desires for bad things towards UA BB from the actual facts they are two different things, and please don't bullshit and say you don't want bad shit on Miller because the majority of your post reveal a different desire.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
enfuego wrote:
Oh, I see how it works. I also see that the FBI typically doesn't arrest people without proof. They've only released bits of information to the media and not their entire case - publicly. So maybe cash never passed hands so their arrest for accusations which require it have been passed are for naught. See how that works yet?

Don't get me wrong now, I suspect most every program cheats. Arizona got caught. So, either punish Arizona or disband the NCAA and allow every program publicly pay recruits to play.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you are confused at this point, but Book did not get arrested for making claims that someone got paid shoe money, hell if that was a crime every news source in the US would be guilty this week, Book was arrested for taking bribe money and conspiring to fraud the UofA, you CAN be arrested for conspiring to commit a crime in case you were not aware, you do not actually have to pull it off to go to jail all the Prosecutor needs to demonstrate is that you conspired and intended to rob/defraud/etc., besides the fact that he actually took bribe money to funnel players to agencies in the future...in this discovery that the FBI released someone says that there is a player at Uni-4 that already got money and the conspirators did not have anymore expenses there, but that is also hearsay until evidence is produced that a current UA player has received money, just saying it happened does not make it a fact, hell if they had said they had paid for and provided hookers at the Pac12 tourney for Larry Scott it does not make it a fact even if I truly want it to be so.

You should learn to separate your desires for bad things towards UA BB from the actual facts they are two different things, and please don't bullshit and say you don't want bad shit on Miller because the majority of your post reveal a different desire.
Maybe there is more information out there that I don't know about which contradicts the below article and is the basis for you to say Richardson did NOT funnel money to players?

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 48499.html" target="_blank

Richardson is accused of taking $20,000 in bribes last summer and paying an unnamed recruit to commit to Arizona. It was part of a scheme in which three other college assistant coaches — USC’s Tony Bland, Auburn’s Chuck Person and Oklahoma State’s Lamont Evans — have also been implicated, according to the complaint.

The four coaches were among 10 people charged Tuesday with federal crimes, including managers, financial advisors and representatives of a major sportswear company.

At a New York news conference, Joon Kim, acting U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, called the case a two-part scheme: One involved bribes from managers to coaches for their assistance in securing future clients; the other involved Adidas and “advisors” who would make coach-requested payments to players and their families.

Between February and September, co-defendants Christian Dawkins and Munish Sood paid Richardson $20,000 in bribes, “some of which Richardson appears to have kept for himself and some of which he appears to have provided to at least one prospective high school basketball player” in order to recruit the player to UA, the complaint says.

In exchange for the money, Richardson agreed to direct UA players to hire Dawkins as manager and Sood as financial adviser following their college careers, according to the complaint.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

You are reading an editorialized news media version of the events. take the time and go read the actual FBI report...he is "accused" of a bunch of run on events by the media, the FBI reports do not actually verify that the players were paid...the article does not distinguish that.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Steller: University of Arizona basketball scandal smashes Tucson's delusions
Sep 30, 2017 Updated 7 hrs ago

http://tucson.com/news/local/steller-un ... 3968c.html" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

HiCat wrote:Steller: University of Arizona basketball scandal smashes Tucson's delusions

It's a good opinion piece, but I like what Chicat said about allowing shoe companies to pay players openly. I don't like this piece's suggestions:
Perhaps college football and basketball teams could be spun off by the universities as affiliated businesses without major academic requirements. Maybe players could be offered scholarships redeemable whenever they are ready to study.

The NCAA is right about this much: The athletes have to be students. The "student" part of "student athlete" doesn't have to be a charade.

College students, TV viewers, and residents in Tucson, Lawrence, East Lansing, and Los Angeles aren't going to care about openly minor-league teams that aren't really connected to college campuses.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

ESPN's Jay Bilas: FBI probe won't clean up college basketball
Updated on September 28, 2017 at 9:14 AM
Syracuse, N.Y. -- ESPN college basketball analyst Jay Bilas said the FBI's investigation into college basketball's seamier side might have been shocking in some ways, but it shouldn't have been a surprise that college coaches, agents and sneaker companies were willing to offer big bucks to prospective recruits.

