2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: 2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I got heavy money on Coleman/Williams being the starting backcourt.
I'd take that action, in the sense a bet would need to not involve money, because if I start wagering on AZ basketball starting lineups, I should also start betting the under on "days till my wife divorces me."

Nothing against Coleman/Williams, I just don't think the situation shakes out where they're the best guard options all year and start more than 50% of the games together.
I don't disagree with you at all. I am very confident they start the season playing side by side though. How the majority of the season looks is TBD.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

So is the feeling here now that Barcello redshirts, and Randolph slides to the 3 to supplement Akot? That's what my gut tells me, anyway.

So stoked to have Williams back in the fold, as a great PG, in this conference as well as in the Big Dance, takes so much pressure off the rest of the floor rotation.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:So is the feeling here now that Barcello redshirts, and Randolph slides to the 3 to supplement Akot? That's what my gut tells me, anyway.

So stoked to have Williams back in the fold, as a great PG, in this conference as well as in the Big Dance, takes so much pressure off the rest of the floor rotation.
No clue about Barcello. I disagreed with Choo on the Williams/Coleman starting guards because I think Randolph and Smith are going to push at the 2. On the wing, I think Akot will play the 3, and we fill out the rotation with Smith, Randolph and maybe Doutrive. Maybe this is wish/hope, but I want to think Randolph starts at the 2 from day 1.
sirhamsalot

Post by sirhamsalot »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Could really use a Jeter update. He’s got big shoes to fill next season. I hope the year off allowed time to get stronger and learn our system.
From every thing I heard he's expected and has shown that he will be more than good enough next year. He sure as shit won't be Ayton V2.0, but he'll be much better than what he showed at Duke.
Damn, it Ayton 2.0...then I don’t want him

Jk, and anyone have a sense for why Jeter struggled so much at Duke after being so highly ranked?
Little bit of injuries and a little bit of just not feeling comfortable in the system. If you can name a single west coast kid who succeeded at Duke I'd love to hear it (Alaska doesnt count).
How about just this year...Bagley?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:So is the feeling here now that Barcello redshirts, and Randolph slides to the 3 to supplement Akot? That's what my gut tells me, anyway.

No clue about Barcello. I disagreed with Choo on the Williams/Coleman starting guards because I think Randolph and Smith are going to push at the 2. On the wing, I think Akot will play the 3, and we fill out the rotation with Smith, Randolph and maybe Doutrive. Maybe this is wish/hope, but I want to think Randolph starts at the 2 from day 1.
I would be surprised if AB redshirts. If he does, it means he's clearly moved to the bottom of our guard depth chart. And if we somehow get Nico for '19, it's gonna be hard for AB to rise over the next couple years.

I think he'll play this next season. Miller will give him a chance, just as he did this past year, and then it's up to AB to make the most of those minutes and earn more. AB looked like a deer in headlights most of last season.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

I think the key to the season is Williams and Coleman forming a bond and working together to lead the team. If their relationship is unselfish and aligned and they set the tone with conviction, the rest of the team will follow.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

I suggest Jeter will be a nice surprise this year to those who wonder about his "failure" with Duke.

We got a short but nice look a the big guy in his Red/Blue debut on the court with Ayton, Lee etc. last year. I can't find the video to review: as I recall he fouled out after 10/12 mins-----but had 2 blocks and 6 or 8 points in the very short stint. He looked very solid and especially poised to me. His court experience showed. Nice hands, nice feet, active D. On the D side I thought he brought it well when he guarded an aggressive Lee for a few minutes.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I got heavy money on Coleman/Williams being the starting backcourt.
I'd take that action, in the sense a bet would need to not involve money, because if I start wagering on AZ basketball starting lineups, I should also start betting the under on "days till my wife divorces me."

Nothing against Coleman/Williams, I just don't think the situation shakes out where they're the best guard options all year and start more than 50% of the games together.
I don't disagree with you at all. I am very confident they start the season playing side by side though. How the majority of the season looks is TBD.
I'll continue to buy this as well, and I have a similar hope that Randolph can start at the two at some point this season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Randolph is our most talented 2 guard. That's why I want him to start. If he's starting, it means he's starting to achieve that potential.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Here's a fun game: who do you most want to see achieve their full potential this coming season? Why? And how reasonable is the leap between what we've seen and that full potential?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Man how nice is it to be reading and having these conversations and debates on starting line ups and who is going to improve etc

Sometimes in life you need to take a step back and smell the roses

To me for Arizona fans now is that time. Just feel fortunate to think of where we were and where we are now. Not the greatest spot but not apocalyptic like it could have been

I am starting to have a good feeling about next years team. Think Arizona 2001/2002 team which was one of my favorites as no preseason hype but played really well
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Here's a fun game: who do you most want to see achieve their full potential this coming season? Why? And how reasonable is the leap between what we've seen and that full potential?
Randolph/Akot as a tie for #1 and Williams at #2.

