Post by Bosy Billups »

Did they get in a fight?

Smoke a doob?

Strange combo
UAEebs86

Re: Phelps / Pinder

Post by UAEebs86 »

Channel 4 just said Phelps bought Pinder a plane ticket to Australia

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

jeaus

just make it end
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

"Sorry, Keanu, but next time you'll have to built your own boat or be smuggled on a container ship."
Mike Luke's burner account.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

KillerKlown wrote:"Sorry, Keanu, but next time you'll have to built your own boat or be smuggled on a container ship."
I'm assuming the airplane ticket was for future travel such as Christmas break?
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

That would be my guess.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I would also hope that Phelps bought the ticket before Book was arrested, Pinder paid him back, and that this came out because compliance told everyone to come clean on everything.

So hopefully it’s all out in the open now and we can just play the fucking games.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

"When will it be just basketball?"

When they stop f*ucking up!

(Man, that's dumb, if true).
Right where I want to be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

1. It was a loan, which was paid back
2. It wasn't a trip to Australia, but nonetheless it was a place meaningful for Pinder.
3. Never link your text messages to your computer
4. This occurred well before the Book shit came to light.
5. Phelps didn't realize it was a violation cause it was a loan.
6. This is a nothing burger, merely Arizona being proactive in its own internal investigation.
7. Never link your text messages to your computer for christ's sake.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

5 day suspension without pay.. :o

Arizona Wildcats forward Keanu Pinder and assistant coach Mark Phelps were suspended Friday for breaking NCAA rules, it was announced shortly before UA’s season-opener vs. NAU.

Pinder was handed a one-game suspension, while Phelps was suspended five days without pay.

The reasoning was unclear — all the UA said is Phelps’ suspension was not related to the ongoing federal investigation — but now KVOA is reporting that the suspensions were the result of Phelps buying Pinder a ticket to fly home to Australia.
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... fbi-return" target="_blank
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:1. It was a loan, which was paid back
2. It wasn't a trip to Australia, but nonetheless it was a place meaningful for Pinder.
6. This is a nothing burger, merely Arizona being proactive in its own internal investigation.
Not too big of a deal but with everything else going on the entire AD needs to lock it up better
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:1. It was a loan, which was paid back
Not too big of a deal but with everything else going on the entire AD needs to lock it up better
This is them.showing that they are. In any other circumstances at any other school anywhere this incident is not discovered and you never hear.about it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I would imagine a kid using someone’s credit card to book air travel is a pretty common occurrence.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't believe that for a second. These coaches have NCAA compliance drilled into them constantly.

The basic tenet being that you cannot treat give a student-athlete benefits differently than you can a non-athletic student.

UA AD has a NCAA compliance officer whose sold job is that ensure compliance with NCAA rules. Phelps didn't even ask them?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

That's just what I was told Merk, I have no idea what Phelps really knew and what he didn't or who he discussed it with outside of Pinder of course.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:That's just what I was told Merk, I have no idea what Phelps really knew and what he didn't or who he discussed it with outside of Pinder of course.
I really appreciate you passing that information on ChooChoo.

Like Chicat said, this may be a very common occurrence in college sports.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:That's just what I was told Merk, I have no idea what Phelps really knew and what he didn't or who he discussed it with outside of Pinder of course.
I really appreciate you passing that information on ChooChoo.

Like Chicat said, this may be a very common occurrence in college sports.
Might be but with everything else can't have this.

Need everything ran through compliance
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:5. Phelps didn't realize it was a violation cause it was a loan.

I don't believe that for a second. These coaches have NCAA compliance drilled into them constantly.

The basic tenet being that you cannot treat give a student-athlete benefits differently than you can a non-athletic student.

UA AD has a NCAA compliance officer whose sold job is that ensure compliance with NCAA rules. Phelps didn't even ask them?
I do. The NCAA has a ton of rules, and they aren't exactly simple to navigate. I'll post two of their FAQ's:

"Can a college-bound student-athlete be paid for appearing in a commercial or receiving an endorsement?

College-bound and current student-athletes who want to compete at Division I and II schools need to preserve their eligibility by meeting NCAA amateurism requirements. If a college-bound student-athlete is paid for appearing in a commercial or receives an endorsement before he or she is accepted at an NCAA member school, his or her eligibility could be affected.

If the college-bound student-athlete was chosen for the commercial or other event for reasons other than athletic ability, he or she may be compensated. If the college-bound student-athlete was chosen to participate because of his or her athletic ability, he or she may not be paid. However, the prospective student-athlete may receive expenses related to the commercial event such as meals or lodging.

Can a student-athlete accept prize money?

In all sports except tennis, a student-athlete or prospective student-athlete may accept prize money as long as the amount of the prize is less than or equal to his or her expenses for participating in the competition, such as meals or lodging. The prize money may not pay for expenses of parents or coaches.

In tennis, a prospective student-athlete may accept up to $10,000 per year in prize money. Once he or she has accepted $10,000 in prize money in a particular year, he or she may accept additional prize money on a per-event basis as long as the amount of the prize does not exceed his or her expenses. A current tennis student-athlete may accept prize money as long as the amount of the prize is less than or equal to his or her expenses for participating in the competition."

Note the number of times "may" and "could" are used. See how there's a special exception for tennis and no other sport?

The best argument Phelps should have known better is that he did something that would generally be regarded as a decent thing for a person to do. Generally, things that are laudable actions in normal society violate NCAA rules somehow, like buying people pizza.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

I call bullshit as well. Everyone in the AD knows you can't do that. I learned that day 1 of my NCAA compliance course in undergrad and grad school. I learned it twice because it's basic as shit.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think the "I wanted the flight miles and he paid me in cash immediately" would have been better LOL.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Some of these rules are ridiculous. A kid needed help to get home for Christmas and someone who these kids look up to on a daily basis was there to help. I give credit to the program for actually reporting this garbage with everything else going on.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Even if it was paid back, how do you prove that?

That seems like it would be an obvious violation.

If it was allowed, I would think the schools would have a person whom would handle that and it would be out in open.
gumby

Post by gumby »

What he said. It's a somethingburger.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:

It's not. If you really want blood for this good luck in getting it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gumby wrote:

Harrick was fired from UCLA for buying a meal (and attempting to cover it up) so it kinda is a somethingburger.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Regardless can't have shot like this anymore. Lock it up and run everything through compliance.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
gumby wrote:

Harrick was fired from UCLA for buying a meal (and attempting to cover it up) so it kinda is a somethingburger.
Nobody attempted to cover this up. Also the UCLA AD at the time despised Harrick and was looking for any excuse. UCLA made it a somethingburger. Like I said good luck in convincing anyone to go for blood here, unless the NCAA demands it, which is doubtful. Do you like your nothingburger with cheese?
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:Regardless can't have shot like this anymore. Lock it up and run everything through compliance.
Agreed and it will be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gumby wrote:

Don't want anything more than what was given. If you want swallow that line, go ahead. I'm good.
azgreg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
gumby wrote:

Certainly not a Happy Meal.