"We act like the breaking of these rules is a big surprise,'' Bilas said. "I'm not shocked. I'm just shocked by the federal aspect of it. They usually go after bigger fish.

"But this isn't a surprise,'' he added. "This has been going on forever. This isn't the first time that players have schemed to get paid or coaches have schemed to pay them and it won't be the last.''
"This is a big business,'' Bilas said. "That this multi-billion dollar business is suddenly going to change is ridiculous when you've got this amateur component. It facilitates an underground economy.''

If colleges paid the athletes, according to Bilas, much of the incentive to offer or accept illegal payments would be taken away.

"If you allow the players to be paid, first of all, it brings all the commerce above board,'' Bilas said. "The only thing that changes the dynamic here is we admit what we're doing and we allow the players to be paid commensurate with their fair market value.''
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketbal ... prise.html" target="_blank
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Longhorned wrote:
HiCat wrote:Steller: University of Arizona basketball scandal smashes Tucson's delusions

It's a good opinion piece, but I like what Chicat said about allowing shoe companies to pay players openly. I don't like this piece's suggestions:
Perhaps college football and basketball teams could be spun off by the universities as affiliated businesses without major academic requirements. Maybe players could be offered scholarships redeemable whenever they are ready to study.

The NCAA is right about this much: The athletes have to be students. The "student" part of "student athlete" doesn't have to be a charade.

College students, TV viewers, and residents in Tucson, Lawrence, East Lansing, and Los Angeles aren't going to care about openly minor-league teams that aren't really connected to college campuses.
I fail to see how it won't continue to be a charade if they're openly paid even by sources that are exclusively not affiliated with the schools. Why bother at that point? The only way that pans out even moderately successfully is if the OAD rule manages to survive all of this. Otherwise, most of these Top 100 kids will and probably should go the Ferguson-Mudiay-Jennings route and go pro somewhere else for year or go straight to the draft. Why bother with academic requirements when I can still get paid elsewhere and do nothing but work out and play ball? And if the OAD rule stays, why wouldn't the "student" part of this remain the joke it already is for these kids who are basically on campus for 5-6 months?

You're right that I'd have no interest in following a Tucson Toros version of hoops here in town -- the possible exception being if there are some bona fide next generation stars on the roster -- but as a guy I know on another board put it, I'd have no problem getting season tickets for a UofA team comprised of "Joe Slide Rules" and "Johnny Oscilloscopes." I'm probably in the minority on that, I realize.
Last edited by Pop McKale on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You think no one in the top 100 sees any value in the academic, social, and networking opportunities of the college experience?

There are plenty of disadvantages to playing overseas, not the least of which is that you go from being a teen living at home to having to adult in a foreign place you may not even know the language and playing against grown ass men.

If I had my choice, I'd rather get a free education and a fat check from a shoe company, all while playing on American television so my family that can't make it to the games can see me.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:You think no one in the top 100 sees any value in the academic, social, and networking opportunities of the college experience?

There are plenty of disadvantages to playing overseas, not the least of which is that you go from being a teen living at home to having to adult in a foreign place you may not even know the language and playing against grown ass men.

If I had my choice, I'd rather get a free education and a fat check from a shoe company, all while playing on American television so my family that can't make it to the games can see me.
Not to mention the unlimited free access to Arizona coeds.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Chicat wrote:You think no one in the top 100 sees any value in the academic, social, and networking opportunities of the college experience?

I'm sure many do, Chi. That really isn't my concern or my point, though. The players will make it in the pros or they won't. The big caveat is if the NBA insists on sticking with OAD. In that case, we're just talking about legitimizing what already takes place with the noted disclaimer that any funds paid to athletes will not come from the schools. OK, fine. This will naturally spill into football and baseball. No way the women's sports can sit idly by so you probably have to look at paying women's basketball and softball, maybe even golf and tennis. We're going to make sure they all get paid as well? How will that work?

And no one's talking about how teams will be constructed or coached and managed with all of this out in the open. Player X who's getting a couple hundred thousand from Nike to go to Arizona but isn't getting the PT the shoe company or whomever is pulling the strings wants to see. No negative influence there? One small example of many perils I can foresee. Why? The money.

