let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Statfreak77

Re: let's talk '18

Post by Statfreak77 »

SteveKerrsStroke wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:It also has not been said, although it very well could be, that BR is surrounded by a bunch of money hungry, delusional fools that Kobi was surrounded by; whether that be his choice or not, I don't know.
This is sarcasm, right?
No - and I don't understand the difficulty in understanding what I wrote...
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
SteveKerrsStroke wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:It also has not been said, although it very well could be, that BR is surrounded by a bunch of money hungry, delusional fools that Kobi was surrounded by; whether that be his choice or not, I don't know.
This is sarcasm, right?
I think he might mean Randolph is not surrounded by those guys like Kobi. It makes more sense that way, although I have a hard time reading it.
Whatever he's trying to say, Randolph does not remotely have the same issue that Kobi had. You will not see him mope and fully disappear once Rawle returns that is for certain. With that being said one issue Randolph does have that Kobi did not is he's already 20 years old as a freshman. Age of course has an impact on players' decisions on whether to return or not. In the end I fully expect Randolph to declare after this season to gauge his draft status (as he should) and if he's advised that he is indeed a 1st rounder that is likely good enough for him to go primarily due to his age. That is my opinion btw, no inside info there. Just with the uncertainty Arizona is facing after this season mixed with his age I think he's a shoe in to go IF he gets a 1st round grade, which based on his measureables, athleticism, and current offensive game is certainly a plausible scenario.
Setting aside the Book issues, there's a serious culture problem in this program if we expect guys ranked in the 35-40 range, who will not even be starting most games when our full roster is available, are looking to be one-and-dones.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

legallykenny wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
SteveKerrsStroke wrote:
This is sarcasm, right?
I think he might mean Randolph is not surrounded by those guys like Kobi. It makes more sense that way, although I have a hard time reading it.
Whatever he's trying to say, Randolph does not remotely have the same issue that Kobi had. You will not see him mope and fully disappear once Rawle returns that is for certain. With that being said one issue Randolph does have that Kobi did not is he's already 20 years old as a freshman. Age of course has an impact on players' decisions on whether to return or not. In the end I fully expect Randolph to declare after this season to gauge his draft status (as he should) and if he's advised that he is indeed a 1st rounder that is likely good enough for him to go primarily due to his age. That is my opinion btw, no inside info there. Just with the uncertainty Arizona is facing after this season mixed with his age I think he's a shoe in to go IF he gets a 1st round grade, which based on his measureables, athleticism, and current offensive game is certainly a plausible scenario.
Setting aside the Book issues, there's a serious culture problem in this program if we expect guys ranked in the 35-40 range, who will not even be starting most games when our full roster is available, are looking to be one-and-dones.
This is hardly a culture problem with this program...it's a culture problem with college basketball.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Statfreak77 wrote:
SteveKerrsStroke wrote:
This is sarcasm, right?
Maybe try again, because I don't have an easy time understanding.

Starting with "has not been said" then saying it could be does not exactly set a reader on a great path and winding up with "whether that be his choice or not" then saying you don't know completes the WTF cycle.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

legallykenny wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
SteveKerrsStroke wrote:
This is sarcasm, right?
He's 20 years old, if he's given a 1st round promise due to his measureables and abilities, he'd be pretty silly to pass up on that. That's not an Arizona culture issue, that's just basketball business today. If he doesn't have a 1st round promise then yes he'd be silly to go as a 2nd rounder when he can boost his stock with one more year easily.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:
SteveKerrsStroke wrote:
This is sarcasm, right?

Starting with "has not been said" then saying it could be does not exactly set a reader on a great path and winding up with "whether that be his choice or not" then saying you don't know completes the WTF cycle.
Simple minds are cute.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Statfreak77 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:
SteveKerrsStroke wrote:
This is sarcasm, right?

Simple minds are cute.
I prefer to be called sexy.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:

Simple minds are cute.
I prefer to be called sexy.
Sexy Spaceman Spiff - I like it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Just a friendly reminder that Arizona should be signing this class today if not for Book's stupidity:

Jahvon Quinerly
Brandon Williams
Nassir Little
Shareef O'Neal
Bol Bol

Just thought I'd give us all a reason to enjoy NLI day.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Just a friendly reminder that Arizona should be signing this class today if not for Book's stupidity:

Jahvon Quinerly
Brandon Williams
Nassir Little
Shareef O'Neal
Bol Bol

Look at the bright side. We saved a bundle.

