Rawle Alkins

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

SunnyAZ

Re: Rawle Alkins

Post by SunnyAZ »

azcat49 wrote:Keeping my fingers crossed but some of this is just weird. If you are dunking and putting that kind of pressure on your foot you should be good to go. If it a timing thing I would think they wouldn't have him elavating
it is a combination of conditioning and knowing you can go hard for an extended period of time without re-hurting yourself, neither is important while just dunking.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Jefe wrote:

Shooting just like I showed him. :P
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

HiCat wrote:Shooting just like I showed him. :P
All arms? :lol:
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Jefe wrote:
HiCat wrote:Shooting just like I showed him. :P
All arms? :lol:

You got it. More efficient shooting. :lol:
gumby

Post by gumby »

“I don’t know,” he said. “I can’t really comment on that. We’ll figure that out as we go. He’s certainly progressing. Today is the 10th week for him, so his rehab is going well. He’s focusing on school. He’s able to practice for the first time so we kind of take it day-by-day moving forward.”
"I can't really comment?" Awkward wording. Trier flashbacks.
Right where I want to be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Day to day sounds great! Just needs some conditioning now. He was working out on the beach in the Bahamas with Chris Rounds
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

gumby wrote:
“I don’t know,” he said. “I can’t really comment on that. We’ll figure that out as we go. He’s certainly progressing. Today is the 10th week for him, so his rehab is going well. He’s focusing on school. He’s able to practice for the first time so we kind of take it day-by-day moving forward.”
"I can't really comment?" Awkward wording. Trier flashbacks.

More than awkward it sounds like he's hedging a bit...he could have said a ton of other things but this sounds premeditated...ie:

"I don't really have a time when he will be at full health and able to play in a game"...or..."He's been cleared for full contact, as far as when he is available that is purely a day to day call based on evaluation"...or...
"Rawle has been cleared to play and is anxious to return but we are being cautious and are not setting and exact return time yet"...

He did not repeat anything POSITIVE such as him being cleared physically...to say he "cannot" comment means that there is the possibility that Miller is not the one making the decision about Rawles return and since he IS the head coach that might mean some other shit.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

As far as I'm aware (this was as of 2 weeks ago) Rawle will not be held out for anything outside of this injury. After Atlantis Miller knows how fricken important Rawle is for numerous reasons. He quite frankly is the heart and soul of this team and his presence will be huge. The goal for this season is winning it all, so Miller isn't going to force him back too soon due to the risk even if it looks like he's good to go.

Now who knows what could've came to light since 2 weeks ago, but outside of pure paranoia and cautiousness there's no other reason he will be held out as far as I'm aware.

Let's put it this way if we were in the NCAA tournament Rawle would already be playing. Long road to reach the ultimate goal.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks choo.

I get everyone wanting rawle back and I do too, but you don't mess with a jones fracture or it's rehab.

I'm believe this is all par for the course and medical until proven otherwise.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Thought Miller said he is 100% healed up, but not in playing condition since he was unable to work out at all for the last 10 weeks.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

ChooChooCat wrote:As far as I'm aware (this was as of 2 weeks ago) Rawle will not be held out for anything outside of this injury. After Atlantis Miller knows how fricken important Rawle is for numerous reasons. He quite frankly is the heart and soul of this team and his presence will be huge. The goal for this season is winning it all, so Miller isn't going to force him back too soon due to the risk even if it looks like he's good to go.

Now who knows what could've came to light since 2 weeks ago, but outside of pure paranoia and cautiousness there's no other reason he will be held out as far as I'm aware.

Let's put it this way if we were in the NCAA tournament Rawle would already be playing. Long road to reach the ultimate goal.

Yeah I guess this makes sense...I think I'm "snake bite worried" for the last few seasons...

I'm pretty sure Miller would never imply Rawle was coming back if there were questions or hesitancy from the AD for him to play...

It's that fucking FBI thing again, they way they did their dog and pony show to make everyone believe there was some huge landfall of universities and coaches about to be in trouble and here we are with nothing but dog poop and pony poop left over from the show.