And again, this goes back to gumby's continuing mantra - why does this need to happen in conjunction with colleges and universities?
Last edited by Pop McKale on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:

Every once in awhile you pull a gem like this out. Well done.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Pop McKale wrote:

I'm sure many do, Chi. That really isn't my concern or my point, though. The players will make it in the pros or they won't. The big caveat is if the NBA insists on sticking with OAD. In that case, we're just talking about legitimizing what already takes place with the noted disclaimer that any funds paid to athletes will not come from the schools. OK, fine. This will naturally spill into football and baseball. No way the women's sports can sit idly by so you probably have to look at paying women's basketball and softball, maybe even golf and tennis. We're going to make sure they all get paid as well? How will that work?
Players are paid what shoe companies want to pay them. If Nike notices the next great female soccer star and wants her to market their apparel, nothing would stop them from paying her to do so.
Pop McKale wrote:And no one's talking about how teams will be constructed or coached and managed with all of this out in the open. Player X who's getting a couple hundred thousand from Nike to go to Arizona but isn't getting the PT the shoe company or whomever is pulling the strings wants to see. No negative influence there? One small example of many perils I can foresee. Why? The money.
If schools and coaches can't make lucrative apparel deals, how can there be pressure or influence? And even if a guy isn't getting playing time, that doesn't mean all marketing would stop.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Chicat wrote: If schools and coaches can't make lucrative apparel deals, how can there be pressure or influence?
You're already putting a lot of faith in this and at the end of it all if it's set up the right way you may end up being right. Forgive me, though, if it sounds eerily similar to someone 25 years ago saying "What do you mean they're paying players to go certain schools?" or "What do you mean they forged his transcripts to make him eligible?" When big dollars are involved it would seem there's always pressure and influence.

Again, this all makes it a professional venture right out of high school. So why not just eliminate the middle man for the small percentage of athletes to which this really applies? Believe me, I'm all for the free market and if you can go out and make some bucks on the up-and-up, then crack a nut. Still, make the case for me that this should be done via institutions of higher learning most of which already have myriad financial issues of their own to overcome.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

CalStateTempe wrote:
CatHoops wrote:Ya who knows Pac 12 media day should be interesting
October 11-12.

Clocks ticking.
Anyone think Romar attends in place of CSM?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

LBdCactus wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
October 11-12.

Clocks ticking.
I understand that some of us who think he should speak are considered stupid by others because 'he'd be a fool to say ANYTHING right now". Those same folks are quick to point out to those attacking CSM that 'He is not even alleged to have done anything improper at this point' - which is true.

I LOVE Miller and support him,, but hiding in a shroud of secrecy is going to have to end at some point; the uncomfortable questions are not going to go away. And the longer it lasts, the worse it looks - and for those who say "Who gives a shit"? He should, because in his world, Optics matter... and to suggest otherwise is really naive.

I have no idea what will happen, but if he were to send Romar in his place - that would be a flat-out pussy move. And if there is one thing I would NEVER consider Sean Miller - it's a pussy.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! wrote:

I see your point, but having had the chance to experience both in college, I'd take a euro babe everyday of the week and twice on sundays.

To each their own. Just to play devils advocate.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
LBdCactus wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
October 11-12.

Clocks ticking.
I understand that some of us who think he should speak are considered stupid by others because 'he'd be a fool to say ANYTHING right now". Those same folks are quick to point out to those attacking CSM that 'He is not even alleged to have done anything improper at this point' - which is true.

I LOVE Miller and support him,, but hiding in a shroud of secrecy is going to have to end at some point; the uncomfortable questions are not going to go away. And the longer it lasts, the worse it looks - and for those who say "Who gives a shit"? He should, because in his world, Optics matter... and to suggest otherwise is really naive.

I have no idea what will happen, but if he were to send Romar in his place - that would be a flat-out pussy move. And if there is one thing I would NEVER consider Sean Miller - it's a pussy.
I'm sure he wants to speak out and heard, because it's his style, but he works for the AD, University and the State - he's being told what to do or not do by powers above and lawyers. They are calling the shots.

