South Region: #4 Seed

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Lute4God

Re: South Region: #4 Seed

Post by Lute4God »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Lute4God wrote:Even if Ayton is missing on his post jumper we have the high low with Ristic feeding, which to me is option 1A: If they come out on Ristic the lob to Ayton is unstoppable. If they don't Ristic is hitting that shot maybe even better than Ayton!
Yeah we've seen a lot of Ayton to Ristic passing this year but I'm loving the Ristic to Ayton passing that I've seen recently.

Ristic had a crucial one to Ayton in the P12T that was just unstoppable - one seven footer to another.
Against zone, Ayton and Ristic have become interchangeable from the high post. They can both stick the J and Dusan has become a better passer from that range.
The whole team came together in the P12 tourney focused to feed the post. Even Trier was happy to pass up on shots to work the ball inside. I am sure there will be a game where Trier gets dialed in and wins it for us, but right now it's great to see everyone working together on offense.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Lute4God wrote:The whole team came together in the P12 tourney focused to feed the post. Even Trier was happy to pass up on shots to work the ball inside. I am sure there will be a game where Trier gets dialed in and wins it for us, but right now it's great to see everyone working together on offense.
Not sure who else caught this, but Trier and Rawle were chumming it up pretty good after the USC game. Doesn't mean they're now BFFs, but I think they're past whatever BS was cropping up recently.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

Few things that worry me and what I think we will need.

Our defense is still a work in progress. We are no longer seeing entire halves of poor/downright awful defense and we are not seeing even 10 minutes. However, we still have the 4-7 minute stretches where a team will outscore us by 8-12 points without going on a huge run by just making 7 shots in a row type of thing while we make 2 or 3.

Dillon Smith, needs to hit the open 3 at least twice a game. He is fully capable. It will open the lane up for our big guys. I think 5-7 threes for the team is good as long as its 15 shot attemps or less.

The one thing I notice year in/year out is the offensive charge foul. It kills teams because it is usually the teams best player(s) as the defense knows to flop against them and they typically have the ball near or driving to the rim. It seems to always lead to foul trouble and cautious play thereafter. I love what I have been seeing out of Trier (and Rawle should be doing with his awful floater) which is the mid-lane lob to Ayton when the defense collapses. Trier hasn't been taking it to the rim and avoids the charges and he has to draw the defenders. This is especially true with pack line teams like Virginia.
Last edited by jajoyce on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

jajoyce wrote:Few things that worry me and what I think we will need.

Our defense is still a work in progress. We are no longer seeing entire halves of poor/downright awful defense and we are not seeing even 10 minutes. However, we still have the 4-7 minute stretches where a team will outscore us by 8-12 points without going on a huge run by just making 7 shots in a row type of thing while we make 2 or 3.

Dillon Smith, needs to hit the open 3 at least twice a game. He is fully capable. It will open the lane up for our big guys. I think 5-7 threes for the team is good as long as its 15 shots 3's attempted or less.

The one thing I notice year in/year out is the offensive charge foul. It kills teams because it is usually the teams best player(s) as the defense knows to flop against them and they typically have the ball near or driving to the rim. It seems to always lead to foul trouble and cautious play thereafter. I love what I have been seeing out of Trier (and Rawle should be doing with his awful floater) which is the mid-lane lob to Ayton when the defense collapses. Trier hasn't been taking it to the rim and avoids the charges and he has to draw the defenders. This is especially true with pack line teams like Virginia.
Dylan is better when he can get a dribble and a 15 footer. He always makes those, but has been very off from 3. I'd like to see him try the midrange to get going.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/3/ ... rgia-state" target="_blank
No. 13 Buffalo Bulls vs. No. 4 Arizona Wildcats

Arizona enters the tournament as the Pac-12 champions with a 27-7 record. They feature 7’1 consensus All-American Deandre Ayton who could be the No. 1 overall pick in the NBA draft.

Buffalo got into the tournament by winning the MAC with a 26-8 record. The Bulls feature a quartet of scorers who all averaged between 14.6 to 16.9 points per game highlighted by 6’3 Jr. guard CJ Massinburg and 6’8 Jr. forward Nick Perkins who were both named first team all-conference.

