let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatFanOneMil

Re: let's talk '18

Post by CatFanOneMil »

So BW has not made an official statement yet and there is lying ESPAM trying to shit on UA again, what the fuck is wrong with that network?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CatFanOneMil wrote:So BW has not made an official statement yet and there is lying ESPAM trying to shit on UA again, what the fuck is wrong with that network?
I don’t think this one is anywhere near as big a deal as the Schlabach. Think they just jumped the gun and now look stupid. It’s not like this really affects AZ.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I take it we are not exactly where we want to be with BW?

Not an insider at all. Just the tea leaf reading? I know there was a lot of optimism a week or so ago. I still think we are clearly the best situation for him, personally and development-wise. He fell in love with us once.

But Oregon is really shiny and it is easy to want to be associated with a huge class that gets recognition. It can be fool's gold, especially if you have PT restricted due to incumbents and are constantly compared with the superstars in your team's class...a lot of our returning players and a transfer can tell you all about that. But to an 18 year old, even 2015 seems long ago. 2011 is ancient. We have to sell now, and the class he committed to originally had great potential.

I read he is being properly advised. That helps. But, damn...I cannot get a read on this. I guess no one can.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Saturday
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Main Event wrote:Saturday
Yep. Just saw that. Glad this will be over with soon.

Come on, BW!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:Saturday
Well, here's hoping. At least we get finality. I don't follow super closely, but it doesn't seem like anyone in his top three feels like they have it locked up.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

SunnyAZ wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Fellas.... let's get this discussion back on topic please.

When is BW announcing that he will become a Wildcat?
30th

Book it.
was close, he announced his announcement
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Don't feel good about it but would love to be proven wrong.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Still ours to lose Chi?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

AZ: starts from day one, gets to help a team with lowered expectations try for an NCAA berth; closest geographically to his hometown

OR: competes for minutes among a talented group of guards/wings, gets to be a part of a likely Pac champion and an NCAA tourney team; second closest geographically

Zaga: competes for minutes, gets to be a conference champ and a sure-thing NCAA tourney participant
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Still ours to lose Chi?
Haven’t talked to my friend but I feel like if something changed I’d get a text.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

He's ours.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

On 1290 today Brad Allis said he has a gut feeling he's coming here.

Mike Luke picked the Ducks.
-JB
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:AZ: starts from day one, gets to help a team with lowered expectations try for an NCAA berth; closest geographically to his hometown

OR: competes for minutes among a talented group of guards/wings, gets to be a part of a likely Pac champion and an NCAA tourney team; second closest geographically

Zaga: competes for minutes, gets to be a conference champ and a sure-thing NCAA tourney participant
No disrespect to you Beachcat, but I'll be damned if if Miller is going to cede the Pac 12 title to Oregon or any other fucking team. We've won back to back regular season & conference tourney titles despite two teams that had some major shortcomings and flaws. Last year at this time, on paper, Arizona looked like a shoe-in for the final four. After one exhibition game, it was clear nothing was as advertised in the offseason.

So while all the pundits tell me this Arizona team is gonna be weak, I'm inclined to wait and see what Miller can pull together. Because over the course of a season, he pushes the right buttons and has us right in the thick of the Pac 12 title race every year.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

UAEebs86 wrote:On 1290 today Brad Allis said he has a gut feeling he's coming here.

Who the hell is Mike Luke?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

zonagrad wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:On 1290 today Brad Allis said he has a gut feeling he's coming here.

Woodman's partner since Lantz left.
-JB
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

UAEebs86 wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

Who's Woodman & Lantz? (Sorry, I don't live in Tucson anymore). :lol:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

zonagrad wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

Who's Woodman & Lantz? (Sorry, I don't live in Tucson anymore). :lol:

Our only local sports talk shows are those guys:

http://www.wildcatsradio1290.com/shows/kevin-and-mike/" target="_blank
http://www.wildcatsradio1290.com" target="_blank

and Zach Clark on 1490 who I can't stand.

https://www.kgun9.com/zach-clark-show" target="_blank
https://www.kgun9.com/espntucson" target="_blank

Both are on in the late afternoon drive time.
-JB
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:AZ: starts from day one, gets to help a team with lowered expectations try for an NCAA berth; closest geographically to his hometown

No disrespect to you Beachcat, but I'll be damned if if Miller is going to cede the Pac 12 title to Oregon or any other fucking team. We've won back to back regular season & conference tourney titles despite two teams that had some major shortcomings and flaws. Last year at this time, on paper, Arizona looked like a shoe-in for the final four. After one exhibition game, it was clear nothing was as advertised in the offseason.

So while all the pundits tell me this Arizona team is gonna be weak, I'm inclined to wait and see what Miller can pull together. Because over the course of a season, he pushes the right buttons and has us right in the thick of the Pac 12 title race every year.
I feel you, zg. I didn't mean to diss Sean. He doesn't cede anything. To be honest, I'm concerned about our frontcourt. If lightning strikes and we somehow get BW and JB, then holy hell, we're right back in the Pac title conversation. So you're right: let's let the BW saga play out and see what's what.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

I hope we go small and let Ira play backup center if we don't get Brown.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SunnyAZ wrote:I hope we go small and let Ira play backup center if we don't get Brown.
I don't see how we don't start Jeter and Luther at 4 and 5 unless we land Brown and he beats out Luther.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:I hope we go small and let Ira play backup center if we don't get Brown.
I don't see how we don't start Jeter and Luther at 4 and 5 unless we land Brown and he beats out Luther.
How does this look, Spiff?

BW
BR
EA
JB
CJ

Think that lineup can compete for a Pac title?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
How does this look, Spiff?

BW
BR
EA
JB
CJ

Think that lineup can compete for a Pac title?
Yes, especially because that would make our first 3 off the bench Coleman, Smith and Luther. Those are 3 experienced, solid cogs to be your 6th, 7th and 8th men. Then, if Lee, Barcello and/or Doutrive are ready, you could go to between 9-11 deep.

I still have a hard time thinking we get Brown and Williams is a wild card, but that would be a sneaky good lineup.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yes, especially because that would make our first 3 off the bench Coleman, Smith and Luther. Those are 3 experienced, solid cogs to be your 6th, 7th and 8th men. Then, if Lee, Barcello and/or Doutrive are ready, you could go to between 9-11 deep.

I still have a hard time thinking we get Brown and Williams is a wild card, but that would be a sneaky good lineup.
Hopefully we get some good news on Saturday and then JB feels intrigued about starting alongside this super young group, save for Luther and Coleman.

Think the Pac has a fair number of early draft entrants who could return to school, so we won’t know the lay of the land for a while longer. But if that dream starting 5 materializes, we should be right back in the mix. Brown is a heck of a player, btw. He could be better as a freshman than BW.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yes but I was mostly talking about backup minutes. I don't want Lee to play backup PF when we could go Akot or Omar instead.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SunnyAZ wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yes but I was mostly talking about backup minutes. I don't want Lee to play backup PF when we could go Akot or Omar instead.
I see Lee as a meaningful cog in our future and want him to get some time. I doubt Omar is more ready than Lee would be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Kisunas is Stanford bound, so no more talks of wasting a scholarship for 4-5 years. Now to get Brown to visit.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Kisunas is Stanford bound, so no more talks of wasting a scholarship for 4-5 years. Now to get Brown to visit.
I am proud of him for thinking about his education first
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Kisunas is Stanford bound, so no more talks of wasting a scholarship for 4-5 years. Now to get Brown to visit.
Perfectly ok with no Kisunas. Choo do you think we go after another big if we can’t get Brown on campus?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
Perfectly ok with no Kisunas. Choo do you think we go after another big if we can’t get Brown on campus?
There is a backup big we're pursuing, but I'm not sure what our position is with him at the moment. My guess is doing every thing we can to get Brown to visit and go from there. If he doesn't visit he's not coming here.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
There is a backup big we're pursuing, but I'm not sure what our position is with him at the moment. My guess is doing every thing we can to get Brown to visit and go from there. If he doesn't visit he's not coming here.
You talking Parker Braun or someone else?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
You talking Parker Braun or someone else?
Someone else.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Interesting, thanks Choo
Ned Zissou

Post by Ned Zissou »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Someone else.
Shareef O'Neal?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Ned Zissou wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Someone else.
Shareef O'Neal?
Lol...if we somehow get JB, we'll have ended up with a better player.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Ned Zissou wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Someone else.
Shareef O'Neal?
That's known as a Leaf/Markannen exchange around these parts.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Ned Zissou wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Someone else.
Shareef O'Neal?
That's known as a Leaf/Markannen exchange around these parts.
Exactly. But Leaf/LM >>> O'Neal/Brown

UCLA's not getting a player anywhere near as good as Leaf, and (while I could be wrong) I doubt Brown makes anywhere near the kind of impact that Lauri did.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Ned Zissou wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Someone else.
Shareef O'Neal?
Lol no. The back up option is a grad transfer.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Ned Zissou wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Someone else.
Shareef O'Neal?
The secret back-up grad transfer...intriguing. But I want JB. BW + JB + our current roster = dancing in '19
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Ned Zissou wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Someone else.
Shareef O'Neal?
Worthwhile add or no?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Ned Zissou wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Someone else.
Shareef O'Neal?
Worthwhile add or no?
I'd prefer him over Kisunas that's for sure. I don't even know how much traction we have with the guy since we're throwing our hat in the ring a bit late, so we'll see. We've invested a good amount of time into Brown, time to get a visit.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Choo what's your guess on BW?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

billk78 wrote:Choo what's your guess on BW?
Brother I honestly dont have one at the moment and neither does anybody else. The Williams circle has gone full on quiet.
Ned Zissou

Post by Ned Zissou »

ChooChooCat wrote:Brother I honestly dont have one at the moment and neither does anybody else. The Williams circle has gone full on quiet.
The experts have crunched their numbers, run calculations, interviewed teammates, family and friends to make their crystal ball predictions, but they ALL missed one thing........ they all failed to remember that Sean Miller is a WITCH!

I have drank the witches brew and believe Miller will somehow land BWill and Brown.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Ned Zissou wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Brother I honestly dont have one at the moment and neither does anybody else. The Williams circle has gone full on quiet.
The experts have crunched their numbers, run calculations, interviewed teammates, family and friends to make their crystal ball predictions, but they ALL missed one thing........ they all failed to remember that Sean Miller is a WITCH!

I have drank the witches brew and believe Miller will somehow land BWill and Brown.
I'll have what he's having.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

New uniforms for this year.

https://t.co/2b9xL6dZV7" target="_blank
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

[tweet]https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/785535149018537984[/tweet]

Edit: bah humbug.

It's a gif, thought I'd try to be fancy and hip but... I'm not
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Here you go.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:New uniforms for this year.

https://t.co/2b9xL6dZV7" target="_blank
Kay Yow?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yeah ummm those are the same uniforms we've had the last two seasons.