let's talk '15

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

az91

Re: let's talk '15

Post by az91 »

Airizona wrote:I feel like it is a positive that Rabb is going to wait til the Spring to decide, especially because it sounds like he has been leaning toward other programs. I think that the combination of how impressive Arizona will be this year and that it is still relatively close to home for Rabb will tip the odds in our favor. If Martin has a good first year at Cal that could changes things
I read somewhere that Martin wants to build his program around Rabb. How do you build a program around a one and done player?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:F*ck UNC.

Garbage program, Garbage institution.
I know there's an athletics academics scandal, but let's not get nuts about this. I still defer to the foundation Smith built, not to mention championships under Roy. The bolded is hyperbole times a million.
True, but their "honor code" is a joke. zero enforcement.

I'll give them that they are the oldest public institution in the US, but there is an air of elitism there, that I don't think is becoming for a flagship institution committed to the state's public.

Maybe I just prefer the faculty I have interacted at Duke vs UNC. I have continuing experience at both institutions. There is a weird feeling of passive aggressively at UNC that I find fake. Keep in mind I am talking at the graduation and professional levels. Hands down Duke undergrads are a piece of work.

As for Furd, I have dated an alum during my single days and know many other alum personally/professionally. I feel well informed to comment on my feeling of those who have gone to Furd for undergrad. I'm sure graduate school is another story, but I have had less experience with students at furd at that level.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:F*ck UNC.

Garbage program, Garbage institution.
I know there's an athletics academics scandal, but let's not get nuts about this. I still defer to the foundation Smith built, not to mention championships under Roy. The bolded is hyperbole times a million.
CST has been infected with the dookie disease, whether he admits it or not. Still a Cat through and through, but a slightly infected one.

If UNC is garbage, then Duke is radioactive waste.
They pay my salary and I like my boss and colleagues. That goes a long way.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Cal aiming to break UA's grip on Oakland Soldiers

18 hours ago • By Bruce Pascoe

Northern California could be a different story, at least if Cal's Cuonzo Martin has anything to say about it. According to a story in the Oakland Tribune/Bay Area News Group, Martin has been gaining steam in an effort to land coveted Oakland big man Ivan Rabb, of Bishop O'Dowd High School and the Oakland Soldiers.

Getting Rabb would mean ending Miller's streak of landing top players from the prestigious Soldiers travel-ball program. The Soldiers sent Nick Johnson, Josiah Turner, Aaron Gordon, Brandon Ashley and Stanley Johnson to UA under Miller.

Rabb told the Tribune/BANG that Martin contacted him just after getting the Cal job and told him he would be at his games, then delivered a big recruiting pitch.

"He wants to build a whole program around me. That's really big," Rabb said. "For him to say that, he must see something in me."

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/c ... 6138c.html
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Nice roundup by Hansen here: http://tucson.com/sports/columnists/han ... 84ee2.html, but does he ever miss an opportunity to take a shot at Lute?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:Nice roundup by Hansen here: http://tucson.com/sports/columnists/han ... 84ee2.html, but does he ever miss an opportunity to take a shot at Lute?
I refuse to give Hansen another hit on his article, but it doesn't surprise me to see you say he took another shot at Lute. Bitter old man is bitter.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Nice roundup by Hansen here: http://tucson.com/sports/columnists/han ... 84ee2.html, but does he ever miss an opportunity to take a shot at Lute?
I refuse to give Hansen another hit on his article, but it doesn't surprise me to see you say he took another shot at Lute. Bitter old man is bitter.
After a very nice piece heaping praise on Miller's work ethic in the recruiting arena, these were the last three paragraphs:
Ten years ago, Olson put together a flawed Class of 2005, a three-man group that included Fendi Onobun, J.P. Prince and Marcus Williams.

It was a sharp drop from the level at which Arizona had recruited and, on the heels of a weak ’04 class that included Jawann McClellan, Daniel Dillon, Bret Brielmaier, Mohamed Tangara and Jesus Verdejo, it precipitated Olson’s retirement.

