let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Gladiator Cat

Re: let's talk '18

Post by Gladiator Cat »

The bottom line is Miller and Arizona are about to have a couple of down years. Maybe even big-time down years.

I'm not going to rationalize any of this BS. The current team we have with zero recruits for next year is not a tournament team. Now moving forward we will get guys to come but these are going to be much lower level players than what we're accustom to.

BW is a huge hit because we need a competent PG so badly, but even Shaq's kid wasn't going to move the needle for us next year.

Miller may be looking at a serious shitshow for the next few years if he's even here.

Furthermore, if Miller's well documented frustration and stress about not being able to get over the E-8 hump with his renowned top five recruiting classes and NBA talent spread across the roster every year, what in the hell is going to happen when we are struggling at a 500 clip in PAC12 and maybe missing the big dance for a couple of years.

I don't see that type of a shitshow as a positive for Miller or the fans even in a crappy PAC12.

And in reality that's what we're looking at right now.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Gladiator Cat wrote:The bottom line is Miller and Arizona are about to have a couple of down years. Maybe even big-time down years.

I'm not going to rationalize any of this BS. The current team we have with zero recruits for next year is not a tournament team. Now moving forward we will get guys to come but these are going to be much lower level players than what we're accustom to.

BW is a huge hit because we need a competent PG so badly, but even Shaq's kid wasn't going to move the needle for us next year.

Miller may be looking at a serious shitshow for the next few years if he's even here.

Furthermore, if Miller's well documented frustration and stress about not being able to get over the E-8 hump with his renowned top five recruiting classes and NBA talent spread across the roster every year, what in the hell is going to happen when we are struggling at a 500 clip in PAC12 and maybe missing the big dance for a couple of years.

I don't see that type of a shitshow as a positive for Miller or the fans even in a crappy PAC12.

I'm more optimistic than you. 68 teams make the tourney. If Miller can re-recruit Williams and score a grad transfer, we have a legit starting lineup and maybe depth.

Akot and Randolph were overrated at the beginniing of the year, but they've become underrated because they get criticized so much. They will be solid on the wing. Jeter should be solid in the post. Lee has to grow into a starting PF, and it would really round out to have Williams. Smith as a 4th year junior is a legit 6th man and then just add a transfer, Doutrive and Barcello for depth.

It isn't a juggernaut, but there's no reason we can't make the tourney. We just get to see how most programs live, where the tourney isn't a given, but a goal that has to be achieved.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I like you're positive attitude but I don't buy it.

This current roster with stars in Ayton, Trier and Alkins and a serviceable Ristic and a bunch of role players we struggle to beat teams.

Next years roster with all of these guys gone...good grief.....teams the level of Oregon State will be a challenge to beat.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:Just to put everything in perspective

Arizona survived a recruiting class of Travis Hanour, Andrew Zahn and Mike Schwerley
They didn't lose 4 seniors and 3 underclassmen from the year prior.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Post-season bans are so dumb. They punish innocent players. NCAA punishments should be limited to reductions in scholarships. Once a player has started a program on scholarship, he shouldn't be punished for what an assistant coach did before he ever committed to a program.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Gladiator Cat wrote:I like you're positive attitude but I don't buy it.

This current roster with stars in Ayton, Trier and Alkins and a serviceable Ristic and a bunch of role players we struggle to beat teams.

Next years roster with all of these guys gone...good grief.....teams the level of Oregon State will be a challenge to beat.
I think you underrate things like defense. We have some very talented players, but only Ayton is arguably a plus defender. Everyone but Ayton can be a defensive upgrade, and that is why we struggle.

Offensively, well, only one player can shoot the ball. It's a measure of what we've cone to expect that we're starting 5 players who were 4 and 5 star recruits, one McDonald's AA and we think the talent level isn't capable of the tourney.

Akot and Randolph were highly regarded for a reason. If we can keep Williams, we have enough firepower. If we start Barcello, I worry.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:The bottom line is Miller and Arizona are about to have a couple of down years. Maybe even big-time down years.

