2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RondaeShimmy

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Here's a well done article (with video examples) and breakdown of why Arizona isn't very good

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... -tailspin/" target="_blank
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

That was a great, and sad read. Thanks a lot. ha
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote:So equivocation then?

Our problems are the type to be expected over an appropriately considered time horizon?

Shrug. It’s one way to go.
I think any program would think a season that produces a #1 or #2 NCAA seed is a good one. Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, etc. would all consider 3 of our past 4 seasons a good, successful season.

You're advocating changing how we do things, and I don't know why we'd want that given the level of success. We have consistently had one and dones mixed with seniors. That formula has been working fine.

Again, the last week sucked, but leave that aside and we're the envy of all but 3 or 4 programs nationally over the last four years.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ESPN on the quick fall of Arizona.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... a-wildcats" target="_blank
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

First I always find Spaceman Spiff to be the voice of reason so thanks Spiff.

Second the question of "when do you question Miller?"?...well not yet.

3 games out of our non conference and it's not even December...how many practices with NEW players in many positions?

Purdue has a ton of experience, I am not sure about the other two teams we played but I frankly don't care the results are what they are.

Sometimes it takes more time than other times. It is what it is.

I am sure there are other coaches that could give different results over the past three games if they had been here long enough to make an impact, but then again the impact they would have made would have been a completely different team roster to begin with so frankly the question is moot, you don't get to ask how Hemingway would have written the battle of the five armies because he didn't...its a dumb question.

Miller plays pack-line defense, THAT is his game and calling card players who come here have to know that by now, if they don't they are not paying attention, what we saw over the tournament was very bad pack-line defense coupled together with abysmal three point shooting, something NO ONE can predict, the data suggest it is an anomaly, PJC has one of the highest 3-point percentages in the entire Pac-12, and according to Miller he's not even our best three point shooter, Barcello is.

This is not the first time our three point game did not show up, and it won't be the last, hell Steven Three Point Curry has bad nights and he's arguably one of the best at this in the world, it happens, there are patches where defense breaks down and three pointers don't fall and you have turn-overs...

IF it happens all season long, then yes there is a problem.

Season just barely started though...reel in the panic.

And for the record polls are pretty useless pretty much all year, I can cite many teams making huge impact with very little poll support.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

SunnyAZ wrote:Florida was running Duke out the gym then Coach K went to a zone to ruin their rhythm and it worked! Then they went back to man and now are winning before the 2nd half even started! How are they ever gonna get back those 5 minutes of zone defense to get better at man defense?
Duke's Kenpom adjusted D in recent years:

2017-18: 36
16-17: 47
15-16: 86
14-15: 11
13-14: 86
12-13: 26
11-12: 79

Duke has been to one final four in the seasons above and not surprisingly, it was the only year they had a top 20 defense. All this despite some insane teams/recruiting classes. Matter fact, out of those six completed seasons, they only made the sweet 16 half of the them. Kind of kills your argument about selling your soul to win a game in November.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

legallykenny wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
legallykenny wrote:Really who has UK had a problem with? Cal kept 8 draft picks on a roster and happy.
Sean has undrafted guys leaving and guys transferring the second they don’t get a start.

And your views in talent seem to be just as correlated with rankings as Sean’s. Maybe you should watch the guys on the floor. Have you seen Stanley’s actual game stats? Dude was massively overrated. Or going to Arizona retarded his development. Again, choose your poison.
You make a good point about our guys leaving early and going undrafted. No idea what's going on there. Are we recruiting guys who have zero interest in going to classes? Pretty sure Chance left because he knew Ayton was coming and Ristic was staying. His minutes would've been the same as or less than last season.

SJ was overrated? Sorry, "massively overrated"? He was Pac FOY and first-team All-Pac. What are you talking about, bro? He now starts for the Detroit Pistons. Am I missing something?
His 8.3 PER this year for a start. Good for 13th on his team.
PER doesn't measure what Stanley is best at.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Here's a well done article (with video examples) and breakdown of why Arizona isn't very good

Wanted to post the videos because they're alarming, Ayton getting completely lost on the first one

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Here's a well done article (with video examples) and breakdown of why Arizona isn't very good

That's a good article, though maybe we think that because it agrees with what we've been saying.

