2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by ChooChooCat »

billk78 wrote:Unless they transfer due to lack of minutes you have to expect they will all be back. And I do expect to see improvement. Randolph and Akot have both shown flashes. Give them another season being coached up, working with trainer Justin, and practicing I think we see a big jump. Remember the huge jump D-Will took....granted he was pretty good as a freshmen. But across the league a lot of teams barely even play their freshmen. Kansas is one example of a team who gets a lot of top freshmen talent and don't give them many minutes. They usually blossom as sophs or juniors.

So yeah I guess it's bad for this year but possibly good for next...especially if we have no more top recruits coming. Realistically we are looking at:

Barcello/Brandon WIlliams
Dylan Smith/Randolph/Akot
Shareef
Ira Lee
Chase Jeter

Any chance at all Rawle comes back? As of now it really looks like the type of leap the current freshmen make will really determine what type of team we have next year.
Reef ain't playing the 3.

Rawle is gone. I did hear the possibility of somebody returning that I certainly didn't expect, but I doubt in the end that comes to fruition as I don't see the logic behind it at all.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Brandon Williams will start next year. He's a legit pg
billk78

Post by billk78 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
billk78 wrote:Unless they transfer due to lack of minutes you have to expect they will all be back. And I do expect to see improvement. Randolph and Akot have both shown flashes. Give them another season being coached up, working with trainer Justin, and practicing I think we see a big jump. Remember the huge jump D-Will took....granted he was pretty good as a freshmen. But across the league a lot of teams barely even play their freshmen. Kansas is one example of a team who gets a lot of top freshmen talent and don't give them many minutes. They usually blossom as sophs or juniors.

So yeah I guess it's bad for this year but possibly good for next...especially if we have no more top recruits coming. Realistically we are looking at:

Shareef
Ira Lee
Chase Jeter

Any chance at all Rawle comes back? As of now it really looks like the type of leap the current freshmen make will really determine what type of team we have next year.

Rawle is gone. I did hear the possibility of somebody returning that I certainly didn't expect, but I doubt in the end that comes to fruition as I don't see the logic behind it at all.
Reef playing the 4? So then I suppose we need Akot or Smith at 3? Or maybe someone else.
I suppose you heard trier would come back. I don't think there's any chance that happens.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Shareef
Ira Lee
Chase Jeter

Does that mean Ayton's possibly returning. I certainly wouldn't expect that.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Shareef
Ira Lee
Chase Jeter

Somebody unexpectedly returning where you don't see the logic behind it at all only happens in other programs.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Shareef
Ira Lee
Chase Jeter

Somebody unexpectedly returning where you don't see the logic behind it at all only happens in other programs.

And somebody unexpectedly leaving where you don't see the logic behind it all usually happens at Arizona.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Shareef
Ira Lee
Chase Jeter

Either Trier or Ayton ... you're right, no sense whatsoever.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yeah, none of these guys have ever even heard of Joakim Noah, much less are going to follow his example.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote: Somebody unexpectedly returning where you don't see the logic behind it at all only happens in other programs.
UAEebs86 wrote: And somebody unexpectedly leaving where you don't see the logic behind it all usually happens at Arizona.

Sure does feel like this doesn't it.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Shareef
Ira Lee
Chase Jeter

Ain't that the truth.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

billk78 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Shareef
Ira Lee
Chase Jeter

Reef playing the 4? So then I suppose we need Akot or Smith at 3? Or maybe someone else.
I suppose you heard trier would come back. I don't think there's any chance that happens.
Akot is a natural 3 who could play the 4. Reef is a natural 4 who probably wants to be a 3 lol.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Right now, Barcello seems like a Blav type guy.

Who is the kid who is red shirting because he got hurt?
Is he expected to make an impact?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote:Right now, Barcello seems like a Blav type guy.

Who is the kid who is red shirting because he got hurt?
Jeter is the only one redshirting and it's due to the fact he transferred so he has to sit out a year. He will be our starting center the next 2 seasons.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Postmaster wrote:Who is the kid who is red shirting because he got hurt?
Kory Jones - Sophomore walk-on.
No.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Would really think there will be times soon when we can game-play push Smith, Akot, Randolph, Barcello development; in that order. Smith seems like he's the surest bet given his terrific growth so far, and Akot would be a dream to give us a multiple position(3/4--possibly the 2) defender.

