Re: HUGE WIN

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe wrote:Image
ESPN was saying that it was the correct call this morning
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I tell you what. If that call went against us I'd be bitching.

oh well...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Maybe it was a makeup call for the pushoff?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

rgdeuce wrote:What was I saying about PJC in the closing minutes of games a while back? PJC has had plenty of big plays in plenty of big games these past few seasons. Sean Miller does need to find someone else to inbound the ball though.
Rawle
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

I'm pretty sure Wilson traveled on that play anyways.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

baycat93 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:What was I saying about PJC in the closing minutes of games a while back? PJC has had plenty of big plays in plenty of big games these past few seasons. Sean Miller does need to find someone else to inbound the ball though.
Rawle
yes

or akot if he gets in the rotation (which assumes he has figured things out at that point)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:What I notice with the offense is the absence of weak-side action. Guys coming off screens and ready to shoot. Pin downs. Cross screens on the block to free a big for an entry pass.

Seems we toss it around until someone makes a one-on-one move. Trier is often motionless until he gets the ball. Then you watch how hard someone like Klay Thompson plays without the ball. About 90 percent of his success is because he busts ass before catching the ball.
To my untrained eye, we seem to be setting screens a whole lot less than in previous years. The motion offense is largely motionless.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I thought his left foot was planted when he catches, then he steps right/left and jumps. That's a travel. If his left foot was off the ground, and right foot is the first to hit, it's not.
Neither of those are travels and after watching the video, I dont think he traveled :lol:
Oh no you didn't. I'm gonna have to bust out Wikipedia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling_(basketball" target="_blank)

See in the NCAA portion. When a player has one foot touching the floor (in Davis's case, the left) on the catch, that foot is the pivot. He can put down his right foot and raise his left but cannot then put the left foot down or he has moved and reestablished the pivot foot.

On Davis, it's all about whether you think his left foot was on the floor when he caught the ball.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It was only one step too many.

And the pronation of his left leg, which was caused by his adjustment to catch the ball in his left hand, called attention to the fact that his foot was planted when he caught the ball.

That fan standing in front of his floor seat called it simultaneously with the ref. That was Reydituto, by the way.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I love that several posters on here had killer seats for last nights game.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^ 13 is carrying the basketball like a football before he passes it. The ball cannot be stopped while you are moving.

Not a referee, but that looks more like palming than the receiving player was travelling.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:^ 13 is carrying the basketball like a football before he passes it. The ball cannot be stopped while you are moving.

Not a referee, but that looks more like palming than the receiving player was travelling.
You can pick the ball up like that as long as you don't dribble afterwards. Palming is only during the act of dribbling. When picking up the ball to shoot or pass, you can hold it like that while moving.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:^ 13 is carrying the basketball like a football before he passes it. The ball cannot be stopped while you are moving.

You can pick the ball up like that as long as you don't dribble afterwards. Palming is only during the act of dribbling. When picking up the ball to shoot or pass, you can hold it like that while moving.

I stand corrected! Thanks Spiff.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

When is a catch completed?
I thought he didn't really have possession of ball right away and therefore not a travel.
You see it all of the time when guys are on perimiter and move to catch a pass.

I'd like to see that clip from when he stopped dribbling, that looked more like a travel.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

SunnyAZ wrote:
zonagrad wrote:The travel call was obvious. I yelled, "travel" right when it happened. Davis shuffled his feet and then took three steps without a dribble. Watching it at regular speed it's obvious. And I'm not sure the foul by Ayton with 2 seconds left was legit either. When the actual foul happened, A&M's Wilson wasn't shooting. As soon as the contact was made, he gathered the ball and took the shot. But he wasn't in the act of shooting when the foul happened.

On another note, I hate the Euro step. It's a travel, plain and simple. You can't change direction to avoid a defender when you've picked up your dribble.
I don't know, once he gets possession he gets two steps. He only took two steps after catching it imo.

The Wilson 3PT attempt was close, I would lean to non-shooting foul but can see it called the other way. The initial contact is before he starts shooting but you are allowed to touch someone without that being a foul. When he actually fouls him is close.