But under the heading of "fixable" the writer never goes so far as to say that PJC shouldn't be our main point guard. I, on the other hand, think we're at that point, and the only solution is radical and nuts and makes perfect sense: Trier at the point. I realize he's shown himself to be the worst facilitator in college basketball history, and good for nothing but forcing his own shot. But that's because his role needs to change. He needs to be one of the two offensive threats who revolve around Ayton, and his job on offense needs to be: get the freaking ball to Ayton, and let Ayton find Alkins, Lee, or Trier. Trier should push the ball in the open court and find his way to the rim. And in the half-court set, he needs to get the ball to Ayton.

Trier can also defend the point better than PJC, as little as that's saying.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

rgdeuce wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:Florida was running Duke out the gym then Coach K went to a zone to ruin their rhythm and it worked! Then they went back to man and now are winning before the 2nd half even started! How are they ever gonna get back those 5 minutes of zone defense to get better at man defense?

Duke has been to one final four in the seasons above and not surprisingly, it was the only year they had a top 20 defense. All this despite some insane teams/recruiting classes. Matter fact, out of those six completed seasons, they only made the sweet 16 half of the them. Kind of kills your argument about selling your soul to win a game in November.
they have won 2 titles since Miller has been here. We have been to the FF 0 times in Miller's time and we have had some insane teams/recruiting classes. Does that kill your argument that sticking to your guns helps you be a better team in March?

also we have had way better individual defenders than Duke has, they get offensive players and figure it out on defense.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Killer article and well done!

Agree with everything in it wholeheartedly
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

It will drive me batty, but I agree with LH in giving Trier the point.

That's what I took away from the article as well. It pretty much calls out PJC without directly stating that he shouldn't play.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

CalStateTempe wrote:It will drive me batty, but I agree with LH in giving Trier the point.

That's what I took away from the article as well. It pretty much calls out PJC without directly stating that he shouldn't play.
I think our best lineup to close games will be Akot, Trier, Rawle, Pinder/Lee/Randolph, Ayton. Let's see if we ever use it.

Any news on Rawle?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

SunnyAZ wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

they have won 2 titles since Miller has been here. We have been to the FF 0 times in Miller's time and we have had some insane teams/recruiting classes. Does that kill your argument that sticking to your guns helps you be a better team in March?

also we have had way better individual defenders than Duke has, they get offensive players and figure it out on defense.
So we are starting from the time Miller took over eh? Completely ignoring Arizona was left on life support when he took over, as well as ignoring the fact that Coach K already had momentum from the 80s, 90s and 2000s when Miller took over at Arizona? And we have had way better individual defenders than Duke, which is a testament to Miller's coaching and culture of defense at Arizona. We are, after all, largely going after the same talent on the recruiting trail. Duke has had one nice run and have otherwise been extremely inconsistent and disappointing in the NCAA tournament, despite the committee doing everything they can to give them the best road most years.

Fail.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

SunnyAZ wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

This is a stupid and useless argument.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

rgdeuce wrote: So we are starting from the time Miller took over eh? Completely ignoring Arizona was left on life support when he took over, as well as ignoring the fact that Coach K already had momentum from the 80s, 90s and 2000s when Miller took over at Arizona? And we have had way better individual defenders than Duke, which is a testament to Miller's coaching and culture of defense at Arizona. We are, after all, largely going after the same talent on the recruiting trail. Duke has had one nice run and have otherwise been extremely inconsistent and disappointing in the NCAA tournament, despite the committee doing everything they can to give them the best road most years.

Fail.
We could do our whole history. Duke still has more titles since Miller has been the coach than Arizona has in their history.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

YoDeFoe wrote:
agree but the point was that being versatile in your playstyle/schemes helps you win games isn't stupid or pointless
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Longhorned wrote:

That's a good article, though maybe we think that because it agrees with what we've been saying.

But under the heading of "fixable" the writer never goes so far as to say that PJC shouldn't be our main point guard. I, on the other hand, think we're at that point, and the only solution is radical and nuts and makes perfect sense: Trier at the point. I realize he's shown himself to be the worst facilitator in college basketball history, and good for nothing but forcing his own shot. But that's because his role needs to change. He needs to be one of the two offensive threats who revolve around Ayton, and his job on offense needs to be: get the freaking ball to Ayton, and let Ayton find Alkins, Lee, or Trier. Trier should push the ball in the open court and find his way to the rim. And in the half-court set, he needs to get the ball to Ayton.

Fantastic article.

