Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by dmjcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
CatHoops wrote:Anyone think we self sanction with a post season ban?
Very, very possible.

In fact, self sanctioning and taking the hit now may very well be the smart move. The best (realistic) outcome for the UA is to take the punishment immediately and get it out of the way. The uncertainty will only drive recruits away (its already happening). If we self sanction and are lucky, the NCAA might agree with the punishment and all we lose is the 2018 tournament and probably a scholarship or two for a couple of years. The uncertainty might clear up before the end of the season and the damage to future recruiting classes would be minimized.

If we wait for the NCAA to sanction us, and play in the 2018 tournament, we might end up with a multi-year ban on postseason play. In that event recruiting would be destroyed for 2018, 2019 and 2020. We might not recover until the middle of the next decade. Taking the hit now and minimizing the damage to recruiting may very well be the smart route.
I've previously posted about how bad I think this idea is. The NCAA will add to self sanctions. The important part is not timing, but whether any self-imposed sanctions wind up being something appropriate for violations.

You don't earn any brownie points by self imposing too light a penalty. You harm yourself by self imposing too harsh a penalty. You do something good by self imposing a correct penalty.
Completely disagree.............its ALL about TIMING

If we self-sanction ourselves in 2018 and the NCAA agreed we would essentially limit the recruiting damage to the early signers this year. Wait, and we write off at least 2018 and 2019 (and possibly more). After 2-3 years of 3 star level recruits the UA basketball team will be in the same place as the UA football team.

Waiting to take our lumps down the road will only exacerbate the overall damage to the program.

What Miller and the UA need is certainty.......and to get this mess in the rear view mirror as quickly as possible.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote: After 2-3 years of 3 star level recruits the UA basketball team will be in the same place as the UA football team.
Except Miller can actually coach 3 star players as proven by his success at Xavier.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dmjcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
CatHoops wrote:Anyone think we self sanction with a post season ban?
Very, very possible.

In fact, self sanctioning and taking the hit now may very well be the smart move. The best (realistic) outcome for the UA is to take the punishment immediately and get it out of the way. The uncertainty will only drive recruits away (its already happening). If we self sanction and are lucky, the NCAA might agree with the punishment and all we lose is the 2018 tournament and probably a scholarship or two for a couple of years. The uncertainty might clear up before the end of the season and the damage to future recruiting classes would be minimized.

If we wait for the NCAA to sanction us, and play in the 2018 tournament, we might end up with a multi-year ban on postseason play. In that event recruiting would be destroyed for 2018, 2019 and 2020. We might not recover until the middle of the next decade. Taking the hit now and minimizing the damage to recruiting may very well be the smart route.
I've previously posted about how bad I think this idea is. The NCAA will add to self sanctions. The important part is not timing, but whether any self-imposed sanctions wind up being something appropriate for violations.

You don't earn any brownie points by self imposing too light a penalty. You harm yourself by self imposing too harsh a penalty. You do something good by self imposing a correct penalty.
Completely disagree.............its ALL about TIMING

If we self-sanction ourselves in 2018 and the NCAA agreed we would essentially limit the recruiting damage to the early signers this year. Wait, and we write off at least 2018 and 2019 (and possibly more). After 2-3 years of 3 star level recruits the UA basketball team will be in the same place as the UA football team.

Waiting to take our lumps down the road will only exacerbate the overall damage to the program.

What Miller and the UA need is certainty.......and to get this mess in the rear view mirror as quickly as possible.
Nah. We're gonna UNC this thing.

UNC lost diddly squat during this investigations. We'll be fine.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Our future recruiting is going to be fine.

All we have to do to start paying more.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Alieberman wrote:Our future recruiting is going to be fine.

All we have to do to start paying more.
If we go that route (paying more) I hope that Miller wises up and the next guy passing out envelopes is an under-secretary at the Paraguayan embassy (diplomatic immunity) who is getting the money via a shell company in Belize held by another shell company in the Caymans which is getting its money from a numbered bank account in Switzerland.........then I'm cool with your idea :lol:
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Great statement. Sure looks like Miller isn't going anywhere, and it definitely doesn't look like he would be in favor of any type of self-imposing crap.

I support Miller 100% and hope he is our coach for at least another 20 years.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Agreed, SUPPORT CSM!!! Let the AD know
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Exactly what I would have expected him to say.