The Pac-12 hasn’t been as good this year as it has in years past, and that was evident by the selection committee only giving Arizona a No. 4 seed as a major conference champion.

The Wildcats have struggled in neutral site games. They lost three games in a row in the Bahamas back in November to NC State, SMU and Purdue; they’ll be playing against Buffalo on a neutral site in Boise, ID.

Buffalo ranks No. 7 in the country in scoring offense (84.8 points per game), and they rank No. 21 in 3-point field goals made. To translate those stats for you; Buffalo can shoot from anywhere and they can score in bunches. And although Sean Miller has made Arizona a tough defensive team in years past, this year’s squad has struggled on defense.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

g32knights wrote:Is anyone else as happy as I am that they aren't in the West? They've blown opportunities the last how many times they've been in that region? Glad to be in a different region.
I mean... it really opened up my weekends for the next two weeks. Living in Orange County I'm normally at every West regional game we play, typically with a belly full of bourbon and butterflies.

This year I'm gonna "let the game come to me."
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:That’s what I’m saying. Fuck foreplay let’s just get it on.

We’re either ready to rail or not. Let’s go.
Fuck it, to make a Final Four you have to beat great teams. If we do it a bit earlier, great.

Also who knows, watch Kentucky lose to Davidson!

We got fucked but we got fucked by ESPN and did the best thing which is say Fuck you back.

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:No clue who we put on Kevin Knox (6'9" with a 7ft wingspan).
This is the match-up that scares me the most if we get to play them. A legit athlete with length who can put the ball on the floor. If you use Rawle, you are giving up size. If Dus ends up on him, Jesus. No, just no with Ayton. Trier?

Maybe PJC can run under him and twist his ankle?

Beyond that, their non-descript season and SEC run and ours have similarities, except we had legit reasons that seem to have been released recently, while they have just been inconsistent.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

If it weren't for the Bahamas trip I would have had a 4 day weekend on the beach planned for San Diego months ago. Damn...thanks?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Got my ticket to the Boise dance! My outlook for this week is on the upswing!

Bear Down.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
This is the match-up that scares me the most if we get to play them. A legit athlete with length who can put the ball on the floor. If you use Rawle, you are giving up size. If Dus ends up on him, Jesus. No, just no with Ayton. Trier?

Beyond that, their non-descript season and SEC run and ours have similarities, except we had legit reasons that seem to have been released recently, while they have just been inconsistent.
Knox doesn't super freak me out. Unless I missed it, he is mostly a perimeter guy without a highly developed post game. If he could really do it in the post, I'd worry more, but he's not dominant down there. I think Rawle and Akot can do ok. He's a good player and will get his, but I don't think he beats us solo if we play good team D.

I'm more worried about their 3 point shooting. They have a bunch of guys, but no snipers. If they start stroking it, though, that's a big problem.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

16 things to know about NCAA tournament's South region, plus who wins

https://sports.yahoo.com/16-things-know ... 26332.html" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

So, if the first round goes chalk Arizona will play Kentucky in the south region in Idaho. :roll:
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EVCat wrote:

Knox doesn't super freak me out. Unless I missed it, he is mostly a perimeter guy without a highly developed post game. If he could really do it in the post, I'd worry more, but he's not dominant down there. I think Rawle and Akot can do ok. He's a good player and will get his, but I don't think he beats us solo if we play good team D.

I'm more worried about their 3 point shooting. They have a bunch of guys, but no snipers. If they start stroking it, though, that's a big problem.
Knox definitely scares me.

On a positive note... as bad as we have been at protecting the ball, they are worse and assist the ball at a much lower rate. With the way our defensive intensity has elevated, I like that match up.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azgreg wrote:So, if the first round goes chalk Arizona will play Kentucky in the south region in Idaho. :roll:
Has any Wildcat team beat 2 Wildcat teams in 3 days before?

I doubt it.

I like our chances.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Recently Acquired Outlaw Image (RAOI) would make a killer band name.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe wrote:Recently Acquired Outlaw Image (RAOL) would make a killer band name.
Wouldn't that be (RAOI)?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yes, yes it would.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
Well, UK is definitely advancing now.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:I'm not at all thrilled with our Kentucky match-up. On paper, I'd rather play UVA than UK.

