UA Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Jefe

Re: UA Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion

Post by Jefe »

3goggles wrote:
Jefe wrote:
3goggles wrote:Does anybody know if there will be a meet the team this year?
Not sure, but I saw this on fb this morning. Not sure what the event was:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... =2&theater
The video is unavailable. What was it about?
It was a banquet in RJ Friday night, the whole team was walking in in dress clothes. My buddy and his wife were there

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Turns out it was a Chalk Talk with Amy Miller at the Richard Jefferson Gym for the Ronald McDonald House.

http://www.tucsonlifestyle.com/events/2 ... lk-finale/
Date: September 26, 2014
Time: 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm
1 National Championship Drive UA Campus
Tucson, AZ 85712
Phone: 520.326.0060Email: arounds@rmhctucson.org

The Ronald McDonald House is hosting an event, along with Amy and Sean Miller, called Chalk Talk Finale. We’ve hosted this event for the past 4 years specifically for women only and have now opened it up to Men! It is a unique “behind the scenes” look at the UA Men's Basketball program that is interactive, lively and entertaining.

It feature an overview of the program w/ Head Coach Sean Miller, an interactive session with Past Players, a Q & A with an NCAA Official and many Special Guest Appearances. There will be a reception, buffet, entertainment and a live and silent auction.

Price : $300.00
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-relea ... -coverage/
ESPNU Midnight Madness Features Six Programs; ESPN3 Carries Seven Schools’ Midnight Madness Activities

ESPN will tip off the 2014-15 college basketball season with Midnight Madness coverage from 11 campuses, including seven men’s programs in ESPN.com’s early top 25, on Friday, Oct. 17. ESPNU Midnight Madness (6 p.m. ET) will combine studio and remote coverage to bring fans a three-hour start of the season celebration which involves six schools, including the 2014 NCAA Men’s and Women’s Division I National Champion UConn Huskies. The ESPNU special will also involve five more teams from the 2014 NCAA Men’s Division I Basketball Championship: Arizona, Florida, Gonzaga, Kentucky, and San Diego State. This is the ninth year ESPNU Midnight Madness has provided coverage of the annual college basketball tradition.

ESPN3 will also provide Midnight Madness coverage on Friday, Oct. 17, carrying six college basketball programs’ Midnight Madness celebrations in their entirety. In addition to UConn’s “First Night” at 7 p.m., ESPN3 will have Harvard’s “Crimson Madness” (6 p.m.), Mercer’s “Mercer Madness” (6:10 p.m.), Kentucky’s “Big Blue Madness” (7 p.m.), NC State’s “Throwback with the Pack” (8 p.m.) and Florida Gulf Coast’s “Dunk City after Dark” (9 p.m.). A week prior, ESPN3 will also carry Kansas’ “Late Night in the Phog” on Friday, Oct. 10, at 7:30 p.m.
SEC Network’s SEC Now (9 p.m.) will show portions of Kentucky’s “Big Blue Madness”. ESPNU Midnight Madness will re-air at midnight on Friday, Oct. 17, and all of ESPN3’s content is available on-demand.
Additional schools Midnight Madness programs may be added at a later date

ESPNU Midnight Madness Highlights:

Studio Coverage: Andy Katz, host of Katz Korner, will anchor studio coverage along with college basketball analysts Seth Greenberg and Jay Williams. The studio team will preview the 2014-15 season and interview various head coaches throughout the telecast.
Head Coach Perspective: Katz, Greenberg and Williams will be joined in-studio by Villanova head coach Jay Wright, who has led the Wildcats to the NCAA tournament in nine of the last 10 seasons.

All-Access: ESPN commentators and analysts will be on-location, providing viewers a first-hand insight into the various Midnight Madness activities:

Arizona: Miles Simon (analyst), won the 1997 National Championship at Arizona and was named the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player

Kentucky: Sean Farnham, former UCLA basketball player, Kara Lawson, former Tennessee standout, WNBA Champion and 2008 Olympic gold medalist (analysts), along with Dave O’Brien (host)

UConn: Rebecca Lobo, won the 1995 National Championship at UConn, 1996 Olympic gold medalist and was a standout player in the WNBA, Tim Welsh, earned more than 200 wins as a head coach (analysts) along with Kevin Connors (host) and Jeff Goodman (reporter)

Florida, Gonzaga and San Diego State: Coach Donovan (Florida), Coach Few (Gonzaga) and Coach Fisher (San Diego State) will be wired for sound

Social Media: Fans can join the conversation throughout the night by tagging tweets with #MidnightMadness.