I would imagine he'll be at the media day and will not comment on ongoing investigations, because it's what he's being told.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He will be at Pac 12 media day and any question involving this situation will be replied with no comment. I hope every one will be thrilled "he talked" after that.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:He will be at Pac 12 media day and any question involving this situation will be replied with no comment. I hope every one will be thrilled "he talked" after that.

Good way to handle it. Everybody wants details, but at this point not wise to discuss the case. Fbi/ Ncaa investigations moving forward. Let the process unfold completely before speaking publicly sounds like the best approach. There's no need to rush.
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

wyo-cat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
LBdCactus wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
October 11-12.

Clocks ticking.

I'm sure he wants to speak out and heard, because it's his style, but he works for the AD, University and the State - he's being told what to do or not do by powers above and lawyers. They are calling the shots.

I would imagine he'll be at the media day and will not comment on ongoing investigations, because it's what he's being told.
Yep. Its like with Trier, there is really nothing he can say.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Pop McKale wrote:
Chicat wrote: If schools and coaches can't make lucrative apparel deals, how can there be pressure or influence?
You're already putting a lot of faith in this and at the end of it all if it's set up the right way you may end up being right. Forgive me, though, if it sounds eerily similar to someone 25 years ago saying "What do you mean they're paying players to go certain schools?" or "What do you mean they forged his transcripts to make him eligible?" When big dollars are involved it would seem there's always pressure and influence.

Again, this all makes it a professional venture right out of high school. So why not just eliminate the middle man for the small percentage of athletes to which this really applies? Believe me, I'm all for the free market and if you can go out and make some bucks on the up-and-up, then crack a nut. Still, make the case for me that this should be done via institutions of higher learning most of which already have myriad financial issues of their own to overcome.
Sooooooo.... no more college basketball? I don't get the appeal.

The one-year rule is the NBA's. Nothing the NCAA can do about it. So what alternative does the NCAA have? Go back to living the myth that is amateurism, or proactively acknowledge that allowing kids to market themselves allows them to take care of themselves and their families, while removing at least some of the money pressure from the coaches and schools.

And let's not forget, this could very well be an incentive to go to school and stay. Their market value to a sneaker company could go up. Let's say a guy is ranked in the 50-60 range and gets no shoe offers but then blows up his freshman year but not enough to move himself into the first round of the draft. Get that sneaker money and go back to school and improve your draft position young man...
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I do see a basis for all the cynicism about college hoops, but even here there is a lot of reason to NOT change too terribly much of the system (outside of keeping the shoe money away from kids until they leave)...

I think about the thousands of student athletes across 300 universities that will never go pro, I think about kids like Ray Smith who will not play in the NBA and I am thankful that there is a way for them to get an education.

Education is what will save us (not jobs by the way, college is a very expensive way to find a job)...

I DO despise the effect the OAD rule has on education (its a slap in its face most of the time) and yes there are some negatives the college sports smear onto education (UNC?)...but these universities as a general rule are the only way our country is going to advance.

You want my solution to the corruption in college sports?

Its fucking easy...so damn easy no one has even considered it.

Make college education free like about 90% of the rest of the world...that way these kids playing at the universities are there for the exact reason they are there and that is to bolster the status of the university's reputation, EXACTLY the same as the shoe companies reason to dump money into it...if education was free this probably wouldn't be half the issue it is...it would simply be a matter of people trying to cheat the system that is already in place.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Pop McKale wrote:

I'm probably misunderstanding what you wrote, but the only way big dollars won't be involved is if the students, alumni, and the public stop following the sport. One good way to ensure that happening is the elimination of players good enough to be future pros.

As you know and seem to support, any college student can make as much money outside the university as anybody wants to pay them. Like Chicat said, some future pro's have good reasons for wanting to go the college route. It seems strange that we should have rules to prevent them from having outside sources of income while they pursue that.

You point out a potential conflict: What if a shoe company's investment in a player runs up against a situation where he sees less playing time? This opens the head coach to the risk of bribery by the shoe company. But this danger is found everywhere in the world, and institutions have to put in place incentives to prevent it. For example, the institution and shoe company can require that players are paid in accordance with floor minutes. I don't know whether that's a good solution, but somebody smarter than me can and will have better ideas that keep rather than close the options available for players and programs.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:

Which demonstrates that staging these as college games has value. It would be fun to call the bluff and say, "OK, they can be paid, but these games will no longer be affiliated with colleges. Take it off campus."