I think this is a difficult position to take. When Miller got hired I thought it would take us seven years per Andy Katz (fuck ESPN) to just get back to the tournament. Less then two years later Derrick Williams ripped Dukes soul out in front of me in the tournament and it was glorious.

I do not doubt Sean Millers ability to recruit. While this year might be tough we still have a lot to sell. And I personally do not see major sanctions coming.

Who knows what the future lies. I thought in December Rich Rod would be our coach in 2018 as did 99% of the people out there.

Live in the now and enjoy Ayton while we have him
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

that was fast, and i called it. ZERO commits

i can't actually believe i'm reading supposed credible posters saying "maybe miller can re-recruit williams". holy cow get out the of miller humper fantasyland

the more likely scenario is we lose a bunch of transfers after the tourney . i can see Randolph, Akot and Lee maybe even Barcelo moving on

F*** YEAH BEAR THE F** DOWN
smh, idiots
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

“Idiots”? That’s a personal attack on all our persons. I reported your post to Merkin.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

RiseAndFire wrote:that was fast, and i called it. ZERO commits

i can't actually believe i'm reading supposed credible posters saying "maybe miller can re-recruit williams". holy cow get out the of miller humper fantasyland

the more likely scenario is we lose a bunch of transfers after the tourney . i can see Randolph, Akot and Lee maybe even Barcelo moving on

smh, idiots
I really do not understand trolls. What a waste of time
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I can't believe that douche hasn't been banned yet.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Proud to be an idiot
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Newportcat wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:that was fast, and i called it. ZERO commits

smh, idiots
I really do not understand trolls. What a waste of time
It's like try to engage a puppy that runs excitedly through the room occasionally, shitting itself.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Silver lining thought.

Maybe lower level recruits stay longer and learn Miller's scheme better.
Succes then comes with upperclassmen instead of superstars.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Gonna be interesting to see how quickly Miller can fill out this ‘18 class. There are still some very good players out there. Can “the witch” get some of his magic back?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So are we assuming he is staying now?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

azcat49 wrote:So are we assuming he is staying now?
This is the question. No idea until the season is over. I am betting we will know before the end of April.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:So are we assuming he is staying now?
I don't think so but I'm not going to worry about until after the tourney.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I am really surprised at the tone of all this. Do you know of any coach that outworks Sean Miller? You don't think he is motivate to prove everyone wrong? I will bet that Sean has alerted every contact he has overseas to identify prospects that might be interested in coming to the U.S.. He has reach out to every JC that has a promising recruit, he will be active in the grad transfer market and I bet he gets at least one four star this year. He is fired up and will be anxious to prove he is still a large factor in the West and that we were justified in our confidence and support of him.

Now let's win the PAC title outright today and stop all the doom and gloom.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

TheCat wrote:I am really surprised at the tone of all this. Do you know of any coach that outworks Sean Miller? You don't think he is motivate to prove everyone wrong? I will bet that Sean has alerted every contact he has overseas to identify prospects that might be interested in coming to the U.S.. He has reach out to every JC that has a promising recruit, he will be active in the grad transfer market and I bet he gets at least one four star this year. He is fired up and will be anxious to prove he is still a large factor in the West and that we were justified in our confidence and support of him.

Now let's win the PAC title outright today and stop all the doom and gloom.
X1000 BTFD!!!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Yeah. If there’s one area we know Miller excels in, it’s drawing players to the AZ program. Cynically, some will now wonder about whether this “draw” has involved improper incentives. So you can either take Sean at his word (as I do), or you can consider him guilty until proven innocent.

It may take a recruiting cycle or two, but Sean will get his mojo back. The elite players will return.

These larger concerns about Sean leaving after this season...not sure what to say. There’s been zero indication from him or the school that he’s leaving.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

If CSM stays...IF...I think a move to more of a Villanova/ Virginia/ Gonzaga recruiting model may be just what the doctor ordered for Miller. Will be interesting.