Programming Details: ESPNU’s Midnight Madness (October 17 at 6 p.m. ET)
Location Commentators

ESPNU’s Studio Coverage Andy Katz (Host), Seth Greenberg & Jay Williams (analysts), Villanova head coach Jay Wright (guest)
Arizona - Miles Simon (analyst)
Kentucky - Dave O’Brien (host), Sean Farnham & Kara Lawson (analysts)
UConn - Kevin Connors (host), Rebecca Lobo & Tim Welsh (analysts), Jeff Goodman (reporter)
Florida, Gonzaga, San Diego State - Coach Donovan, Few and Fisher will be wired for sound to brings fans unique perspective
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I can't remember the last time Red/Blue had this much coverage. Pac 12 airing the whole thing and now ESPN sending Miles to cover us.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Should be noted it will be tape delayed on the PAC 12 network.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

So nobody tell me if we won. Want to watch it first.
Right where I want to be.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

UA sets basketball ticket sales dates

3 hours ago • By Bruce Pascoe

Arizona's Red-Blue Game sold out in 90 minutes but it should be easier to get tickets for some full Wildcat games.

The Wildcats' Nov. 9 exhibition with Cal Poly Pomona is not on the season-ticket package and thus should have plenty of extra tickets, even though attendance will be capped at about 10,000 because of ongoing McKale Center renovations.

UA will put remaining tickets on sale for the exhibition game and its nonconference games on Oct. 11, when it will also sell a "mini-plan" of tickets to nine home games starting at $245. The mini-plan games are Mt. St. Mary’s, Cal State Northridge, Gardner-Webb, Oakland, Arizona State, Colorado, Oregon, UCLA and California. (UA's full schedule is here).

Tickets for other Pac-12 games won't go on sale until Nov. 29, and if they sell out, though there are sometimes returned tickets that become available in the days before each game.

Meanwhile, those who want to gamble on buying NCAA tournament tickets to see UA might also want to jump in on Oct. 18, when the NCAA will open ticket sales for its preliminary and regional games.

If UA asserts itself as the top Pac-12 team as expected, the Wildcats will likely be playing in either Portland or Seattle on the first weekend and in Los Angeles for the second weekend if they win two early games.

Tough to tell whether UA would go to either Portland or Seattle in that situation, but two very small factors that could lean toward a Portland pick might be that Gonzaga would be a natural fit in Seattle if it earns a preferential seed (1-4) and that Portland is about 100 miles closer to Tucson by air.

Jeff Goodman puts UA atop his list of projected starting lineups.

Dick Vitale ranks Arizona sixth, which is the lowest ranking of the Wildcats yet that I've seen.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/u ... e78e4.html
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Duke vital is an idiot just saying!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The only reason why Dickie V has us sixth is that he's got Duke in the top five spots.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

I do not understand the argument for Kansas as being top 5.

They lost basically their only 2 weapons and they don't have a point guard. What is this shit?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

luteformayor2 wrote:I do not understand the argument for Kansas as being top 5.

They lost basically their only 2 weapons and they don't have a point guard. What is this shit?
It makes the lulz when they eventually shit the bed all the sweeter?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Zeus on the far right if its cut off on your screen:

Where to get the posters:

Jim Click Hall of Champions – 1 National Championship Drive
Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturdays, 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Closed on Sundays
(Available on Monday, Sept. 29 at 1 p.m.)

McKale Ticket Office – 1 National Championship Dr.
Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Saturday and Sunday
(Available on Monday, Sept. 29 at 1 p.m.)

University of Arizona Bookstores and A-Stores
Click HERE for complete listing of stores, addresses and store hours
(Available on Tuesday, Sept. 30)

Phoenix – Bear Down Building – 714 E. Van Buren St.
Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Saturday and Sunday
(Available on Wednesday, Oct. 1)

