Official Bracketology Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by NYCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Kansas is one of the more undeserving #1s in recent years.
Everyone should be praying KU is the #1 seed in the West and Arizona is the #4 seed - and hope Gonzaga is not the #5 seed.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

NYCat wrote:
Everyone should be praying KU is the #1 seed in the West and Arizona is the #4 seed - and hope Gonzaga is not the #5 seed.
You know, I'm not completely sold on the Zags tbh. IMO, they seem pedestrian in the post this year compared to years past (no karnowski or collins). I think Ayton and Dus would have their ways with the Zags in that aspect. The one concern I would have is the length of some of their guards and the range they have. Our Perimeter D has improved but there deep game could pose a problem. I don't think they are as talented as previous years. I think we win that game np
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
NYCat wrote:
You know, I'm not completely sold on the Zags tbh. IMO, they seem pedestrian in the post this year compared to years past (no karnowski or collins). I think Ayton and Dus would have their ways with the Zags in that aspect. The one concern I would have is the length of some of their guards and the range they have. Our Perimeter D has improved but there deep game could pose a problem. I don't think they are as talented as previous years. I think we win that game np
Gonzaga is nowhere near the team they were last year, but Tillie is a very good player and their defense is solid. I agree: I think we're clearly the better team this year, but the Zags are as well coached as any team and would be a very tough second round game.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

SabinoDrifter wrote:those turds in Tempe would be an interesting case if they were to lose today...
if they lose they are like the definition of a bubble team to study for the committee as a thought experiment. good wins in ooc, bad conference and conference result. very bubbly SOS and RPI in the 50s/60s.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

I'm Pretty sure 90% of ASU's shots have been from 3 point range so far today...live by the 3, die by the 3
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:I'm Pretty sure 90% of ASU's shots have been from 3 point range so far today...live by the 3, die by the 3
Just about half.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Yeah asu shouldn't be in, they were hovering the 11 line before. Especially if UCLA, Oregon or USC wins the conference tournament. At best ASU should be a play in game.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

NYCat wrote:Yeah asu shouldn't be in, they were hovering the 11 line before. Especially if UCLA, Oregon or USC wins the conference tournament. At best ASU should be a play in game.
they're either an 11 seed play-in team or like the #1 overall seed in the NIT

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Please have a camera on them as they announce the field and they're not in.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

I'm thinking they move up to a 9 seed.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:Please have a camera on them as they announce the field and they're not in.
In my mind's eye, they're wearing the Guard U t-shirts when this happens. Then Hurley gives an interview with CBS with his hands behind his back.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

according to live-rpi.com asu's rpi is 65 with the #72 SOS. only thing that is keeping them in the discussion are those 2 wins. if they had lost to either xavier or kansas they'd be 100% out right now.

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

azgreg wrote:Please have a camera on them as they announce the field and they're not in.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

NYCat wrote:
Gonzaga is a tough team for anyone to face. I don’t think a 5 seed is justified, and it makes sense to ship Arizona or Gonzaga.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

ASUHATER! wrote:
NYCat wrote:Yeah asu shouldn't be in, they were hovering the 11 line before. Especially if UCLA, Oregon or USC wins the conference tournament. At best ASU should be a play in game.
Don't you have to have a winning conf record to make the NIT or at least even?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
They have to have near .500 records and a large fan-base. We'll see how long ASU fans stick around...
cats101

Post by cats101 »

The funny thing about asu's 2 great wins, is I can probably find a team not going to the tournament with 2 wins just as good (though with some bad losses). St. John's immediately comes to mind.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

nm confused myself
Last edited by Longhorned on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prh

Post by prh »

