Best/Worst analysts/commentators/announcers

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

catgrad97

Re: Best/Worst analysts/commentators/announcers

Post by catgrad97 »

Dropped ESPN like a bad habit a year ago and have never missed it since. With a "skeleton crew" on basketball featuring Screamin' A. and Goodman, what would anyone be missing?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Pete Prisco ladies and gents...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Dude is getting absolutely blown up on Twitter for that garbage take. Reduced to tweeting back, "I don't care. It's my opinion."

Dude, if it was *just* your opinion, you wouldn't have taken to your work Twitter account to air it, much less defend it. Way to rustle up views, though. All that matters, right?
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Can’t believe what garbage Jeff Goodman is putting out these days....The Balls first game (College and HS Droputs, Reality Show only) was front page news by Jeff.....YET with all his brown-nosing of the Balls he failed to mention what CBS did....the game was against a bunch of youngsters 16-17 while the Balls Team had men in their 20’s ....kind of like a college team playing a HS Team.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lian ... takeaways/. Full disclosure: it also made front page of CBS too but their take seemed to be more impartial.

Journalism is dead and Goodman is exhibit A. Can we please rescind his ‘Wildcat’ status? So embarassing.....
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Kevin O'Neill rocking double USA flag pins on Pac-12 Network post-game show tonight.
Bangkok Wildcat

Eddie House as the commentary guy on P12 is horrible...forget his ASU pedigree...He is very boring.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Eddie House as the commentary guy on P12 is horrible...forget his ASU pedigree...He is very boring.
That "sauce" commentary was funny and sad at the same time. Like a Bill Walton ramble. Though, to be fair, Bill Walton's problem is he rambles through the entire game, ruining it.
Bangkok Wildcat

qwertyus wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Eddie House as the commentary guy on P12 is horrible...forget his ASU pedigree...He is very boring.
That "sauce" commentary was funny and sad at the same time. Like a Bill Walton ramble. Though, to be fair, Bill Walton's problem is he rambles through the entire game, ruining it.
Agreed...don’t like either at this point. Give me Muehlbach anytime! Also Don Maclean is pretty good IMO.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Wish we could have just once heard him announce a Rose Bowl when Arizona was playing.

:(
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Re: Best/Worst analysts/commentators/announcer

Didn’t get to see the Oregon until now (thanks YouTube ;-) ).....Anyways, Good God, Walton is getting worse and dragging Dave Pasch down further.....so far in the first half, there were long stretches of time where they were acting bored of the game and talking non basketball (sage brush and other crap) WHILE there was a heated offensive foul called on Trier and they couldn’t be bothered talking about it and replaying it.

Other times, he was incoherent, grasping for words just to hear himself talk, or taking a contrarian position to Dave just for the heck of it. I found myself distracted by them in a close, big time Conference Game vs a rival, and really pissed off that they weren’t calling the game but nattering away like a couple of old ladies.

Tell me I’m wrong and I’ll send you a link to watch.....HORRIBLE.

A new low for Pasch....So wish he would just keep saying ‘Focus on the game Bill’ and not let him drag him off on stupid, uninteresting, and even more importantly, NOT FRICKING RELATED to the game we are watching!!!!!!!

Bill needs to just retire or STFU. It’s incredibly intolerable and Pasch is really guilty now of enabling him now. I’ve lost a lot of respect for Pasch....smh.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Bill Walton is a national treasure. I hope he does every game every week.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:Bill Walton is a national treasure.
Yeah, he’s like a bad Nicolas Cage movie.
MrMeow

Re: Best/Worst analysts/commentators/announcer

Post by MrMeow »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Didn’t get to see the Oregon until now (thanks YouTube ;-) ).....Anyways, Good God, Walton is getting worse and dragging Dave Pasch down further.....so far in the first half, there were long stretches of time where they were acting bored of the game and talking non basketball (sage brush and other crap) WHILE there was a heated offensive foul called on Trier and they couldn’t be bothered talking about it and replaying it.