Or buy 3 for $15 online: http://ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerc ... =&appCode=
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Goodman Mock Draft
8. Utah Jazz
Stanley Johnson | 6-7, 237 | SF | Fr. | Arizona
Johnson is a power wing, someone who can get to the rim and finish through contact. Utah doesn't have anyone like Johnson. His perimeter shot still needs work, but it's improved significantly over the last year or so. Johnson also possesses toughness, leadership qualities and has shown a desire to defend.
16. Brooklyn Nets
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson | 6-7, 205 | SF |Soph. | Arizona
His shooting still needs work, but NBA guys love his toughness, athleticism and his ability to rebound and defend. RHJ could have a breakthrough season with the departure of Aaron Gordon, and could be a good fit with the Nets as the team needs some young, athletic legs.
20. Memphis Grizzlies
Brandon Ashley | 6-8, 230 | PF | Jr. | Arizona
He's a hybrid forward who made significant strides last season before going down with a season-ending injury. Ashley is active, can step out and make shots from mid-range and also has improved on the defensive end. He will also have three years of college experience under his belt, and could help Memphis immediately.
http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2015/story/ ... k-draft-10

Has the Suns selecting WCS and Justise Winslow
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I ordered a tube of the team posters the other day. Pretty cool they make them avaialble to out-of-state fans like that.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Main Event wrote:

Thanks for the info. Coach looked happy, ready to roll.

Some things mentioned

http://live.azstarnet.com/Event/Live_bl ... _Media_Day
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

All smiles and said how excited he was to coach this years team. How amazing would it be for football and basketball to have special seasons this year?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Damn I completely forgot about that. I click play and it just shows the logo over and over. Full replay somewhere?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

gumby

Post by gumby »

YorkCity working hard.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Wasn't York supposed to transfer by now?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

thenewazcats wrote:Wasn't York supposed to transfer by now?
Yeah, he's really making a lot of us (myself included) look silly by thinking he wouldn't last. Glad it's one of those cases where you like being wrong. Really excited to see how he's developed.

After watching that video, I see why Miller is excited about this season. Everyone is focused and willing to make whatever sacrifice necessary to get to Indianapolis. It's amazing how we have back to back lottery freshman who are willing to sacrifice personal glory to win.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

I'm guessing that Gabe York will hit some big game shots this season.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I think we're gonna like SJ.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Cats trying to figure out pieces

15 hours ago • By Bruce Pascoe

Freshman forward Craig Victor will experience his first full Arizona Wildcats practice today, and he’s already got a pretty good grip on what that means.

“You have to bring it every day. Every day,” Victor said. “All across the board there’s talent. … I can’t tell you anybody who’s taken a day off, and if they did, it would be noticeable.”

That was during the limited workouts UA had over the past three months. Now, if anyone takes a day off over the next six weeks — when Arizona will cram in 30 practices, scrimmages and exhibitions before its Nov. 14 season opener — that could mean sitting on the end of a really crowded bench.

“One of the things you find out once you start up for real is who can really answer the bell every day, and who’s moody,” UA coach Sean Miller said. “Who’s that guy who’s good for about five days in a row and then on day six, he walks in as if he doesn’t want to be there?

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... a76f2.html
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Alieberman wrote: I think we're gonna like SJ.

Miller on SJ

2. How will Stanley Johnson fit in?

— Johnson brings what Miller says is a different approach.

“Stanley’s an equally-great competitor,” Miller said. “But he doesn’t take a backseat maybe as easy as Aaron did at times, which made Aaron, as a teammate, somebody you embrace because he’s willing to do the dirty work all the time.

“Stanley plays a different style and he has a different way of going about it. But from the intangibles of winning and knowing how to play the game both grade out very well in that area.”

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... a76f2.html
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I'd argue that too often, at least on the court, AG took a backseat too often at times. I don't think SJ needs to take a backseat on this years team, to anyone...at least on the court.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

I got yo back!
Arizona won the Pac-12 regular-season title in 2013-14 and Sean Miller's Wildcats are the unanimous choice from the coaches to repeat.

However, you may be surprised by which program is picked to finish second by the coaches in the league.

Beyond the Wildcats at No. 1, how will the rest of the league shape up? We polled a number of coaches in the Pac-12 to get their take on the conference this season.