Fuck 'em.

Let the savage life run.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

A really unfortunate choice of words given the level of sanity of Miller's audience.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:Thought Miller said he is 100% healed up, but not in playing condition since he was unable to work out at all for the last 10 weeks.
Yeah if we were in dire need of being full power he'd play now, but we're 9 games into the season and we just got two resume wins. If we lost either of the last two games I'd probably go on a limb and guarantee he plays against Bama, but since we won both my money is on him sitting this one out as well. Short term pain for long term gain.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:A really unfortunate choice of words given the level of sanity of Miller's audience.
Hey, I resemble that!
Right where I want to be.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:Thought Miller said he is 100% healed up, but not in playing condition since he was unable to work out at all for the last 10 weeks.
This is entirely consistent with how to manage post healing of this type of fracture in the athlete.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
This is entirely consistent with how to manage post healing of this type of fracture in the athlete.
I don't have the medical background you do, but having lived a few serious injuries, yeah, it's a completely fluid process. It isn't just the foot doesn't break again, but comfort the day after, lack of pain, Rawle trusting it and not protecting it during games, etc. You can't timetable those things. When they happen, they happen.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
I don't have the medical background you do, but having lived a few serious injuries, yeah, it's a completely fluid process. It isn't just the foot doesn't break again, but comfort the day after, lack of pain, Rawle trusting it and not protecting it during games, etc. You can't timetable those things. When they happen, they happen.
And I don't have the basketball background your do, but what you speak to above is entirely correct.

You don't want to create another injury or a rejury by shortchanging the resolution of soft tissue symptoms swelling and pain even the the bone is healed.

I maintain that scooby reinjured himself on his first game back because this part of the process wasn't given enough time. It was just "meniscus healed, let's go!!!" With not much attention paid to game shape.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
And I don't have the basketball background your do, but what you speak to above is entirely correct.

You don't want to create another injury or a rejury by shortchanging the resolution of soft tissue symptoms swelling and pain even the the bone is healed.

I maintain that scooby reinjured himself on his first game back because this part of the process wasn't given enough time. It was just "meniscus healed, let's go!!!" With not much attention paid to game shape.
I'm happy that Miller isn't putting expectations on Rawle. I can speak from personal experience that a player will make decisions that are not in his best interest. I broke my ankle and tore multiple ligaments in it my freshman year of HS. The boot came off right before basketball tryouts. I couldn't walk right and I didn't miss a second of tryouts. I had enough pain after practices that I'd secretly cry in the showers because it felt like it was broken again. I would never have admitted it to a coach or asked off the court.

Players are players because they have a drive to play and the higher that drive is, the better they are. Coaches and trainers need to stop players from hurting themselves with that natural drive. If Miller put a timeline, that pressures Rawle. Miller is exactly right in trying to be completely neutral and keep pressure off Rawle's decision.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

But he won't start no matter what
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:But he won't start no matter what
10 minutes max probably.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Why even tell reporters that?

Answer: To complicate Alabama’s preparation.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Longhorned wrote:Why even tell reporters that?

Exactly!
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Longhorned wrote:Why even tell reporters that?

But what is his ceiling as a coach?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Savage life! 8-)

The Alkins Effect: What Rawle adds to Arizona

Rawle Alkins is set to return Saturday, but what does it all mean?
By Matt Sheeley Dec 8, 2017, 12:12pm PST

The Arizona Wildcats will finally be at full strength Saturday when they square off against the Alabama Crimson Tide in McKale Center, as super-sophomore Rawle Alkins will make his season debut.

Alkins missed the Wildcats’ first nine games after needing surgery on a broken bone in his foot. Frankly, he’s been sorely missed. Arizona sits at 6-3, the first time they’ve lost three times in their first nine games since the 2011-12 season, a year they ended up missing the NCAA Tournament.

