Brandon Williams

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

zonagrad

Re: Brandon Williams

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote:SO AWESOME THAT WILLIAMS CANCELLED HIS TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was a little forced. Try lower case. And maybe only a half dozen exclamation points. But I see potential.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:SO AWESOME THAT WILLIAMS CANCELLED HIS TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or it’s nothing. But you do you Machina.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... ets-offers" target="_blank

Williams was experiencing pain in his right knee in the fall of 2016, which turned out to be osteochondritis dissecans, a joint condition in which bone underneath the cartilage of a joint dies due to lack of blood flow. He was forced to have season-ending surgery in January of 2017, which took away his junior season. More than 10 months of recovery and rehab generated frustration and, at times, self doubt.

“I wasn’t sure if I’d ever be the same. I’d be lying if I said that never crossed my mind. I was ranked No. 14 in the nation before I got hurt,” Williams said. “Didn’t get to play summer ball like I planned, either. I started dropping in the rankings, saw other recruits get attention, and rehab wasn’t going well. I started to feel forgotten.”
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... ets-offers

Williams was experiencing pain in his right knee in the fall of 2016, which turned out to be osteochondritis dissecans, a joint condition in which bone underneath the cartilage of a joint dies due to lack of blood flow. He was forced to have season-ending surgery in January of 2017, which took away his junior season. More than 10 months of recovery and rehab generated frustration and, at times, self doubt.

“I wasn’t sure if I’d ever be the same. I’d be lying if I said that never crossed my mind. I was ranked No. 14 in the nation before I got hurt,” Williams said. “Didn’t get to play summer ball like I planned, either. I started dropping in the rankings, saw other recruits get attention, and rehab wasn’t going well. I started to feel forgotten.”
Thanks, Merk. From the sound of things, he's fully recovered and thriving. Excited to see him at AZ!
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

This is part of why I have faith he sticks with his Arizona commitment - we've stuck with him through it all.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Last 15 games: 29P 6R 3A 2.5S 2.9TO 48% FGs 30% 3PTs 80% FTs

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:

This is part of why I have faith he sticks with his Arizona commitment - we've stuck with him through it all.
As long as Sean Miller is our coach next season Brandon Williams will be an Arizona Wildcat.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not a single defensive highlight. He looks quick as hell, and he's got nice range on his jumper. Can he defend better than PJC? Are we getting an upgrade next season?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

No question he's an upgrade. How tall is he though? Im seeing 5'10 to 6'3" :lol: He has hops though
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

How would you like to be the one guy whose assignment was to guard B-Dub?
Beachcat97 wrote:Not a single defensive highlight. He looks quick as hell, and he's got nice range on his jumper. Can he defend better than PJC? Are we getting an upgrade next season?
From my understanding, he is the only really good player on his team, hence the need to score so much from the PG position.

Just from that perspective, historically such players are told by their coaches not to play defense, since they don't want their star player fouling out.

Never seen him play though, just from a historical perspective.

But defense can be taught, and if he has the quickness to do it, don't see why not. Don't think he will be a head case where he refuses to play defense like other former Cats under Miller.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Not a single defensive highlight. He looks quick as hell, and he's got nice range on his jumper. Can he defend better than PJC? Are we getting an upgrade next season?
Next season or for his career?

Senior PJC has some advantages over freshman Williams. Williams has more potential.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Most likely just being cautious until he's on campus
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:But defense can be taught, and if he has the quickness to do it, don't see why not. Don't think he will be a head case where he refuses to play defense like other former Cats under Miller.
I get that defense can be taught, but I think there's some natural instinct involved too, and just a sheer desire to dominate that side of the ball. Great defensive players -- like Terry, Kadeem, and TJM -- are especially good at anticipating passes, getting their hand on the ball without fouling, and drawing offensive fouls.

If the feeling is that BW is an upgrade over PJC, that's good. I just hope he can come in and be as good on D as he is at knocking down long jumpers.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote:No question he's an upgrade. How tall is he though? Im seeing 5'10 to 6'3" :lol: He has hops though
He's 6'2" or 6'3" in shoes. Big enough. Dude is thick now too after rehabbing - takes contact well and doesn't shy from the basket.

Re: Defense, the issue with PJC is his size. Williams has that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Jefe wrote:No question he's an upgrade. How tall is he though? Im seeing 5'10 to 6'3" :lol: He has hops though
He's 6'2" or 6'3" in shoes. Big enough. Dude is thick now too after rehabbing - takes contact well and doesn't shy from the basket.

