let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

midnightx

Re: let's talk '18

Post by midnightx »

ESPN has been posting all sorts of commitments for numerous programs on its website, but has yet to acknowledge the Doutrive commitment, nor has ESPN updated their 2018 recruiting list. Of course, when they finally do, they will make a jab and say it is the first verbal commitment since O'Neil and Williams decommitted due to Miller's conversation with an agent regarding a payment for Ayton -- the "payment" narrative ESPN continues to hammer home every time there is an Arizona story.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Relevant part
Williams initially committed to Arizona but opened his recruitment in March because of the program's uncertain future. Wright said Arizona still remains a strong possibility for Williams. In fact, he said Arizona coach Sean Miller – who assures the family everything will turn out OK – planned to visit Monday night just to "show him a couple ideas."
Who knows if they actually met up. Arizona is like the guy who got dumped and is still trying to get the girl back but doesn't realize it's over - she's moved on.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

NYCat wrote: Relevant part
Williams initially committed to Arizona but opened his recruitment in March because of the program's uncertain future. Wright said Arizona still remains a strong possibility for Williams. In fact, he said Arizona coach Sean Miller – who assures the family everything will turn out OK – planned to visit Monday night just to "show him a couple ideas."
Who knows if they actually met up
Arizona still may be the leader, but for the sake of conversation if he were to move on from Arizona, he isn’t choosing ASU over Oregon and Gonzaga.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Who knows if they actually met up. Arizona is like the guy who got dumped and is still trying to get the girl back but doesn't realize it's over - she's moved on.
Why not? We don't have a ton of targets right now and Williams is the best prospect.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Arizona is still the best dressed man at the party & has a shitload to offer. Yeah, we'd like to have him and Miller needs him. But let's not pretend we got dumped. Williams made a prudent move when Schlabach screwed our program with his b.s. report. Before that, Williams was still committed despite the FBI investigation that broke last September. Now that the waters have calmed, Miller has been able to attend to damage control and get the flames out. The fact that the U of A backed him and there's been zero evidence released, Williams should feel a lot better than he did six weeks ago.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If the recruitment is over why is he waiting to the summer to decide? Seems he is giving us all the rope possible to reel him back in
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:
Arizona is still the best dressed man at the party & has a shitload to offer. Yeah, we'd like to have him and Miller needs him. But let's not pretend we got dumped. Williams made a prudent move when Schlabach screwed our program with his b.s. report. Before that, Williams was still committed despite the FBI investigation that broke last September. Now that the waters have calmed, Miller has been able to attend to damage control and get the flames out. The fact that the U of A backed him and there's been zero evidence released, Williams should feel a lot better than he did six weeks ago.
Plus I have sources that say Miller is a wildcat in the sack.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

When 2018 PG, Brandon Williams, backed off of his commitment from Arizona, the first phone call that his father, Chris Wright, received was from Gonzaga assistant coach, Donny Daniels. Daniels, who had been recruiting the elite PG heavily before his commitment, just wanted to make sure that the family knew that Gonzaga was going to be heavily involved again.

After multiple visits to his games and workouts, Gonzaga finally had its in-home visit last Thursday. According to Chris, the visit had a huge impact.

“The in-home visit was just great,” he explained. “It wasn’t any sales pitch and it didn’t feel like we were talking to sales people. It was Coach Few being genuine and telling us how it is. The biggest thing for him is the culture at Gonzaga. Everybody there, from the coaches to the players, is all about Gonzaga. They have a really nice foundation with all of the returning players, and he said the one thing they are missing is a dynamic guy that can get into the paint and make plays.”

One thing that was crystal clear is that Gonzaga is ready to partner Williams with Josh Perkins to create one of the best pairings in college basketball.

“They have great returning guys who Brandon can help make better, but who also can help make Brandon better. One thing they said is they know they are good enough to make a Final Four with this team, but with Brandon, they can win a National Championship. It really seems like a perfect fit.”

Coming out of the visit, the family felt like they had a much stronger understanding of the program and fit for Brandon.

“There are really no concerns after the home visit,” Chris clarified. “Coach Few spoke openly about the conference. He explained that it has never stopped Gonzaga from achieving our goals and that they can beat anybody and they send guys to the pros. The more I thought about it, in reality, what can anybody really say? They are doing everything that the blue bloods are doing. They are playing in the Sweet 16, Final Four and National Championship game and sending guys to the pros. Brandon came away so impressed and it opened his eyes a lot. When I got back from walking them out of the house, he just looked at me and shook his head and said he was so confused about what to do now.”

Two days after Gonzaga was in for its visit, the family headed to Tempe for an unofficial visit to Arizona St.

“It was an unofficial visit we decided to take after their home visit,” he explained. “We drove out on Saturday morning and spent the day out there. We talked to academic counselors and with the strength and conditioning coach. Their skill workout was really impressive. Bobby Hurley lets his guys play. We looked at the roster and the guys that are coming in and they are lacking depth. Brandon could come in and play 30 minutes. Bobby Hurley said the same thing that Gonzaga did, which is here are the keys and go do what you do. It was a good time."

Coming up this weekend is a visit to Oregon. While there has been some discussion about the timing of this visit and the Gonzaga visit, Chris made it clear people are reading way too much into it.

“With this recruitment, we wanted to take his heart out of it and just find the best situation. We didn’t want any visits setup back-to-back. If Oregon had the last in-home visit, we would have been visiting Gonzaga this weekend. Since Gonzaga was the last visit, Oregon gets the first official. Between the Oregon visit and Gonzaga visit, he has two All-Star games, prom night and graduation. There just isn’t time to get anything done. However, I can guarantee you, we will be at Gonzaga on June 1"

As they head towards a mid-June decision, it appears that there will be a focus on a few key factors that will be important.

“There are two things that are key to Brandon. The first is him having the ball from day one and the second is his development. He is on a fast pace development with the way he bounced back from his injury and he is right back to where he was before. He needs the ball in his hands from the get go, and quite honestly, he will likely only be there for two years, so the development is very important. That’s what is key and also the culture of the school. From what I have been hearing on Gonzaga, I think he is really going to like it.”
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

We got dumped and Williams isn't coming back. We need to just accept this and move on already. Good grief. Oregon and Gonzaga have way more to offer minus the FBI/NCAA drama. And both have better coaches in my honest opinion. The only thing more ridiculous than the people who are dumb enough to believe Williams ends up at Arizona are the ASSu fans who believe he's going to be a she devil. Williams has moved on and it's time we as Arizona fans do the same.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Captain Obvious wrote:
We got dumped and Williams isn't coming back. We need to just accept this and move on already. Good grief. Oregon and Gonzaga have way more to offer minus the FBI/NCAA drama. And both have better coaches in my honest opinion. The only thing more ridiculous than the people who are dumb enough to believe Williams ends up at Arizona are the ASSu fans who believe he's going to be a she devil. Williams has moved on and it's time we as Arizona fans do the same.
I think you better hope he doesn't come to Arizona after this post.You might have to change your name. :roll:
Mike Luke's burner account.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Captain Obvious wrote:
You may well be right but given the fact that the UA has a rather desperate need for his services and BW hasn't publicly ruled out the UA I for one hope Miller pursues him right up until he signs with whomever.

At this point Beggars can't be Choosers.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Anyone else getting a little sick of Brandon Williams. I do feel like we got dumped and got dumped after we stuck with the girl when she got fat (aka injured). Then she gets hot again but we have some issues and she runs away. But are issues could be overblown just like her being fat was just a one time thing. We were loyal but this girl is not reciprocating because "Someone better might be out there"

To me in that case, we should say later and move on. Because its becoming clear she likes looking around.

At least with Shareef he dumped us and moved on quickly

Sorry for getting all Dr. Phil in this post and maybe it is just me but getting sick of Brandon Williams
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Not a big hitter but great short game.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Akinjo cancelled his visit to Tennessee this weekend and instead will visit us.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So Choo, if Akinjo commits does that mean we won't get BW? They both are PG's
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:So Choo, if Akinjo commits does that mean we won't get BW? They both are PG's
Akinjo is a developmental kid, not a day 1 starter. We'd still be in the market for BW or a grad transfer, IMO.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
azcat49 wrote:So Choo, if Akinjo commits does that mean we won't get BW? They both are PG's
Akinjo is a developmental kid, not a day 1 starter. We'd still be in the market for BW or a grad transfer, IMO.
I don't disagree with this take at all, but I have no idea how Akinjo feels about committing alongside another PG. I don't think Williams would care either way.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Bw and Q we're both committed.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I don't disagree with this take at all, but I have no idea how Akinjo feels about committing alongside another PG. I don't think Williams would care either way.
If we're being half honest with him, we're clearly actively recruiting other kids and he'll have to be good to earn time as a freshman if anyone else pays off.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I like this guy and hope we land him
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Arizona isn't winning anything considerable this year with a grad transfer, I would just throw Barcello & Akinjo into the fire as your two ball handlers and see what they can do.

Stunted growth is the huge negative along with the self fulfilling propechy down the line of them not being ready.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
From the articles on him, the idea of getting a lot of minutes as a freshmen is what is very appealing to Akinjo about Arizona. Whether it happens or not I think our current roster situation is being viewed as a massive positive to Akinjo.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatHoops wrote:Bw and Q we're both committed.
We know BW wouldn't mind based on past precedence, but also due to the fact he's a better player than Akinjo and he knows it. We don't know how Akinjo would feel about it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I like this guy and hope we land him
I'm a fan.

Point Guard
Johnson
Randolph
Akot
Jeter

That's my lineup.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
We know BW wouldn't mind based on past precedence, but also due to the fact he's a better player than Akinjo and he knows it. We don't know how Akinjo would feel about it.
He told Rivals a while back that potential 25+ mins a game at Arizona was big, Williams would almost surely negate those minutes
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
My gut tells me Miller is using Akinjo as leverage to force Williams hand. But time is running out and Akinjo is a good enough player that if he wants to commit Miller takes him. But I bet Akinjo or his family says something like we will commit provided you don't bring in any other freshmen PG's. Kind of like how programs recruit QB's.

Again, no inside info but just my thoughts.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
My gut tells me Miller is using Akinjo as leverage to force Williams hand. But time is running out and Akinjo is a good enough player that if he wants to commit Miller takes him. But I bet Akinjo or his family says something like we will commit provided you don't bring in any other freshmen PG's. Kind of like how programs recruit QB's.

Arizona isn't in position to tell a guy like Akinjo no or to wait. The second you get an answer from either Akinjo or Williams you take them and go from there. One in the hand is worth two in the bush.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Jordan Brown:
Contenders: Brown has taken official visits to California, Louisiana-Lafayette, St. John's and UCLA. Arizona and North Carolina have recently jumped in while Gonzaga, Nevada and Oregon are still involved to some extent.

Buzz: Brown has one more official visit to use and it's likely that Arizona and North Carolina fight for this one. Don't look for a decision until the end of April at the earliest as Cal is trying desperately to hold onto a relatively local product.

Predictions: Cal (Bossi), Arizona (Evans), North Carolina (McDonald)
Brandon Williams

Contenders: Oregon, Arizona State, Arizona, Gonzaga, UCLA and others.

Buzz: Since backing off of his commitment to Arizona, Williams has been a major West Coast target. He just took an unofficial visit to Arizona State and the Sun Devils are trying to make a run, but the majority of the buzz has been in Oregon's favor thus far.

Predictions: Oregon (Bossi, Evans, McDonald)
James Akinjo

Contenders: Arizona, Georgetown, Tennessee, San Diego State, California, Colorado, Gonzaga, Oregon State and others.

Buzz: Formerly committed to UConn, Akinjo backed out when Kevin Ollie was fired. This weekend he'll take an official visit to Tennessee. The Vols and Georgetown are strong, but keep a close eye on Arizona.

Predictions: Arizona (Bossi, Evans), Tennessee (McDonald
)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If we had a legit shot at Brown, that would be excellent.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

We're gonna get all 4 California kids.
Devonaire
Akinjo
Bwill
Brown
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:If we had a legit shot at Brown, that would be excellent.
Interesting that they didn't mention Stanford at all. Every thing I've heard about that recruitment is if he gets into Stanford that's where he's going.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

CatHoops wrote:We're gonna get all 4 California kids.
Devonaire
Akinjo
Bwill
Brown
Now we're talking
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Interesting that they didn't mention Stanford at all. Every thing I've heard about that recruitment is if he gets into Stanford that's where he's going.
Are any of those guys based on the west coast?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Seems like the BW situation is a really tough call. Clearly, Sean has kept the courtship going, but increasingly it’s seeming like our only chance is if AZ is simply the school he’s wanted all along. Sometimes guys just fall in love with a school somewhere along the way. If that’s the case, then Oregon and Gonzaga never really had a chance. That said, I think he ends up at Oregon.

This wouldn’t be so devastating, though, as long as the rest of this projected class materializes.

I give CSM a ton of credit for hustling and getting this roster filled out given all the adversity he’s had to deal with. Great work, Coach!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Brown has an odd recruitment. You look at McD's All American, then you see visit to Louisiana Lafayette and interest from Nevada. Even the bigger schools are sort of a weird mismash.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Are any of those guys based on the west coast?
I'm not sure where any of those guys are based.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Arizona isn't in position to tell a guy like Akinjo no or to wait. The second you get an answer from either Akinjo or Williams you take them and go from there. One in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Completely agree, beggars can not be choosers. I actually think Akinjo is a nice prospect too from his tapes. Nothing flashy but nothing bad stands out to me at all. Seems very solid
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Newportcat wrote:Anyone else getting a little sick of Brandon Williams. I do feel like we got dumped and got dumped after we stuck with the girl when she got fat (aka injured). Then she gets hot again but we have some issues and she runs away. But are issues could be overblown just like her being fat was just a one time thing. We were loyal but this girl is not reciprocating because "Someone better might be out there"

To me in that case, we should say later and move on. Because its becoming clear she likes looking around.

At least with Shareef he dumped us and moved on quickly

Sorry for getting all Dr. Phil in this post and maybe it is just me but getting sick of Brandon Williams
No...I feel like Brandon handled it with class, while Shareef danced on our almost-sealed grave.

Brandon stayed quiet, spoke with Miller before de-committing, and is giving us every chance to clear the air and build some kind of team for him to play with, not 6 guys, before committing somewhere.

He is going to take trips. He wanted to come here, then all holy hell was leveled against us. He was coming, in part, to play with Shareef and maybe Bol and whoever else we signed. He has to consider his own future and he had every reason to de-commit.

Shareef clearly was conflicted before this happened. Brandon has shown he wants to come here enough to not jump somewhere else, and to keep this option open as long as he can to see what Miller can cobble together, then make his decision.

I cannot think of a classier way to handle it. He isn't a UA grad...ASU has some interest because of the system they run. He isn't visiting there to piss UA fans off. He is taking the visits he didn't when he made the decision to forego all of that because he wanted to play for Miller and at Arizona with Shareef and our returners so much.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Funny to see the Akinjo to Tennessee prediction on the same day that Akinjo cancelled his Vols visit to take an official to Arizona instead.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Funny to see the Akinjo to Tennessee prediction on the same day that Akinjo cancelled his Vols visit to take an official to Arizona instead.
Between us and G'Town, I imagine he decides shortly after this weekend.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Devonaire
Akinjo
Bwill
Brown
Are you just an eternal optimist or do you have some inside scoops to think this will happen? Just would be a miraculous recovery
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:
Devonaire
Akinjo
Bwill
Brown
Are you just an eternal optimist or do you have some inside scoops to think this will happen? Just would be a miraculous recovery
Even 3 of these 4 would be a miraculous recovery, imo.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

How many schollies do we have left? Smith, Jeter, Lee, Randolph, Barcello, and Akot. Doutrive gives us 6 more?

Desjardins, Weyand, Jones, and Trillo are not on scholarship?

Interesting site: http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/arizona" target="_blank
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Akinjo will commit this weekend. If we can get brown in for a visit after his USA tournaments this weekend then we have a real shot.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:How many schollies do we have left? Smith, Jeter, Lee, Randolph, Barcello, and Akot. Doutrive gives us 6 more?

Desjardins, Weyand, Jones, and Trillo are not on scholarship?

Interesting site: http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/arizona" target="_blank
Yes we have 7 lined up for next season at the moment. I doubt we use the full 13.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Jordan Brown reminds me of Dusan. That's after watching like 4 minutes of highlights.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SunnyAZ wrote:Jordan Brown reminds me of Dusan. That's after watching like 4 minutes of highlights.
What?

Jordan Brown is nothing like Dusan. He's way skinnier, smaller, faster and more athletic. He is more a 4 than 5. Of all the Cats to compare him to, Dusan would be way down my list.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Remember that BW was coming when we had Jahvon Quinerly committed as well.

If Brandon was willing to come and compete with Quinerly, he will not consider Akinjo an impediment.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

EVCat wrote:
Remember that BW was coming when we had Jahvon Quinerly committed as well.

If Brandon was willing to come and compete with Quinerly, he will not consider Akinjo an impediment.
No one considers to think that Akinjo might not be ok with the whole two PGs thing. Williams would take away Akinjo's 25+ minutes he thinks he'll be getting if he's coming here.