Add Deucer if he continues to play like against Stanford, a steady PJC, and the best player in college basketball and we're going to bust the FF.

Stanford play. Sensational game by Deuce. Zo so steady. PJC's two steals and score near the end!

Then my favorite play of the game, Rawle's perfect just-enough D on Picken's 3 attempt in the last second---sensational. Pickens elevated to his max and Rawle pushed up and in to the ultimate safe point reducing the risk of a score or a foul. A score would've tied a game without Ayton, and probably tied a game if Rawle'd fouled him. Pickens was already 2/5 for 3's and 4/5 in his free throws.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

EOCT wrote:Would really think there will be times soon when we can game-play push Smith, Akot, Randolph, Barcello development; in that order. Smith seems like he's the surest bet given his terrific growth so far, and Akot would be a dream to give us a multiple position(3/4--possibly the 2) defender.

Add Deucer if he continues to play like against Stanford, a steady PJC, and the best player in college basketball and we're going to bust the FF.

Stanford play. Sensational game by Deuce. Zo so steady. PJC's two steals and score near the end!

Then my favorite play of the game, Rawle's perfect just-enough D on Picken's 3 attempt in the last second---sensational. Pickens elevated to his max and Rawle pushed up and in to the ultimate safe point reducing the risk of a score or a foul. A score would've tied a game without Ayton, and probably tied a game if Rawle'd fouled him. Pickens was already 2/5 for 3's and 4/5 in his free throws.
I'm hopeful but they still don't pass the eye test for me. They go flat for too long of periods of time. Defense has definitely improved, but for stretches on offense they can be downright anemic, especially against zone. It does seem like they are learning a little bit more how to deal with Ayton getting triple teamed as soon as he touches the ball. It's still early, so there's still room for development. And I don't mean to be a pessimist. But as of right now they don't have the "look" of a final 4 team. That can always change very very quickly.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

With Ayton we always have a punchers chance. Surely someone will devise a way to get him touches (nearly) every play. Three head coaches on the bench and we go stretches without him getting the ball.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

billk78 wrote:
EOCT wrote:Would really think there will be times soon when we can game-play push Smith, Akot, Randolph, Barcello development; in that order. Smith seems like he's the surest bet given his terrific growth so far, and Akot would be a dream to give us a multiple position(3/4--possibly the 2) defender.

I'm hopeful but they still don't pass the eye test for me. They go flat for too long of periods of time. Defense has definitely improved, but for stretches on offense they can be downright anemic, especially against zone. It does seem like they are learning a little bit more how to deal with Ayton getting triple teamed as soon as he touches the ball. It's still early, so there's still room for development. And I don't mean to be a pessimist. But as of right now they don't have the "look" of a final 4 team. That can always change very very quickly.
Certainly consistency is the key issue. You put very well. We often mention it, but fail to admit that the consistently best teams always have some flat periods and that it's rare to see a team that plays absolutely hair on fire for an entire 40. Nevertheless, we should always coach for the 40----absolutely---and certainly Coach CSM does it.

I'm encouraged by what I've seen D-wise the last few games, and about the all-around progress of Ayton, Ristic, and Smith; and the potential of bringing an Akot type into the rotation. I'm also encouraged by our short recent spurts of very strong play on both sides of the ball, the kind of play that talks to our potential when we get to do or die time. This may wound silly, but I thought one of those spurts was in the Colorado game. The 10 or so minutes in the second half when we simply exploded into a dynamic O and D game, complete with a stealathon of what, 8 or 9 in the second half? We of course didn't win; my purpose in mentioning it is to demo what I believe these guys are capable of.

Just my two, and to say I'm stoked for these guys.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Can any give a cliff notes version on the last three weeks and what we’re look for out of our next two games?

So stoaked to be watching games again after a hiatus and interested to see if I’ll notice any major changes from late dec.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Can any give a cliff notes version on the last three weeks and what we’re look for out of our next two games?

