Valley of the Sun Shootout

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TatetheGreat

Re: Valley of the Sun Shootout

Post by TatetheGreat »

PHXCATS wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:I agree with the attack-mode philosophy. Gotta come out with an edge because it will be near impossible to dig ourselves out of a 10+ point hole.

I feel like Sean Miller does not attack guys that often in that aspect. Hope it happens.

Also I like a good hard clean foul on him. Let him know it is not going to be a stroll in the park.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:Texas A&M -1
That's the KenPom prediction - his model isn't all that reliable until about Jan or Feb when the prior season influence burns off.

Actual spread is A&M -3.5.
Nah it opened as a pick em then moved to 1 when I posted that spread. Now its moved to 3½

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... me/2100#BT" target="_blank
Apologies, you're correct. Honestly surprised it opened that tight.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Me as well. That Nassau trip really messed with me. Never left a AZ game at half before
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I think they open based on KenPom and let the bettors move it from there.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Cats will cover.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azcat49 wrote:Cats will cover.
Aggs by 2.5 now
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

If we pull this out..I will have to resist the urge to rush the court.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

UALoco wrote:Looking at the seat map on Ticketmaster, looks like the lower bowl is 75% and the upper bowl is 30% full. Knowing there are a number of tix sold to GCU folks, and Valley fans show up late, the stadium prolly will look less full than that. The FBI investigation and losing the 3 in the Bahamas sure didn't help to build up buzz or momentum around this team going into the game. An unranked Arizona vs Top 10 TAMU looks a lot less appealing than a #2 vs #10 matchup. My vote would be to put all early season, neutral court games in Vegas or San Diego going forward. Places where regular fans can get to via a small road trip. And if the CATS stink it up, hey, you are at least in a town where you can find something to do. Forget this Bahamas and Hawaii crap where it is too expensive and you have to plan WAY in advance unless you are a person of means. Also, I hate to say it, but Phoenix doesn't look like a good destination either if there isn't a brisk last minute or walk-up traffic.
Looking at the seat map this morning and it doesn't look much fuller than 75% lower/30% upper. Pretty disappointing. I remember the 7-up shoot outs being packed. I am typically not one to complain about pricing but $125 ea. lower bowl is pricey. It is $75 behind the backboards and $30 upper bowls but everyone wants great seats these days. That said, I am surprised how many of my Phoenix Cat friends aren't even considering going to the game. I guess the weekday scheduling isn't ideal. Would it have been so hard to make this game on Fri-Sat?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UALoco wrote:
UALoco wrote:Looking at the seat map on Ticketmaster, looks like the lower bowl is 75% and the upper bowl is 30% full. Knowing there are a number of tix sold to GCU folks, and Valley fans show up late, the stadium prolly will look less full than that. The FBI investigation and losing the 3 in the Bahamas sure didn't help to build up buzz or momentum around this team going into the game. An unranked Arizona vs Top 10 TAMU looks a lot less appealing than a #2 vs #10 matchup. My vote would be to put all early season, neutral court games in Vegas or San Diego going forward. Places where regular fans can get to via a small road trip. And if the CATS stink it up, hey, you are at least in a town where you can find something to do. Forget this Bahamas and Hawaii crap where it is too expensive and you have to plan WAY in advance unless you are a person of means. Also, I hate to say it, but Phoenix doesn't look like a good destination either if there isn't a brisk last minute or walk-up traffic.
Looking at the seat map this morning and it doesn't look much fuller than 75% lower/30% upper. Pretty disappointing. I remember the 7-up shoot outs being packed. I am typically not one to complain about pricing but $125 ea. lower bowl is pricey. It is $75 behind the backboards and $30 upper bowls but everyone wants great seats these days. That said, I am surprised how many of my Phoenix Cat friends aren't even considering going to the game. I guess the weekday scheduling isn't ideal. Would it have been so hard to make this game on Fri-Sat?
I know a good number going but also a few others are not able to go due to it being a weeknight with kids and work stuff. A Saturday or Sunday would be better for some fans.