The euro step being a travel is a bad take. You get two steps after you pick up your dribble, don't see why changing direction should have any influence whether something is a travel or not.
2nd and third takes you're right. But you are wrong on the first. You can't take two steps BEFORE you dribble. It's why so many people get called for travel after they pump fake and then go. You can take two steps after you dribble (or three if you are Trier running a fast break)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote:When is a catch completed?
I thought he didn't really have possession of ball right away and therefore not a travel.
You see it all of the time when guys are on perimiter and move to catch a pass.

I'd like to see that clip from when he stopped dribbling, that looked more like a travel.
The player has to have control and make a football move or complete the process of the catch.

Wait, what sport are we talking about?

If you take a look at the Wikipedia links, one sends you to the NCAA manual. Control is when a player is "holding the ball." That's why I said it can be immediate if it's a clean catch. If it goes right to the hands, there's no lag time. That's also why tipping the ball doesn't count for traveling. I think the definitions start around p 46 or 47 of the PDF if you want to look.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

With my fan eyes on a replay I could see the travel. At first I didn't see it but they missed another when Texas fell down and slid with the ball so it's even :)
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

You guys are watching too much NBA. That was a travel. The refs sucked last night but that wasn't one the reasons.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:See in the NCAA portion. When a player has one foot touching the floor (in Davis's case, the left) on the catch, that foot is the pivot. He can put down his right foot and raise his left but cannot then put the left foot down or he has moved and reestablished the pivot foot.
Whats throwing me off is he was in motion when he caught the ball but the left foot had just gone down. To the ref that looked like the first step.

Had he been standing still on one foot, caught the ball and taken two steps, would it be travelling? Had he gone from the left foot to landing on both and jumping up it would have been legal.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:On Davis, it's all about whether you think his left foot was on the floor when he caught the ball.
Foot was down but it shifted a little bit when he went for the next step plus he didn't have full control of the ball. In real time and in person it looked like a travel. Slowed down is tough to overturn. Cats win
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:See in the NCAA portion. When a player has one foot touching the floor (in Davis's case, the left) on the catch, that foot is the pivot. He can put down his right foot and raise his left but cannot then put the left foot down or he has moved and reestablished the pivot foot.
Whats throwing me off is he was in motion when he caught the ball but the left foot had just gone down. To the ref that looked like the first step.

Had he been standing still on one foot, caught the ball and taken two steps, would it be travelling? Had he gone from the left foot to landing on both and jumping up it would have been legal.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:On Davis, it's all about whether you think his left foot was on the floor when he caught the ball.
Foot was down but it shifted a little bit when he went for the next step plus he didn't have full control of the ball. In real time and in person it looked like a travel. Slowed down is tough to overturn. Cats win
Yes. If you have one foot on the ground when you catch, the only way you can pick that foot up and put it down again is a jump stop. If a single foot is on the ground when you catch, it's your pivot foot and it cannot get picked up and come down again.

The way it's called in real time varies. If we didn't get that call, it wouldn't be shocking, but by the rule it's a travel.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote:What I notice with the offense is the absence of weak-side action. Guys coming off screens and ready to shoot. Pin downs. Cross screens on the block to free a big for an entry pass.

Seems we toss it around until someone makes a one-on-one move. Trier is often motionless until he gets the ball. Then you watch how hard someone like Klay Thompson plays without the ball. About 90 percent of his success is because he busts ass before catching the ball.
To my untrained eye, we seem to be setting screens a whole lot less than in previous years. The motion offense is largely motionless.
They're called offensive rotations, and I've been complaining about our lack of them since Stanley Johnson left.

Compared to Lute even in his slowest, mid-80s years, our current O is a slog. It needs to create and thrive on opportunities.

Not get stuck watching the ball--or the people around it. My HS basketball coach would have killed a guy for doing that even once.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:It took a great deal of effort for us to play up to our potential. A&M looked more comfortable and in rhythm, and often in the camera closeups of their guards they hardly seemed to be sweating. Effort is still key for us.