The response: "Just kidding. Let's keep it this way."

The payers have the option of taking it off campus now. If the players feel like Ramen Noodle servants, they can play there. Just add on to the AAU years and that becomes the minor leagues. This doesn't happen, because they get way more exposure this way. And the corruption ensues.
Right where I want to be.
az91

Post by az91 »

LBdCactus wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
October 11-12.

Clocks ticking.
I think it is entirely possible. Miller may have to keep quiet for the time being.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

All these "pay players directly" calls, with apologies to Jay Bilas, whom i like, seem to forget the vast majority of players are 4 year guys and are gettinf a great deal. While i do believe we should have a real cost of college and a stipend similar to a rich kid getting an allowance from the school, if you were to separate payment levels based on conference/prestige, you really don't have an NCAA tournament as we know and love now...you would need to have different championships.

This rampant "problem" is not really a problem, and I, quite frankly, don't mind the current system and the occasional NCAA bust. I know...i am awful. But let the black market that will always be continue to be. Dont endorse it...force them to hide, to decide whether the chance of being caught is worth it.

But 323 D1 schools with 14 or 15 players...and we are talking about issues with one and done that impact maybe 10 kids, and players scoffing at academic requirements, but how many of 5000 D1 basketball players will leave early? The vast majority will likely get their degree with the academic support systems schools have. If they don't get a degree, they are incredibly close to, and i would say the scholarship should be a 5 year contract with the player allowed to transfer with the one year penalty and a program should have to show cause to terminate the contract. So 4,950 players play 4 years or have the opportunity minus injury or dropping out, and we over-analyze the 50 who don't get the full 4 years of education (willingly or otherwise, the result is a degree and exposure to a network of alumni that is invaluable, especially as a former player). Oh, dear...the system is ruined. No, really, it isn't...the tournament is fantastic, the team of 5 seniors from a 13 seed always does something, the vast majority of players stay 4 years, and the NCAA will bust the 'cheaters. Honestly, if it wasn't for the FBI getting involved, there would be no issue here. And if this is It? Then the FBI wasted money for 3 years of investigating 3 fucking teams with a 4th having an idiot coach call up someone under surveillance like some kind of comedy where the guys in the van's eyes get wide like "holy shit...this is awesome"? This is what 3 years of resources was wasted on? There better be a shit ton more than this, or the sup who authorized this total waste of money should get fired.

Anyways, I am going all over the place. My main point is we are all getting all wound up, at a conceptual level, about a "broken system" that actually works pretty damn good. We have to deal with this, obviously, but just wait, let the shoe drop (see what I did there), punish, and move on. Change the scholarship rules, allow for a high end allowance to be included, maybe even paid out of a donated fund, and let's get on with it. I know this is wishful thinking, but dammit, no one was getting hurt any more than they will in any system, and the rewards out-flank the issues from my POV.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

EVCat wrote:All these "pay players directly" calls, with apologies to Jay Bilas, whom i like, seem to forget the vast majority of players are 4 year guys and are gettinf a great deal. While i do believe we should have a real cost of college and a stipend similar to a rich kid getting an allowance from the school, if you were to separate payment levels based on conference/prestige, you really don't have an NCAA tournament as we know and love now...you would need to have different championships.

This rampant "problem" is not really a problem, and I, quite frankly, don't mind the current system and the occasional NCAA bust. I know...i am awful. But let the black market that will always be continue to be. Dont endorse it...force them to hide, to decide whether the chance of being caught is worth it.

