Really, Mr. Hansen?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: Really, Mr. Hansen?

Post by UAEebs86 »

Ok Pops.

The lie on the radio interview is unforgivable.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

UAEebs86 wrote:Ok Pops.

It really is. The fire department had the 5 alarm fire under control and here comes hansen with the lighter fluid.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:

It really is. The fire department had the 5 alarm fire under control and here comes hansen with the lighter fluid.
This. He needs to go....long overdue IMO.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Yup, but he goes to confession and gets a pass? Fuck him.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:I still don't get it guys and gals, the animosity towards Hansen. At games I've seen him a few times on the sidelines, or at football preseason practices he's on the sidelines, that's about the extent of ever seeing or knowing the guy. What he did was peanuts in the big picture of things. Now I get in general there are those out there who personally took offense to his writings and doings and that in today's culture you must be fired for doing anything wrong by the social lynch mob. He made mistakes. To err is human. Any one of us has, and I just didn't view it as that big of deal, especially what he wrote.

To me he only had one controversial article, the first one when things were breaking, and I took the phrase unless this is a monumental misunderstanding to be a qualifier of the whole article. Maybe that wasn't strong enough for folks I guess. Maybe shame on alot of us for initially blindingly trusting an ESPN article that Friday night. And others of you wanted to see him crying and sobbing on his knees in forgiveness as the only acceptable level of apology. His editors didn't view it as a fire-able offense, didn't seem like it to me either and others wrote in supporting him. He made an acceptable level of apology given his culpability, and to me it's time to move on. Maybe the trust eroded somewhat, but maybe this will refocus him going forward as he finishes out his career.
You think we give that much of a shit about one of his shitty articles?

He went on the radio and flat out lied and in the process piled on to the destruction of a man’s career just for the fuck of it. Just because he could. Because fucking with powerful sports figures’ careers is how he gets his fucking jollies.

Fuck Greg Hansen.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:I still don't get it guys and gals, the animosity towards Hansen. At games I've seen him a few times on the sidelines, or at football preseason practices he's on the sidelines, that's about the extent of ever seeing or knowing the guy. What he did was peanuts in the big picture of things. Now I get in general there are those out there who personally took offense to his writings and doings and that in today's culture you must be fired for doing anything wrong by the social lynch mob. He made mistakes. To err is human. Any one of us has, and I just didn't view it as that big of deal, especially what he wrote.

To me he only had one controversial article, the first one when things were breaking, and I took the phrase unless this is a monumental misunderstanding to be a qualifier of the whole article. Maybe that wasn't strong enough for folks I guess. Maybe shame on alot of us for initially blindingly trusting an ESPN article that Friday night. And others of you wanted to see him crying and sobbing on his knees in forgiveness as the only acceptable level of apology. His editors didn't view it as a fire-able offense, didn't seem like it to me either and others wrote in supporting him. He made an acceptable level of apology given his culpability, and to me it's time to move on. Maybe the trust eroded somewhat, but maybe this will refocus him going forward as he finishes out his career.
He flat out made up stuff from thin air on the radio. He fabricated Book feeding him info, then admitted it never happened in the next article. For a professional journalist, it's a pretty big deal.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I'm sorry but this mindset it a product of the 90"s and the rest of the planet has fucking moved on...

All you have to do is google "fake news" and you see we have a major cultural problem with sensationalism and outrage...and a LOT of this is the product of less than accurate media reporting...

Greg has ONE FUCKING JOB and that is to report the sports news around Tucson, in particular the ONE dominant sports story stream of information and that is UA Basketball...

It is NOT his damn job to create the news.
It is not his fucking job to COLOR the news or BIAS the news or insert his goddam opinion on every nuance of Wildcat Basketball since Lute.

Lute Olson is arguably one of the most respected elder statesman of college hoops and he fucking cut Greg Hansen off because Greg was a turd reporter.

Nothing has fucking changed except we are supposed to honor that because he's been doing the same shitty job for 20 years now.

Greg is intentionally trying to influence the opinion of his readers to a negative sum total on Sean Millers coaching and the rest of the team, if you cannot see that very clear message then you are not reading what he clearly writes.

The "joke" about PJC going in the draft is not simply insulting, it is probably hurtful to some degree to a kid who has done everything and anything asked of him in discipline and respect who obviously loves the sport of basketball and has maintained a spotless reputation and carried himself with dignity in spite of not winning the genetic lottery, for Greg to single him out as the butt of a joke about going to the NBA is not simply insensitive it is complete fucking idiocy and a grown ass man should know better.

Greg behaves like a fucking child...not even new college graduates act so stupid...because they know in todays social media driven world NOTHING gets forgotten.

Greg thinks he can get away being s shit poster and we will forgive or at least forget.