Rawle had a very good freshman season in red and blue and it should be assumed that he’ll step in and be one of the best players on this year’s Wildcat squad. However, bringing players on to the floor in the middle of the season is not always a simple process. And with three losses on the Wildcats’ record as it is, there’s not a lot of room for error. Let’s take a look at what Rawle Alkins adds to the team:

Defensive Leadership

Arizona’s defense has not been pretty to start the season. There’s a lot of holes, scheme wise, and the players haven’t made up for those holes with their effort.

Effort from Alkins is never in question. He gives everything he’s got when he’s on the defensive end and that is something this team desperately needs. Alkins will be the guy taking each opponent’s premier perimeter scorer and will do his absolute best to lock that guy down. He’s no slouch in the post either with his large frame and footwork, a talent that will certainly come in handy on a team that has surrendered more points in the paint than any other Pac-12 team.

He averaged nearly one steal per game last season and at one point had nine straight games where he had at least one. His steals faded toward the end of the season but it wasn’t due to lack of effort. Alkins stays home on most defenders instead of playing passing lanes.

The biggest benefit of having Rawle back at the defensive end is his intensity and leadership. There’s enough freshmen on this team that Alkins’ mentality can be contagious, much like Kadeem Allen’s defensive mindset was a year ago. Arizona’s defensive effort must improve and if everybody follows Rawle’s lead, easy buckets for the opponent will be few and far between.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... bama-depth" target="_blank
Last edited by HiCat on Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So far, we've largely been less than the sum of our parts. I don't see any way Rawle does anything but help that. It's been like that because we have individual breakdowns that snowball. Rawle is one guy less likely to break down and that will help a lot.

The younger guys will improve, but this is simply dropping an all-conference level guy into the lineup. Everyone else gets the benefit, whether it's through a reduction in their own responsibility or someone to look to in leading us. The offensive effect of a third high level scorer matters a lot too. Guys like Randolph and PJC get more open looks by proximity to other weapons.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it...
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Exciting news indeed....just pray he takes care of it and doesn’t push too hard too soon. Bear Down #SavageLife!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Longhorned wrote:Image
Best post in the thread.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

He is already the 2nd most important player on this team.

He - Changes our defense for the better
He - Adds a 2nd wing that can get to the basket (amazing body control, doesn't get bumped off the drive)
He - Is an inventive passer off the drive
He - Makes Trier play smarter (no more Get Out of Jail Free card for Zo)
He - Eliminates the need for Dylan to play, throw another pass directly into the opposition hands
He - Provides emotional leadership, on court leadership, accountability

First minutes back, he drives to the basket twice and drops dime-level passes.

He will gain his shot and more defensive stamina as we bring him back. But anyone who says they expected him to be this impactful (not stat-line, necessarily, just overall) first game back is lying, IMO. He was really a difference maker for the team mentality. With Brandon rounding into shape after the concussion and subsequent limited time, you can see what this team will be in March, and it looks pretty good.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

"I'll disrespect Allonzo Trier to get attention on the internet."
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

who, me?

That is a knee jerk reaction if so. I am not exactly a "hot take" poster, nor do I give a fuck about attention on the internet. Nor do I fanboy any of our players, or disrespect them.

But, yes, it gives Miller extra control. Not a new concept in college hoops...having the ability to sit a player if they go too far. And Trier was not at his team best in the Bahamas, ball hawking freshmen. Tonight...you had Zo at near perfection, and if you don't believe Alkins as an option impacts how Zo plays, well, we just have to disagree.

But I hardly worry about attention on the internet, I have a little better track record around here, I believe, than that, I don't jam on college kids, and Allonzo is equal to Rawle who is equal to DeAndre and so on to me. I cheer for their uniform. Occasionally, I have a personal connection to a player, and I am up front about that (Alex).