One thing we could learn from A&M's really good D: they faceguard/pressure their man all the way to the perimeter pass and always have a hand out as the ball comes in. There were 3-5 times our slow telegraphed motion passes just b-a-r-e-l-y got there. Trier and some of the Freshmen are almost nodding off with their passes.

Another thing: we talk about not having Ristic on the floor with Ayton, but how often against an opponent like this will a pass from anybody other than Ayton turn out well for Ristic?
The off ball pressure runs directly contrary to packline principles. We should not take that from aTm unless we're completely dismantling the packline because attempting that kills the help principles of packline.
Thanks, Spiff. I appreciate instruction. How does packline principle, at least from Miller's perspective, accommodate the act of jumping the route and poaching the pass? It's not strictly off ball if the pass is coming to your man and your man is moving toward an area outside the demarcated arc of defense (as in the example I used of A&M's faceguarding)? Stanimal used to pick off passes beyond the perimeter and get the break away jams.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Isn't Romar involved with the offense? Oh and that wasn't a travel but glad to hear the whistle. He didn't make it anyway
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

11 to's and only 3 in the 2nd half. Pretty good considering we played a top 10 team
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:It took a great deal of effort for us to play up to our potential. A&M looked more comfortable and in rhythm, and often in the camera closeups of their guards they hardly seemed to be sweating. Effort is still key for us.

One thing we could learn from A&M's really good D: they faceguard/pressure their man all the way to the perimeter pass and always have a hand out as the ball comes in. There were 3-5 times our slow telegraphed motion passes just b-a-r-e-l-y got there. Trier and some of the Freshmen are almost nodding off with their passes.

Another thing: we talk about not having Ristic on the floor with Ayton, but how often against an opponent like this will a pass from anybody other than Ayton turn out well for Ristic?
The off ball pressure runs directly contrary to packline principles. We should not take that from aTm unless we're completely dismantling the packline because attempting that kills the help principles of packline.
Thanks, Spiff. I appreciate instruction. How does packline principle, at least from Miller's perspective, accommodate the act of jumping the route and poaching the pass? It's not strictly off ball if the pass is coming to your man and your man is moving toward an area outside the demarcated arc of defense (as in the example I used of A&M's faceguarding)? Stanimal used to pick off passes beyond the perimeter and get the break away jams.
Packline is predicated on off ball principles revolving around help D for the ballhandler. If you're within a pass's range, priority one is being attuned to shutting down penetration. Then comes recovery to your man if the pass goes there. Since a lot is predicated on controlling penetration, you want to close out with an eye toward controlling penetration. If you try to shoot the passing lane, you miss and penetration happens.

Same thing with faceguarding. If you do that too much, you pull out of the help position Miller wants. It doesn't mean you can't pick some passes off. In packline, you can, but you want to only do it when you're absolutely going to get them. The easiest way is when a dribbler passes from a non-offensive position. Help side should vary with the threat an opponent poses. When a ballhandler is stationary at halfcourt, you can be tighter in a passing lane because you have time to recover into help position if he gets into range.

Packline, most turnovers are going to be predicated off the O getting frustrated with penetration cut off and forcing things that aren't there. The big difference I'd lay out between packline and A&M's D is weakside priority. We have higher priority on help on penetration with recovery to your man. They prioritize denial and cutting off lanes. Both styles have advantages and disadvantages.

In fairness, I've read packline stuff but was never taught it myself. I played in a man system oriented to pressure and cutting off passing moreso, so I understand the A&M style more naturally.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

For Dovecanyon, I've always thought this article was a good description of the base principles of the packline in easy to understand presentation.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... u-beat-it/" target="_blank
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:For Dovecanyon, I've always thought this article was a good description of the base principles of the packline in easy to understand presentation.