Is it too soon for those jokes?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Are we more or less screwed with landing any other elite players from the '18 class? Has that ship sailed? Or might we recover and pull a couple in the spring? Seems that's happened a few times.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Are we more or less screwed with landing any other elite players from the '18 class? Has that ship sailed? Or might we recover and pull a couple in the spring? Seems that's happened a few times.
This question is more or less fundamentally impossible to answer to any certainty right now. Do other programs get implicated in the ongoing investigation and have recruits bail on verbals? Does our position get clearer/improve?

No one knows those answers, and they drive a whole, whole lot.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

What the Shittu
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Are we more or less screwed with landing any other elite players from the '18 class? Has that ship sailed? Or might we recover and pull a couple in the spring? Seems that's happened a few times.
I mean is there any chance for 100% clarity on our situation by February 7th? If not then no the ship has sailed on anybody even remotely elite from the '18 class. Arizona is going to have a hell of a challenge just getting Williams & O'Neal to end up on campus.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I mean is there any chance for 100% clarity on our situation by February 7th? If not then no the ship has sailed on anybody even remotely elite from the '18 class. Arizona is going to have a hell of a challenge just getting Williams & O'Neal to end up on campus.
The only silver lining I have in all of this is that it has hyper-focused me on this season. WIN! (and vacate if necessary). '18 and beyond will take care of itself either way. There is so much uncertainty with all of this who knows how it will effect other schools and players. More coach's could be fired and kids let out of LOI's. Hell LOI's might be determined to be illegal and non-binding across the NCAA.

We are a long long way from mid-october 2018.

Win now. Keep CSM. Figure it out.

Win NOW :)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If Miller finally breaks through this year and gets to the FF, we're going to recapture the momentum we've lost recently, especially if no further evidence of wrongdoing is discovered in the coming months. For now, Miller is squeaky clean, regardless of what Book did. This is all to say that it won't surprise me if our '18 class ends up in the top 5 nationally.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:If Miller finally breaks through this year and gets to the FF, we're going to recapture the momentum we've lost recently, especially if no further evidence of wrongdoing is discovered in the coming months. For now, Miller is squeaky clean, regardless of what Book did. This is all to say that it won't surprise me if our '18 class ends up in the top 5 nationally.
Possible sanctions would still be a barrier in recruiting. Lots to sort out through regardless of Miller's status (which I have zero reason to believe is in any danger).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:If Miller finally breaks through this year and gets to the FF, we're going to recapture the momentum we've lost recently, especially if no further evidence of wrongdoing is discovered in the coming months. For now, Miller is squeaky clean, regardless of what Book did. This is all to say that it won't surprise me if our '18 class ends up in the top 5 nationally.
Possible sanctions would still be a barrier in recruiting. Lots to sort out through regardless of Miller's status (which I have zero reason to believe is in any danger).
I get that, but I look at UNC and see that the NCAA put their business interests ahead of any ethical principle. I expect the same will happen with AZ. Is it right? Maybe not. But this is a systemic problem, not an Arizona problem.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
There are so many unknowns. If we have possible sanctions out there, that is obviously bad. But is there a next round of FBI charges? Does it ensnare a team we are competing for a recruit with?

Those are the giant questions. Where we stand with recruits isn't just a question of the outcome for us. It's anyone else dragged into the mud, then a comparison.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Just a friendly reminder that Arizona should be signing this class today if not for Book's stupidity:

Jahvon Quinerly
Brandon Williams
Nassir Little
Shareef O'Neal
Bol Bol

Don’t forget Shittu too. Fuck you Book!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:

Jahvon Quinerly
Brandon Williams
Nassir Little
Shareef O'Neal
Bol Bol

Don’t forget Shittu too. Fuck you Book!
With Little's commitment that would've eliminated Shittu for us. Either way I agree with your last sentence.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I get that, but I look at UNC and see that the NCAA put their business interests ahead of any ethical principle. I expect the same will happen with AZ. Is it right? Maybe not. But this is a systemic problem, not an Arizona problem.
The UNC issue and Arizona issue are not even remotely related. The UNC issue was unwalked ground for the NCAA, while the Arizona issue has been handled and dealt with before.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
The UNC issue and Arizona issue are not even remotely related. The UNC issue was unwalked ground for the NCAA, while the Arizona issue has been handled and dealt with before.
Maybe so, but what AZ and UNC share is that they're both huge revenue generators. We can entertain wistful notions of "amateurism," of college athletics untainted by business interests, but that's silly. All NCAA sanctions are considered alongside economic impact. It's foolish to think otherwise.