Other times, he was incoherent, grasping for words just to hear himself talk, or taking a contrarian position to Dave just for the heck of it. I found myself distracted by them in a close, big time Conference Game vs a rival, and really pissed off that they weren’t calling the game but nattering away like a couple of old ladies.

Tell me I’m wrong and I’ll send you a link to watch.....HORRIBLE.

A new low for Pasch....So wish he would just keep saying ‘Focus on the game Bill’ and not let him drag him off on stupid, uninteresting, and even more importantly, NOT FRICKING RELATED to the game we are watching!!!!!!!

Bill needs to just retire or STFU. It’s incredibly intolerable and Pasch is really guilty now of enabling him now. I’ve lost a lot of respect for Pasch....smh.
Totally agree. Walton is an annoying distraction. Needs to be sent to his teepee permanently.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Walton is not really the problem. It’s when Pasch is involved.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

I watched the Eagles vs. Falcons game Saturday to see how Nick would do (he did good). I wish there were a college basketball commentator on the same level as Cris Collinsworth. That guy knows his shit, and presents it in a compelling, audience friendly way.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

MrMeow wrote:I watched the Eagles vs. Falcons game Saturday to see how Nick would do (he did good). I wish there were a college basketball commentator on the same level as Cris Collinsworth. That guy knows his shit, and presents it in a compelling, audience friendly way.
Joel Klatt
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I find watching a game called by Romo is like watching with a buddy who coaches as some level HS or higher. He is very casual but super informative. Very easy to listen to.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UALoco wrote:I find watching a game called by Romo is like watching with a buddy who coaches as some level HS or higher. He is very casual but super informative. Very easy to listen to.
The predicting plays things gets old sometimes with Romo. Some of the better color guys aren't always information driven, but more from the John Madden school of "boom."

When Steve Kerr was doing commentary, he was good. The better guys for me are the ones you don't really remember. This was the worst call in recent memory:

https://youtu.be/LhK0CO647PY" target="_blank
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UALoco wrote:I find watching a game called by Romo is like watching with a buddy who coaches as some level HS or higher. He is very casual but super informative. Very easy to listen to.
The predicting plays things gets old sometimes with Romo. Some of the better color guys aren't always information driven, but more from the John Madden school of "boom."

When Steve Kerr was doing commentary, he was good. The better guys for me are the ones you don't really remember. This was the worst call in recent memory:

https://youtu.be/LhK0CO647PY" target="_blank
that was hilarious, I didn't watch that much of the game but I heard his voice crack 3x lol
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

best non-cbb commentators imo:

Collinsworth, JVG, Mike Breen is solid, Romo is solid, some of the local NBA guys are good like Eddie Johnson for the Suns, I think it is the Bulls ones that always say silly stuff when big plays happen (something like 'he just dipped him in fondue') whoever those guys are good, Stu Lantz for the Lakers, Kevin Harlan, Ian Eagle
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Utah game on FOX. Gus Johnson time
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I don't mind Bill Walton going on a tangent now and then but the USC game was too much. At least try to make some valuable commentary from time to time. He just went way overboard beyond his usual self. It appeared to me he only wants to be a side show. There were long stretches he didn't pay attention to the game at all. His shtick is losing its luster. He needs to tone it down.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I don’t think it’s shtick, it’s just who he is.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Catintheheat wrote:I don't mind Bill Walton going on a tangent now and then but the USC game was too much. At least try to make some valuable commentary from time to time. He just went way overboard beyond his usual self. It appeared to me he only wants to be a side show. There were long stretches he didn't pay attention to the game at all. His shtick is losing its luster. He needs to tone it down.
I will preface this by saying I didn't watch the game yet. First game I missed this year.

But.

1 Bill is a national treasure and makes the games so fun
2 He is building his brand and ESPN loves it. Love him or hate him you talk about him
3 Having met him a few times including one 5 minute conversation with him, he is just being himself
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

It's fine!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PHXCATS wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:I don't mind Bill Walton going on a tangent now and then but the USC game was too much. At least try to make some valuable commentary from time to time. He just went way overboard beyond his usual self. It appeared to me he only wants to be a side show. There were long stretches he didn't pay attention to the game at all. His shtick is losing its luster. He needs to tone it down.
I will preface this by saying I didn't watch the game yet. First game I missed this year.