Disagree that Rawle will not be a plus-defender - that's a really stupid call by the author. He was our third best per minute defender behind Pinder and Kadeem last year as a starting freshman. He'll be a plus defender again this year and can control the other team's best perimeter player with his size and length.

Re: Trier at the point... I like the way you explain it Longhorn. Trier needs to know one thing when he has the ball - he's either taking the defender off the dribble or he's getting the ball into Ayton (directly or swinging it). Maybe that would work.

Not sure I agree with Trier defending point guards though... don't need him chasing little guys all up and down the court for 35 min/g. Maybe it works though. He played well on Lonzo last season when it was clear PJC couldn't guard him.

Our best line-up is clearly without PJC and Ristic, so starting with that you see Trier as the primary ball handler as a potential reality -
always moving it to the rim or passing into Ayton quickly. I'd give Rawle the same responsibility honestly; he's shown himself to be a good passer as well.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

SunnyAZ wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
agree but the point was that being versatile in your playstyle/schemes helps you win games isn't stupid or pointless
Which is true. Duke came back against Texas because of late in game adjustments. I've seen line-up changes from Miller but rarely big changes in scheme. Sometimes we double team (audible gasp from the Miller family of coaches). I'm of the opinion that we should throw more looks at offenses in order to get them out of their rhythm.

The counterpoint is that we can't even teach our guys to do one thing well, so not sure how asking them to do multiple things on defense helps them get better at the fundamentals they're lacking.

All of that seems fair. Hopefully we can move on.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:ESPN on the quick fall of Arizona.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... a-wildcats" target="_blank
Maybe I'm insane, but that article gives me hope. It is dead on that our major issues are execution. Our defensive rotations are bad, our team D has major issues and we aren't making 3's.

All those are fixable. Miller is obviously noted for his ability to teach D. That skill will be put to the test. Making shots, well, that has a component that is just letting it happen.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Fantastic article.

Disagree that Rawle will not be a plus-defender. That's a really stupid call by the author. He was our third best per minute defender behind Pinder and Kadeem last year as a starting freshman. He'll be a plus defender again this year and can control the other team's best perimeter player with his size and length.

always moving it to the rim or passing into Ayton quickly. I'd give Rawle the same responsibility honestly; he's shown himself to be a good passer as well.
I don't think Rawle is a good defender, I don't remember him being one last year. Maybe that's just me. Maybe Rawle has improved in the off-season.

He has a good length with a wingspan at 6'8 but he measured 6'2 without shoes and 6'3 with at the NBA combine, shorter than Trier.

Although he might help a little with on ball defense, at least I hope because it can't get worse. But he was pretty bad off ball like Trier.

Maybe he can jump passing lanes.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The article articulates everything we've been saying about PJC and Ristic for years now. Those guys are what they are. Reducing their roles will help. Need the freshmen to grow up fast.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Fantastic article.

Disagree that Rawle will not be a plus-defender. That's a really stupid call by the author. He was our third best per minute defender behind Pinder and Kadeem last year as a starting freshman. He'll be a plus defender again this year and can control the other team's best perimeter player with his size and length.

I don't think Rawle is a good defender, I don't remember him being one last year. Maybe that's just me. Maybe Rawle has improved in the off-season.

He has a good length with a wingspan at 6'8 but he measured 6'2 without shoes and 6'3 with at the NBA combine, shorter than Trier.

Although he might help a little with on ball defense, at least I hope because it can't get worse. But he was pretty bad off ball like Trier.

Maybe he can jump passing lanes.
Rawle got a lot better last year. His footwork was a bit of a mess at the beginning of the year but he sorted it out pretty fast. He was a solid defender by the end of the year, and that improvement was why he jumped Kobi.
loomer

Post by loomer »

Rawle will definitely be an upgrade on defense, but the question is how much? It's really too bad Kadeem ran out of eligibility. Hopefully Akot becomes that guy as the season progresses.

