2018 PAC 12 Tournament--TMobile Arena

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

zonagrad

Re: 2018 PAC 12 Tournament--TMobile Arena

Post by zonagrad »

Longhorned wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Gotta beat those a-holes tomorrow. I hate Alford.
Gonna need to figure out how to contain Holiday, and the answer is unlikely to be "PJC."
Do you double him and make the other guys beat you, or let him go for 40?

He's clearly the hottest player in the Pac at the moment, so Miller has his work cut out prepping for tomorrow. I don't trust any of our guards to stay with him.
We've all been at this watching-on-our-asses long enough to know how this goes down. You don't adjust by way of personnel or the system. In the second go-around, you don't stick Ashley on Kaminsky, and not expect Ashley to get sent to the bench with his second foul with 18:00 to go in the first half. No. You stick with what you've got, and ride it. And you try to put together a solid game within your system.

1) You live with the hell of trying to defend Holliday.

2) You don't let Welsh control the boards and get a double-double. No. One of your two 7-footers outrebounds Welsh this time around.

3) You don't let Gigi Goloman stretch the floor and take over the game. You say, "No. That's Gigi Goloman, not George Gervin. I'm going to break this schoolboy."

4) You don't let Hands go nuts from the perimeter in the first half.

5) You don't let Rawle have a black hole game like he did against UCLA last time. That right there alone is the difference between winning and losing, even if 2-4 somehow go wrong again.

6) You don't let Ayton have the kind of sub-par game he had against ULCA last time, and Colorado last night. Time to get him touches, and time for the best player in college basketball to step up and play like he can.

7) You defend with intensity this time.

It's not about adjustments. It's about doing the things you do better this time around. You do some of 1-7 better this time and you beat UCLA.

Full stop.
Yep, pretty much. It's almost like a football game. Are you gonna let the guy lining up across from you beat you? Because we played like crap against the Bruins at McKale. If I'm not mistaken, I think Ayton was battling some illness that week and little was made of it. I'm sure he's been reminded that was his poorest game in recent memory. So I think that motivation is enough. The wildcard, as usual, is our own point guard play. I never know what we're going to get.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Flop-fest going on rn between Oregon/Utah. Brown with the best one yet.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Pac 12 refs are showing their shittyness in Vegas. Brutal.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Bye bye Utah
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Oregon sure does love these come from behind wins.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Kenny Wooten is good
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Officiating down the stretch was awful, allowing Oregon back in the game. Utah choked away a nice lead but the refs did them no favors by getting Oregon to the line on a bunch of questionable calls.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Not that I’m complaining but I got the ariozna game as an encore instead of the live Oregon game last night. (I dvr Arizona games and rewatch during my morning work outs)
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Not that I’m complaining but I got the ariozna game as an encore instead of the live Oregon game last night. (I dvr Arizona games and rewatch during my morning work outs)
I did too, but I found the Oregon/Utah on FS1 instead. WHY? I have no idea. You would think the Pac 12 Networks would want all games. (I think it was the same the past couple of years where the last game of the day was on another channel).

Mr. Scott, do you have an answer?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Gotta beat those a-holes tomorrow. I hate Alford.
Gonna need to figure out how to contain Holiday, and the answer is unlikely to be "PJC."
Do you double him and make the other guys beat you, or let him go for 40?

He's clearly the hottest player in the Pac at the moment, so Miller has his work cut out prepping for tomorrow. I don't trust any of our guards to stay with him.
We've all been at this watching-on-our-asses long enough to know how this goes down. You don't adjust by way of personnel or the system. In the second go-around, you don't stick Ashley on Kaminsky, and not expect Ashley to get sent to the bench with his second foul with 18:00 to go in the first half. No. You stick with what you've got, and ride it. And you try to put together a solid game within your system.

1) You live with the hell of trying to defend Holliday.

2) You don't let Welsh control the boards and get a double-double. No. One of your two 7-footers outrebounds Welsh this time around.

3) You don't let Gigi Goloman stretch the floor and take over the game. You say, "No. That's Gigi Goloman, not George Gervin. I'm going to break this schoolboy."

4) You don't let Hands go nuts from the perimeter in the first half.

5) You don't let Rawle have a black hole game like he did against UCLA last time. That right there alone is the difference between winning and losing, even if 2-4 somehow go wrong again.

6) You don't let Ayton have the kind of sub-par game he had against ULCA last time, and Colorado last night. Time to get him touches, and time for the best player in college basketball to step up and play like he can.