Very appropriate statement, Coach Miller. You never disappoint.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hell yeah that is the some terrific news. I like the "to the best of my ability" clause as well.

Win AND Vacate!!!!
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Why couldn't this exact statement been made the same day? Glad it was made nonetheless. <3 CSM
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bosy Billups wrote:Why couldn't this exact statement been made the same day? Glad it was made nonetheless. <3 CSM
You can't gather the information underlying that statement same day. That statement says a ton.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Love the statement. Miller is not going anywhere, thank God. Sorry, Bruin fans in this thread. Your pain will continue.

Bear down!!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:Why couldn't this exact statement been made the same day? Glad it was made nonetheless. <3 CSM
You can't gather the information underlying that statement same day. That statement says a ton.
It really does. It's the "words" behind the words.

Bear down we're competing for a chipper!
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Statement also implies no one will be suspended or ineligible on the team, right?
conny24

Post by conny24 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Best part (at least in my hopeful thinking) is the source - Arizona Athletics. Hope I'm not reading too much into that.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I mean, going into opponents' arenas this year is going to be fun. ASU will have a field day. But whatever. Let's play some freaking basketball.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The statement is pretty nondescript.

What makes me happy is that it came from the official Arizona Athletics twitter. I expect by now that they've done preliminary digging and if it wasn't looking good for Miller, that wouldn't be coming from AZ Athletics.

There's at least gotta be some level of confidence to back Miller officially. Pitino never got that at Louisville for obvious reasons.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

conny24 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Best part (at least in my hopeful thinking) is the source - Arizona Athletics. Hope I'm not reading too much into that.
Ha. I was literally writing the same thing above when you posted. The source is easily, easily, easily the best thing about that. Unless Heeke is a total moron, official backing for Miller is a really good sign right now.
conny24

Post by conny24 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
conny24 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Ha. I was literally writing the same thing above when you posted. The source is easily, easily, easily the best thing about that. Unless Heeke is a total moron, official backing for Miller is a really good sign right now.
Yeah, sure feels like everybody is on the same team, which is about as much encouragement as we could expect at this point!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I think that was Miller's own words.

If not, the person in the AD who scripted it should be re-assigned... you don't use 'fully' twice in the same sentence if your job is to pen press releases.

If you are coach? Just fine...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bosy Billups wrote:Statement also implies no one will be suspended or ineligible on the team, right?
It doesn't imply that at all.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Zack Clark fucking threw Miller under the bus for this statement basically said "See he's guilty" I only had it on because I had to drive from La Cholla to Speedway, Fuck Zack Clark with a loaded Bazooka.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

To the best of my ability = I'm a good dude in a dirty business
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Zack Clark fucking threw Miller under the bus for this statement basically said "See he's guilty" I only had it on because I had to drive from La Cholla to Speedway, Fuck Zack Clark with a loaded Bazooka.
That guy is a tool.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:To the best of my ability = I'm a good dude in a dirty business
I respect Miller for not pretending like everything's ok. Book got busted by the FBI, so obviously something went bad.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The million dollar question(S) is what did Book tell the Feds? What do the Feds already know? And is Book telling the truth to save his skin or making stuff up? Or, will he fall on his sword?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Message from President Robbins...
Dear Arizona Family,

One week ago, our University community learned of the arrest of a member of our men’s basketball coaching staff, a result of a Department of Justice probe into criminal wrongdoing in college basketball. At the time of the revelation, I reiterated our commitment to compliance and to the high ethical standards that we demand of our entire university community.

Since arriving on campus in June, I have come to understand a great deal about our institution, specifically the incredible students, faculty, staff, and supporters who make Arizona unique. But I have also taken heart in the core values that go hand-in-hand with our daily work. Those values are why I have a responsibility to all of you to discover the truth in this matter, to take action if warranted, and to ensure that our policies and practices related to athletics compliance are among the best in the nation.

To that end, I want to share with you steps that we have taken to live up to our values.

· Upon learning of the indictment, we immediately consulted with the Office of the General Counsel and engaged in communications with officials from both the NCAA and PAC-12 Conference.

· We initiated formal dismissal proceedings against Emanuel Richardson, the assistant men’s basketball coach charged by federal prosecutors. Mr. Richardson was immediately relieved of all duties.