Randolph and Akot have the two highest ceilings talent wise and defensively on the team. If they achieved potential, it would be a huge boon. I expect them to be better, but doubt it will be all the way to fully achieving potential.

Williams and Jeter have the third highest ceiling. I pick Williams because I would looooove to have a PG ready from day 1. Will he be? With a HS kid, it's always a crapshoot.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:Here's a fun game: who do you most want to see achieve their full potential this coming season? Why? And how reasonable is the leap between what we've seen and that full potential?
I'd like to see Randolph get there. He's a very talented player but didn't get enough minutes last year, for whatever reason. Seems like a good guy too. I think it's reasonable to expect a significantly enlarged role for BR next year. He doesn't have PJC, Rawle, and Trier ahead of him anymore. He really just needs to beat out Smith and the freshmen.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Sean Miller
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Brandon Randolph needs to spend his summer playing against men. Grown men. Big, solid, strong men who knock you off your axis. He can't waste his time in the gym working against people who play zero defense. He needs to be able to play through contact and develop toughness on both ends of the court. Then his game will really take off.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Alieberman wrote:
Sean Miller
8-)
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Sean Miller
8-)
CSM---yeah. Recruiting simply astonishing considering the start! Witch indeed!
On the coaching side we'll see. I forecast a positive Pac, and an 16 at minimum in the Dance.

The players? Biggest potential re last season: Akot, Randolph, Lee. Re practice team last season: Jeter. Spiff covered the points.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Looks like Jake will be the 13th scholarship this year and next. Good kid, works hard, deserves to be rewarded for his final 2 years.

Https://twitter.com/Coronadohoops/statu ... 90338?s=19" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He received a scholly to be the 13th guy?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:Looks like Jake will be the 13th scholarship this year and next. Good kid, works hard, deserves to be rewarded for his final 2 years.

Where do you see he will be on scholarship for next season too or did you hear it elsewhere?

As you know, given spare scholies to walk ons is quite common, but only good for the year unless a spare scholie opens up next year too.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Looks like Jake will be the 13th scholarship this year and next. Good kid, works hard, deserves to be rewarded for his final 2 years.

Where do you see he will be on scholarship for next season too or did you hear it elsewhere?

As you know, given spare scholies to walk ons is quite common, but only good for the year unless a spare scholie opens up next year too.
I was going off the whole "players will be offered a scholarship for the entirety of their eligibility" rule that recently went into effect, but I didnt realize it only applies to those on scholarship from day 1, so next year is fully up in the air, my mistake.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

In that twitter feed there is a comment (and a pic of Miller) that he is on scholarship. At least for next year
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

He’s on schloarship now and a very classy move for a kid who works hard for the Cat’s and actually
Has the size to play. Seems like something Lute would do
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

An awesome thing to do - saving the kid a ton of money.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Luther cleared for last 3 months

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... epth-chart" target="_blank
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Luther ready for new opportunity with Arizona

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... c24c7.html" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Appreciate these notes:

During limited offseason workouts this summer, Luther has been part of a post-player workout group that also includes Chase Jeter, Ira Lee and Emmanuel Akot.

“Coach Miller, from what we’ve done so far, he’s stressing and encouraging us to do things like pop and space the floor, and run wide, things that can kind of stretch the floor as a four man.”

Glad to hear he's already practicing with the forwards (and glad to see Akot among them as a post player). Also glad that Miller is embracing his smaller line-up from the get go from an offensive perspective. Hopefully our guards benefit from the increased space.
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

Getting stoned. UA is too I guess?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:
So, this was posted on Facebook. One guy was in the comments mad about how we didn't schedule ASU.

Bruh.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

84Cat wrote:
Got to win a few games in Maui because this OOC schedule will drop seeding big time.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
84Cat wrote:
So, this was posted on Facebook. One guy was in the comments mad about how we didn't schedule ASU.

Bruh.

Another ASU education really paying off.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
84Cat wrote:

Bruh.

He's an Arizona fan.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
84Cat wrote:

Bruh.

He's an Arizona fan.

If he has a degree they should rescind it.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
84Cat wrote:

Bruh.

He's an Arizona fan.

If he has a degree they should rescind it.
I think he just misunderstood the OOC part of the release.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Still, rescind that sheepskin.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

(duplicate)
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Interview videos up here. Chase sounds like a leader. Randolph looks like he's plotting to murder the Pac-12. Excuse me while I convince myself that the Wildcats are here to stay.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Lasting thought from those interviews: these guys are all heart right now. They've got each other's backs and they're clearly all moving in the same direction. How that holds up when the season gets going, minutes get doled out, and losses happen remains to be seen - but they're off to a great start. No "here's why they will / won't make the Final Four" chatter. No "you have to defer to these guys bc they're seniors / draft seeking."