7) You defend with intensity this time.

It's not about adjustments. It's about doing the things you do better this time around. You do some of 1-7 better this time and you beat UCLA.

Full stop.
I agree with this. We can beat UCLA and should beat UCLA. We didn't the first time through because we didn't play well, not because we're not good enough or because we need to adjust strategy.

We got outrebounded most of the game, and that should never happen. They shot significantly better from 3 and from the field than we did. When you don't match them in any phase of the game, that's pretty much just a call to be better, period.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

As much as I hate Alford he generally has his teams ready to go by March...Holiday is good, but it's not like the first time we've played against a good point guard, Welsh is basically Ristic with a corner three and I don't see them triple teaming Ayton which means he gets 24+...

The only issue I see is if Trier is cold, PJC turns the ball over, or we get into foul trouble early...or all three...

The refs in this tourney have been the worst...it is a shitstorm of hacking anytime Ayton touches the ball and he is not allowed to come down in his own space without being called for it as an offensive foul...

And one more thing...Fuck Larry Scott and ESPN.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CatFanOneMil wrote:As much as I hate Alford he generally has his teams ready to go by March...Holiday is good, but it's not like the first time we've played against a good point guard, Welsh is basically Ristic with a corner three and I don't see them triple teaming Ayton which means he gets 24+...

The only issue I see is if Trier is cold, PJC turns the ball over, or we get into foul trouble early...or all three...

The refs in this tourney have been the worst...it is a shitstorm of hacking anytime Ayton touches the ball and he is not allowed to come down in his own space without being called for it as an offensive foul...

Trier won't be cold today. I think he's pretty locked in right now. Holiday and Welsh are gonna score. It's just what they do. I think the key is making sure a third guy doesn't go off. Make no mistake, we are better than UCLA. We just haven't played consistently, and we did not play well at McKale vs. the Bruins last month. I think we lost that game more than they won it, if you subscribe to that logic.

AZ by 5.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatFanOneMil wrote:As much as I hate Alford he generally has his teams ready to go by March...Holiday is good, but it's not like the first time we've played against a good point guard, Welsh is basically Ristic with a corner three and I don't see them triple teaming Ayton which means he gets 24+...

Now's when the tournament mentality needs to kick in. Guys like PJC and Rawle who can be up and down need to be up.

Our D has looked a little better, and that needs to continue. Holiday is good, but this time of year, younhave to face good players. This isn't really about strategy now, it's about meeting the challenge.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Since the UCLA loss we've only given up more than 70 points once, in the Oregon game without Trier or Miller coaching. Continue that trend and we can definitely win
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UCLA is the only Pac team we haven't beat already this year. I know I wanted to play them for payback and I think our team did as well.

And Ayton had a subpar game yesterday.... I wouldn't bet on 2 in a row.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Holiday scares the dickens out of me in this game, particularly on a neutral floor -- PJC with a very positive game yesterday, he will be tested again.

i dont expect a sleepwalking DeAndre Ayton again either.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:Holiday scares the dickens out of me in this game, particularly on a neutral floor -- PJC with a very positive game yesterday, he will be tested again.

i dont expect a sleepwalking DeAndre Ayton again either.
No one's hotter than Holiday right now. He's at a Kemba Walker level. It's never easy to get past a player like that so late in the season.

But top to bottom, we're the better team. If Ayton does what he's capable of, PJC has another solid game, turnovers are low, and we hit FTs, I think we win a close game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I agree with 97, Holiday looks unstoppable. I was surprised when I saw the book open the line at AZ -4.5 and now I am even more shocked it has moved to -5.5

Of course it could be that there are 10K AZ fans here pushing the line up against about 1000 bruin faithful (can we call there fans that?)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA is traditionally bad away from home, under Alford
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bug getting an early start on his “woe to UCLA playing Arizona” passive aggressive posting for tong It game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

MrBug708 wrote:UCLA is traditionally bad away from home, under Alford
Except when they play in Tucson
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Not sure I agree on Alford :lol:
2014: Took over a loaded UCLA team that got a 4 seed. Beat 13 seed Tulsa and were gifted 12 seed Steven A Austin before losing in sweet 16 by double digits to 1 seed Florida.
2015: Beat 6 seed SMU on a complete horseshit/lucky goaltending call that wasnt even close, and then beat a gift 14 seed UAB before losing by double digits to Gonzaga in sweet 16.
2016: No appearance
2017: Very strong team, beat a 14 and 6 as a 3 seed and lost in the sweet 16 by double digits to 2 seed Kentucky.