But.

2 He is building his brand and ESPN loves it. Love him or hate him you talk about him
3 Having met him a few times including one 5 minute conversation with him, he is just being himself
I agree with all of this.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

PHXCATS wrote:

But.

Do you want a brand or an analyst? Does commenting on basketball matter anymore, or just ratings? I realize Bill is who he is, but he does have a shtick too. He brings in a hat, blue corn, and a sticker at the start of the second half. He proceeds to try and peel the sticker without paying attention to the game at all. He has no insight into the game at all. And everything he says is outlandish. I don't mind him going on tangents at times, but at least try and follow the game a little. I am surprised how Dave Pasch can put up with him at times. I also don't like how ESPN puts on a split screen so we can pay attention to the sideshow. I don't mind Walton going off at times, but it needs to be secondary to the game, not the main attraction. BTW he is great when it is a blowout. I'd trade Walton for Bilas (or Raftery) any day.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^ Agree. Walton makes blowouts entertaining, but you would think being a player under so many great coaches he would have a better insight.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Catintheheat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

But.

Do you want a brand or an analyst? Does commenting on basketball matter anymore, or just ratings? I realize Bill is who he is, but he does have a shtick too. He brings in a hat, blue corn, and a sticker at the start of the second half. He proceeds to try and peel the sticker without paying attention to the game at all. He has no insight into the game at all. And everything he says is outlandish. I don't mind him going on tangents at times, but at least try and follow the game a little. I am surprised how Dave Pasch can put up with him at times. I also don't like how ESPN puts on a split screen so we can pay attention to the sideshow. I don't mind Walton going off at times, but it needs to be secondary to the game, not the main attraction. BTW he is great when it is a blowout. I'd trade Walton for Bilas (or Raftery) any day.
For ESPN they want ratings. You can tell ESPN just tells him to be himself. On PAC12 Network he is toned down a bit.

For me I just want to be entertained and Bill brings that the best. Gus with Bill would be my dream come true.

Can't stand Bilas anymore with how much he attacks the NCAA about making money and paying players. Raftery is the 2nd best color commentator in college basketball without a doubt.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:Bill is a national treasure
Doesn’t take much to qualify for that honor I guess.
PHXCATS wrote:and makes the games so fun
If you say so chief.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

The only TV guy I mute these days is Dick Vitale. I don't mind BW highlighting cool things about UA and the Tucson area. The Center for Biological Diversity and the UA tech park deserve some love. He does the same for every Pac-12 school.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

People who still enjoy Walton just have to try to understand that many people are tired of him.

People who don't still enjoy Walton just have to try to understand that many people don't tire of him.

This is just where we are.

But ESPN needs to recognize that neither demographic wants the split-screen during live game action.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

People who love Walton also need to understand that your "national treasure" is also unreachably high on painkillers from all of his back and knee problems.

Hey, enjoy all of the tangential, burned-out hippie commentary you find so "entertaining." If you care about the real Bill Walton, he is nowhere to be found on this planet.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Bill is just flat out annoying. He seems like fun but I don't want him calling games. I mean for such a woo ra Pac 12 guy, he didn't even know Tony Bennett coached at WSU. Assuming he was being serious that's just embarrassing. Also his knowledge outside the conference is embarrassing as well. Just STFU already.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Honest question: If Bill Walton had full blown Alzheimer’s, how would we even know?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote:Honest question: If Bill Walton had full blown Alzheimer’s, how would we even know?
Good joke line - dishonest question...