I’m not Dovecanyon but I loved reading this article....very interesting and helpful. Thanks Spiff!
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I'm Dave who has been in a canyon plus 100, and I also appreciated the article, Spiff. Those of us who haven't played much organized ball need stuff like that. I didn't get to play much because I was short, but I made up for it by being slow. ;-).
gumby

Post by gumby »

azcat49 wrote:Isn't Romar involved with the offense? Oh and that wasn't a travel but glad to hear the whistle. He didn't make it anyway
Would've been shooting FTs for Ayton's hack on the arm.

I think if ESPN started a show in which ref calls were analyzed and argued, it would get epic ratings. Never ceases to amaze me how that dominates post-game commentary on message boards. Fans are tireless when it comes to the refs. They are convinced they suck and are tilted against their team.

P.S. Same with media. The irony is that the refs and the media are the two entities in attendance that care least about who wins.
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:
Chicat wrote:I can’t remember the last time I was this uninspired by a win.

It was probably going 11 minutes without a FG in the 2nd half and then some real crappy play in the final minutes which has me so meh right now. Feels like we have a long way to go.
Almost exactly what I was going to say. That was not a high level game. It was enormously important for us, but neither team played stellar ball. Probably a combination of A&M being really good on defense and having a bad night on offense. Hogg and Trier, top scorers respectively, stunk it up. Williams did, too. Have a hard time saying A&M is better than Purdue. Reminded me of the SMU game, which was there for the taking.

We played better defense, but the offense was disjointed. As I said before, most teams will double Ayton, so guys have to make shots. For the most part, they didn't. Many open looks for Barcello and Trier (first half). Smith was the guy who made them pay for double teams. Ristic's buckets were courtesy of Ayton's passes. Still haven't established a consistent way of getting Ayton the ball.

We held our own on the boards. Didn't surrender many blow-bys. Made free throws (this was the difference). Still, simple tasks elude the players. Like defending inbounds under the hoop or deliberately fouling near the halfcourt line. (If that shot goes in, Ayton erases the image of Jamelle Horne).

An ugly game. Happy to have the win. But miles to go before we sleep.
I seriously don't get this. As RG posted above, Texas A&M is a top 20 offensive and defensive team on KenPom. That is typically a marker of national championship level teams.

Add in that the narrative before this on here was this team was soft. Well, the soft team won a slugfest against a big experienced Final Four level team. Now we're uninspired?

I agree there are areas to work on, but I see that as a testament to this team's potential. Texas A&M has arguably been the best team in on court results this year. Winning that with room to improve...we still have a high ceiling.
Exactly.. The narrative from the A&M game to me is: "We beat a potential final four team when we still weren't clicking. Without Alkins. Without Trier and Ayton having monster games. Imagine what we can do when we have Alkins and we are clicking." The toughness to win a slugfest against a tough team being the second biggest narrative. Maybe we do have big nuts, we just have to let them hang.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:A&M was committing a foul on every inbound in the last minute. That's what teams do when they're desperate. It's up to the officials to enforce the rules. A smart team will push the rules as far as they can and make the refs call something (see Illinois-AZ '05).
Do I have to see that game? I wish I hadn't seen it to begin with.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I sort of like Ayton inbounding in those situations. Huge, mobile and has shown good passing ability. Yes, he's young and you worry about his judgment in those situations, but all our options have downsides.
Thats who I was thinking.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Looked to me that the ref and Rey got the call right. I think it looks like less of a travel because it was called in the game's final minute.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:For Dovecanyon, I've always thought this article was a good description of the base principles of the packline in easy to understand presentation.

That was good, explains all the rushing at the 3 point shooters in the corner UA does.

Of course it doesn't help that UA is 222nd is 3 pt defense: http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-me ... eam/518/p5" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:

That was good, explains all the rushing at the 3 point shooters in the corner UA does.

Of course it doesn't help that UA is 222nd is 3 pt defense: http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-me ... eam/518/p5" target="_blank
We're usually good there. I think the bad 3 point D is evidence of how we need to tighten up execution. We had about the same physical abilities last year and were much better.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:In fairness, I've read packline stuff but was never taught it myself. I played in a man system oriented to pressure and cutting off passing moreso, so I understand the A&M style more naturally.
Same, but I think you did a good job relaying the concept.