So stoaked to be watching games again after a hiatus and interested to see if I’ll notice any major changes from late dec.
Consistency is the huge thing. We can look really good and build leads. Then we can go through stretches of turnovers, stangnant offense and poor D that undo those leads. We turn in about 20 good minutes a night.

The rotation isn't shortening, but getting more starter dominant. Starters are all 30-35 mins and reserves just get spot duty. If you haven't watched in a month, you missed about 2 total made baskets by Akot and Randolph. Barcello no longer exists.

Sometimes we start turning the ball over a ton. That is usually a great "bad period" indicator. Ayton can dominate, but other teams have figured that out and basically have 2-3 guys ram him at full speed on any catch. Approximately 38% of the time, a foul is called.

If you missed 3 weeks, Tad Boyle is a jerk and you should hate him. If this is surprising, you don't follow Tad Boyle. Good news, we have elite players and ASU sucks now!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

No love for the Boyle?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

DiehardDave37 wrote:With Ayton we always have a punchers chance. Surely someone will devise a way to get him touches (nearly) every play. Three head coaches on the bench and we go stretches without him getting the ball.
For the one zillionth time, it's not the coaching message. It's the players' execution. Miller alluded to that after the Stanford win. We hit a bunch of three's early in the game to go up double digits and suddenly everyone is in love with shooting 3's and not getting the ball inside. Next thing you know, we're taking bad shots from the perimeter and the ball isn't going to the post. In the second half the execution got much better with the concentrated effort to go inside.

The coaches know what needs to be done. It's getting the players to read the situation and execute properly. It feels risky forcing the ball into the post when the defense is sagging and it's not entirely clear the player in the post is going to be able to catch and score. But the whole point of going inside is to also get better looks from the outside. College players are still slow to grasp the concept. It's tempting to fire up an open three pointer early in the shot clock when defenders are sagging and looking to take away your post entry pass. But the more you can get the ball inside gets the defense out of position and rotating and that opens up passing lines for driving, opens up uncontested outside shots and also opens the door for offensive rebounds and second chance points.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks guys. Sounds like we might be beginning to gel. Looking forward to seeing if I can notice a big jump/differences.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

PAC12 Tournament Single Session Pre Sale:

https://www.axs.com/series/5169/pac-12- ... in=tmobile" target="_blank

Password: PAC12MB

Pretty much only the last row in each of the sections is on sale. Still some better seats if you buy a whole strip but I got session 5 and 6 tickets.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Thanks guys. Sounds like we might be beginning to gel. Looking forward to seeing if I can notice a big jump/differences.
We gel, make you believe, then have 5 minutes that makes you want to bang your head against the wall. That has been the frustrating trend of the last month. Enough potential to make the rough patches way less tolerable.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Thanks guys. Sounds like we might be beginning to gel. Looking forward to seeing if I can notice a big jump/differences.
We gel, make you believe, then have 5 minutes that makes you want to bang your head against the wall. That has been the frustrating trend of the last month. Enough potential to make the rough patches way less tolerable.
I got distracted this past week and ended up watching a lot of college basketball. I think you just described every team other than Purdue.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I got distracted this past week and ended up watching a lot of college basketball. I think you just described every team other than Purdue.
Yeah, which is one reason the naysayers about how we'll have an early exit...well, they're not convincing me.

There aren't many juggernauts, and when we're on, we can play with anyone. March is about who can be on at the right times.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

zonagrad wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:With Ayton we always have a punchers chance. Surely someone will devise a way to get him touches (nearly) every play. Three head coaches on the bench and we go stretches without him getting the ball.
For the one zillionth time, it's not the coaching message. It's the players' execution. Miller alluded to that after the Stanford win. We hit a bunch of three's early in the game to go up double digits and suddenly everyone is in love with shooting 3's and not getting the ball inside. Next thing you know, we're taking bad shots from the perimeter and the ball isn't going to the post. In the second half the execution got much better with the concentrated effort to go inside.