Williams will have a learning curve. Everyone does. He has more tools than PJC. He looks quicker and bigger, and that usually means better at D. How fast he learns concepts and adjusts determines whether he is better than any version of PJC year 1.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ya he's not afraid of contact and getting the and 1. 6 games with 12+ FTs made. Needs to work on his 3 ball. He is really going to muscle up by game 1
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:

6'2 is good size for college PG.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 12031.html" target="_blank
However, California-based Scout analyst Josh Gershon said Williams is still the West’s best point guard,

He’s got good size — he’s 6-1 with a 6-6 wingspan so he has really long arms. He’s quick and he can shoot the ball. He’s got a quick release, handle and speed to create off the dribble. I think he’s a scoring point guard but he can fill whatever role they need.”
“They’ve been recruiting him for the last couple of years and they’ve been coming on real strong lately,” said Williams’ stepfather, Chris Wright. “We needed to come over to see how he’d be used. … Coach (Sean) Miller and the whole staff were about making that change to a lead, scoring point guard, somebody who can get a bucket when they need a bucket.”

Mark Lyons is “who he’s being compared to,” Wright said of Williams.

Provided Williams can recover from an unspecified knee injury that has sidelined him for nearly a year, he might have more upside, too.

“He’s an elite talent,” said Russell White, Williams’ coach at Crespi Carmelite High School. “He can play multiple ways — he can be a scorer or a distributor. That’s what makes him special. He can be a scorer but he doesn’t have to score to be happy. He was a scorer for us, but on his club team he was a distributor.”

Williams played as a freshman and sophomore at Crespi with current USC standout De’Anthony Melton, making what White called an immediate impact.

“We saw flashes of brilliance in him” as a freshman, White said.
He has good wingspan and size he won't get beat on size and length alone. Next part is learning the switches, rotations of the packline. Someone like Allen wasn't good when he first got here as a transfer.

Williams has a 6'6 wingspan
PJC has a 6'1 wingspan
Lyons had a 6'4 wingspan
Allen had a 6'8/9 wingspan (huge reason he was good once he figured out the packline)
McConnell had a 6'0 wingspan

I have no no doubt Williams is capable of controlling the point of attack both ways
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is the thinking that BW will start from day one? We do have guards coming back: Randolph, Smith, Akot, and Barcello. But none is a "true PG." I'd think by the time the first exhibition rolls around, we'll be looking at

BW
BR
EA
IL
CJ

Bench: SO, DS, AB

Young as hell. Call me crazy, but I like this lineup's potential.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Someone please reassure me Randolph is going to be massively improved next year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Is the thinking that BW will start from day one?
Who the hell else would you start?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote:Someone please reassure me Randolph is going to be massively improved next year.
He's way too good not to be. Can't believe how this season has turned out for him.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

zonagrad wrote:Someone please reassure me Randolph is going to be massively improved next year.
Offensively? He'll be fine (I hope). Defensively? Jeezus he's probably the worst on the team. I could see Smith starting because Miller trusts him more on defense + someone in his 3rd year in the system.

The guy I'm most most worried about is Lee. I'm not sure he knows how to play basketball despite playing with a ton of energy. He's on track to be another Onobun. Could see 'Reef starting from day one because of it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NYCat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:Defensively? Jeezus he's probably the worst on the team.
Barcello gives him a run for the money. Don't expect AB to be around next year at all. Think he realized that playing on an elite team the game is just too fast for him. Miller has made his feelings quite public about Barcello not progressing: “and it’s no longer December.”

But who knows, like has been oft said, the biggest progression a college basketball player makes is between his freshman and sophomore year. Will he develop any lateral quickness? Don't really see how.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Barcello gives him a run for the money. Don't expect AB to be around next year at all. Think he realized that playing on an elite team the game is just too fast for him. Miller has made his feelings quite public about Barcello not progressing: “and it’s no longer December.”

But who knows, like has been oft said, the biggest progression a college basketball player makes is between his freshman and sophomore year. Will he develop any lateral quickness? Don't really see how.
Did Gabe York develop any lateral quickness after his freshman year where he didn't play after December either? Barcello is a much much smarter player than York and he'll catch up to the game just like York did.

The smashing of the freshmen in this thread is odd and short sighted.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
NYCat wrote:

Did Gabe York develop any lateral quickness after his freshman year where he didn't play after December either? Barcello is a much much smarter player than York and he'll catch up to the game just like York did.