But 323 D1 schools with 14 or 15 players...and we are talking about issues with one and done that impact maybe 10 kids, and players scoffing at academic requirements, but how many of 5000 D1 basketball players will leave early? The vast majority will likely get their degree with the academic support systems schools have. If they don't get a degree, they are incredibly close to, and i would say the scholarship should be a 5 year contract with the player allowed to transfer with the one year penalty and a program should have to show cause to terminate the contract. So 4,950 players play 4 years or have the opportunity minus injury or dropping out, and we over-analyze the 50 who don't get the full 4 years of education (willingly or otherwise, the result is a degree and exposure to a network of alumni that is invaluable, especially as a former player). Oh, dear...the system is ruined. No, really, it isn't...the tournament is fantastic, the team of 5 seniors from a 13 seed always does something, the vast majority of players stay 4 years, and the NCAA will bust the 'cheaters. Honestly, if it wasn't for the FBI getting involved, there would be no issue here. And if this is It? Then the FBI wasted money for 3 years of investigating 3 fucking teams with a 4th having an idiot coach call up someone under surveillance like some kind of comedy where the guys in the van's eyes get wide like "holy shit...this is awesome"? This is what 3 years of resources was wasted on? There better be a shit ton more than this, or the sup who authorized this total waste of money should get fired.

Anyways, I am going all over the place. My main point is we are all getting all wound up, at a conceptual level, about a "broken system" that actually works pretty damn good. We have to deal with this, obviously, but just wait, let the shoe drop (see what I did there), punish, and move on. Change the scholarship rules, allow for a high end allowance to be included, maybe even paid out of a donated fund, and let's get on with it. I know this is wishful thinking, but dammit, no one was getting hurt any more than they will in any system, and the rewards out-flank the issues from my POV.
Co-signed
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:He will be at Pac 12 media day and any question involving this situation will be replied with no comment. I hope every one will be thrilled "he talked" after that.
Exactly what I expect.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

Feel free to talk me off the ledge, but...

Anybody else getting an uneasy feeling about this whole thing? The notion that this is rampant (it is) and more big programs will be implicated seems to be waning. It is starting to feel like L'Ville and UA are the big names, and the Feds are more interested in going after the big money (Adidas, Nike, et al). I am getting this sinking feeling that the 7 schools named initially are the only ones. And the NCAA will be more than happy to make an example out of the initial schools named. They have to show that they are cracking down after all (and yes, that scene from Casablanca comes to mind).

Probably nothing more than a reaction to the weekend, and the lack of news...
Russ Smith

Post by Russ Smith »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
enfuego wrote:

People keep citing the defrauding the school stuff as a reason they believe Arizona is a victim of a rogue coach here. If you read all the legal opinions on this case people are completely missing that point. The statute cited here is remarkably known as USC 666 and part of it requires that they can show someone acted "corruptly". That is why the FBI cited these coaches as defrauding their employers by breaking the rules, it allows them to then charge the coaches with a Federal Crime.

They don't actually believe the schools are the victim here but the way the FBI works is they charge people with crimes and then try to get them to implicate other people, that's all they did here. The FBI isn't remotely stating Book was a rogue coach here they just said he acted corruptly and that allowed them to use the statute to charge him with federal crimes.

you're using the exact same rationale here that USC fans did with Bush and Mayo and that UNC did with their academic scandal it's just one guy going rogue. You guys keep talking about what a weak person Book is, if you as fans know that you don't think control freak Sean Miller knew that too? And if the agent is telling the truth about being allowed to attend Arizona's practices, there's no way that is fostering an atmosphere of compliance.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Russ Smith wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
enfuego wrote:you're using the exact same rationale here that USC fans did with Bush and Mayo and that UNC did with their academic scandal it's just one guy going rogue. You guys keep talking about what a weak person Book is, if you as fans know that you don't think control freak Sean Miller knew that too? And if the agent is telling the truth about being allowed to attend Arizona's practices, there's no way that is fostering an atmosphere of compliance.
Russ, will you start kneeling every morning in protest if Miller keeps his job and keeps beating UCLA? Sorta sounds that way.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Russ smith missed the lesson of less is more.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yes phenom as I began thinking yesterday, I don't think the Calvary is coming and I think we are screwed per the NCAA and Larry scotts pac12
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hey Russ . . . no one asked you.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Speaking of Twitter... Anyone else find timing very coincidental that CSM deactivated his Twitter account in March, right after season ended but also as the events leading to Book's arrest were starting. Most likely one thing had nothing to do with the other, I'm guessing.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

LBdCactus wrote:Speaking of Twitter... Anyone else find timing very coincidental that CSM deactivated his Twitter account in March, right after season ended but also as the events leading to Book's arrest were starting. Most likely one thing had nothing to do with the other, I'm guessing.
Good point lbd, he did it after people ripped on him for the Xavier loss but I wonder if this was a factor as well.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