As if - https://www.alz.org/10-signs-symptoms-a ... mentia.asp
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

No disrespect intended to folks of faith, but pairing Walton with an evangelical like Pasch is the fulcrum that leverages Bill's flights of bullshit. Pasch bears this with admirable restraint. They bring out the worst in each other but mostly it's Bill who overcompensates. It's made worse by the studio producers who should be flogged for abandoning replays and real-time court footage for shots of Bill's antics. When play is underway and I have to watch Bill anointing Pasch with a bundle of sage it just pisses me off. Don't bother with a replay of that fifth foul guys, show us that jar of air from a Dead show 30 years ago.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

catgrad97 wrote:People who love Walton also need to understand that your "national treasure" is also unreachably high on painkillers from all of his back and knee problems.

Hey, enjoy all of the tangential, burned-out hippie commentary you find so "entertaining." If you care about the real Bill Walton, he is nowhere to be found on this planet.
That is not true. Also, you would have no way of knowing
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote:
Chicat wrote:Honest question: If Bill Walton had full blown Alzheimer’s, how would we even know?
“It’s Dave, right?”
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
“It’s Dave, right?”
:lol:
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote:No disrespect intended to folks of faith, but pairing Walton with an evangelical like Pasch is the fulcrum that leverages Bill's flights of bullshit. Pasch bears this with admirable restraint. They bring out the worst in each other but mostly it's Bill who overcompensates. It's made worse by the studio producers who should be flogged for abandoning replays and real-time court footage for shots of Bill's antics. When play is underway and I have to watch Bill anointing Pasch with a bundle of sage it just pisses me off. Don't bother with a replay of that fifth foul guys, show us that jar of air from a Dead show 30 years ago.
How do you know Pasch's religious background? Am I the only one who doesn't know this?

Okay, got it:

https://deadspin.com/espns-dave-pasch-o ... 1679866092" target="_blank

I guess I hadn't taken that at face value.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:No disrespect intended to folks of faith, but pairing Walton with an evangelical like Pasch is the fulcrum that leverages Bill's flights of bullshit. Pasch bears this with admirable restraint. They bring out the worst in each other but mostly it's Bill who overcompensates. It's made worse by the studio producers who should be flogged for abandoning replays and real-time court footage for shots of Bill's antics. When play is underway and I have to watch Bill anointing Pasch with a bundle of sage it just pisses me off. Don't bother with a replay of that fifth foul guys, show us that jar of air from a Dead show 30 years ago.
How do you know Pasch's religious background? Am I the only one who doesn't know this?

Okay, got it:

I know you said you weren't watching the game last night, but I thought it was a bit of a dig at his beliefs when he said to Pasch "You're not into diversity are you?"
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Okay, got it:

I know you said you weren't watching the game last night, but I thought it was a bit of a dig at his beliefs when he said to Pasch "You're not into diversity are you?"
It's anyone's right to disbelieve evolution and deep time as a fundamental condition of the universe. I disagree with that disbelief and I've dropped a lotta dollar on solar panels but that doesn't mean I cherish Walton using Pasch's belief as a springboard into his "why do you hate my grandchildren" routine.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Okay, got it:

I get it now. By the way, most things I write on this board are intended solely for the consumption of the basketball gods. If they hear I'm not watching, maybe they won't bother to punish me.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Who could hate Big Bill? He watches most of our games and always praises the program. Yes, he can be distracting and obnoxious, but did his commentary make the UCLA loss any worse? I thought he was mostly entertaining last night. Pasch is used to handling play-by-play himself. It's fine.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: most things I write on this board are intended solely for the consumption of the basketball gods. If they hear I'm not watching, maybe they won't bother to punish me.
Repent!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Bill Walton is not the problem, it's the counterpart. Bill is fine with Roxy or others, not nearly the schtick that the sideshow Pasch has become.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Longhorned wrote:

Okay, got it:

IMNSHO, the jury's still out on evolution - I'm waiting to see how the Cats' defense looks come the NCAA's.... :ugeek:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pc in NM wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Okay, got it:

IMNSHO, the jury's still out on evolution - I'm waiting to see how the Cats' defense looks come the NCAA's.... :ugeek:
Maybe evolution takes 1 step forward, 15 steps back, 18 steps forward....
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

1,000 times this. I had the UCLA game on low with jazz playing in the background - can't take their inevitable bickering and the sideshow that Bill/ESPN bring.