Per Tucson writers, there was a lot of empty seats vs Long Beach at McKale
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UALoco wrote:
For a neutral site game on the ESPN family, I'd assume we have minimal control over scheduling. We have to fit behind the Suns and into the TV schedule. Texas A&M is a good team but not a marquee name to get the highest profile.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UALoco wrote:
For a neutral site game on the ESPN family, I'd assume we have minimal control over scheduling. We have to fit behind the Suns and into the TV schedule. Texas A&M is a good team but not a marquee name to get the highest profile.
Last year's game was on a Saturday with a similar setup in Texas, although the game was very early
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Could have had it Friday night in Phoenix or Friday or Saturday in Glendale. The promoters probably opted for the cheapest option.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

TatetheGreat wrote:Could have had it Friday night in Phoenix or Friday or Saturday in Glendale. The promoters probably opted for the cheapest option.
It is a pain to get to Glendale for most people but I really like the idea of doing a game in Glendale every few years on a weekend. Nice arena overall and if the Coyotes leave after this year or next, the price to use the facility would be cheap.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
Aggs by 2.5 now
It's now pick 'em.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

threenumberones wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
Aggs by 2.5 now
It's now pick 'em.
I'm a shit gambler but I'd take A&M. They trounced OkSt, USC, Penn St... just look like they're a well oiled machine on offense with some really imposing defensive players across their front court.

They're already good at what they do while we're still looking to figure it out.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yeah I'd take A&M -10 at this point.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Does Vegas think Rawle is back or something, doesn't make sense
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Talent is talent. Coaching is coaching. UA has the advantage in both right?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:Talent is talent. Coaching is coaching. UA has the advantage in both right?
Maybe not a talent advantage without Rawle. Texas A&M is definitely playing closer to their ceiling right now. We need to make some shots or it will be a long night. Hopefully D continues to improve, but shooting is a must for us. They have too much inside for us to win without the J.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Ticketmaster dropped the last row of the lower bowl in some end zone sections, including UA designated rows, to $30.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Probably should have done that way sooner. I got some nice ones early for 35 but 125 or 75 is pricey. I would have paid it but wouldnt have brought others
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Arizona Wildcats win by 17 and "The potential is there, is AZ back?" headlines ensue tomorrow.

3:58 PM, 12/5/17
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I'm not a user nor abuser, but I am old with several medical issues and probably qualify for medicinal marijuana. Pleas pass some of what you just had over to me.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

If I was in Vegas I'd bet big on A&M in a pickem situation.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Bordercat wrote:If I was in Vegas I'd bet big on A&M in a pickem situation.
If I were in Vegas, so would I, and I'm a dyed in the wool homer who doesn't bet.I hope that we are ready for them in March, but we aren't there yet.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Attendance is absolutely embarrassing. The prices were way too high for something this close to Christmas and putting it on a Tuesday was really a bad move. I couldn't get anyone else to buy in and go.
prh

Post by prh »

WHERE IS THAT PHOENIX FANBASE WE HEAR ABOUT??
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

prh wrote:WHERE IS THAT PHOENIX FANBASE WE HEAR ABOUT??
Not spending over $100 for decent seats on a Tuesday right before Christmas.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Awful embarrassing for posters like machina. You want games in Phoenix because you are such better fans and you don't shoe up. Sad!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:Awful embarrassing for posters like machina. You want games in Phoenix because you are such better fans and you don't shoe up. Sad!

Shoe..................

If half the number if PHX fans who go to Tucson every bball and football game come from Tucson to PHX then it would be fine bad fan
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I don't know how it translates on tv as I am courtside but it is very loud in here
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

It's loud. Uofa is coming off as loud
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

F the haters again

Phoenix Arizona comes up huge. Bear the fuck down
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

The team won. Phoenix and their attendance/fan issues has nothing to do with the win.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PHXCATS wrote:F the haters again

Phoenix Arizona comes up huge. Bear the fuck down
I credit its sewerage and water treatment facilities. Go sewerage and water treatment facilities! You came up huge.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

As expected. As for the crowd, it was about 75% AZ fans. I actually saw one St Johns fan. Our fans were OK. Picked there spots to stand and get loud.