I did a breakdown elsewhere, but in the packline you dont want to deny passing lanes, you always want to be sitting help side, and in the pack line that means protecting the paint. Randolph has issues with this, as he has been caught multiple times denying his man a pass off the ball. That is a no-no. The ball pressure is applied, and everyone is there sitting help to protect the middle.

So in the case of jumping passing lanes, or leaping for blocks, you are breaking down the help side D/ball pressure. Miller wants his guys sitting help, closing out, and recovering help side.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:

We're usually good there. I think the bad 3 point D is evidence of how we need to tighten up execution. We had about the same physical abilities last year and were much better.
Definitely. This is why giving up penetration, or covering backside for a few extra counts as Ristic recovers from those SSNR hedges, kills you. You cant close out to shooters in time. Plus, since we know the only way to reliably defend on threes is to prevent them from being taken all together, you can see why our 3PT D is suffering this season.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:In fairness, I've read packline stuff but was never taught it myself. I played in a man system oriented to pressure and cutting off passing moreso, so I understand the A&M style more naturally.

I did a breakdown elsewhere, but in the packline you dont want to deny passing lanes, you always want to be sitting help side, and in the pack line that means protecting the paint. Randolph has issues with this, as he has been caught multiple times denying his man a pass off the ball. That is a no-no. The ball pressure is applied, and everyone is there sitting help to protect the middle.

So in the case of jumping passing lanes, or leaping for blocks, you are breaking down the help side D/ball pressure. Miller wants his guys sitting help, closing out, and recovering help side.
That's why I posted the article breakdown. I love how it lays it out by priority level. That's always made the most sense to me. Off ball, priority level is always:

1. Correct position to cut off penetration.
2. Good position to close out to your man (either assigned or in rotation) without giving up a clean look or penetration.
3. Passing lanes.

You can pick passes, but it should be because priorities 1 and 2 are executed and that leaves you in a passing lane due to the offensive positioning. Executing help position plus staying in recovery range are ALWAYS paramount. The rest has to sort itself out.

Do it right and you get a bunch of east/west movement by the offense without getting close to the rim. This year, we've been ok with the offense's first thrust but once they get us recovering and rotating, we get gashed too easily.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: 1. Correct position to cut off penetration.
2. Good position to close out to your man (either assigned or in rotation) without giving up a clean look or penetration.
3. Passing lanes.
Al Franken quit for less than that!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: 1. Correct position to cut off penetration.
3. Passing lanes.
Al Franken quit for less than that!
Think of packline like Mike Pence. Unless you're married to who you're guarding, there should be zero penetration.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This felt like a bigger win to me, most likely because Alabama played better than A&M did and we played (slightly) better than Bama.

Feeling a lot more confident after tonight but it still looks and feels disjointed for much of the game. It’s still a collection of disparate talents, but I do see the foundation being laid for playing a team game most of the time. Hoping to see that in full effect by ASU.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Akot and Smith combine to play ONE MINUTE tonight. ONE!! Smith was a key contributor and leading scorer against A&M. Against Alabama he plays one minute. Pinder played four minutes and was a non entity.

Randolph stepped up and shot it well and finished with 13. He continues to improve. Alkins was understandably rusty on offense. His shot will come around. He had some good looks and needs to build confidence in game situations.

Just look at the transformation of this team in a few short weeks since the Bahamas disaster. And the transformation will continue as the season unfolds.

I imagine we'll need some contributions from Smith and Pinder on the road against some Pac 12 foe. Barcello, too.