A line-up of 6'6" / 6'5" / 6'7" / 6'9" / 6'11" - all athletes and long - is not ideal for us when we lack anyone of measure between 6'5" and 7'0".

I have no idea what we plan to do about SGA, their 6'6" PG (with a fucking seven foot wingspan) who is hitting on all cylinders right now. No clue who we put on Kevin Knox (6'9" with a 7ft wingspan).

I know we've got guys too but goddamn... this is a match-up nightmare, probably for both teams.
The more that I think about this potential game the more I think we lose. Their length on the wing and backcourt is going to give us problems. Even though Ayton is great, 3pts > 2pts. Virginia would steal the entry passes all day.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

NYCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:I'm not at all thrilled with our Kentucky match-up. On paper, I'd rather play UVA than UK.

A line-up of 6'6" / 6'5" / 6'7" / 6'9" / 6'11" - all athletes and long - is not ideal for us when we lack anyone of measure between 6'5" and 7'0".

I have no idea what we plan to do about SGA, their 6'6" PG (with a fucking seven foot wingspan) who is hitting on all cylinders right now. No clue who we put on Kevin Knox (6'9" with a 7ft wingspan).

I know we've got guys too but goddamn... this is a match-up nightmare, probably for both teams.
The more that I think about this potential game the more I think we lose. Their length on the wing and backcourt is going to give us problems. Even though Ayton is great, 3pts > 2pts. Virginia would steal the entry passes all day.
Davidson's going to beat Kentucky. Also, we still need to get by Buffalo.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Kentucky fans are passionate, I'll give them that' however, I feel that they are forced to stay in the SEC bubble. Yes the Pac-12 may be down this year, but I guarantee that Kentucky would have struggled against the top half of our conference this year. I do think that the PAC-12, though not as talented as past years, doesn't get enough credit and as you could see with ASSU and WASH dominating Kansas with the former beating XAV, we can compete. Lest they forget that we are 2-0 vs the SEC this year as well.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frankly, there's more reality and less homerism than I expected. Most people recognize we lost most of our games without our full squad and the Bahamas was half our losses in 72 hours.

It's fair that Kentucky is good and that they think they can win. That's true.
prh

Post by prh »

It's really just one guy that pushes the narrative that we aren't any good. The rest of them are reasonable.

One thing that's never, ever talked about it how difficult it is to be consistent in the Pac12 because of the travel. SEC play is about equivalent to LA trip or shorter every week.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

prh wrote:It's really just one guy that pushes the narrative that we aren't any good. The rest of them are reasonable.

One thing that's never, ever talked about it how difficult it is to be consistent in the Pac12 because of the travel. SEC play is about equivalent to LA trip or shorter every week.
He's doing it for reassurance. Deep down, he knows that our team is really talented and we're only getting better.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NYCat wrote:

Kentucky, you mean.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

YoDeFoe wrote:
NYCat wrote:

Kentucky, you mean.
Our entry passes are going to be denied either by sagging off PJC and pressuring the ball when it is with our wings. I am interested to see if UK would switch on the screens.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

#13 Buffalo - W
#5 Kentucky - RPI of 10 and plays zone:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Number of points UA scored in the second half of the PAC-12 tournament games vs primarily zone
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

RiseAndFire wrote:#13 Buffalo - W
Yeah...at this point, I want to see zone.

Because zone is a weak ass defense that allows you to kill the offensive boards. Once you figure out to interchange your big men against it on high/low, and not chuck...which we did about a month ago...it is the easiest defense we can face. Especially if it is not a zone-only team.

Because zones suck. They have always been for masking deficiencies.

Even better, if a team wants to zone us and extend pressure like USC, making everything below the circle a one-on-one or better matchup.

Because, again...zones are for the weak. Even better, when they lose Ayton and we just throw the ball at the rim and he catches and lays it in. Or when we get a shit ton of offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points with our bigs...

...because, again...zones are for teams with weaknesses, and they give up the O boards for a prayer of hiding their individual weaknesses.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Since Ristic is near automatic with the mid range J, vs the zone, just park him near the FT line and let him pass out or hit the shot or post up for a near automatic hook shot or pass it to Ayton who is dominant in the post.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NYCat wrote:Since Ristic is near automatic with the mid range J, vs the zone, just park him near the FT line and let him pass out or hit the shot or post up for a near automatic hook shot or pass it to Ayton who is dominant in the post.
Ristic receives the pass... gets doubled... tosses it up towards the basket... Ayton finishes.