Thanks, Choo. I have faith that AB isn't toast and has a role to play in our future.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Or he could be another Daniel Bejarano. *shrug* They don't all pan out, and if the brief Miller era has taught us anything so far at point guard, it's that you need insurance.
TJATUA

Post by TJATUA »

Merkin wrote:
NYCat wrote:

If he transfers, that would tell us a lot about Barcello. With seven scholarship players leaving and only two (so far) incoming, there are plenty of opportunities for minutes and to potentially start. Plus, he would have to sit out a year if he transferred.

Smart move would be to stay and develop.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
NYCat wrote:

Did anyone actually expect Barcello to do much this year? Personally, I'd said I'd be surprised if he was a rotation guy until he was an upperclassman. Now he's gone bc he didn't contribute much this year?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
NYCat wrote:

I'm not smashing the freshmen. I just don't like reading loads of hype about an incoming freshman and talk of being one and done when the kid is clearly overrated. I think Randolph has skills, but he's ten times more raw than Kobi Simmons. Randolph was in the game in the first half vs. USC and held the ball near the timeline. He didn't establish a pivot foot and it was though he was glued to the court...so he stumbled into a travel. It was as if he had never played the game of basketball. That's not bashing. But talk of him turning professional is just nonsense. I'm hopeful he can turn his raw talent into a productive player. But I'm concerned because I see such a low basketball IQ on display. It's gonna be a very important offseason for Randolph.

I think all of our freshmen have bright futures. But they also need to regain their confidence and work on their games. I don't know where the leadership is going to come from next year.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

My Barcello concern is that with his grades he could have gone to Harvard or Stanford and gotten a killer degree. If he thinks his basketball career is in doubt, I could see him making the “smart play” and doing just that.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
NYCat wrote:

I'm not smashing the freshmen. I just don't like reading loads of hype about an incoming freshman and talk of being one and done when the kid is clearly overrated. I think Randolph has skills, but he's ten times more raw than Kobi Simmons. Randolph was in the game in the first half vs. USC and held the ball near the timeline. He didn't establish a pivot foot and it was though he was glued to the court...so he stumbled into a travel. It was as if he had never played the game of basketball. That's not bashing. But talk of him turning professional is just nonsense. I'm hopeful he can turn his raw talent into a productive player. But I'm concerned because I see such a low basketball IQ on display. It's gonna be a very important offseason for Randolph.

I think all of our freshmen have bright futures. But they also need to regain their confidence and work on their games. I don't know where the leadership is going to come from next year.
Randolph going pro after this year is a serious concern?

I agree with every thing you said though.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

YoDeFoe wrote:My Barcello concern is that with his grades he could have gone to Harvard or Stanford and gotten a killer degree. If he thinks his basketball career is in doubt, I could see him making the “smart play” and doing just that.
I think Barcello wants to stay and develop into a NBA PG. He chose UA for a reason. He has a lot of work to do, but he should be someone Miller can mold over four seasons.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:
NYCat wrote:

Did anyone actually expect Barcello to do much this year? Personally, I'd said I'd be surprised if he was a rotation guy until he was an upperclassman. Now he's gone bc he didn't contribute much this year?
There were a lot of posts here saying AB would be starting over PJC by the time conference started.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

catgrad97 wrote:...the brief Miller era...
brief?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:
NYCat wrote:

There were a lot of posts here saying AB would be starting over PJC by the time conference started.
That's why I'm asking. People say things, but I wonder how many honestly expected that.

IMO, a lot of it is that people say they want four year players, not one and dones, but they really kean they want four year players who produce like one and dones. No one seems to want the struggles inherent in guys who take years to develop while the development is happening, but we want the end product when those guys play against us.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Just saw this, but he cancelled it because his HS coach organized an uncharacteristic Saturday practice to prep for state playoffs. Williams isn't going to tell his coach to f*** off. I imagine he'll be here for the Furd or Cal game. It's not as if he hasn't been to campus numerous times already.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

Williams will have a learning curve. Everyone does. He has more tools than PJC. He looks quicker and bigger, and that usually means better at D. How fast he learns concepts and adjusts determines whether he is better than any version of PJC year 1.
Right. Why is Justin Simon in New York?