Pac-12 preseason coaches poll

Total votes next to teams; number of first-place votes in parentheses

1. Arizona Wildcats - 384 (32)

2. Utah Utes - 316

T-3. UCLA Bruins - 312

T-3. Colorado Buffaloes - 312

5. Stanford Cardinal - 250

6. Washington Huskies - 200

7. Oregon Ducks - 196

8. California Golden Bears- 182

9. Arizona State Sun Devils - 146

10. USC Trojans - 120

11. Washington State Cougars - 62

12. Oregon State Beavers - 36

In addition to casting their votes on the league order, a number of Pac-12 coaches weighed in on key topics heading into the season, including player of the year, surprise team and more. Here's a roundup of their thoughts:

On the league: "It's Arizona and everyone else -- and it's not easy to try and figure out who will be at the top of the 'everyone else.' I'd give the nod to Utah with Delon Wright. Larry Krystkowiak has done a tremendous job rebuilding the program."

On Arizona: "They are loaded. Again. There aren't many programs in the country that can lose a lottery pick (Aaron Gordon) and perhaps their best player (Nick Johnson) and potentially be better. Brandon Ashley is back and they added a stud in Stanley Johnson. I'd be shocked if they don't cruise to the league title."

On the mystery team: "UCLA. No one really knows what to expect out of the Bruins this season. They lost so much from a year ago with Kyle Anderson, Jordan Adams and Zach LaVine all leaving early. I just don't buy the backcourt as high-level enough, and the big men are all young. But it's still UCLA."

Who will win player of the year: "I'm going with Utah's Delon Wright. I think he'll carry the Utes and do so much for that team. He can score, pass and defend. If he can ever get his outside shot fixed, he'll be unstoppable."

On the surprise team: "USC. I'm not sure they are ready to move into contention for one of the top four or five spots yet, but they add a talented transfer with Katin Reinhardt and also bring in a couple of really good freshmen. They can certainly finish in the middle of the pack."

Feeling sorry for: "New Oregon State coach Wayne Tinkle. He inherited virtually nothing from Craig Robinson. Tinkle has done well in recruiting this past summer, but it's going to be a very long year this season."

Which coach is on the hot seat?: "[Oregon's] Dana Altman. It's been a mess up there for the entire offseason. He lost three of his best players due to the rape allegations, and now he has two more kids get in trouble for shoplifting. He's a good ball coach, but I just don't know how he gets it done this year."
Formerly McLurvin
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Also, here's the Arizona preview from ESPN Insider:

Arizona Wildcats

2013-14: 33-5 (15-3 Pac-12)
In-conference offense: 1.08 points per possession (third)
In-conference defense: 0.91 points allowed per possession (first)

During 2013-14, the Arizona Wildcats nailed everything but the finish. In Sean Miller's fifth season in Tucson, the Cats started the season 21-0 -- including wins in their first eight Pac-12 games -- to ascend to No. 1 in the rankings. And while Arizona wasn't quite as dominant after losing starting forward Brandon Ashley to a season-ending foot injury, the team still earned its first No. 1 seed in 11 years and the first by any Pac-12 team since UCLA in 2008.

Now, here's the scary proposition: Miller's crew might be even deeper this season.

After losing Pac-12 Player of the Year Nick Johnson and conference Freshman of the Year Aaron Gordon to the NBA, the Wildcats won't have quite as much elite talent. But with the rest of the rotation returning, supplemented by a class rated seventh in the nation by ESPN Recruiting Nation, they'll have options.

"We have a lot of competition for certain positions on our team," Miller said. "I think that's the best way I can say that."

Arizona's return to national power has been a few years coming. Since arriving from Xavier to replace the legendary Lute Olson, Miller has done an impressive job of recruiting. By his second season on the job, Miller landed a top 10 class in Recruiting Nation's rankings, something he's now done four years running -- with a potentially even better haul coming in 2015, having already secured commitments from three top 30 recruits.

Adding that level of talent on a constant basis sets up the Wildcats to contend perennially. Until last season, however, Arizona hadn't quite put everything together. Despite a Pac-12 regular-season title in 2010-11 and two deep NCAA tournament runs (once to the Sweet 16, once to the Elite Eight), Miller's team had never secured a top-four seed in the tournament until last season.

The difference was defense. While Arizona had finished in the top 10 offensively twice in Miller's first four seasons, the team's best finish in defensive efficiency was 41st. That changed in a big way in 2013-14, as the Wildcats posted the nation's lowest adjusted defensive efficiency, per KenPom.com, and led the way in effective field goal percentage allowed (42.3). An enormous front line of Ashley, Gordon and 7-footer Kaleb Tarczewski made the paint a no-fly zone for opponents, who have always had difficulty finding good 3-point looks against Miller's pack-line defense.

