Thunderdome

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Thunderdome

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

In the battle for playing time on the wing, I would assume RHJ and SJ eat up 60 or so of the 80 available minutes. This leaves 20 minutes for Pitts, York and Allen. I do not subscribe to the idea that we will play small a lot, because I like what Victor brings and Zeus and Ashley should both be ready to carry the load.

I think this means that 3 enter and 2 (at max) leave. My take: Pitts was more advanced than York as a frosh, and assuming he makes strides, he makes the cut. That leaves York and Allen. I'd say York takes that by a nose, but I wouldn't be stunned if Miller sliced down to just SJ/RHJ/Pitts for the big guys.
salim'sheadband

Re: Thunderdome

Post by salim'sheadband »

I would not expect too much of the freshmen bigs, Victor and Rustic. Ashley will play center when Zeus is out as he did this year, and everyone will bump up a position most likely. It wouldn't surprise me to see Stanley guard the 4 at times either. Allen, York, and Pitts are all experienced and one of them will have to prove to be a capable distributor.

Just my 2¢.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

I really don't see Pitts ever being a distributor. That just doesn't seem like his game. Agree that we won't see much from Victor or Rustic, probably same goes for PJC. Most frosh are not ready to contribute the way AG and RHJ were last year (and SJ will be this year) so Kadeem and York will have to step it up from the playmaking side when they are in the game spelling TJ.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

salim'sheadband wrote:I would not expect too much of the freshmen bigs, Victor and Rustic. Ashley will play center when Zeus is out as he did this year, and everyone will bump up a position most likely. It wouldn't surprise me to see Stanley guard the 4 at times either. Allen, York, and Pitts are all experienced and one of them will have to prove to be a capable distributor.

Just my 2¢.
Ristic is an unknown quantity, but I disagree on Victor. He's physically developed, and I think he will step nicely into a rotation role. He obviously won't challenge for starter minutes, but he doesn't have to. Zeus/Victor is a physical, pounding lineup.

I don't think we'll need much more than knocking down open shots from any of our backup wings. We have a very unselfish team, and Ubuntu overcomes the need for distributors (not like we don't have those, though).
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

In my opinion, it's going to come down to who is most willing/plays the best defense. If what we've heard about Allen's defense is true and translates to this level, I expect him to get the bulk of the minutes at the two.

Pitts is a bit of a wildcard to me. He was limited with a wrist injury and mono, and never really got a "full" freshman year. He showed some flashes towards the end of the season that got me excited for this year.

York had his moments this year, both good and bad, but I think in the end he's the odd man out.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
salim'sheadband wrote:I would not expect too much of the freshmen bigs, Victor and Rustic. Ashley will play center when Zeus is out as he did this year, and everyone will bump up a position most likely. It wouldn't surprise me to see Stanley guard the 4 at times either. Allen, York, and Pitts are all experienced and one of them will have to prove to be a capable distributor.

Just my 2¢.
Ristic is an unknown quantity, but I disagree on Victor. He's physically developed, and I think he will step nicely into a rotation role. He obviously won't challenge for starter minutes, but he doesn't have to. Zeus/Victor is a physical, pounding lineup.

I don't think we'll need much more than knocking down open shots from any of our backup wings. We have a very unselfish team, and Ubuntu overcomes the need for distributors (not like we don't have those, though).
When I watched CV at Findlay this year, I thought to myself consistently "there is no way he will be able to do that in college next year". Most of the time it was muscling through an outmatched, shorter play rather than a skilled low post move.

If his 15 footer was better then I think he could come in and contribute immediately, but I think he will be entirely overmatched as a frosh unless something dramatically changes from what I saw this year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I would expect he would be a 5th offensive option at all times. We don't need more scoring. D, rebounding and toughness.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

true. I guess it remains to be seen if he can pick up SM's defense quick enough to see the floor. I sure hope so
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I figure this is the rotation to a large degree:

PG: Mconnell (31)
SG: Johnson (20)
SF: Jefferson (20), Johnson (10)
PF: Ashley (20), Jefferson (10)
C: Tarczewski (28), Ashley (12)

That leaves 9 mpg, 20 mpg, 10 mpg, 10 mpg

That should be good for 3/4 more roles:

PG: PJC or Allen
SG: York or Allen
SF: Pitts
Big: Victor

My guess is Allen and York split the PG/SG minutes, that Pitts (SF) and Victor (10) get the two 10 mpg roles.

Should York or Pitts transfer, Johnson shift some minutes to SF, and PJC likely gets all backup PG minutes, and Increased SG minutes goes to Allen at SG/SF or Pitts at SF.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I figure this is the rotation to a large degree:

PG: Mconnell (31)
SG: Johnson (20)
SF: Jefferson (20), Johnson (10)
PF: Ashley (20), Jefferson (10)
C: Tarczewski (28), Ashley (12)

That leaves 9 mpg, 20 mpg, 10 mpg, 10 mpg

That should be good for 3/4 more roles:

PG: PJC or Allen
SG: York or Allen
SF: Pitts
Big: Victor

My guess is Allen and York split the PG/SG minutes, that Pitts (SF) and Victor (10) get the two 10 mpg roles.

Should York or Pitts transfer, Johnson shift some minutes to SF, and PJC likely gets all backup PG minutes, and Increased SG minutes goes to Allen at SG/SF or Pitts at SF.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

agree mostly except you have Brash, coming off of a foot injury, playing the most minutes on the team. I think (and hope) they will be much more conservative with his minutes
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMark, I know I won't persuade you, because I didn't on the old board, but here's how I see it.

PF/C rotation: 30 each from Zeus and Ashley. Victor with 10-20. If Ristic is ready, 10 each. If not, Victor gets 15-20 and we patch with SJ/RHJ/Korcheck.

Wing: 30 from Rhj/SJ. 20 up for grabs as I described.

Pg: 30 to TJ. Remainder to PJC if he is ready. If not, Allen gets 5-10 and TJ plays 30-35.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I'm trying to remember which poster you said you were?

With Miller there's seldom a defined position for anyone outside PG and C.

Johnson will play some SF, Jefferson will play some PF, and Ashley will play some C.

Miller likes playing matchups when possible.

I definitely see Victor getting 10+ and believe Allen and his length, defense and downhill slashing will get 12-15 minimum. I'm interested to see where York fits. I'm hoping he comes in with a stroke at over 40% from range.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Is it fair game to claim I was Olson Court?

I think Miller's enjoyment of size trumps playing the matchups in the long run. Obviously we'll tweak in individual games if necessary. If Ashley is fully healthy and Victor is ready for 15, that really doesn't leave much. If PJC eats up the backup PG minutes, that's where we get the strong squeeze for minutes.

The first preference, I'd think, is for Ristic to be ready for all non Victor backup big minutes. His readiness along with PJC's should define how much true room we have. I also posted I believe Ristic will be ready to eat those backup minutes up on the old site, and I still think that.

I was actually Pooh Man.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

That's what I thought I remembered.

Nice having you here, Percy!

Whoops!

:)