· At my direction, our Office of the General Counsel retained Steptoe & Johnson LLP, an internationally recognized law firm, to initiate an independent review of the allegations leveled by the Department of Justice against Mr. Richardson. Their review includes all of the allegations related to Arizona contained in the criminal complaints issued last week and any related legal issues or compliance concerns arising from those complaints. While the University is retaining the firm, I have given investigators my assurances that they have complete independence in their work. The investigative team is led by Paul Charlton, the Managing Partner of Steptoe’s Phoenix office and a former U.S. Attorney for the District of Arizona. The work of investigators from Steptoe’s Phoenix and Chicago offices began on Monday and will be completed as efficiently and as comprehensively as possible. We will share the results of their review.

· The University has also retained outside counsel to assist the institution with the Department of Justice’s criminal investigation, as well as with potential NCAA matters. Jackson Lewis is a world-renowned firm recognized for their expertise in complex criminal and civil cases, as well as in issues involving professional and collegiate sports. Attorney Paul Kelly, a highly respected former Assistant U.S. Attorney and trial attorney and Gregg Clifton, an accomplished sports lawyer and litigator, are leading the team. Jackson Lewis attorneys Gene Marsh, former Chair of the NCAA Committee on Infractions and one of the most widely respected attorneys in the field of NCAA enforcement matters, and John Long, an attorney with extensive experience in NCAA enforcement, eligibility, and compliance issues, will represent Arizona in any matters with the NCAA.

I have briefed the Board of Regents in its oversight capacity and will continue to provide the Board with regular updates. Should any new information come to light in the coming days and weeks, we will not hesitate to act or to take additional measures to fully address any issues.

The criminal investigation by the Department of Justice has no timeline and the independent investigation by Steptoe & Johnson will proceed expeditiously but may also be prolonged. In addition, any allegations of violations of NCAA bylaws must be thoroughly addressed by the University and by the NCAA. So, I ask for your patience as the necessary work continues, so that we all can have answers to our questions.

Since his arrival in April, our Director of Athletics, Dave Heeke, has been a wonderful addition to the University and a great partner to me since I came to Tucson, no more so than this past week. His insight, experience and integrity are on display each and every day, and Dave’s input on critical decisions has been invaluable.

Head coach Sean Miller has not been charged with—nor accused of—any misconduct and he has been fully cooperative and supportive of our efforts to determine the facts in pursuit of the truth. In a message that he shared with the community earlier today, Sean expressed his own devastation at the revelations last week and acknowledged his responsibility as the head coach to promote and reinforce a culture of compliance. Based on the facts that we know at this time, we support Coach Miller and intend to provide him with all of the tools necessary to meet our goals and expectations.

The tremendous young men in our basketball program deserve our continued support as they work towards the start of the season, and I have complete faith that our passionate fans will continue to show them our love.

As your President, it is my responsibility to do what is right, to do what is needed, and to do all that I can to ensure that every member of our community is proud to be a Wildcat. We will be a stronger University because of the actions that we have undertaken and I will continue to keep you abreast of any developments.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert C. Robbins
President
University of Arizona
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

A united front and a clear message is always good
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Oh this is great f-ing news.
Russ Smith

Post by Russ Smith »

Main Event wrote:

So he didn't know for nearly a year when the FBI tipped him off?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Holy crap these guys don't mess around, that attorney list reads like a who's who of "We've handled the Feds before" and even better heavy hitters with street cred with the NCAA...the fact that the university is 100% behind Miller just blows that bogus tweet on friday that Miller wasn't answering and questions right out of the water...the sports reporters can suck our collective dicks.Fuck 'em, zero respect for sports media fake news now.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

8-) Wooha
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Very happy to see this. Especially given how thorough the statement by Robbins is.

Bear Down CSM!
Last edited by LBdCactus on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:A united front and a clear message is always good
I'm sure they've done some investigation already. The fact that there's clear support of Miller can only be a positive.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Holy crap these guys don't mess around, that attorney list reads like a who's who of "We've handled the Feds before" and even better heavy hitters with street cred with the NCAA...the fact that the university is 100% behind Miller just blows that bogus tweet on friday that Miller wasn't answering and questions right out of the water...the sports reporters can suck our collective dicks.Fuck 'em, zero respect for sports media fake news now.
It was an appropriate statement from the prez... but let's not get carried away.