The defense remained strong after Ashley was lost for the season. The Wildcats still entered the NCAA tournament 30-4 and as the No. 1 seed in the Anaheim bracket. They dominated Gonzaga to reach the Sweet 16 and outlasted San Diego State to make their second regional final in four years. There, Arizona experienced heartbreak. Down 64-63 in the closing stages of overtime, the Wildcats had multiple chances to win, but Johnson was called for a borderline offensive foul and could not get a potential winning shot off before the buzzer.

Again, Miller was denied his first trip to the Final Four. But he'll have another good chance this season. Arizona brings in five newcomers, essentially one at each position, and all will compete for playing time right away. The star is Stanley Johnson, whom Miller compares to Gordon in terms of his combination of ability and maturity.

"Similar to what Aaron Gordon brought to the table talent-wise, we're counting on that, but we're also counting on Stanley to bring some of those intangibles," Miller said. "In Aaron, not only did you get a great talent but you also got someone who was like a senior. I think Stanley shares some of those qualities."

Arizona also adds to the backcourt point guard Parker Jackson-Cartwright, whom Miller calls the heir apparent at the position, and national junior college player of the year Kadeem Allen. Up front, undersized power forward Craig Victor and Serbian center Dusan Ristic add depth that has been missing in past seasons.

For all of the Wildcats' success, they've relied heavily on their starting fives. Last season, it was really a top six after Ashley's injury. Besides the starters and sixth man Hollis-Jefferson, two other players saw a total of 12 minutes in the loss to Wisconsin. The newcomers figure to help Miller go deeper into his bench.

Arizona returns three upperclassmen as starters, including point guard T.J. McConnell. That's notable because it's the first time in Miller's six years at the school he's had a point guard start multiple seasons. (Miller did inherit experienced senior Nic Wise when he arrived in Tucson.) McConnell, a pass-first point guard who boasted the best assist rate of any returning Pac-12 player last season, is an ideal fit given all the talent around him. Now, Miller wants him to step forward as a leader.

"I think that's the one thing that we are looking for from T.J.," Miller said. "Nick Johnson was our unquestioned leader a year ago. It's not that T.J. has to be Nick, but he has to help absorb the loss of leadership when Nick walked out the door."

Up front, Ashley should be back to full strength by the start of the season. A conservative rehab process was expected to get him back to five-on-five action by September, seven months after foot surgery. Ashley added a 3-point dimension during his abbreviated sophomore season, making 11 triples in 22 games, and could provide some needed floor spacing. Tarczewski made huge strides as a sophomore, improving his 2-point percentage from 54 to 58 percent and his free throw percentage from 63 to 76 percent. He figures to be one of the conference's premier centers.

The other two starting jobs will likely go to Johnson and Hollis-Jefferson, a potential breakout candidate in his second (and probably final) campaign in Tucson. After making just two 3-pointers as a freshman, Hollis-Jefferson -- already valuable because of his defense and rebounding from the wing -- has "worked his butt off," in Miller's words, remaking his shot over the summer. While they're likely to start at both wing positions, giving the Wildcats tremendous size at the positions, Hollis-Jefferson and Johnson could also play both forward spots in smaller lineups with more shooting.

That shooting is most likely to come from junior Gabe York and sophomore Elliott Pitts, both off-guards. York, who started 12 games after Ashley's injury, made 57 3-pointers -- second only to Nick Johnson -- at a 38.5 percent clip. In more limited action, Pitts shot 39 percent beyond the arc.

The challenge of the depth is that Miller will have tougher decisions than usual when choosing a rotation, and he'll have to figure things out early. The Wildcats play a typically demanding nonconference schedule, including competing in the Maui Invitational, visits by Gonzaga and Michigan and road games at UTEP and UNLV. Surely, Arizona will have enough talent to navigate those tests.

Without the individual talent of Gordon and Nick Johnson, the Wildcats might not be quite as good as last season's incarnation, at least before Ashley's injury. Still, they'll start the season in the top five and are even favorites to win the NCAA tournament in some quarters. We'll see whether depth can take Arizona to heights the Wildcats have yet to reach under Miller.