Best case scenario come March: Ayton is a monster and virtually unstoppable. Trier makes opponents pay for their doubling of Ayton and continues to bank a ton of points by his outside shot and getting to the FT line when he attacks the rim. Randolph continues to develop as a scoring threat from outside and a good finisher in transition. Alkins' game comes around and he brings defense and toughness and makes opponents pay when they forget about him because they're so focused on Ayton and Trier. Ristic needs to continue to be a reliable option in the low post and bring energy on defense and stay active on the boards. PJC needs to focus his energy on the defensive end of the floor. He needs to be a flat out pest and make it difficult for opponents to run their stuff. On offense: just push the ball and keep it moving. But don't over penetrate. If the wide open shot is there, knock it down.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This team is winning the national title. It's hard to see right now because we're not yet the team we're going to become. But it's happening. 2018 is the year we get back to the top.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

zonagrad wrote:Akot and Smith combine to play ONE MINUTE tonight. ONE!! Smith was a key contributor and leading scorer against A&M. Against Alabama he plays one minute. Pinder played four minutes and was a non entity.
I think Akot is dinged, but there isn't a lot of room right now with Rawle back (hope that isn't disrespecting Akot for attention). Smith...I know he hit a few big shots early vs TAMU, but he also threw what can only be called interceptions, just right in the gut passes to the defender like he didn't see them...he turned the ball over in Phoenix pretty regularly, then in that one minute in tonight's game, he runs up and tries to throw a flat angle post past with the little wraparound spin like rec ball and threw it right into the gut of the defender. It was his last play, and, honestly, I don't know how he finds his way back much if ever. Smith and Barcello are the most impacted by Rawle's return, if Akot's issue is injury (if not, then Akot is the most impacted from expectations to current PT situation). Alex will still get some PG back up in small minutes, and might be used as a 3 point option late in a game. But with Randolph really picking it back up toward a level we heard he was capable of following the concussion and the time and timing missed by sitting out waiting to be cleared, and Rawle being back and already looking pretty in control (other than the corner 3), and Zo looking as controlled and deadly as he has all year with that combination...wing minutes are not a need.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

Pinder, Smith and Akot on the outs! Akot not ready, Smith makes stupid passes, Pinder will get some minutes. These guys will play in blowouts.

8 man rotation:

PJC/Barcello
Trier
Randolph/Rawle
Ayton/Lee
Ristic
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:
zonagrad wrote:The travel call was obvious. I yelled, "travel" right when it happened. Davis shuffled his feet and then took three steps without a dribble. Watching it at regular speed it's obvious. And I'm not sure the foul by Ayton with 2 seconds left was legit either. When the actual foul happened, A&M's Wilson wasn't shooting. As soon as the contact was made, he gathered the ball and took the shot. But he wasn't in the act of shooting when the foul happened.

On another note, I hate the Euro step. It's a travel, plain and simple. You can't change direction to avoid a defender when you've picked up your dribble.
I don't know, once he gets possession he gets two steps. He only took two steps after catching it imo.

The Wilson 3PT attempt was close, I would lean to non-shooting foul but can see it called the other way. The initial contact is before he starts shooting but you are allowed to touch someone without that being a foul. When he actually fouls him is close.

The euro step being a travel is a bad take. You get two steps after you pick up your dribble, don't see why changing direction should have any influence whether something is a travel or not.
2nd and third takes you're right. But you are wrong on the first. You can't take two steps BEFORE you dribble. It's why so many people get called for travel after they pump fake and then go. You can take two steps after you dribble (or three if you are Trier running a fast break)
simple to call with that in consideration.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

That's why I posted the article breakdown. I love how it lays it out by priority level. That's always made the most sense to me. Off ball, priority level is always:

1. Correct position to cut off penetration.
3. Passing lanes.

You can pick passes, but it should be because priorities 1 and 2 are executed and that leaves you in a passing lane due to the offensive positioning. Executing help position plus staying in recovery range are ALWAYS paramount. The rest has to sort itself out.

Do it right and you get a bunch of east/west movement by the offense without getting close to the rim. This year, we've been ok with the offense's first thrust but once they get us recovering and rotating, we get gashed too easily.
Thanks for the link, Spiff, and thanks for the discussion, Clip, it explains a lot, especially the off ball priorities. Against mature teams with good passers/ball movement my stomach acid rises late in the shot clock as our guys race to keep up and close out. Knowing that that condition is an intrinsic design of the packline will help.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law