So basically, three sweet 16s, all those games lost by double digits. Their only win against a higher seed came off a blown goaltending call in 2015 wherein they should have been sent home with a first round loss.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:
Then they play their best game of the year

BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Goloman going for 16 and Hands hitting some daggers hurt us along with the fact that Rawle was nonexistent. I think if we control the boards, and limit Holiday to 20, we'll be fine.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Bug getting an early start on his “woe to UCLA playing Arizona” passive aggressive posting for tong It game.
Haha. In 5 years, Alford has 3 road sweeps. All last year with Lonzo Ball. Time to give it a rest.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azcat49 wrote:
Sellouts are overrated.

Wait, was that passive aggressive? :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:

2014: Took over a loaded UCLA team that got a 4 seed. Beat 13 seed Tulsa and were gifted 12 seed Steven A Austin before losing in sweet 16 by double digits to 1 seed Florida.
2015: Beat 6 seed SMU on a complete horseshit/lucky goaltending call that wasnt even close, and then beat a gift 14 seed UAB before losing by double digits to Gonzaga in sweet 16.
2017: Very strong team, beat a 14 and 6 as a 3 seed and lost in the sweet 16 by double digits to 2 seed Kentucky.

So basically, three sweet 16s, all those games lost by double digits. Their only win against a higher seed came off a blown goaltending call in 2015 wherein they should have been sent home with a first round loss.
I see Alford like this. In the regular season, he underachieves. Come postseason, the results come closer to mirroring the talent level.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

rgdeuce wrote:

Tell em
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

rgdeuce wrote:

Don't forget ucla should not have even been in the tournament in one of those years and debatable on another year
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

U of A fans are out in FORCE in Vegas. Last night after a couple drinks I think I went up to every U of A fan I saw and Said "Fuck ESPN and Bear Down"....some women in her 60's told me she wanted to kick Jay Bilas in his balls. I love U of A fans!
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Newportcat wrote:U of A fans are out in FORCE in Vegas. Last night after a couple drinks I think I went up to every U of A fan I saw and Said "Fuck ESPN and Bear Down"....some women in her 60's told me she wanted to kick Jay Bilas in his balls. I love U of A fans!
This is everything to me. :D
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

What I would love to see happen is for us to avenge 3 of our 4 PAC-12 losses -- Rado, UCLA, and Oregon. If it went down that way, do you think it would have any impact on how the selection committee views us?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

BBQ wildcat wrote:What I would love to see happen is for us to avenge 3 of our 4 PAC-12 losses -- Rado, UCLA, and Oregon. If it went down that way, do you think it would have any impact on how the selection committee views us?
I have half a mind to say the selection committee doesn't care about anything after January.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Longhorned wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:What I would love to see happen is for us to avenge 3 of our 4 PAC-12 losses -- Rado, UCLA, and Oregon. If it went down that way, do you think it would have any impact on how the selection committee views us?
I have half a mind to say the selection committee doesn't care about anything after January.
It sure will seem like it if ASsU gets in. But avenging 3 of our losses would still be very, very sweet.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Most important question - did Olsondogg have a beer with Machina?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:Most important question - did Olsondogg have a beer with Machina?
To be clear he said he'd buy him one, not drink one with him.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

No picture = never happened.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Congrats guys. Owned the OT
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:Congrats guys. Owned the OT
Thanks. I was worried UCLA was just a bad matchup for us. Good luck on Sunday, I hope you guys get in.

Two down, one left.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What the hell did we do?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UCLA should get in and they have the talent to win some games.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Somebody once said...win the Pac 12 regular season championship, win the Pac 12 Tourney and its' a 3 seed in the West.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote:
What the hell did we do?
I don't know about you, but I Bear Down'd pretty damn hard.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Alieberman wrote:UCLA should get in and they have the talent to win some games.
First time I've seen Welch in person - he's a gopd player, and an awesome rebounder - credit where credit is due...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I hope we get a shot at Oregon again. If we can show the committee a regular season title, tournament title, a 5-0 finish to the season and wins over 3 of the teams that beat us in the tournament, that definitely gets a 3 seed.

SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SunnyAZ wrote:
Hell yeah!
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

UCLA will surprise alot of folks. I will tell you that handoff action they run between Welsh and Holiday at the top of the key is deadly. They can score on that one play almost every time. Clearly a tourney team.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

KO is hilarious tonight, said he got run out of Tucson