Again, while I don't defend paying players or any other rule Book (or other coaches) broke, this FBI sting involved multiple programs, players, and coaches. This isn't a saving grace for AZ, but it is evidence of this being a widespread systemic problem. All things considered, I don't think we're going to face a major penalty. "Major penalty" being a multi-year postseason ban and a scholarship reduction.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:
Signing scholarship papers and not a NLI, which is what every recruit should do. Good on him and his folks.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Such a troll. I love this kid, he shall have a statue built for him after this. :lol:
kid is already a legend
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

A1RZONA wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Such a troll. I love this kid, he shall have a statue built for him after this. :lol:
kid is already a legend
Seriously, if he and Shareef suit up for the Cats next year, they will be showered with so much love it will be ridiculous. Talk about most favored nation status. Really, anyone on the squad next year will have the fanbase's unqualified loyalty and admiration.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Why is BR so old as a freshman?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote:Why is BR so old as a freshman?
I'm unsure of the exact reason, but sometimes kids enroll later for one reason or another and sometimes kids are held back a year specifically for basketball purposes. Being older, bigger, stronger than your opponents is obviously an edge that works in players' favors. Another option is he purposely spent a 5th year in HS to go to a prep school and boost his stock/better his game. Arizona has had numerous guys who have spent 5 years in high school.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Postmaster wrote:Why is BR so old as a freshman?
I'm guessing you're just curious but it shouldn't matter. He could be 35 for all I care. We need him to help bring home a natty.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Signing scholarship papers and not a NLI, which is what every recruit should do. Good on him and his folks.

Exactly, if my kid was an elite athlete I would have him just do that.

Scholie papers only commits the school, not the player. He could walk the day before school starts and keep his full eligibility.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:

Scholie papers only commits the school, not the player. He could walk the day before school starts and keep his full eligibility.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:

Yeah, it's the smart move for a player. Players have signed an NLI, then the coach leaves and they're still bound to the school despite the whole staff being gone. There are a lot of things that can change.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

RJ Barrett to Duke aye
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Bol to Oregon
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Someone committing tomorrow? Miller wants to wait until tomorrow to comment on recruiting. Starts at 51 seconds

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Someone committing tomorrow? Miller wants to wait until tomorrow to comment on recruiting. Starts at 51 seconds

Probably just a big Silverchair fan.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:Someone committing tomorrow? Miller wants to wait until tomorrow to comment on recruiting. Starts at 51 seconds

Today is the final day of the signing period. My guess is he's hoping to get O'Neal to sign scholarship papers by the end of the day, so he can talk about him and Williams.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
Sweet. Maybe I'm blindly optimistic, but we got as far as we reasonably could in this period. Clear some of the dark cloud of the allegations by spring, maybe add and maybe 18-19 isn't a complete loss.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Why is Shareef filing for financial aid? Has Shaq blown all his money already?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Alieberman wrote:Why is Shareef filing for financial aid? Has Shaq blown all his money already?
That arrangement ties the school to you, but not you to the school.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Shareef will be a great Cat. He's a smart, classy kid and also remained steadfast in his commitment despite possible sanctions. Very happy to have him in the fold. Bear Down!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:Why is Shareef filing for financial aid? Has Shaq blown all his money already?
Have you seen Shaq's weight lately? Food doesn't pay for itself.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So do we know if bol bol signed with Oregon? With O'Neal signing his papers does this give us any chance at getting back in with Bol Bol. If any body can help Arizona it O'Neal with Bol Bol as there are super close!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

3goggles wrote:So do we know if bol bol signed with Oregon? With O'Neal signing his papers does this give us any chance at getting back in with Bol Bol. If any body can help Arizona it O'Neal with Bol Bol as there are super close!
As has been the case in recent years, the recruiting chase is likely to carry on well into spring, perhaps into summer.

One thing you can count on: AZ is going to be treading very carefully. Any recruit with the slightest whiff of impropriety is probably out. No idea what's up with Bol. Sounds like Oregon leads, but it's amazing what success does. If Miller has his best season at AZ, it will absolutely impact recruiting. We'll see what happens.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Bol looks to be waiting til spring to sign I think that makes AZ a huge player
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Any low to mid 4 ⭐️ kids Arizona can try to add in the spring or are they still going after the big players? Hey I am trying to bring some energy to the thread!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

3goggles wrote:So do we know if bol bol signed with Oregon? With O'Neal signing his papers does this give us any chance at getting back in with Bol Bol. If any body can help Arizona it O'Neal with Bol Bol as there are super close!
Bol did not commit nor sign with Oregon during this signing period, which was surprising. Shittu is also still on the market, although many expected him to announce and sign for Vanderbilt. At the moment there's nothing going on between these two and Arizona, but if we could get some clarity on our situation sooner than later that plays into our favor you never know what can happen.