If he stays, do we think BWill is back in the fold?

IF not, thoughts on JC or Grad Transfer PGs?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

phenom5 wrote:If CSM stays...IF...I think a move to more of a Villanova/ Virginia/ Gonzaga recruiting model may be just what the doctor ordered for Miller.
Or like he did himself at Xavier. How many one and done's did he have there?

Miller didn't even have a NBA pick for 4 straight years at X.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

phenom5 wrote:If CSM stays...IF...I think a move to more of a Villanova/ Virginia/ Gonzaga recruiting model may be just what the doctor ordered for Miller. Will be interesting.

If he stays, do we think BWill is back in the fold?

IF not, thoughts on JC or Grad Transfer PGs?
Wait for it

Bah, after 15 min of trying to copy the post from the Brandon William thread, I give up.

It's halfway down page 3 on the BW thread.

Don't bother thanking me, I didn't actually do anything.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

Like what people are saying re our approach to recruiting and looking at more 4 year guys and at fewer one and done talent. I mean Gordon, Lauri and Ayton were special and so much fun, watching Dusan last night and PJC is why I love college basketball.

I just hope Miller stays. Miller is one of those guys who can do more with less IMO.

Barcello
Smith/Randolph
Akot
Lee
Jeter

I'll ride with this squad. We just need some depth. Get a couple grad transfers or another Ristic type and we can be decent. I'm actually looking forward to the rebuild.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

BTW... imagine that class of Barcello, Randolph, Akot and Lee as Seniors.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Postmaster wrote:Silver lining thought.

Maybe lower level recruits stay longer and learn Miller's scheme better.
Succes then comes with upperclassmen instead of superstars.
This is where I am at. Miller's a blue collar guy with a blue collar system. He just happens to be able to recruit at a really high level. These things are oil and water when you take into account the persona and tenure of most high 5* recruits. For Miller's approach to work he needs 100% buy-in from the types of player that will run through brick walls for him. You don't develop that culture with a) significant yearly turnover, and b) players looking to go to the league as soon as they can. Like someone said in the Dusan thread: 'we need more Dusans'. I definitely think that's true.

Embrace the 4-yr player profile out of high school, ranging from mid-3* peaking at high 4*. Look for kids that don't necessarily project into the NBA immediately, but have the ability to make a big impact in college. Prioritize a love for defense, coach-ability, fundamentals, shooting, etc. over athleticism, developed bodies, explosiveness, etc. I think he needs to flip the model entirely. Even if Miller stays and gets past sanctions and is in the clear, this approach to recruiting, developing talent, and building a competitive team seems to suit him better. And likely suit Arizona and its fans better as well (despite you clowns who like to hoist recruiting banners).

We would never be a preseason #1. We would almost always be in the top 25. We would always make the tourney. We would usually overachieve in the tourney. The # of lottery picks in the NBA would drop. The feel-good stories like TJ or Fogg would go up. It would be a different era for sure, and that's ok with me. I think Miller and Arizona could be very successful if he embraced it.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Hmmm...not sure I would entirely want to flip the model. When you can get an Ayton you get an Ayton.

Even 4 star players want to leave early so if we are really looking for 4 year players you are talking 2 and 3 star players with maybe a 4 star every now and then. No thanks.

I'll take my chances with having the best talent possible every year and roll the dice with the coaching staff putting the pieces together. It's not like we haven been close recently of making the FF.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Somewhere in the middle would be nice. Get a couple kids who will develop and contribute in their upperclassmen years who are made for Miller's system and will be the next leaders. Then get a lottery pick/surefire 1st rounder recruit to compliment/complete a team that will have experience, and maybe a high 4* or two to contribute for a couple of years. 5*s who aren't lottery/mid 1st rounders aren't worth it imo if they leave in one year, especially in the packline.