Now, 10 years later, Arizona has fully restored its recruiting clout. SMH.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

These CAL boards are funny. They have no idea what a monster recruiting class is. Haha!

http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthrea ... ss/page255
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
After a very nice piece heaping praise on Miller's work ethic in the recruiting arena, these were the last three paragraphs:
Ten years ago, Olson put together a flawed Class of 2005, a three-man group that included Fendi Onobun, J.P. Prince and Marcus Williams.

It was a sharp drop from the level at which Arizona had recruited and, on the heels of a weak ’04 class that included Jawann McClellan, Daniel Dillon, Bret Brielmaier, Mohamed Tangara and Jesus Verdejo, it precipitated Olson’s retirement.

Now, 10 years later, Arizona has fully restored its recruiting clout. SMH.
I don't necessarily see where what he said was wrong. That was Pastner recruiting at its finest.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

All three players of the 2005 class were 4 stars by scout, and JP was a 5 star recruit by Rivals.

The '04 class featured a 5 star McD's AA McClellan, and Tangara was a 4 star (believe it or not).

Not the shame that the wonderful Hansen would lead you to believe. Funny how hindsight works, but I'd be willing to bet that I could find an article at the time about how Arizona was on top of the recruiting world at that time.

Dude is such a hack writer that even Pascoe's articles include a line on "Hansen's latest". I refuse to read his drivel.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I don't necessarily see where what he said was wrong. That was Pastner recruiting at its finest.
Well, besides what OD wrote, Lute's retirement certainly wasn't "precipitated" by his recruiting or the results those recruits put up on the court.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I don't necessarily see where what he said was wrong. That was Pastner recruiting at its finest.
Well, besides what OD wrote, Lute's retirement certainly wasn't "precipitated" by his recruiting or the results those recruits put up on the court.
I always find it odd that when the local media goes through rounds of cuts, somehow Hansen manages to evade the knife.

Maybe when he is finally fired, I can write a piece on how he sucked and sucked really hard at the end.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:
Fair enough...I can see the dig about recruiting "precipitating" retirement which absolutely was not the case.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Olsondogg wrote:All three players of the 2005 class were 4 stars by scout, and JP was a 5 star recruit by Rivals.

The '04 class featured a 5 star McD's AA McClellan, and Tangara was a 4 star (believe it or not).

Not the shame that the wonderful Hansen would lead you to believe. Funny how hindsight works, but I'd be willing to bet that I could find an article at the time about how Arizona was on top of the recruiting world at that time.

Dude is such a hack writer that even Pascoe's articles include a line on "Hansen's latest". I refuse to read his drivel.
His son certainly thought that 05 class was epic. Three Kings!

I don't know about "precipitating retirement" (health issues), but the rest is true. In fact, Lute never had classes rated as high as Miller's.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

It was a sharp drop from the level at which Arizona had recruited

What? I think that was Lute's highest rated class.

Lute was much better at finding the diamonds in the rough than developing and nurturing 4 and 5 star players.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I think Hansen is losing his vocabulary. Maybe 'precipitated' was meant to be 'prognosticated'...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:All three players of the 2005 class were 4 stars by scout, and JP was a 5 star recruit by Rivals.

I don't know about "precipitating retirement" (health issues), but the rest is true. In fact, Lute never had classes rated as high as Miller's.

Lute may have never had as highly rated classes as Miller, but I also think that there are more "recruiting services" now than then...and Lute had a knack for getting players to the league.

Those classes, at the time, did not precipitate anything but continued success for Lute and UA...no matter how Hansen wants to rewrite history.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Puerco wrote:I think Hansen is losing his vocabulary. Maybe 'precipitated' was meant to be 'prognosticated'...
Must be all the rain ...
gumby

Post by gumby »

Olsondogg wrote:
gumby wrote:

Lute may have never had as highly rated classes as Miller, but I also think that there are more "recruiting services" now than then...and Lute had a knack for getting players to the league.

Those classes, at the time, did not precipitate anything but continued success for Lute and UA...no matter how Hansen wants to rewrite history.
My comment was limited to recruiting and ranking of classes. Lute was a fine coach. Hall of Famer, as I recall. Much ado ...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So Rabb, Swanigan, Bragg, and Zimm will all commit late? Be interesting to see who the first domino to fall will be and how quickly the others jump on the remaining offers.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I like it. Let's Miller view and prioritize, but gives time to make up ground. No other coach has Miller's luxery of isolated recruiting. Miller already has a top3 class as it stands. So while 99% of other coaches are constructing their classes, Miller can chase his ideal.