But if that was about my post and that is all you read from it, I think that speaks more to your avitar and your looking for disrespect than actual disrespect. The concept of the college coach having the ability to bench a player improving player's game is as old as the game. IT's an absolutely silly response to my post if so...if I wanted to hot take Zo for attention, I could do so, and the post would be about him. The post is about Rawle Alkins and what he adds to this team, and there is impact to Zo and some of his weaker points.
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

I don't think its disrespecting trier at all. I agree, in the long run. Like if this team can make a final 4/'chip run, rawle will have to end up being the 2nd best player and most important player on this team. He's no doubt the leader this team needs, now that he's finally back. He was rusty, but come march, rawle is going to be the a vocal beast we need. Trier is great, we need his scoring punch, but rawle is vocal and more overall. Stupid argument though - it's a big 3, we need Ayton, Rawle, and Trier to all be playing well in march to see this team go far. duh

And lmao longhorned...I never though of that but spot on
Last edited by WildHolcs on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

WildHolcs wrote:I don't think its disrespecting trier at all. I agree, in the long run. Like if this team can make a final 4/'chip run, rawle will have to end up being the 2nd best player and most important player on this team. He's no doubt the leader this team needs, now that he's finally back. He was rusty, but come march, rawle is going to be the a vocal beast we need. Trier is great, we need his scoring punch, but rawle is vocal and more overall. Stupid argument though - it's a big 3, we need Ayton, Rawle, and Trier to all be playing well in march to see this team go far. duh
That's all it is...was noting ALkins immediate impact on the whole team in like 7 different points, ONE that mentioned Zo, and it is truth.

I have no issue with Zo at all. We need him as much as anyone on the team other than Ayton. But it is never good for a college coach to lack options, and Trier was pretty much unbenchable in the first part of the season, and there were some times he took advantage with shot selection. This makes him better, and Rawle on the wing with him will free up Zo to create with less forcing. Zo forces the ball when we don't have other options, and now he doesn't need to.

It's just funny that THAT was what was pulled out of my post, or that I am a "hot take" guy looking for attention :lol:
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

I wouldn't get too worried about it. Any guy who watches zona bball religiously realizes rawles importance. And any true zone fan and or alumni appreciates Zo. He's a third year and gives a ton. I do hate the people who just complain...here we got a really talented scored/junior bearing down, he's a really good college player and all people can say is ...whah, he shoots to much, or iso zo...but then they complain about 1 and done. what is it dude? You going to appreciate a guy who has stayed at Zona for 3 years or just bitch about isozo? I don't get it. Some people are so fair weather from game to game its ridiculous. I love rawle, I hate rawle...We need trier, i wish trier would've left. Uhhh, disgusting. Some of y'all need to check yourselves
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

WildHolcs wrote:I wouldn't get too worried about it. Any guy who watches zona bball religiously realizes rawles importance. And any true zone fan and or alumni appreciates Zo. He's a third year and gives a ton. I do hate the people who just complain...here we got a really talented scored/junior bearing down, he's a really good college player and all people can say is ...whah, he shoots to much, or iso zo...but then they complain about 1 and done. what is it dude? You going to appreciate a guy who has stayed at Zona for 3 years or just bitch about isozo? I don't get it. Some people are so fair weather from game to game its ridiculous. I love rawle, I hate rawle...We need trier, i wish trier would've left. Uhhh, disgusting. Some of y'all need to check yourselves
Totally agree. Sometimes, Zo presses because no one else is doing anything (X last year...Lauri wasn't making himself available). But sometimes, Zo presses because Zo presses, and in the early season, he knew he had a long leash. This tightens that up some, and this Zo, measured, and killing people off the drive knowing that he has options on the drive (two awesome passes tonight) , is the better for it. You can see when he is pressing or doing too much...he pushes off a lot, slips turning the corner, and carries on the dribble maybe more than he gets called. But tonight, he is keeping his feet, eyes open, trusting teammates (because they are improved with Rawle and Brandon playing better), getting to the line, and not pressing in the first half when it was not needed.
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

Agree...I honestly don't think Zo wants to just isozo. I think he's a smart player who believes in himself. One awesome play vs bama I think of was the drive and oop to Ayton. We need Zo, we need Ayton, and we def need rawle to win big this year. Without any of them we aren't winning big. 3 cogs. They all need to run for the guys to get where all of us want the team to get.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

EVCat wrote:who, me?