If anything though, the article unintentionally points out the fundamental flaws of the packline when you have a roster with heavy turnover and how susceptible it is to the 3. As ChooChooCat pointed out in another thread: the defense is so dependent on cohesion and seamless rotations and helping less athletic players "hang in there" that it can be easy for a freshman to lose focus. That's why Virginia and Wisconsin have been so successful with it in the past. They're composed of veteran laden teams that will die with the system, and even the great Wisconsin teams won because of their offense, not the packline. Miller's best defenses are evidence of this as well. In 2014 you had bigs with a year under their belt, two interchangeable plus defenders in AG and Rondae, and two excellent college guards in TJ and NJ who could lead the team. They were undoubtedly offensively challenged but they could mask it. In 2015, they were not quite as stifling in the half-court but they still became great on that end of the floor once Stanley and the team gelled. Miller gave the team a little more leeway here, allowing the perimeter players to gamble a little more creating more turnovers and leading to increased transition opportunities. It's unfortunate that Wisconsin got hot from 3 in the Elite 8 but that's one thing you should always have in the back of your mind when coaching the packline. There will always be at least a hint of daylight to get that shot off. 2016 just didn't have the personnel to execute the packline well. York, Trier, and PJC were all minus defenders on the perimeter. We were a bit better last year because Rawle adapted so well to the defense, but Trier and Simmons were still pretty bad.

Ristic's limitations on defense are even more amplified this season with Ayton playing the 4. I don't think Ristic should get more than 12 minutes a game with Ayton on the roster. He's way too much of a liability to have on the floor for anything more than that. Play Lee and Pinder more and hope that Akot evolves into Rondae 2.0. I don't believe that the PG situation will be modified or resolved unless things get really ugly. Miller is too indebted to PJC to give him anything less than 20 mpg.
Last edited by loomer on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
That is not where Parker or Trier should be. For senior/junior, they need to be the leaders.

This tends to align with what I've seen. Our perimeter production has been pretty low.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

RondaeShimmy wrote:

Wanted to post the videos because they're alarming, Ayton getting completely lost on the first one
I know I havent posted any of my game analysis over here, but this is basically a short summary:

Why did Ayton get lost?

Well, for one, as I have been saying since game 1, everyone has to over-help when Dusan is put into a ball screen, or in this case a DHO. Ayton clearly had no awareness on the play, but he was so concerned with helping Dusan, he completely lost his own man.

You can see the same thing in every freaking clip. In a normal man defense, you wouldnt need your weak side guard to cover all the way across the paint, because you could sag the PNR coverage. In normal man, you dont give up the corner three. We have to, because we need to help for an extra few counts as Dusan recovers.

Additionally, what have I been saying about teams slipping the PNR coverage? Everyone knows it works, they do it against every big we have, because we are so aggressive on the hedge. Everyone knows the weak side guard/wing HAS to help ALL the way across the lane. Everyone knows we dont have many defenders, and the ones that we do have a very, very green.

Then, in the final clip, you have the PNP with the floor spread, and Ayton has to defend 30 feet of space between his man, and Dusan's who pops for three. He isnt ready to make those rotations yet. Even if he was, the other guys on the floor wont be able to cover for him, and we give up a corner three again.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Disagree that Rawle will not be a plus-defender - that's a really stupid call by the author. He was our third best per minute defender behind Pinder and Kadeem last year as a starting freshman. He'll be a plus defender again this year and can control the other team's best perimeter player with his size and length.
Rawle was not a good defender last year. He was good on the ball at times, but he was lost off the ball much more often than not. He has a lot of work to do defensively, but ultimately, we dont know if he has progressed there or not. I hope he has.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Scrap the god damn packline defense already and go base man to man. 9 man rotation of Parker, Zo, Rawle, Randolph, Akot, Lee, Ayton, Ristic, and Barcello.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Our weakness on defense is so strange to me. I've always been under the impression that this is what Miller spends the most time on in practice. And while defense obviously requires quick thinking and concentration, it's probably at least 60% (conservative estimate) hustle and sheer effort. So if we're not doing well on defense, it means our guys simply aren't working hard enough. The mental aspect can develop slower, over the course of the season, but there's no excuse for guys not hustling. I can't remember TJM ever taking a single play off on defense.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Dusan is so good as a backup center, he looks like he could start. But he really just can't. I'm hoping for:

Trier/PJC/Barcello
Alkins/Randolph/Smith
Randolph/Akot
Lee/Pinder/Akot
Ayton/Ristic

I could see Akot as a starter as well.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Our weakness on defense is so strange to me. I've always been under the impression that this is what Miller spends the most time on in practice. And while defense obviously requires quick thinking and concentration, it's probably at least 60% (conservative estimate) hustle and sheer effort. So if we're not doing well on defense, it means our guys simply aren't working hard enough. The mental aspect can develop slower, over the course of the season, but there's no excuse for guys not hustling. I can't remember TJM ever taking a single play off on defense.
I think this underrates the need to understand principles. There are some things effort gets you, but a team that effectively runs a pick and roll will kill a team is not great at understanding.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Pack line is awesome when you are at a midmajor.