He's wrong.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Hansen crossed the line (by a lot) when he wrote a column that Miller cannot be the coach at Arizona any longer. And I'm super surprised that an editor didn't tap the brakes and say he'd gone too far. Because he did. His apology was only qualified with an "if it's true" comment. But by then, it was far too late.

The comments from Miller in the post-championship game presser at the very end were telling. Miller described that Arizona fans have an understanding of the program because of what Lute built. Arizona fans know that if Miller did offer to pay a recruit, that yes, he'd be gone. But Arizona fans also understand that you're gonna need to bring a little more to the table than an unnamed source and nothing else. Arizona fans want to see the cards on the table. And Hansen committed a huge journalistic error, even for an opinion columnist. He's walked a fine line before by taking shots at Lute and now Miller.

We're a protective bunch us Arizona fans. We're loyal as fuck. Arizona hoops is like the Corleone family. We're forgiving and understanding. But don't ever take sides against the family. Ever.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

CatFanOneMil and zonagrad are SPOT ON 100%! Well-stated folks.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Hansen: I lied, my bad. Can't we all just move on?

No. Fuck off and die.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Hansen: I lied, my bad. Can't we all just move on?

No. Fuck off and die.
For real.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:Hansen crossed the line (by a lot) when he wrote a column that Miller cannot be the coach at Arizona any longer. And I'm super surprised that an editor didn't tap the brakes and say he'd gone too far. Because he did. His apology was only qualified with an "if it's true" comment. But by then, it was far too late.

The comments from Miller in the post-championship game presser at the very end were telling. Miller described that Arizona fans have an understanding of the program because of what Lute built. Arizona fans know that if Miller did offer to pay a recruit, that yes, he'd be gone. But Arizona fans also understand that you're gonna need to bring a little more to the table than an unnamed source and nothing else. Arizona fans want to see the cards on the table. And Hansen committed a huge journalistic error, even for an opinion columnist. He's walked a fine line before by taking shots at Lute and now Miller.

We're a protective bunch us Arizona fans. We're loyal as fuck. Arizona hoops is like the Corleone family. We're forgiving and understanding. But don't ever take sides against the family. Ever.
See, I would have forgiven that. I've been critical of Hansen's takes ever since the FBI report broke. He pushed that angle so hard with so few facts that it crossed the line into scandal mongering pretty fast. That said, as much as I disagree, and opinion writer can decide what issues to push. It just made him an opinion writer with poor, repetitive opinions.

When he said Miller should not be allowed to coach ever, I still felt that was an opinion. It was a poorly informed rush to judgment, but still an opinion, just a bad one.

The radio interview, he crossed from opinions into asserting BS facts. Then, he tried to bury that in an apology that was all about people not liking him supposedly because he was harsh on Miller.

Look, if the Star wants to run bad, knee jerk opinions, that's their business. It's easy for me to skip reading them. The radio stuff is legit fabrication and I don't think news organizations should tolerate people who fabricate stories.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

From a journalistic standpoint, he should have been, minimum, suspended for a couple of weeks, and in the best interest of the paper's sports section, asked to retire shortly after his silence with a "what Tucson has meant to me" column.

The problem is the editor, Ryan Finley, was in awe of Greg when he was a cub reporter, and looks to the guy as a mentor. Finley made an absolute ass of himself on Twitter in the days following this fiasco. It was clear that Greg is family to him, and it doesn't matter that he either outed a source under federal indictment or lied about the whole thing on Phoenix radio, a station with affiliation to a much larger national network.

Both are fireable offenses at any decent newspaper. The "I'm a columnist, so I don't break news...this is just my opinion" bit doesn't work here...he was trying to break news. The "I am writing this in a "blog" as you kids say, so even though my name is Greg Hansen and I am a columnist for a real newspaper, I can speculate and say anything here" isn't applicable.

So, what Ryan Finley is saying is "he's my boy...fuck you."

Shannon (Conner) would have had his a** handed to him immediately. But she isn't sports editor any longer.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:From a journalistic standpoint, he should have been, minimum, suspended for a couple of weeks, and in the best interest of the paper's sports section, asked to retire shortly after his silence with a "what Tucson has meant to me" column.

The problem is the editor, Ryan Finley, was in awe of Greg when he was a cub reporter, and looks to the guy as a mentor. Finley made an absolute ass of himself on Twitter in the days following this fiasco. It was clear that Greg is family to him, and it doesn't matter that he either outed a source under federal indictment or lied about the whole thing on Phoenix radio, a station with affiliation to a much larger national network.

Both are fireable offenses at any decent newspaper. The "I'm a columnist, so I don't break news...this is just my opinion" bit doesn't work here...he was trying to break news. The "I am writing this in a "blog" as you kids say, so even though my name is Greg Hansen and I am a columnist for a real newspaper, I can speculate and say anything here" isn't applicable.