Longhorned wrote:If ASU is in the play-in game, which #1 seed wants to face them in the first round? Kansas and Xavier would no doubt be spared, but how does Villanova and Virginia feel about that? It's one thing with conference foes that know how to plan for ASU. The one-and-out tourney is another thing. Not out of this world to wonder if this would be the first ever 1-seed eliminated by a 16-seed.
LH you being sarcastic or already drunk in vegas? if asu is in a play-in game they'd be an 11 seed
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

prh wrote:
Longhorned wrote:If ASU is in the play-in game, which #1 seed wants to face them in the first round? Kansas and Xavier would no doubt be spared, but how does Villanova and Virginia feel about that? It's one thing with conference foes that know how to plan for ASU. The one-and-out tourney is another thing. Not out of this world to wonder if this would be the first ever 1-seed eliminated by a 16-seed.
LH you being sarcastic or already drunk in vegas? if asu is in a play-in game they'd be an 11 seed
No, I actually confused myself. Only three drinks in. Thanks, prh.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Not anymore.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Oklahoma was listed in the top 16 when the selection committee put their top 16 out a few weeks ago. They just lost again and finished the season at 18-13. Are they now out? Even a worse collapse than ASU.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Alieberman wrote:Oklahoma was listed in the top 16 when the selection committee put their top 16 out a few weeks ago. They just lost again and finished the season at 18-13. Are they now out? Even a worse collapse than ASU.
No way Oklatraema is out, poster child for WTF?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Oklahoma was listed in the top 16 when the selection committee put their top 16 out a few weeks ago. They just lost again and finished the season at 18-13. Are they now out? Even a worse collapse than ASU.
Last 15 games they are 4-11
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Alieberman wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
Last 15 games they are 4-11
That's sad. But if they are that bad over the past 15 games and Kansas keeps loosing at home like they did ( even against ASU), then that would mean the big 12 is not as good as promoted - and conferences like the PAC-12 are better than being reported.

Can't let that happen. :roll:
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Bracket matrix most accurate bracket has Arizona as a #5 in the West.

1. Kansas
2. Duke
3. Michigan
4. Gonzaga
5. Arizona

Arizona/Gonzaga are playing in Boise (since Gonzaga is a #4 seed they would get a choice of where to play, they would choose Boise most likely)

Asu is out. UCLA the only other pac 12 team to make it

https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/" target="_blank

----

I agree we're a #5 seed and can solidify a #4 seed if we get a couple wins during the conference tournament. #3 seed is out of reach.

Here's the bracket matrix bracket ranking

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html" target="_blank
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Lunardi has us as a 4 in the East. ASU and UCLA as play in 11 seeds and USC as a 10 in the West.

97cats

Post by 97cats »

bring Duke WEST
prh

Post by prh »

If we win the Pac12 tourney, there is no way we are not in San Diego and West region. Whatever your thoughts on the strength of the Pac12, you can't ship the regular and tourney champ. If the committee truly does consider missing players like they say, then we should safely be in SD/West anyways. It seems insane that we're wondering if we are geographically protected when we are safely a 4 in the preview bracket, have been winning since, easily won the Pac12 this year, and only have 3 losses at full strength.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Duke is obviously beatable this year. Lots of good pieces on that team, but it hasn’t worked as well as everyone thought it would back in November. AZ can beat them.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Seeding doesn't matter.

Region doesn't matter.

Match ups do matter, but even there the variables don't add up to match ups mattering for useful projections and hopes.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Only top 4 seeds win the championship, except for UConn of course
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

4 to 3 is a huge jump because you get one more round, if you advance, without the 1, and a chance of them losing to the 4.

Getting a 1 or 4 has considerable difference from the nearly interchangeable 2/3. Would love to crawl up to a 3. Then, yes, matchups matter. But with so few elite teams in basketball, it will be hard even filling all the 1s with teams to fear. I'd much rather be staring at the #2 in the 2nd weekend than a #1...if we can get out of the 1st weekend, of course.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