Sometimes, size doesn't mean better play...especially immediately.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Just saw this, but he cancelled it because his HS coach organized an uncharacteristic Saturday practice to prep for state playoffs. Williams isn't going to tell his coach to f*** off. I imagine he'll be here for the Furd or Cal game. It's not as if he hasn't been to campus numerous times already.
But why put in a little research when you can hit caps lock and whine (while secretly cheering the demise of evil "No Alumni Event For You" Sean Miller?)
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
But why put in a little research when you can hit caps lock and whine (while secretly cheering the demise of evil "No Alumni Event For You" Sean Miller?)
Unnecessary panic is so much more fun!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Why don't you take your reasonable, fact based opinions and get out of here? Can you not see when someone's trying to engage in leaping to the worst conclusion based on minimal information?

You know, my father's internet was ok with unsourced speculation. Then Obama comes along with his Net Neutrality and we need facts?

PHXCATS is just speaking in the native tongue of the internet, where you can post an unsourced opinion with one user profile and then cite that opinion as corroboration from your other user profile.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote: There were a lot of posts here saying AB would be starting over PJC by the time conference started.
Wasn't it Miller who said that AB was the best shooter in practice, and reminded him a lot of TJ? Not hard to extrapolate that.

Then AB goes 1 for his last 10 3 point shots, hasn't made one since early December, and defensively makes Steve Kerry look like Richard Jefferson.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Merkin wrote:
Postmaster wrote: There were a lot of posts here saying AB would be starting over PJC by the time conference started.
Wasn't it Miller who said that AB was the best shooter in practice, and reminded him a lot of TJ? Not hard to extrapolate that.

Then AB goes 1 for his last 10 3 point shots, hasn't made one since early December, and defensively makes Steve Kerry look like Richard Jefferson.
Nerves. Remember how Gabe York also was the greatest shooter but it took a while?

Kid isn't a top 10 phenom. Just a very good basketball player who is intimidated as hell by some of his teammates (on the court) and is shooting everything short. He got a little run late in a blowout and showed really more what his game is...off leg layups with the ball protected, push shots in the lane, mid range floaters. He is far more a scorer, or was, than a 3 pt bomber. But the kid can shoot. He just wasn't ready.

Will he ever be? Who knows? This is a big time program.

There are other things (nothing about him) that could be impacting him that I am not getting into. But he will keep working and he is truly the nicest kid you will find at that level of play. Sometimes, nice and smart cause issues on a court if you think too much. He needs to play without fear.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^ Good stuff EV.

Remember Miller offered AB after seeing him score 51 points as a sophomore. Don't care who you play, even playing against a bunch of junior high school kids that is really an amazing feat.

So he can definitely score.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Nerves. Remember how Gabe York also was the greatest shooter but it took a while?

Kid isn't a top 10 phenom. Just a very good basketball player who is intimidated as hell by some of his teammates (on the court) and is shooting everything short. He got a little run late in a blowout and showed really more what his game is...off leg layups with the ball protected, push shots in the lane, mid range floaters. He is far more a scorer, or was, than a 3 pt bomber. But the kid can shoot. He just wasn't ready.

Will he ever be? Who knows? This is a big time program.

There are other things (nothing about him) that could be impacting him that I am not getting into. But he will keep working and he is truly the nicest kid you will find at that level of play. Sometimes, nice and smart cause issues on a court if you think too much. He needs to play without fear.
He may not speed up, but the game can slow down. Even if you're not Usain Bolt, you get faster when you don't waste steps.

The thing about development is that sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes your ceiling is Matt Korcheck. A team can still use a Matt Korcheck, though.

I don't know Barcello, but I really would be surprised if he had too much invested in being ready right away. From the roster makeup, even if he was ready, he'd be getting max 8 mpg or so behind PJC.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

2019 ESPN mock draft has Randolph going 28th...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote:
2019 ESPN mock draft has Randolph going 28th...
Probably not the right thread for an extension of this tangent, but Randolph is indeed talented. He can be a very good college player, and he may even go onto the pros. We just haven't seen enough of him this year to really know what he can do. Hopefully he'll stick around in Tucson for another year. He'll get big minutes next year.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Anyone see that BW is now the 22nd ranked player and a full five star again?

According to 24/7, and look who he's next to...

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Anyone see that BW is now the 22nd ranked player and a full five star again?

Hopefully that doesn't cost extra.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Anyone see that BW is now the 22nd ranked player and a full five star again?

Good Christ, we should be had these two playing along side each other. Could the FBI be any more worthless?