Projected 2014-15 conference finish: First
Formerly McLurvin
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thanks TBL!!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

No offense to anyone actually paying for insider on ESPN, but what they offer does not seem worth the price.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:No offense to anyone actually paying for insider on ESPN, but what they offer does not seem worth the price.
It's probably worth the price if you're a casual fan trying to become less casual.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Not trying to attack anyone that gets info off there, it's just all of Goodman's tweets reference some "insider" information, which I usually get an email from a friend that shows it's basically no information at all.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:No offense to anyone actually paying for insider on ESPN, but what they offer does not seem worth the price.
It's probably worth the price if you're a casual fan trying to become less casual.
Or it comes with your $10/year ESPN The Magazine subscription.
Formerly McLurvin
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

"Tinkle" is an unfortunate last name, though gold for opposing student sections.

Go Cats!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Gary Parrish has RHJ first team AA, and Stanley on 3rd team.

Also has some interesting choices...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... ball-teams
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:Gary Parrish has RHJ first team AA, and Stanley on 3rd team.

The most interesting choice is the continued use of that picture of him with the greasiest forehead in the history of sports media.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Catstatic wrote:"Tinkle" is an unfortunate last name, though gold for opposing student sections.

Go Cats!!
When the article said:
Feeling sorry for: "New Oregon State coach Wayne Tinkle.
I thought they were referring to his name for a split second.

3rd team? I'd be very surprised if he ended up being that low. But then I'd also be very surprised if only two cats were AA.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:

The most interesting choice is the continued use of that picture of him with the greasiest forehead in the history of sports media.

Upon reading the above....somewhere in America...Gre-double-G Doyle sheds a solitary tear...
az91

Post by az91 »

Didn't 97cats think York was a recruiting mistake?
gumby

Post by gumby »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/c ... /16839645/

Another article on roles and chemistry. My formula: Play like crazy on defense, and figure out offense as the season rolls on. Don't care if we're shut out of individual honors. Just win, baby.

Must be hard to stay within that team concept, when they are so many high level recruits. Then there are threads on places like this that break out each player and analyze them to death. Some fans seem more invested in their NBA potential than their college careers.

Just win, baby. Best metric ever.

OK, on to this year's Freshman Focus! Can't start too soon! :?
Last edited by gumby on Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/c ... /16839645/

Another article on roles and chemistry. My formula: Play like crazy on defense, and figure out offense as the season rolls on. Don't care if we're shut out of individual honors. Just win, baby.

Must be hard to stay within that team concept, when they are so many high level recruits. Then there are threads on places like this that break out each player and analyze them to death. Some fans seem more invested in their NBA potential than their college careers.

Just win, baby. Best metric ever.

OK, on to to this year's Freshman Focus! Can't start too soon! :?
I was looking forward to your Sophomore Spotlight.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

az91 wrote:

I had some questions about Gabe York early... he seemed to be a smaller shooting guard, and not really good on defense in his first year at Az. But hats off to the kid for having the guts to work very hard and endure the process of building a championship team.
GY seems like a kid willing to do what it takes to win, and that's very cool.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

JaKobe!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

HiCat wrote:
az91 wrote:

I had some questions about Gabe York early... he seemed to be a smaller shooting guard, and not really good on defense in his first year at Az. But hats off to the kid for having the guts to work very hard and endure the process of building a championship team.

I still have questions on York. I need to see more on the floor. It's nice being a spot up shooter, but the dude needs to hit the mid-range and take it to the rim w/o rejection.

I mean media praise and highlight mixtapes of summer league games are nice. On the court is what matters. I am still waiting for Kreal and Mohammad Tangara, and Kirk Walters, and Chris Rodgers, and the rest of the "gonna be great" players to arrive...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Olsondogg wrote:
HiCat wrote:
az91 wrote:

I still have questions on York. I need to see more on the floor. It's nice being a spot up shooter, but the dude needs to hit the mid-range and take it to the rim w/o rejection.

I mean media praise and highlight mixtapes of summer league games are nice. On the court is what matters. I am still waiting for Kreal and Mohammad Tangara, and Kirk Walters, and Chris Rodgers, and the rest of the "gonna be great" players to arrive...
York has not been a superstar by any stretch but he appears to have garnered more harsh criticism from UA boards, without (to my knowledge) anything to deserve said ridicule, than any player in the Miller era. He has a few die-hards who probably have bounced to far in the other direction in praising his game. It's odd; short of having been reported as a sh*tty teammate or lazy - which I have never heard - I just don't get it.

I was optimistic on York when reading Miller's very favorable comments and the award from the coaching staff. But since ODogg still has questions, I guess skepticism is warranted.