"Based on the facts that we know at this time, we support Coach Miller..."

That's not an indictment, but it is not unequivocal and unconditional support, either.

And based on the facts that have been released, it does not appear necessary to assemble a dream team of attorneys. But they did... and they are contracted to represent the University's interests - which right now appear to be aligned with Sean Miller's.

Nothing unusual about all of this… But the school didn't exactly place itself on the tracks in front of the coach. Just for some balance ...
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Russ Smith wrote:
Main Event wrote:

Nope. That's right.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Harvey Specter wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:Holy crap these guys don't mess around, that attorney list reads like a who's who of "We've handled the Feds before" and even better heavy hitters with street cred with the NCAA...the fact that the university is 100% behind Miller just blows that bogus tweet on friday that Miller wasn't answering and questions right out of the water...the sports reporters can suck our collective dicks.Fuck 'em, zero respect for sports media fake news now.
It was an appropriate statement from the prez... but let's not get cattied away.

That's not an indictment, but it is not unequivocal and unconditional support, either.

And based on the facts that have been released, it does not appear necessary to assemble a dream team of attorneys. But they did... and they are contracted to represent the University's interests - which right now appear to be aligned with Sean Miller's.

Nothing unusual and all of this… But the school didn't exactly place itself on the tracks in front of the coach. Just for some balance ...
This is as positive as it was going to get a week into this.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Russ Smith wrote:
Main Event wrote:

Who left the door open?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Main Event wrote:
Russ Smith wrote:
Main Event wrote:

Who left the door open?
It's for the best. Because this way, we get to endure Russ trying to make some kind of point.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Main Event wrote: Who left the door open?
LPT: If we don't quote the trolls they go away because no one can see them.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
It was an appropriate statement from the prez... but let's not get cattied away.

Nothing unusual and all of this… But the school didn't exactly place itself on the tracks in front of the coach. Just for some balance ...
Agreed Harvey. Voice of reason as usual. I would add to your analysis, ". . . to take action if warranted." The University has circled the wagons. As it should. It's a well-drafted measured statement.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Harvey Specter wrote:

"Head coach Sean Miller has not been charged with-nor accused of-ANY misconduct and he has been fully cooperative and supportive of our efforts to determine the facts in pursuit of the truth"

...the "NOR ACCUSED OF" part seems pretty unequivocal because it's followed by a big fucking ANY...
Last edited by CatFanOneMil on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Russ Smith wrote:
Main Event wrote:

Good point.

"Even though the FBI had tipped SM off earlier" (In fairness to SM, that was a poster here who said this, not Sean), SM didn't know anything till a week ago. Nevermind the chances the FBI would tip any citizen off about any matter would be, I would guess, near zero.

If you doubt the FBI thing, you best refer your thinking to that poster.....and any that bought into that line of thinking.

I did like the university's statement, however, the one coming from the President. It was informative, specific as to council, and came with 'qualified' support.

Better than nothing.
Last edited by Hank of sb on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Program & Miller likely aren't in trouble w the FBI & DOJ, which we knew. The NCAA is a different matter, which is what matters
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:Program & Miller likely aren't in trouble w the FBI & DOJ, which we knew. The NCAA is a different matter, which is what matters
True. But the NCAA stuff could take a while. There's no way in hell they're going to hand down some major penalty in the remaining weeks before the start of the season. That would be unprecedented.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The internal review by Steptoe and Johnson will be turned over to the NCAA, so they may have info sooner than we think.

Good to know Syndric landed on his feet!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Russ Smith wrote:
Main Event wrote:

Are you retarded? Anything before the complaint was filed, a week ago, was not a formal allegation, it's still an investigation. It's getting to that time when you stop being a prick and mucking up the boards.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
NYCat wrote:Program & Miller likely aren't in trouble w the FBI & DOJ, which we knew. The NCAA is a different matter, which is what matters
True. But the NCAA stuff could take a while. There's no way in hell they're going to hand down some major penalty in the remaining weeks before the start of the season. That would be unprecedented.
Yeah, which is why I don't get the big fuss over these statements. Basically Miller won't be fired today or in the near future, which would've been stupid before knowing anything anyhow.

If the NCAA finds anything egregious in a couple years that could still lead to Miller being forced out. Then again hookers don't get a guy fired anymore. Likely looking at mild sanctions if anything.