Let the horses run and the players play.

Can you calculate a +/- off that box score above?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:Dusan is so good as a backup center, he looks like he could start. But he really just can't. I'm hoping for:

Trier/PJC/Barcello
Alkins/Randolph/Smith
Randolph/Akot
Lee/Pinder/Akot
Ayton/Ristic

I agree with this, but once Rawle is back no more Smith and Pinder needs to permanently be in the Matt Korcheck role. Also you have to start Akot over Lee.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Dusan is so good as a backup center, he looks like he could start. But he really just can't. I'm hoping for:

Trier/PJC/Barcello
Alkins/Randolph/Smith
Randolph/Akot
Lee/Pinder/Akot
Ayton/Ristic

I agree with this, but once Rawle is back no more Smith and Pinder needs to permanently be in the Matt Korcheck role. Also you have to start Akot over Lee.
Yeah, this team needs to go through any growing pains necessary to develop Akot into a starter.

As much as it pains me to envision Trier at the point, Miller could still start PJC there, but only for his forte: home games against subpar competition. Unless both those criteria are met, we're on our own.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Ristic is too slow and has 0 court awareness. Play small ristic can play the garbage minutes if there is any.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Trier/PJC/Barcello
Alkins/Randolph/Smith
Randolph/Akot
Lee/Pinder/Akot
Ayton/Ristic

Lee is kicking Akot's ass in the season stats so far. Beating him by a large amount in everything from shooting percentage, to turnover rate, to rebounding rate, to blocks and free throws. The only thing holding Lee back is his foul rate, which he'll learn to adapt to the college level.

Akot has gotten more minutes and has done a whole lot of nothing with them. He's got potential but he's also supposed to be a high school senior this year. Maybe he doesn't start.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Trier/PJC/Barcello
Alkins/Randolph/Smith
Randolph/Akot
Lee/Pinder/Akot
Ayton/Ristic

I agree with you 100% and also your post about Trier taking over at Point for PJC. PJC is nothing more than a bench player. Same with Dusan. I think you have to give Trier a look with some PG minutes. I also wouldn't play Ristic at the same time as Ayton. Let him spell Ayton for a few minutes but thats about it. Miller needs to realize Ristic and PJC are the weak points of this team.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Trier/PJC/Barcello
Alkins/Randolph/Smith
Randolph/Akot
Lee/Pinder/Akot
Ayton/Ristic

Lee is kicking Akot's ass in the season stats so far. Beating him by a large amount in everything from shooting percentage, to turnover rate, to rebounding rate, to blocks and free throws. The only thing holding Lee back is his foul rate, which he'll learn to adapt to the college level.

Akot has gotten more minutes and has done a whole lot of nothing with them. He's got potential but he's also supposed to be a high school senior this year. Maybe he doesn't start.
Akot has been 18 years old since March, he's exactly at the level of play he should be playing at, don't let the Canadian academic calendar fool you.

I love Lee, but he's an all effort guy and perfect for this team off the bench with his energy. Akot needs the time to groom as he's the most talented player both naturally and skill wise (outside of maybe jump shot). He's also another playmaker, which is something this team desperately needs with our issues at PG. Also every stat you named outside of Shooting % is something a guy playing all his minutes at the 4 should be doing better than a guy who has played the vast majority of his minutes at the 3.

Play the god damn talent and be rewarded by season's end.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Our weakness on defense is so strange to me. I've always been under the impression that this is what Miller spends the most time on in practice. And while defense obviously requires quick thinking and concentration, it's probably at least 60% (conservative estimate) hustle and sheer effort. So if we're not doing well on defense, it means our guys simply aren't working hard enough. The mental aspect can develop slower, over the course of the season, but there's no excuse for guys not hustling. I can't remember TJM ever taking a single play off on defense.
I think this underrates the need to understand principles. There are some things effort gets you, but a team that effectively runs a pick and roll will kill a team is not great at understanding.
Fair enough, Spiff. So are we weak on hoops IQ? Is it simply early in the season and this group needs more time? I'd have thought that with the Spain trip (ie: extra practice) and extensive off-season training, we'd be ready to go by November.

We can go round and round with wtf happened last week. Our coaches have quite a challenge on their hands, and like everyone else, I'll be curious to see what happens next.