NYCat wrote:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ASUHATER! wrote:
SabinoDrifter wrote:those turds in Tempe would be an interesting case if they were to lose today...
if they lose they are like the definition of a bubble team to study for the committee as a thought experiment. good wins in ooc, bad conference and conference result. very bubbly SOS and RPI in the 50s/60s.
Yeah Im not seeing how they can get in. Finished tied for 9th in a conference that probably only gets 2 or 3 teams in the tournament. Only won one of their last 6 games, and that was a home game against a brutal Cal team. The Kansas win loses some of its pop when you look at how Kansas was playing (also losing to UW and barely edging another weaker team). As the season has progressed those two wins (incl Xavier) have looked more and more like flukes or getting the right opponent on the wrong night. RPI 62, BPI 47 and Kenpom 44 aren't enough to push them over the edge for the numbers guys either.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ASU is not getting in. Next...
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Would sign off on Palm's current bracketology

4 in west vs Buffalo, winner of NMSU/Ohio State, Kansas is the 1, Creighton/FSU 8/9 a legit chance to beat Kansas in the first weekend.

Other (2/3) side of the bracket features Michigan State, North Carolina, TCU, Rhode Island, Texas...

Annnd...no ASU
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:Would sign off on Palm's current bracketology

4 in west vs Buffalo, winner of NMSU/Ohio State, Kansas is the 1, Creighton/FSU 8/9 a legit chance to beat Kansas in the first weekend.

Other (2/3) side of the bracket features Michigan State, North Carolina, TCU, Rhode Island, Texas...

Annnd...no ASU
I'm scared of Michigan State.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote:
Region doesn't matter.

fast fact: did you know that under the leadership of legendary coach Mike Krzyzewski Duke has been to the Final Four 12 times and that none of those 12 trips came when slotted in the WEST Region.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Annnd...no ASU
If they got through, that would be a tough game. But I could flip KU and MSU and we would be in line to hit them in the S16, and that would be far worse than this design.

Plus, with all of Michigan State's problems, we might not be the focus of all the "they are evil" discussion

But, yeah...I figure we would have to play someone tough somewhere. I'd just rather have MSU on the other side of the regional and Kansas on ours than vice versa. I like the set up if we have to be a 4. I wouldn't want to be a 3 in their 2 region, tho.
prh

Post by prh »

97cats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Region doesn't matter.

fast fact: did you know that under the leadership of legendary coach Mike Krzyzewski Duke has been to the Final Four 12 times and that none of those 12 trips came when slotted in the WEST Region.
I learned that the last time we met them in the West. Would love to do it again
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

97cats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Region doesn't matter.

I know we all know the NCAA rigs this shit to create TV worthy match-ups instead of "purely" seeding the tournament... I know we know East Coast bias is a thing...

But goddamn does it still get under my skin that Duke (and others) get this kind of deference and we're all supposed to act like they're basketball gods.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Region doesn't matter.

Oh, I know for a fact that Duke has never made it out of the west. And yet I still don't believe that's because of the flight time or time zone or anything else associated with their placement in that region.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Sexton scores the last three possessions, including the game winning layup, to win the game vs. A&M.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

97cats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Region doesn't matter.

When's the last time Arizona made the FF while placed in the West? I honestly don't know the answer, but something tells me it isn't great.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

rgdeuce wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Yeah Im not seeing how they can get in. Finished tied for 9th in a conference that probably only gets 2 or 3 teams in the tournament. Only won one of their last 6 games, and that was a home game against a brutal Cal team. The Kansas win loses some of its pop when you look at how Kansas was playing (also losing to UW and barely edging another weaker team). As the season has progressed those two wins (incl Xavier) have looked more and more like flukes or getting the right opponent on the wrong night. RPI 62, BPI 47 and Kenpom 44 aren't enough to push them over the edge for the numbers guys either.
The best part about all of this is now they get to sit and wait as more and more bids get stolen. :D
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Annnd...no ASU
Do NOT want to see them til the final four. One of only 3(?) teams who are top 20 in both adjO and adjD, and we have seen far less superior Izzo teams go to final fours. Yeah, no thanks.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

cats101 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
The best part about all of this is now they get to sit and wait as more and more bids get stolen. :D
Making them sweat, then giving them the bad news will be the ultimate timeline. Lmao