And now they've all given him more time and options.

Beautiful!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Deb, I mean Lori, is right.

won't announce a college choice until after his senior season.
Stevens also informed Scout.com that Stephen doesn't intend to sign a Letter of Intent.

Stephen can still sign the scholarship papers that bind the school to him, but not the player to the school. Pretty smart playing the school like that.

But then again, if Zimmerman is not committed to being a Cat, and wants the schools to fall over themselves trying to recruit him, then if the Cats miss on him I won't be all that upset.

I really like Lute saying that first one to accept the offer gets the spot. If not, well, good luck to you.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Wow, Momma Zimmerman likes to hear herself tweet.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Wow, SHB going at it with Jay Bilas. I like Bilas, but he is an attorney and would never admit he was wrong...but man he looks the fool in this argument.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:So Rabb, Swanigan, Bragg, and Zimm will all commit late? Be interesting to see who the first domino to fall will be and how quickly the others jump on the remaining offers.

If we start this season the way we will, and the season goes the way it will...the first domino will fall for Arizona. Just sayin'.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Olsondogg wrote:Wow, SHB going at it with Jay Bilas. I like Bilas, but he is an attorney and would never admit he was wrong...but man he looks the fool in this argument.
On Twitter? What's Salim's handle there?

And yeah, like I was posting on another thread, sure all highly-ranked recruits are prima donnas, but highly-ranked seven-foot centers are the primest of the prima.

Zimm's been showing that for about a year now in his public comments, actually. He wants his courting to last as long as possible.

Fortunately, the ball is not in Miller's court to change his mind. It's Zimm's decision when and where to sign.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Olsondogg wrote:
Anything else on this?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Do we think when/if Rabb, Zimm, Bragg or Swanigan plays on Team USA with CSM this summer that he wont gain an advantage on the recruiting trail because he is a coach on that staff? Its an advantage I will gladly take.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

3goggles wrote: Anything else on this?

Yeah, alot...I got involved and went back and forth with Bilas and SHB too...too much to post.

Oh, but a UK fan got involved and went full douche...

Check Jay's timeline for the highlights...
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Olsondogg wrote:
3goggles wrote: Anything else on this?

Yeah, alot...I got involved and went back and forth with Bilas and SHB too...too much to post.

Oh, but a UK fan got involved and went full douche...

Check Jay's timeline for the highlights...
Thats priceless!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Interesting that we are still going hard for Briscoe. That would be a crazy back court!

http://arizona.247sports.com/Board/5942 ... s-30782066
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

The front court is going to be very solid moving forward, with or without Rabb or Zimmerman committing. Anderson, Ristic, and Victor can get the job done nicely. Who knows what is going on with Rabb. One can never put much weight behind what these "recruiting insiders" have to offer -- for whatever reason, the rhetoric has been that Rabb cooled on AZ. It seems bizarre that he would have a legitimate issue with outsiders making assumptions that he is a lock for AZ being a driving force behind his choice not to ultimately commit. If a kid wants to play for a program, it seems strange that he would care what outsiders had to say, or what the public perception was behind the choice. I would like to assume that is not the driving force behind the rumor that he has cooled on AZ, and that it simply is about having interest in other programs or coaches. At the end of the day, AZ is doing the right thing going after the players it wants; if a kid wants to wait until the very end and a roster gets filled up prior to that, then the kid has to deal with a loaded roster or end up somewhere else that is less ideal.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

midnightx wrote:The front court is going to be very solid moving forward, with or without Rabb or Zimmerman committing. Anderson, Ristic, and Victor can get the job done nicely. Who knows what is going on with Rabb. One can never put much weight behind what these "recruiting insiders" have to offer -- for whatever reason, the rhetoric has been that Rabb cooled on AZ. It seems bizarre that he would have a legitimate issue with outsiders making assumptions that he is a lock for AZ being a driving force behind his choice not to ultimately commit. If a kid wants to play for a program, it seems strange that he would care what outsiders had to say, or what the public perception was behind the choice. I would like to assume that is not the driving force behind the rumor that he has cooled on AZ, and that it simply is about having interest in other programs or coaches. At the end of the day, AZ is doing the right thing going after the players it wants; if a kid wants to wait until the very end and a roster gets filled up prior to that, then the kid has to deal with a loaded roster or end up somewhere else that is less ideal.
We're OK if everyone pans out. Rabb/Zimmerman would be nice to elevate our talent level and give margin for error. Right now, we have 4 guys, but both Comanche and Ristic would get a project label and Victor hasn't played a single college game.