So, what Ryan Finley is saying is "he's my boy...fuck you."

Shannon (Conner) would have had his a** handed to him immediately. But she isn't sports editor any longer.
Check our Greg's response to this tweet and look at who liked Greg's tweet. Finley thinks the guy can truly do no wrong.

https://twitter.com/DSJBWC/status/973248082933514240" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Oh it's a joke! It's just some light ribbing. Like...

"The finalists in the beauty contest are Pretty Penny, Cute Kate, and Ugly Ursula... just kidding, of course not Ugly Ursula lol!"

What a fun joke.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Here's another metaphor.

If you come to my house and open palm slap me for no good reason, you lose the right to "just joke around" with my little brother. Mostly just shut the fuck up and stay out of my way.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Fuck Hansen, Finley and the whole star staff at this point. Fuck Colombo too if he wants to go down with that shithole.

Their new "investigative reporter" is for shit as well.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Hansen is a douchetard
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I feel like we should block all Tucson.com articles, links, and tweets. There is zero reason to give that rag site hits and engagement.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
krissyp

Post by krissyp »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Looks like family members are weighing on this and it's disgusting.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

krissyp wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

Link?
krissyp

Post by krissyp »

CalStateTempe wrote:

Link?
krissyp

Post by krissyp »

And guess who liked it.....
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Wow the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

krissyp wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Link?
Complaining on Twitter and calling other people crybabies is sort of ironic.

Greg Hansen is a public figure. People can rip on his reporting, much as he can rip on Sean Miller.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

He's gonna wiggle off the hook now that people let up. PJC's pops should catch him slipping and check his ass.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:He's gonna wiggle off the hook now that people let up. PJC's pops should catch him slipping and check his ass.
I could see that happening, almost. Ramon don't play.

I was involved in one of those twitter "discussions" Finley jumped in. He just embarrassed himself as a journalist. But that "if only hardcore fans (you) know I am wrong but no one else does, it doesn't matter" attitude was one I experienced directly from Greg Hansen upon getting to Tucson, so I expect it runs through the family, or journalism family, tree.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think it is covered by the fabric in which they profess to be governed. First there is a clear section in their code of ethics that covers fabrication. It was violate when Hansen said he talked to Book. Imagine at work you just made shit up about someone and lied to the news about it. Secondly does anyone believe Hansen followed this clearly stated principle:

"Every effort should be made to obtain a prompt, complete reply when an
accusation is made against an individual, company or institution. We must make
significant efforts to reach anyone who may be portrayed in a negative way, and
we must give them a reasonable amount of time to get back to us before we
publish." T

That is what they are bound by. Hansen is a hack and only looks to promote himself. He needs to go.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I feel really bad for Ben that Greg is his Dad and Jake is his brother.

I fucking hate Greg Hansen and am praying he "retires" soon
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

This guy man. Either he knows exactly what he's doing or he is just that stupid.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Total jackass
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

btfd16 wrote: This guy man. Either he knows exactly what he's doing or he is just that stupid.
The newspaper version of Rise and Fire.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

He’s totally checked out like the main dude in office space.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Would love to see some of the comments back at him. Bet its brutal
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

That tweet is really offensive for a sports writer covering UA sports. He actively cheers against the Cats and needs to be thrown out of town.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Such a turd
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

he's a douchebag, this isn't news, nor is it surprising at this point.

the fact he wasn't fired for making up a whopper of a lie on radio tells you that to those who employ him nothing matters anymore.

the UofA should completely freeze him out of any access to anyone within the program.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

azcat49 wrote:Would love to see some of the comments back at him. Bet its brutal
yep.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

He's the @phillyfansince88 of sports news.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

zonagrad wrote:
btfd16 wrote: This guy man. Either he knows exactly what he's doing or he is just that stupid.
Would not surprise me if they are one of the same.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

jajoyce wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Would not surprise me if they are one of the same.
Hmmm... Starting to connect the dots. Maybe a son? Now we're cooking.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Not only is this priceless and that he wont respond to anyone but SH now but that Greg liked it says it all.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Fire this asshole already
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Greg is doing what he was hired to do, get people talking about him and his articles. Every web hit is a win for the ADS.

Like the old adage goes, I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote:Greg is doing what he was hired to do, get people talking about him and his articles. Every web hit is a win for the ADS.

Like the old adage goes, I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right.
"It's Hansen, with two Ss, as in A-S-S-H-O-L-E."

OK, got it.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Gotta love No Easy Buckets

-JB
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Mike Luke's burner account.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jake Fischer is a Trumper?
-JB