Props to GCU fans who were trying to get A&M to miss when they were at there end. They have a nice fan base who seem to be enjoying the ride into D-1 basketball. When they make as tourney they will be over the top excited
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

azcat49 wrote:

As expected. As for the crowd, it was about 75% AZ fans. I actually saw one St Johns fan. Our fans were OK. Picked there spots to stand and get loud.

Props to GCU fans who were trying to get A&M to miss when they were at there end. They have a nice fan base who seem to be enjoying the ride into D-1 basketball. When they make as tourney they will be over the top excited
My dad's cousin is an admin at GCU and took me to a game at his floor seats last year. I loved it. They were rowdy, engaged and loud. Even when they couldn't make the tourney. 7K strong and he said they were trying to make it like an intimate Gonzaga type environment. They are my second team now and love how they showed out tonight and every one I talk to from there seems to hate ASsU
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Yes GCU impressed. The arena.... I'll rant later about them
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

gcu fans are great
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Gilbertcat wrote:Yes GCU impressed. The arena.... I'll rant later about them
The place is an outdated shithole. I remember going there the first year it opened to see the Suns play. It was like a new luxury car at the time. But no one wants a mid 90s luxury car anymore.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Lol. Nothing is wrong with the arena aside from the lack of stats on a video board.

Whiny ass fans suck.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

splitsecond wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:Yes GCU impressed. The arena.... I'll rant later about them
The place is an outdated shithole. I remember going there the first year it opened to see the Suns play. It was like a new luxury car at the time. But no one wants a mid 90s luxury car anymore.
Well, new arenas cost more than a luxury car. The people of Maricopa County don't need a new arena for the Suns or anyone else. Maybe some changes like renovating your kitchen or upgrading your flooring. But they don't need to buy a new house.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

All Phoenix Suns fans. All the same monkeys in different shirts.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The shame chant is soooo played out.

It's cute watching GCU act like an established basketball school.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:The shame chant is soooo played out.

It's cute watching GCU act like an established basketball school.
Say what you want about GCU but their fans were a hell of a lot of fun last night. They will never be a PAC-12 or Power 5 team but they do what they can to help the team and did a great job at it.

People probably said similar things about Gonzaga a while ago and now look at them.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

8,900 in attendance and AZ fans covered 18 or 19 sections of the lower bowl. Ran into AD Heeke twice while bar hopping. Great trip besides the $11 beers at the pregame party

Did anyone stay for the GCU game? I bet it was empty. Got home at midnight and would definitely do it again

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe wrote:8,900 in attendance and AZ fans covered 18 or 19 sections of the lower bowl. Ran into AD Heeke twice while bar hopping. Great trip besides the $11 beers at the pregame party

Did anyone stay for the GCU game? I bet it was empty. Got home at midnight and would definitely do it again

Stayed for the first half of the gcu game.

Was a great time.

What did you think of the pregame party minus the drink prices? Had to use the levy vendors so couldn't so anything on price of food or drinks but really want your thoughts
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

PHXCATS wrote:Stayed for the first half of the gcu game.
Over or under 1,000 people?
PHXCATS wrote:What did you think of the pregame party minus the drink prices? Had to use the levy vendors so couldn't so anything on price of food or drinks but really want your thoughts
We wandered downtown for 3 or 4 hours. Went to Hard Rock, The Park, Seamus McCaffreys and Willies Taco Joint. Most of them were dead with the exception of a few AZ fans. We didn't get to the pregame party until about 6:30 but it was packed with AZ fans. Was nice having a full bar as well and not many people had empty hands so they didn't seem to mind the prices. We walked past Tilted Kilt on our way to the stadium and they had more AZ fans than the pregame party did. We even saw an ice skating rink on Central. Really cool area.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

my buddy lives in the high rise that tilted kilt is built into. i go there a lot. one of the few tolerable areas of phoenix.