Still think we win the Pac.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote: Lee is kicking Akot's ass in the season stats so far. Beating him by a large amount in everything from shooting percentage, to turnover rate, to rebounding rate, to blocks and free throws. The only thing holding Lee back is his foul rate, which he'll learn to adapt to the college level.

Akot has been 18 years old since March, he's exactly at the level of play he should be playing at, don't let the Canadian academic calendar fool you.

I love Lee, but he's an all effort guy and perfect for this team off the bench with his energy. Akot needs the time to groom as he's the most talented player both naturally and skill wise (outside of maybe jump shot). He's also another playmaker, which is something this team desperately needs with our issues at PG. Also every stat you named outside of Shooting % is something a guy playing all his minutes at the 4 should be doing better than a guy who has played the vast majority of his minutes at the 3.

Play the god damn talent and be rewarded by season's end.
I don't want Lee starting, not making that argument. Just... god damn Akot has been bad to start the season. He has had by far the worst offensive start to the season among the new players. Maybe he can start eventually.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

YoDeFoe wrote:Akot has been bad to start the season. He has had by far the worst offensive start to the season among the new players.
Barcello will give him a run for the money. Both were Oh fer Bahamas.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Merkin wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Akot has been bad to start the season. He has had by far the worst offensive start to the season among the new players.
Barcello will give him a run for the money. Both were Oh fer Bahamas.
Barcello looked awful out there as well, though he at least looked like a stud against the cupcakes.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

So if Rawle has been medically cleared for full practice, why did Miller say he's "right around the corner from being cleared to play" on the radio broadcast?

Am I reading to much into this or is there some other pending clearance we are not aware of?
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Beachcat97 wrote:
legallykenny wrote: His 8.3 PER this year for a start. Good for 13th on his team.
Not really seeing your point, Kenny. Is it somehow Miller’s fault that SJ hasn’t yet found his niche at the next level?
That he isn’t a very good basketball player and was an overrated recruit.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Re Barcello...

“Alex Barcello is a great example. Before we went to the Bahamas, Alex was terrific. He was getting better each week. We were playing him at both the 1 and the 2 — he’s one of our team’s best shooters — he didn’t have a single turnover leading into those games. And man you watch him down there and he got rattled in the first game and really maybe more so than anyone really lost his confidence. But as quick as you can lose it you can get it back.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... ins-return" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatFanOneMil wrote:So if Rawle has been medically cleared for full practice, why did Miller say he's "right around the corner from being cleared to play" on the radio broadcast?

Am I reading to much into this or is there some other pending clearance we are not aware of?
Because practicing isn't the same thing as playing. It just isn't as physically demanding and the situations are more controlled. I doubt it's any more than that.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

One positive I see emerge out of the fiasco of last week is that I believe the coaches have gotten the players' attention. I also believe pride will get the team more focused. I have a growing belief that the team is going to come out on fire. And that the A&M game will be their best game of the season because now they have the proverbial chip on their shoulder and will play with an intensity we haven't seen all season. The kick in the pants will get them going, and they have something to prove.

Welcome to the initiation of college basketball freshmen. Now, time to grow.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Fair enough, Spiff. So are we weak on hoops IQ? Is it simply early in the season and this group needs more time? I'd have thought that with the Spain trip (ie: extra practice) and extensive off-season training, we'd be ready to go by November.

We can go round and round with wtf happened last week. Our coaches have quite a challenge on their hands, and like everyone else, I'll be curious to see what happens next.

Still think we win the Pac.
We're executing the fundamentals of individual and team D poorly. I don't think it's just early season bc we have had plenty of teams further along despite some youth. We're behind where we want to be.

Add in that the guys who know the system the best (PJC and Dusan) and should have the most mastery of the fundamentals are physically limited. It's a bad combo, but the way out is better execution of the fundamentals. Physical limitations aren't changing.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Catintheheat wrote:One positive I see emerge out of the fiasco of last week is that I believe the coaches have gotten the players' attention. I also believe pride will get the team more focused. I have a growing belief that the team is going to come out on fire. And that the A&M game will be their best game of the season because now they have the proverbial chip on their shoulder and will play with an intensity we haven't seen all season. The kick in the pants will get them going, and they have something to prove.

Welcome to the initiation of college basketball freshmen. Now, time to grow.
That is great if true. But if it is then why doesn't Coach K go through issues like this? Why is Miller brining in guys who don't just go out and compete and win day one? If it isn't true then it is very concerning as well.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion