South Region: #4 Seed

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: South Region: #4 Seed

Post by Olsondogg »

UofAlum05 wrote:Who knows with the tourney. We could end up playing Creighton in the Sweet 16 who would throw so many junk defenses at us. We could end up playing Davidson in the round of 32 who bombs 3s on us all night.

After losing to Xavier last year I will never get excited about any lower seed, injury, etc.

All of this. We are Arizona fans of course. I won't go through what should and should not happen in the NCAA.

That's my point.

As Miller said, we are in a 4 team mini tournament this year, where the losers go home. Virginia is not even in that mini tournament.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

don't know if you guys talked about this yet but Hunter is out for UVA for the whole tourney. Probably their best NBA prospect.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

UofAlum05 wrote:Who knows with the tourney. We could end up playing Creighton in the Sweet 16 who would throw so many junk defenses at us. We could end up playing Davidson in the round of 32 who bombs 3s on us all night.

After losing to Xavier last year I will never get excited about any lower seed, injury, etc.
Agreed - I was so hyped for our bracket last year, finally had it break our way, and we squandered it

So, this year, come what may
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

How is Virginias depth? I like Bennett seems like a class guy at least the last 7 years...

Kentucky has been playing zone, I beg them to play zone against us...
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

CatFanOneMil wrote:How is Virginias depth? I like Bennett seems like a class guy at least the last 7 years...

They play a pack-line like we do but just much better than we do. Hunter is BY FAR their most talented/athletic player. The team is solid all the way around but a lot of times the tourney comes down to pure talent.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CatFanOneMil wrote:How is Virginias depth? I like Bennett seems like a class guy at least the last 7 years...

They have 6 guys (including Hunter) that play double digit minutes with 3 of them playing 30 minutes plus.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

They've played 8 guys the last 5 games and Hunter was the most productive by far. Huge blow for them. Next man up or stick with 7...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

God I hope we can get by Buffalo and Kentucky
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

UofAlum05 wrote:

They play a pack-line like we do but just much better than we do. Hunter is BY FAR their most talented/athletic player. The team is solid all the way around but a lot of times the tourney comes down to pure talent.
I know that much, my question is how deep are they?

Losing the sixth man, who was really their only NBA ready guy, who provided the "break the zone" offense (which does not apply to us) to score...seems to me he might be the close game tie breaker...

On average they don't score a ton and hold opponents to below 70, so its a slower paced half court game...in a battle of slow paced games the average is going to go down for everyone...so his 9-12 points a game sounds like the difference maker in close games...

So whats the bench depth here, do they have other scorers who can make up what he will not be bringing?

They suffocate on defense...good ball movement against them will erode their legs...not having bench depth might affect the shooting ability late in games.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

CalStateTempe wrote:God I hope we can get by Buffalo and Kentucky
I was taking the zen “what will be will be approach” but maybe it’s because it’s tournament eve, or with this VA news, but dammit we are so fucking due for some love from the basketball gods.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Cats heading to the airport. Or maybe driving? Its only 17hrs... ;)

Taco Bell Arena: 12,644 capacity

CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Jefe wrote:Cats heading to the airport. Or maybe driving? Its only 17hrs... ;)

17 hours, hell thats like going to LA for some fans...I expect a good turnout of the fanbase...
prh

Post by prh »

This is one situation we should be thankful that Calipari is all about his guys getting to the NBA. Says he won't play Vanderbilt at 85-90% and I tend to believe him.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

prh wrote:This is one situation we should be thankful that Calipari is all about his guys getting to the NBA. Says he won't play Vanderbilt at 85-90% and I tend to believe him.
You know, this is the reason I vehemently disagree with people who think anything about Cal is bad. I think the guy does things the right way (note, this does not mean NOT paying recruits) and always cares for his guys over everything else.
Last edited by dcZONAfan on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dcZONAfan wrote:
prh wrote:This is one situation we should be thankful that Calipari is all about his guys getting to the NBA. Says he won't play Vanderbilt at 85-90% and I tend to believe him.
You know, this is the reason I vehemently disagree with people who think anything about Cal is bad. I think the guy does things the right way (note, this does not mean NOT paying record) and always cares for his guys over everything else.
I agree with this.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Calipari is the best AD Arizona ever had.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

dcZONAfan wrote:
You know, this is the reason I vehemently disagree with people who think anything about Cal is bad. I think the guy does things the right way (note, this does not mean NOT paying record) and always cares for his guys over everything else.
which I think is weird. You're a college coach, your job is win college games. But he says he cares more about the players going to the NBA then the games. But he never mentions all the players he coached that aren't in the NBA, which is most of them.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

SunnyAZ wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
which I think is weird. You're a college coach, your job is win college games. But he says he cares more about the players going to the NBA then the games. But he never mentions all the players he coached that aren't in the NBA, which is most of them.
Mention them how?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

first tourney game thread is up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Phylek

Post by Phylek »

SunnyAZ wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
This seems like a weird thing to attack Calipari over. He currently has 25 players in the NBA. He puts more players into the NBA than any other coach. Conversely, that means he, probably, has fewer players that don't make the NBA.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

CalStateTempe wrote:It’s gonna be a hell of a game. I’d make the drive if it wasn’t my 11.5mo olds 1 year birthday and birthday party. Lol

Wife, parents, inlaws, close friends and family making this trip from all over California and ariozna and Louisiana: “where is cst?”

Mrs CST: “driving to Boise”
You didn't plan on having a kid with a birthday that didn't interfere with March Madness?

I'm sorry, I've got two words for you CST: Bad fan!
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

dcZONAfan wrote:Mention them how?
any way? You ever hear him say 'my guy Archie Goodwin is doing so well in China' (don't think archie is in China, D-League most likely, just an example). The Ringer just had a piece of big time Kentucky players and their journeys outside the NBA.

Phylek wrote:This seems like a weird thing to attack Calipari over. He currently has 25 players in the NBA. He puts more players into the NBA than any other coach. Conversely, that means he, probably, has fewer players that don't make the NBA.
not an attack, just said it is weird. also, no other coach says his job is to get players to the NBA (while at the same time 90% of the players he has coached won't ever get in the NBA). I get it is probably just a recruiting angle, still weird.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

SunnyAZ wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:Mention them how?
any way? You ever hear him say 'my guy Archie Goodwin is doing so well in China' (don't think archie is in China, D-League most likely, just an example). The Ringer just had a piece of big time Kentucky players and their journeys outside the NBA.

Phylek wrote:This seems like a weird thing to attack Calipari over. He currently has 25 players in the NBA. He puts more players into the NBA than any other coach. Conversely, that means he, probably, has fewer players that don't make the NBA.
not an attack, just said it is weird. also, no other coach says his job is to get players to the NBA (while at the same time 90% of the players he has coached won't ever get in the NBA). I get it is probably just a recruiting angle, still weird.
The problem here is you assume that because he isn't mentioning Archie that he, what, doesn't care for the kid or something? How about some context? When do you hear him talking about his NBA players? My guess would be when it's a relevant topic, which is likely the only time we, as non Kentucky fans, are going to hear him speak, no?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Jesus, guys, Google is your friend.

Archie Goodwin has been starting for the Suns' G League team in Prescott since November.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

SunnyAZ wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
But if you look at it from this perspective, He is also an employee of the University, and as an Employee of the University,isn't your primary goal to prepare students for life after school a la their careers?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
But if you look at it from this perspective, He is also an employee of the University, and as an Employee of the University,isn't your primary goal to prepare students for life after school a la their careers?
No. Amateur athletics is about money. You need to focus on preparing students to be a crucial cog in billion dollar industry.
prh

Post by prh »

This is actually a very interesting topic: what is Calipari's main job goal(s)?

For most (basketball/football) coaches across the country, I would say it is to maximize revenue (including donations). This has a lot of factors, such as winning and not embarrassing the school.

But for some programs, direct revenue is pretty much topped out, and booster revenue is probably close to being maxed too. Those schools are all prominent/blue blood programs, so winning is now much more important. Deep tourney runs (or big bowl games) can create additional revenue, so it kind of connects back to that too.

So for UK, winning and deep tourney runs is probably most important. But, Cal has built a system that's dependent on having hype around star talent. The best way to continue that is to take care of those guys, and progress them along, which is typically the NBA. Plus, all those contracts eventually (theoretically) eventually yield returns back to the athletic department.

So, how does UK measure his success? Or do they even care? It's not like they would ever fire him. So I guess that as long as revenue is maxed and the program isn't embarrassing the school, it's on cruise control huh?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

prh wrote:So, how does UK measure his success? Or do they even care? It's not like they would ever fire him. So I guess that as long as revenue is maxed and the program isn't embarrassing the school, it's on cruise control huh?
SEC titles and NCAA tourney performance.

In 9 seasons at UK:

-1 NC
-3 FFs
-5 SEC titles

I'd say he's killing it.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
prh wrote:So, how does UK measure his success? Or do they even care? It's not like they would ever fire him. So I guess that as long as revenue is maxed and the program isn't embarrassing the school, it's on cruise control huh?
SEC titles and NCAA tourney performance.

In 9 seasons at UK:

-1 NC
-3 FFs
-5 SEC titles

I'd say he's killing it.
He has nothing on Alford's PAC 12 reign
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Jefe wrote:Cats heading to the airport. Or maybe driving? Its only 17hrs... ;)

As I understand it, my seat is in the second orange row on the aisle just right of the basket on the opposite side of the arena. Perfect spot to watch the boys work! I hope that's the Arizona bench at that end for at least one of the games . . . That's the visitor's bench for BSU games.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Amazing, BD. Have fun! Bear down!
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

catgrad97 wrote:Jesus, guys, Google is your friend.

Archie Goodwin has been starting for the Suns' G League team in Prescott since November.
No offense, but what does that have to do with anything? At what point would me knowing that or him knowing that have made a difference in our conversation?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Amazing, BD. Have fun! Bear down!
Pumped! Had zero expectation of this happening this week and then all hell broke loose Sunday evening. Free open practice at 5:00 this afternoon. Gonna skip the gym and head over probably.

Wednesday practices
▪ 11 a.m. UNC Greensboro, 11:45 a.m. South Dakota State, 12:30 p.m. Gonzaga, 1:15 p.m. Ohio State, 3:25 p.m. Kentucky, 4:10 p.m. Arizona, 4:55 p.m. Davidson, 5:40 p.m. Buffalo. Practices at Taco Bell Arena are open to the public and free.

Thursday games
▪ No. 4 Gonzaga vs. No. 13 UNC Greensboro in the West Region, 11:30 a.m. (TNT)
▪ No. 5 Ohio State vs. No. 12 South Dakota State in the West Region, approximately 2 p.m. (TNT)
▪ No. 5 seed Kentucky vs. No. 12 Davidson in the South Region, 5:10 p.m. (CBS)
▪ No. 4 Arizona vs. No. 13 Buffalo in the South Region, approximately 7:40 p.m. (CBS)
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

azgreg wrote:
Holy shit. Couple blocks away from the office. I'm not going to be able to work today with all these folks bumping around downtown Boise . . .
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

BearDown89 wrote:
Pumped! Had zero expectation of this happening this week and then all hell broke loose Sunday evening. Free open practice at 5:00 this afternoon. Gonna skip the gym and head over probably.

Wednesday practices
▪ 11 a.m. UNC Greensboro, 11:45 a.m. South Dakota State, 12:30 p.m. Gonzaga, 1:15 p.m. Ohio State, 3:25 p.m. Kentucky, 4:10 p.m. Arizona, 4:55 p.m. Davidson, 5:40 p.m. Buffalo. Practices at Taco Bell Arena are open to the public and free.

Thursday games
▪ No. 5 Ohio State vs. No. 12 South Dakota State in the West Region, approximately 2 p.m. (TNT)
▪ No. 4 Arizona vs. No. 13 Buffalo in the South Region, approximately 7:40 p.m. (CBS)
Dude...that's incredible that you're there. We're with you in spirit, brother.

I hope they come out and take care of business tomorrow night. Make noise!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Truth! Have a blast BD89!
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Inventoried my pile of ratty t-shirts and decided I had to update my gear for proper representation. Arriving tomorrow . . .
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

BearDown89 wrote:Inventoried my pile of ratty t-shirts and decided I had to update my gear for proper representation. Arriving tomorrow . . .
Where's this from? It's sick
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Some local coverage. Same guy did a story on the espn scandal and basically got the facts right.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/co ... 80299.html" target="_blank
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

dcZONAfan wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:Inventoried my pile of ratty t-shirts and decided I had to update my gear for proper representation. Arriving tomorrow . . .
Where's this from? It's sick
Sweet right? Fanatics.com. On sale. Perfect for the weather here this time of year too.

https://www.fanatics.com/college/arizon ... 3366951738" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'll order, but first have to decide if that would that look just as good on a body that looks more like:

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

[quote="dcZONAfan"][quote="catgrad97"]Jesus, guys, Google is your friend.

Archie Goodwin has been starting for the Suns' G League team in Prescott since November.[/quote]

No offense, but what does that have to do with anything? At what point would me knowing that or him knowing that have made a difference in our conversation?[/quote]

Offense accepted, considering your example you want to bandy back and forth is playing ON AN NBA ROSTER, IN ARIZONA.

But hey, sorry I interrupted your pleasant little chat with helpful facts. I'll just go back to laughing at you two rock 'em sock 'em fanbots arguing without research.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

BearDown89 wrote:Some local coverage. Same guy did a story on the espn scandal and basically got the facts right.

Do you have a link to their ESPN story? I have only found deadspin links and one they did on Arizona being the "most controversial" in their field
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

EVCat wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:Some local coverage. Same guy did a story on the espn scandal and basically got the facts right.

Do you have a link to their ESPN story? I have only found deadspin links and one they did on Arizona being the "most controversial" in their field
Sounds like the same one you reference.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/co ... 88784.html" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That could be the greatest Arizona jacket I have ever seen, Beardown. Ordering one for myself, thanks for the heads up.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

rgdeuce wrote:That could be the greatest Arizona jacket I have ever seen, Beardown. Ordering one for myself, thanks for the heads up.
Needed some red for the game. Most of my stuff is blue and or gray based. This looks super sharp. Haven't seen the Cats play hoops live in many many years. Last was probably at one of the Oregon schools back in law school in the early 90s. Fired up for this unexpected opportunity!
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/16-things- ... 26332.html" target="_blank
Best part of this bracket: The selection committee has issued quite a challenge to the most aggressive of all fan bases: How many Kentucky fans can get to Boise? Big Blue traditionally takes over every NCAA venue, but Idaho is a much closer commute for Arizona’s fans than Kentucky’s.

Pat’s pick: Arizona.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

BOOM!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

BearDown89 wrote:

Wednesday practices

Thursday games
I'm officially jelly. Have fun and BTFD! I remember when we had games at McKale, saw Tim Duncan one year and watched him drain 10 3's in a row after practice.