The coaches know what needs to be done. It's getting the players to read the situation and execute properly. It feels risky forcing the ball into the post when the defense is sagging and it's not entirely clear the player in the post is going to be able to catch and score. But the whole point of going inside is to also get better looks from the outside. College players are still slow to grasp the concept. It's tempting to fire up an open three pointer early in the shot clock when defenders are sagging and looking to take away your post entry pass. But the more you can get the ball inside gets the defense out of position and rotating and that opens up passing lines for driving, opens up uncontested outside shots and also opens the door for offensive rebounds and second chance points.
Also, if a defense sags so deep the 3 is uncontested, THAT is the shot. Even if you have Shaq underneath. Not much a big man can do against a fipple team.
Last edited by EVCat on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I feel like small lessons are being learned and executed each week...especially on defense. There is still information to solidify, but Colorado or no Colorado, I see this team improving game to game. We lost one...things didn't go well. But that happens...sometimes better teams lose on the road. Look at Lute or any of your favorite all time PAC coaches winning percentage on the road in the PAC. It ain't pretty.

We are progressing. We expected a juggernaut out of the gate, and instead got a half-experienced, half-raw group of kids with a few blowout scrimmages under their belt that had no idea how to play the defense at hand or to execute against pressure, or to shoot in a casino with a 10 foot 6 inch roof.

We have gotten better every week. The truth is, the added parts weren't, outside of Ayton, the power we expected...most notably Brandon Randolph. But there is time. We started the season as half a team...now we have a full team with no extra parts in case of emergency. We are getting there.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

There's no way this team makes it past the sweet 16. Which would be an all time disappointment. I dont know if I'll ever see a final 4 as an Arizona fan.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

scumdevils86 wrote:There's no way this team makes it past the sweet 16. Which would be an all time disappointment. I dont know if I'll ever see a final 4 as an Arizona fan.
If they get out of the first weekend I will be shocked
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Too much depression on this board. We can be better, but a 9 point win, a 17-4 record and being poised to move into the top ten and everyone is sad.

Akot is now our defensive finisher at the 4? It would be nice if he could round into form.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Frybry02 wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:There's no way this team makes it past the sweet 16. Which would be an all time disappointment. I dont know if I'll ever see a final 4 as an Arizona fan.
Well thankfully Sweet 16 is the second weekend
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Good chance we lose to the first well-coached mid-major we face (for the third year in a row). This team is fatally flawed and Miller is the Marvin Lewis of Tucson, but I'll be watching anyway.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I hate the weak ass whiners on this forum...

Here's what I saw tonite...

We were missing our toughest player but played tough...

Our once in a lifetime freshman phenom hit the proverbial freshman wall tonite...you could see it, he was grabbing his knees every chance he got, but he still hit 100% of his free throws...and played some pretty exceptional defense for a guy who is known as our main go to scorer...

Our weakest link (according to many many asshats here) hit a dagger contested three after missing his last many attempts at the three...

Our foreign slowpoke 7' showed some fancy footwork and dribbled up the court to score...

We all wanted a blow out game what we got instead was a steady cold as ice victory with some serious outliers to our typical game...

Get a fucking life.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Ayton was ill, by the way. I don't know how many of you have caught strep throat recently, but it's really something.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Unless this teams starts clicking, they won't see.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Frybry02 wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Unless this teams starts clicking, they won't see.
This team may very well have clicked tonight had they not been missing a key starter.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Too much depression on this board. We can be better, but a 9 point win, a 17-4 record and being poised to move into the top ten and everyone is sad.
Too much depression, true. But I yearn for more hunger in our players. These "average" Pac-12 opponents cause us protracted periods of disfunction, so who's at fault in that? Often the "average" conference player brings it in a way our pampered recruits don't. We have a blue-blood program and a demanding coach but if a player's standard for himself is not this-game-at-this-moment then his performance can often be outdone by "average" but hungry players.

Not to speak well of the devil, but every opponent has players with the fire of Rawle. We have only one.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Too much depression on this board. We can be better, but a 9 point win, a 17-4 record and being poised to move into the top ten and everyone is sad.
Too much depression, true. But I yearn for more hunger in our players. These "average" Pac-12 opponents cause us protracted periods of disfunction, so who's at fault in that? Often the "average" conference player brings it in a way our pampered recruits don't. We have a blue-blood program and a demanding coach but if a player's standard for himself is not this-game-at-this-moment then his performance can often be outdone by "average" but hungry players.