Anyway my hope is that Miller is forced to play a PG, 3 wings and Jeter next year. For that reason I hope he doesn't get a C that's good enough to contribute. It's so much better for his system. Recruit kids that are athletic, long, versatile that can play multiple positions/spots.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

*looks at what Miller did at Xavier, ignores this post*

The Pac 12 is a shit conference. It is by far the weakest power conference. It is more comparable to Xavier in the A-10, than to another power conference currently.

Will Arizona have overwhelming talent the next few years? Probably not. But it will have plenty of high four stars and at least one five star in Akot. To say Arizona goes .500 in the Pac 12 is laughable. It might get 10-12 wins next year even if Arizona doesn't get a graduate transfer and has zero recruits.

Miller has done this before at Xavier, this is what makes a HOF coach. The home court alone will get us victories, and 19 is a new year with targets that will be care less about the FBI. By 20 and 21 nobody will remember even if there are scholarship sanctions.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

84Cat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPN_Schick/ ... gr%5Etweet

Fingers crossed this is true, because if true, it could really help our 2018 cause.
Click on tweet to read the whole thread
So if his passes in June, I wonder how soon it would become official. We might take full advantage of the new rule if it passes next year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Frybry02 wrote:
84Cat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPN_Schick/ ... gr%5Etweet

Fingers crossed this is true, because if true, it could really help our 2018 cause.
Click on tweet to read the whole thread
So if his passes in June, I wonder how soon it would become official. We might take full advantage of the new rule if it passes next year.
If it passes in June I wouldn't expect it to affect anyone until the following offseason.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

all the scuttlebutt around when this came up previously was that it would go into effect immediately.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Top PG reclassifies to 2018 and we might be the only major program not on his list

https://247sports.com/Player/Ashton-Hagans-93920" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote:Top PG reclassifies to 2018 and we might be the only major program not on his list

https://247sports.com/Player/Ashton-Hagans-93920" target="_blank
Paging the witch.

Really feel like a FF run recaptures some of our recruiting mojo. A lot riding on this postseason.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I wonder if vasa pucica from northeastern would want to play here?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Hes from Belgrade, maybe he knows Dus.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Players expected to get big minutes next year:

Guards: BR, DS, AB
Forwards: IL, EA
Centers: CJ

With the '18 class currently empty, it looks like we've got needs all over the place. This is gonna be one of the toughest summers of Miller's tenure at AZ. And in the (now more unlikely) event there's a coaching change, who knows what the roster could look like?

Man, mapping out our depth chart for next year really puts this in perspective. Losing JQ, SO, and now BW really thins the roster. '18 was supposed to be a huge recruiting class. I'm not gonna panic, though, because The Witch always seems to figure things out.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

You mean Mithrandir
-Norlander.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

You guys want another grad transfer PG? I'm on my phone, but look up Vasa Pusica at Northeastern. Look at where he's from and the HS he went to along with his stats of course.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:You guys want another grad transfer PG? I'm on my phone, but look up Vasa Pusica at Northeastern. Look at where he's from and the HS he went to along with his stats of course.
Same HS as Dus, right?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:You guys want another grad transfer PG? I'm on my phone, but look up Vasa Pusica at Northeastern. Look at where he's from and the HS he went to along with his stats of course.
Same HS as Dus, right?
Same city in Serbia as well.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is it already known that he's transferring or is this wishful thinking?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Is it already known that he's transferring or is this wishful thinking?
Just wishful thinking at the moment. I watched him yesterday and thought the name sounded familiar and low and behold.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Vasa loves Casa?

Vasa loves Carne Asada?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Vasa Pusica love carne secca.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

This is the absolute dream grad transfer. I doubt he does, but good christ give him to us please.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... /mike-daum" target="_blank
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

We better stop talking about Vasa, if Bilas gets word of it God only knows the ramifications. "Oh, Arizona fans were paying players from other schools 100,000 compliments to transfer to Arizona. I'm a lawyer. Oh. #freeschlabotch"
Last edited by U.P. Zona Fan on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Norlander.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Yes, Daum is awesome. He is awesome.
-Norlander.