Adding one more would give us room for error if anyone goes Kyryl/Sidiki on us.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

The best scorers in basketball can produce when the pace is frenetic or when it slows down against an organized defense. The best scorers create space for themselves by using dribble moves, jab steps, operating on ball screens, or by reading off-ball screens and cutting to get open.

When the scoreboard needs to change, these five prospects will deliver.
1. SG Allonzo Trier (No. 17 in ESPN 100) Committed to Arizona
This pure shooting guard owns great positional size at 6-foot-5 with the talent to drop big numbers in any game. He's often double-teamed, but still led the prestigious Nike Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBl) in scoring at 29.4 points per game, which is an incredible feat with so much elite talent. More good news for Arizona fans is he loves to create fouls, finish through contact and cash in from the free throw line. His long-range jumper is what sets him apart, as he can drain it from NBA range. Trier is truly always in attack mode, whether he's finding an open pocket of space to score or delivering a bucket with a defender draped all over him. He is simply dangerous and gets results.
The following are the five best passers in the senior class, and each has a skill that separates them from their peers.
4. PG Justin Simon, committed to Arizona

Willingness to give up the ball is a trait that most players don’t have, but Simon exudes unselfishness. He is not a shot-happy point guard and will give up the ball quickly in the conversion game or in the half court. A master at keeping the ball moving, he will sometimes get the assist before the assist (hockey assist) because of his mindset to move and swing the ball so the defense can’t lock in. Simon has height (6-foot-5) along with a 6-foot-11 wing span, which helps him distribute. He also prioritizes keeping his teammates happy.
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... t?id=11991
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chauncy Billups 2.0
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Just need some size to go with these star guards.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Anderson, Ristic, Victor, Comanche, Smith + big guards Trier, Simon, Pitts

there is another
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

97cats wrote:Chauncy Billups 2.0
Any insight into the status or chances with the remaining bigs of this class?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

patience

NBA NBA NBA NBA

Sean Miller is a Witch
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Oh, stewardess?

I speak 97cats.

He says, "Be willing to wait on one-and-done Ivan Rabb."
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Next year's going to be fun in a new way. This year is like last year where we are good as F. No doubt NCAA title contenders. Next year, we will be young, a completely new five, but very talented. So think we can do the same kind of damage as this year if it all breaks right, but probably starting from a starting 15-20 ranking? Then the year after will then be like this year, another no doubt NCAA title contender. Rinse and Repeat :)

The Golden Era of Arizona is upon us.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

97cats wrote:patience

NBA NBA NBA NBA

Sean Miller is a Witch

I have a feeling we will be waiting on those big name recruits every year to decide in the spring as they wait to see which players from our team declare
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I just need 97 to chime in with an "Arizona is right where it wants to be with Rabb/Zimmerman"

Personally, it seems like our chances with both these guys are slipping a bit. Zimmerman is being courted heavily by UK and KU, and Rabb seems to be warming up to staying home and playing for Cal.

Hope I'm wrong.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

PS - I am impressed with Cuonzo. He seems like a bad ass, straight forward dude. I can see where that will come off well with others like him, especially in the demographic, parents, handlers involved (promise this is not meant to be racist, don't be so PC, it's a compliment to him and how real he is, he ain't Ernie Kent or Craig Robinson, he is a great hire and think he'll do great on his own merit).
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Airizona wrote:
97cats wrote:patience

NBA NBA NBA NBA

Sean Miller is a Witch

I have a feeling we will be waiting on those big name recruits every year to decide in the spring as they wait to see which players from our team declare
Wow thanks all. This is exciting.
Nov 14th. can't get here fast enough!! Mount St. Marys 5p!!! Right?
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

G'Town out for Rabb.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Miller will get it done
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Main Event wrote: Miller will get it done