Not to speak well of the devil, but every opponent has players with the fire of Rawle. We have only one.
And yet we're 6-1 in conference, and nobody besides maybe Duke has a player as dominant as Ayton. This team's not amazing. But it will grind its way to a 16-2 finish in the PAC and a PAC12 Tournament win. Then, whatever happens in the tourney happens. Hopefully, Miller isn't outcoached like last year, and we'll have a greater than 50 percent chance against anyone we face.

For a year clouded by the FBI, clouded by the S16 shitshow last year, hell, even Wichita f*cking State 2 years ago... After all that drama, we're on our way to another conference title and a chance at a Final Four. The ride's never been smooth, so why are we pretending like this is new?
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Longhorned wrote:Ayton was ill, by the way. I don't know how many of you have caught strep throat recently, but it's really something.
you can tell, I was gonna say it in the gdt but seemed disrespectful if he wasn't lol
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I'm gonna go the other way with this. This team is flawed. But between Ayton, Trier and Alkins (if he's healthy by March) we can make a run. It's not always gonna be pretty. But we are grinding out wins. We are mentally tough to shoot such a high FT percentage like we have in two close games. That deserves some acknowledgement.

Colorado shot the ball pretty damn well tonight. And right when we were about the put the game way out of reach, one of their bench players hit the ugliest three that defied the laws of physics. We had a 12 point lead at the time and somehow that shot went down with the shot clock running out. That cut the lead to 9. After that, CU got their confidence and started hitting shots. Yes, our defense lapsed a few times. But Ayton's illness was clearly revealed on the defensive end. He was saving himself and finished strong.

Colorado played about as good as they're capable. They fouled Ayton every single time he touched the ball. Most times the refs called it. Our role players need to learn to stay active through the possession, even when Ayton or Ristic misses. There's opportunity there for offensive rebounds as everyone is focused on Ayton.

Still waiting on Randolph to break out of his funk. His confidence is shot.
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

Few thoughts at this point in the season...it's a little disturbing we still have crazy offensive droughts. Not like 2-4 minute droughts but 7-8 minute droughts against avg or below avg Ds. Droughts that will kill us in the tourney against well coached, fired up, but much less talented teams. We've all seen this before, but I thought with Ayton the droughts would be less brutal than in some past years - but they're still brutal. The D is lacking, especially help - this is something that could bite us also...Dusan will always be slow on rotations - he's a slow mofo, period, but he has to play heavy minutes. Compound that with Zo being a pretty bad defender and that he will always be lackadaisical and in general a quiet player - I think we'd all like to see him fire up a bit on the floor - fire up teammates, get in a guys face, anything - but that's just not who he is. The bench is weak as F. PJC = tiny. yada yada yada. Ha, but tbh, the only thing that truly worries me at this point is Ayton getting in foul trouble early in the tourney. 2 quick fouls against a solid team, yikes.

But we still find ourselves at 17-4, and taking away a few L's after that early F up...Without Rawle...and we're a top 5 team. We're all not satisfied but man if we all were passionate about any other top 15-20 team, and watched, heavily analyzing the problems any of those teams have...we would be saying the same thing with maybe diff weaknesses here and there. Get Rawle back completely 100, get the team to buy into D rotations and effort a little more, get Dylan, Randolph, and lee to become a little more consistent, get Ayton to identify and kick out of doubles quicker, push the speed a little more on O off turnovers/missed shots ( with a little better fast break passing)...we're right there. I love that we are an amazing FT shooting team and have Trier down the stretch to ice FTs. I love Ayton will either command a double or just rip anyone guarding him up - though he needs to get more touches still. I love the experience of our guards when it comes to a tourney. The depth will be a factor but really will only matter in the round of 32 and elite 8 (knock on wood we get there). Zones still worry us and if only we could have TJ transport back a few years - damn. ha. But Im still pretty excited as long as we can go in healthy. Just keep working bros. Lets see where we're at a month from now. We've got an elite guard on the O end, the best pure center in a decade at least, a good well rounded g/f, a slow, senior big man w touch, and a tiny, senior, avg pg who does have some nice range and gives it his all. Tighten up a little on D, a little more crisp on O. Team still has a very high ceiling. No way I'm counting out a final 4 run. Bear the f down.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We have Ayton; rest of country does not. So there's that.