LBdCactus wrote:Speaking of Twitter... Anyone else find timing very coincidental that CSM deactivated his Twitter account in March, right after season ended but also as the events leading to Book's arrest were starting. Most likely one thing had nothing to do with the other, I'm guessing.
It's interesting - but go back and listen to his interview with Jody Oehler on why he did it. It's pretty convincing and makes sense.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Chicat wrote:Hey Russ . . . no one asked you.
That's his calling card. "Hey guys, let me drop some wisdom for you, even though you don't want or need it. I know you all think you are miserable, but let me make it worse with my know-it-all-ness in a minimum of 1,000 words."
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Well, it's very good for Russ if Miller/AZ is penalized, and even better if Miller somehow doesn't survive this. Dude is rooting pretty hard for bad news out of Tucson. He's putting a lot of energy into this.

The longer this drags out, the better I think it actually looks for Miller staying right where he is. Which is what most of us want.

Bear down, Coach! Stay strong!
Russ Smith

Post by Russ Smith »

TucsonClip wrote:
That's his calling card. "Hey guys, let me drop some wisdom for you, even though you don't want or need it. I know you all think you are miserable, but let me make it worse with my know-it-all-ness in a minimum of 1,000 words."
hey if you guys all want to grasp at the wrong straw feel free.

The FBI didn't do all this to prevent 4 assistant coaches from defrauding their schools, they did it to be able to pursue federal crimes and see who else they can get in the net.

There's a great thread on USChoops about the legal aspects here, a USC fan Chase is grasping at the same straws you guys are, and UCLA fan shipwreckedcrew, a former federal prosecutor, is explaining to him why he's wrong and why the FBI did what they did. It's by far the best analysis I've seen on this. You guys keep saying I want UA to be guilty here as if none of you are speaking because you want UA to NOT be guilty. I think tons of schools have done the same thing and will eventually get implicated too, but that doesn't mean Arizona is the victim of a rogue assistant coach.

http://uschoops.com/vbulletin/forum/mai ... stigations" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hey Russ . . . if I wanted to hear the self-involved ramblings of an annoying know-it-all asshole, I'd invite my father-in-law over for dinner.

Kick rocks fucko.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

lol

didn't read russ. pretty soon you'll be going on ignore.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chicat wrote:Hey Russ . . . if I wanted to hear the self-involved ramblings of an annoying know-it-all asshole, I'd invite my father-in-law over for dinner.

Kick rocks fucko.
:lol: :P

Too funny
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Chicat wrote:Hey Russ . . . if I wanted to hear the self-involved ramblings of an annoying know-it-all asshole, I'd invite my father-in-law over for dinner.

Kick rocks fucko.
It's possible you missed Russ' thesis: If you combined Shipwreckedcrew (UCLA law) with Chaseinmanhattan (USC law) who disagree quite a bit on this FBI indictment (a lot actually) and its viability, you will find a dream team.

Name a person who doesn't want the Feds to go down in this David vs. Goliath matter? I mean an assistant coach!

BOOK WILL GO FREE!

What is wrong with that?

P.S. The comments are kind of funny...if you scroll down.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

TucsonClip wrote:
This is by far the best analysis I've seen on this.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Pitino is selling his house. Who will be the first to report his wife is in Tucson meeting with a realtor? :shock:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ng-scandal" target="_blank
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Longhorned wrote:
Pop McKale wrote:

I'm probably misunderstanding what you wrote, but the only way big dollars won't be involved is if the students, alumni, and the public stop following the sport. One good way to ensure that happening is the elimination of players good enough to be future pros.

As you know and seem to support, any college student can make as much money outside the university as anybody wants to pay them. Like Chicat said, some future pro's have good reasons for wanting to go the college route. It seems strange that we should have rules to prevent them from having outside sources of income while they pursue that.

You point out a potential conflict: What if a shoe company's investment in a player runs up against a situation where he sees less playing time? This opens the head coach to the risk of bribery by the shoe company. But this danger is found everywhere in the world, and institutions have to put in place incentives to prevent it. For example, the institution and shoe company can require that players are paid in accordance with floor minutes. I don't know whether that's a good solution, but somebody smarter than me can and will have better ideas that keep rather than close the options available for players and programs.
No, you pretty well have it although I'll confess I've been all over the place with my posts this past week. As have many of us, I'm sure. I'm not advocating the disbanding of college basketball. Not at all. I love the game. As a kid, I'd scribble down the brackets as they were announced by Brent Musburger on CBS and then make my own bracket poster for the wall in my room. I still have a few socked away I think. I grew up with Lute Olson both at Iowa and at Arizona because my folks are Hawkeye alums. Got hooked on Ronnie Lester and the amazing 1980 run. Cried like a baby when UNLV made that ridiculous comeback to keep Iowa from the Final Four in 1987 just like many of you may have when Hunt made the 3-pointer over Lofton in 1989.

But, I'm not an NBA fan at all and have no interest in watching a pro or semi-pro league emerge in the collegiate ranks. I fully realize that's basically what we have now. Enjoyed watching Lakers/Celtics and then the Bulls dynasty (the first 3-peat more so than the latter) as a kid/college student, but lost interest in it after the mid-90's because of the constant migration of players, the way the game has been played (tons of iso, one-on-one, etc.) and all the attendant things that make it a pro sport and not amateur. To be fair, I've thoroughly enjoyed what Kerr and the Warriors have brought to the league and am glad other teams have tried to follow suit with their style of play but it's something I'll never really pay great attention to until it's deep into the playoffs.

Similarly, the experiences at Arizona Stadium and McKale Center have become more in line with what you'd see in the NFL and NBA stadiums and arenas - though done in a 2nd class manner to be blunt, and at the expense of some wonderful tradition and pageantry and the loss of some real love affairs with the kids on the team. My wife - born and raised Tucsonan and UofA lifer - has nearly zero interest in following Arizona Basketball anymore because she can't keep track of who's on the damn roster year to year. I'll admit my passion for it has really waned in the last decade, partially because we're neck deep in what our kids are doing and all that goes with that, but also for many of those same reasons. I never thought I'd see the day when we wouldn't be season football and basketball ticket holders, but here we are.

There's no investment to be made from my perspective. Many of these kids are here 5-6 months and then are gone. So much of the conversation about our players doesn't surround what they're actually doing here. It's all about the latest mock draft and how they project in the NBA game. And for many, that's all perfectly OK and many enjoy that aspect of it. I don't. Many players don't like the PT they get and want to move on to another school. I don't blame them at all. I blame the way the game is currently rigged. It's sad when stories like those of T.J. McConnell are the exception rather than the rule. Senior Days with one player honored - ONE - like this past season. Andre Iguodala has had an incredible career in the NBA and has become a fine ambassador for the UofA but folks conveniently forget how dysfunctional the team became his last season here and some would argue part of it was due to him going into full-on NBA audition mode. Similar conversations have happened regarding Trier and other past Wildcats trying to boost their own stock at the expense of the team. I can live without it.

I realize the era I describe is long gone so maybe my hope is that things are so corrupt the only option is a massive reset that will allow these wonderful players to go pro straight from high school and get to work on doing what they really want to do. That the AAU circuit is blown up to the point that high school sports reap the benefits and high school basketball in particular becomes relevant again. That those who aren't ready can go to great schools and programs and develop while getting a good education and one that is meaningful -- meaning the kids value it. That the schools, students, and community can embrace these players much more as their own. In the event that reset happens, you're far more likely to get more players here who really want to be HERE - for the campus, the climate, the chicks, the tradition, the fan support, the great coach, and some great academics that will help them in the likely event that they fall short of the NBA.

For me, there's no getting around the artificial nature of it if the players are paid to be in Tucson. I know many folks don't have a choice when they go to college if they can afford to go at all, but I was fairly lucky and could have gone a number of places. I chose Arizona for all the reasons many of you did. That name on the uniform has lost some meaning for me -- even before this past week's events. That's been a tough realization that's been magnified after what came to light last Tuesday.

So, that's where I'm coming from...whether it makes any sense or not I'll leave to you all.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Irish27 wrote:Pitino is selling his house. Who will be the first to report his wife is in Tucson meeting with a realtor? :shock:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ng-scandal" target="_blank
Lol getting out of town pretty quick there!!