That is a knee jerk reaction if so. I am not exactly a "hot take" poster, nor do I give a fuck about attention on the internet. Nor do I fanboy any of our players, or disrespect them.

But, yes, it gives Miller extra control. Not a new concept in college hoops...having the ability to sit a player if they go too far. And Trier was not at his team best in the Bahamas, ball hawking freshmen. Tonight...you had Zo at near perfection, and if you don't believe Alkins as an option impacts how Zo plays, well, we just have to disagree.

But I hardly worry about attention on the internet, I have a little better track record around here, I believe, than that, I don't jam on college kids, and Allonzo is equal to Rawle who is equal to DeAndre and so on to me. I cheer for their uniform. Occasionally, I have a personal connection to a player, and I am up front about that (Alex).

But if that was about my post and that is all you read from it, I think that speaks more to your avitar and your looking for disrespect than actual disrespect. The concept of the college coach having the ability to bench a player improving player's game is as old as the game. IT's an absolutely silly response to my post if so...if I wanted to hot take Zo for attention, I could do so, and the post would be about him. The post is about Rawle Alkins and what he adds to this team, and there is impact to Zo and some of his weaker points.
I was shooting at you but it was a shot from the hip. Apologies for being disrespectful - I'm emotionally defensive of Trier.

You're right that Rawle brings what this team needs, but I'm a little irked that people look at Trier and say "eh" when he's doing so much for us. I honestly think his individual defense has been fantastic since that bad run in the Bahamas and he's clearly looking to set up other players since teams are putting so much emphasis on him as a scorer. I mean... he didn't take a field goal attempt until the five minute mark of the first half, when he nailed that run stopping triple (which he followed up with a dime to Ayton for the stuff).

Your points about Rawle making Trier a better player and Arizona a better team are accurate, I think.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

last night Alonzo Trier had 25 points on 6FG attempts - I just want to make sure that stat is on the boards
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

97cats wrote:last night Alonzo Trier had 25 points on 6FG attempts - I just want to make sure that stat is on the boards

Pretty damn efficient. He also rebounded well, had hs best passing game, played good on ball D, actually played decent off ball D, and even fought thru screens ok. It was the Trier we need to get where we want.

I love where this team is headed as long as everyone stays healthy.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400987239" target="_blank

Rawle 22 mins, 7 pts, 2 rebs, 3 asts, 1 stl, 1 blk, 4 pfs

Not bad for Rawle's comeback. A little rusty shooting, ft's so so, couple of to's, but gave a lot of added toughness and energy.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

HiCat wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400987239

Not bad for Rawle's comeback. A little rusty shooting, ft's so so, couple of to's, but gave a lot of added toughness and energy.
Lateral movement not quite all the way back. He was blown by a few times. Sure glad to have him back though. He may be our smartest player on both ends as well
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Glue guy and an all around better team with him in the line up.

Immediate injection of toughness.

So glad he is back. He'll get better once he shakes of the rust and his ankle gets stronger.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400987239

His shot looked off and he looked like he was adjusting. That's all par for the course, and it's great to have him back.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Love the way he's back and be a leader so quick. I saw him shoot a couple of instructions to none other than DeAndre which were clearly instructions. You can tell, even without the words, the difference between instructions and normal organizational player communication during a game.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Frybry02 wrote: He may be our smartest player on both ends as well
EOCT wrote:Love the way he's back and be a leader so quick. I saw him shoot a couple of instructions to none other than DeAndre which were clearly instructions. You can tell, even without the words, the difference between instructions and normal organizational player communication during a game.
Good points.

The reaction he got in McKale was awesome, as was the smile he could not wipe off. Fan favorite, once he shakes the rust and gets his legs under him, look out.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Someone needs to dampen the enthusiasm, so here goes: Randy Brandy will continue to improve and keep Rawle as the 4th most productive player on the team. But Alkins' defense and hustle will be contagious and make the difference for this team. I predict a single digit win in the 80s over ASU in McKale to end the year and the Devil's perfect record.