In a single-game elimination situation, with only four games to win to reach the FF, I love our chances. Aside from Nova, Duke, maybe MSU, and maybe Purdue, I don't see any truly formidable teams out there. Yes, we're all nervous about some upstart mid-major with an excellent coach, but put a little faith in CSM and this group. We're due. And we've got some special players this year. Think of it this way, too: we're most likely *not* going to be a team many are picking for the FF. So we may even have a little bit of underdog-vibe going, which I think always works to a team's advantage.

17-4 overall, first place in the Pac. We're on a good pace.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It’s clear that several posters don’t watch much college basketball outside of Arizona games, coupled with the inability to understand much of anything.

Some really aggressive takes on here that are pretty idiotic yet funny.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

This team is 7-1 and in first place. They haven't played nearly to their potential one consistent basis but are still winning. That is the mark of a very good team.

While it was way too ugly at times last night it wasn't nearly as bad as it seems. Rawle is clearly the emotional leader and he was out. Also everyone wanted a big win due to Tad's comments. We were set up to be disappointed by anything other than a 20 pint win which without Rawle isn't fair to expect.

I don't think this team can beat a top seed like Villanova until it plays to or near its potential more consistently but as 7-1 and 14 of the last 15 tells us it can clearly win without it. But there are 11 to 13 games to get it together so get Rawle healthy and figure out whatever is needed to get the defense to be more consistent and not to have so many lazy mental errors and there is absolutely no reason this team can't make the final four.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Olsondogg wrote:It’s clear that several posters don’t watch much college basketball outside of Arizona games, coupled with the inability to understand much of anything.

I'm not proud to say that I've watched a ton of college basketball this season, and I share your opinion.

But even if somebody doesn't watch non-Arizona games, here's something straightforward we can all agree on:

Arizona does not play like the same team that was in the Bahamas. The number of Arizona's losses since that debacle (1) is equal to the amount of losses suffered by Villanova and Virginia, and second only to Purdue (0). That 14-1 record includes 5 true road wins.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:It’s clear that several posters don’t watch much college basketball outside of Arizona games, coupled with the inability to understand much of anything.

I'm not proud to say that I've watched a ton of college basketball this season, and I share your opinion.

But even if somebody doesn't watch non-Arizona games, here's something straightforward we can all agree on:

Arizona does not play like the same team that was in the Bahamas. The number of Arizona's losses since that debacle (1) is equal to the amount of losses suffered by Villanova and Virginia, and second only to Purdue (0). That 14-1 record includes 5 true road wins.
While I agree with the two of you, my primary concern is that all the metrics certainly suggest we are absolute dog shit on one end of the basketball court and while that's not impossible to overcome in the NCAA tourney it doesn't necessarily bode well for our chances in said tourney either.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dovecanyoncat wrote:

Since the Bahamas, we're 14-1, with the 1 being a conference road loss. Other programs would kill for that. ASU had a similar run, lost their minds and crowned themselves Guard U.

If you can only be happy with a Final Four, even if you root for the BEST cbb program, you'll be a miserable **** over 50% of the years. We have such a consistently strong team, we've lost perspective on how good it is just to have that. I can count on one hand the number of fanbases that could be unhappy at 17-4, leading their conference and pushing the top ten.

In 2001, Lute Olson coached a loaded team. Gardner, Arenas, Jeffrerson, Wright, Woods and Walton off the bench were (IMO) the most stacked top 6 in Arizona history and the most talented team in the nation, yet they were a 2 seed. This was pre-message board, so I always wonder if people were losing their mind about the lacl of fire and how that team was underachieving.

Look, I point out flaws plenty with this team. Part of being a fan is looking at what is wrong and what we can improve on. But the only real point of this is to actually enjoy it, not have it be program body dysmorphia, where we can only see imperfections and be depressed about them. We won. Be happy.

Finally, being really good in January doesn't guarantee anything in March. If years of near misses have taught us anything, you have to come out and win in March. Being consistently good prior helps, but doesn't guarantee anything.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

We have the ability to battle back and beat bad and mediocre and some good teams but does anyone actually think we beat Purdue in an elite 8 game or someone similar currently?
Last edited by scumdevils86 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.