Ristic receives the pass... does not get doubled... hits the jumper.

Rinse, repeat.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:

Because zone is a weak ass defense that allows you to kill the offensive boards. Once you figure out to interchange your big men against it on high/low, and not chuck...which we did about a month ago...it is the easiest defense we can face. Especially if it is not a zone-only team.

Even better, if a team wants to zone us and extend pressure like USC, making everything below the circle a one-on-one or better matchup.

Because, again...zones are for the weak. Even better, when they lose Ayton and we just throw the ball at the rim and he catches and lays it in. Or when we get a shit ton of offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points with our bigs...

...because, again...zones are for teams with weaknesses, and they give up the O boards for a prayer of hiding their individual weaknesses.
Ayton feasted on SC's zone. Not having a designated guy to box him out is asking for him to get 8-10 ORB's. We can miss jumpers this year because we have a vacuum cleaner on the offensive glass.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EVCat wrote:

Ayton feasted on SC's zone. Not having a designated guy to box him out is asking for him to get 8-10 ORB's. We can miss jumpers this year because we have a vacuum cleaner on the offensive glass.
Dusan's midrange J if missed is the entry pass to Ayton.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm looking, too, at the size of these teams we could potentially face. Or *will* face with Buffalo.

The Buffs' tallest starter is 6'10 and averages 3.5 boards, 3.6 pts. Not exactly a dominant big.

UK has outstanding size, of course. That is potentially the best frontcourt we'd see in a run to the FF.

Davidson starts a 6'8 guy and a 6'9 guy.

UVA has a 6'10 guy; that's their tallest starter.

Haven't looked at the bottom half of our region yet. Cincy and Tennessee. UT has Bamba, but I think they're going home early.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Virginia's 6th MOY just broke his wrist...Missing the entire tourney. Vanderbilt is likely to miss weekend as well...Things are happening already. Lets fuck Buffalo up and burn the rest of the bracket to the ground
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Travesty these idiot organizers have an EE game potentially in the round of 32.

Oh well let’s get it on.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:Virginia's 6th MOY just broke his wrist...Missing the entire tourney. Vanderbilt is likely to miss weekend as well...Things are happening already. Lets fuck Buffalo up and burn the rest of the bracket to the ground
Virginia 6th man or ACC 6th MOY?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:
BE4RDOWN21 wrote:Virginia's 6th MOY just broke his wrist...Missing the entire tourney. Vanderbilt is likely to miss weekend as well...Things are happening already. Lets fuck Buffalo up and burn the rest of the bracket to the ground
Virginia 6th man or ACC 6th MOY?
Both
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Stay calm and remain focused on the task at hand.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Wow, Hunter is UVAs best athlete by far and the most likely to play in the NBA. He could guard 1-4. Huge blow.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Let's fucking GOOOOOOO!
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

How much is the NCAA freaking out right now? They tried so hard to prevent an Arizona run. I bet they make an announcement today that they are moving us to the Villanova's bracket.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Calm down. Oregon lost Boucher, and promptly lost the PAC 12 tournament last year...and then went to the Final 4.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Olsondogg wrote:Calm down. Oregon lost Boucher, and promptly lost the PAC 12 tournament last year...and then went to the Final 4.
Excellent point. UVA loses key depth, but the core is in tact.

We just have to worry about who's in front of us. Let's beat Buffalo.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Olsondogg wrote:Calm down. Oregon lost Boucher, and promptly lost the PAC 12 tournament last year...and then went to the Final 4.
They were also down by 3 to RIU with 1:50 left before Tyler Dorsey took over with some incredibly difficult and well defended three point shots. That’s why I will continue to doubt UVA until they get a guy that make plays when all goes to hell. It’s damn near impossible to put together six straight “system wins” in the NCAA tournament.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Who knows with the tourney. We could end up playing Creighton in the Sweet 16 who would throw so many junk defenses at us. We could end up playing Davidson in the round of 32 who bombs 3s on us all night.

After losing to Xavier last year I will never get excited about any lower seed, injury, etc.