Love the mindset and philosophical structure of the team right now. Can't wait for more media availability and pressers.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

From behind the paywall at The Athletic... as written by Seth Davis.

Good​ news​ was hard to find at​ Arizona last​ season. In September, assistant coach​ Emmanuel​ (Book)​ Richardson​ was​ arrested​​ as part of the FBI’s probe into college basketball. In February, ESPN.com published a story claiming coach Sean Miller had been caught on an FBI wiretap arranging payment for a recruit. The Wildcats managed to play some pretty good basketball, winning both the Pac-12 regular-season and tournament titles, but the season ended with a humiliating 21-point loss to Buffalo in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

The future looked just as bleak as graduation and undergraduate defections to the NBA resumed in the departure of the Wildcats’ top six scorers. Miller and his staff did well to keep their current players from defecting and buffered their roster through the transfer market. But it wasn’t until May 5 that the program got some genuine, game-changing good news: Its top recruit, Brandon Williams, a 6-foot-1 guard from Encino, Calif., who had decommitted in March, announced he would indeed attend Arizona.

Williams’ affirmation added a critical piece to the program’s perimeter depth, but it heralded something far more important — namely, the possibility that a new narrative is finally emerging, relegating the scandal-filled headlines to the past. “Brandon and I had a very strong relationship throughout the recruiting process, and it ended up winning out,” Miller says. “It was a big moment for us. There was a bigger picture to him coming than just his ability on the court.”

During the two-month period that Williams marinated on his decision, he was pursued by Oregon and Gonzaga, among others. His primary concern was about Miller’s job security. (Miller, who missed one game in the wake of the ESPN.com story, vehemently denied arranging payments for any recruits.) At one point, Miller offered to put Williams on the phone with university president Robert Robbins, who vouched for his coach. “To hear that coming from the president, that meant a lot,” Williams says. “Ultimately, I made the decision based on where I was going to be happy. Arizona has always been my dream school.”

The program is in much better shape with Williams in the fold, although the caliber of the roster will not be the same as it has been the last few years. “We’re not going to be as talented. We just aren’t,” Miller says. “But I think we have a chance to be a good team, and maybe it will be healthy for us to be under the radar. We’ve had five years in a row with incredibly high expectations. This is a year where we can still be a good team, but do it at our own pace.”

Although the controversy surrounding the program hindered Miller’s efforts to bring in transfers, he did land a pair of capable graduate transfers in Ryan Luther, a 6-9 forward from Pitt, and Justin Coleman, a 5-10 guard from Samford. Coleman played his first two years at Alabama, averaging 7.8 points and 3.3 assists as a sophomore, and he is more of a traditional pass-first point guard. He has the potential to start at that position, either supplanting Williams in the lineup or, more likely, playing alongside him.

Since Williams arrived on campus in early June, he has been working to strengthen his right leg, which is weak due to surgery he had 18 months ago to correct osteochondritis, a debilitating inflammation in the joint. Williams played his senior year of high school, but he knows he will have to be in better condition to succeed in college.

While it’s true Miller did not land one of his traditional, five-star laden recruiting classes, he did bring in a quality group one year ago. Because of the glut of veteran talent, most of those freshmen (aside from 7-foot center DeAndre Ayton) saw limited playing time. The opportunities for minutes will be plentiful this season, if those players are ready to seize them. “That’s going to be a big storyline of our team,” Miller says. “We have a lot of guys who did not play a lot last year, but they were very highly thought of as high school players. We are going to need each of them to take a big step forward if we’re going to become a really good team.”

The most talented among the returnees is Brandon Randolph, a 6-6 swingman from New York City. There’s a good reason Randolph’s nickname is Slim: He arrived in in Tucson weighing just 165 pounds, which made it difficult for him to get minutes with the likes of Allonzo Trier and Rawle Alkins on the roster. After averaging just 11.6 minutes and 3.7 points as a freshman, Randolph has dedicated his off-season to hitting the weight room and inhaling calories. He eats large quantities every two hours and quaffs a protein shake at the end of every meal. “At first it was hard on my stomach, but I’m more used to it now,” Randolph says. “I never lifted weights in high school, just did a bunch of push-ups and pull-ups. So I’m trying to get my body right for the season, because I know this could be a big year for me.”

As a result of all this roster shuffling, Arizona will deploy a lineup that is more in line with the smallball, pace-and-space style that has overtaken the sport. Sure, the Wildcats boasted a pair of quality big men last season in Ayton, the first pick in the NBA Draft, and fellow 7-footer Dusan Ristic, but that also put them at a major disadvantage while trying to guard smaller, quicker teams. That was very much in evidence in the loss to Buffalo, which shredded Arizona’s defense while shooting 15-for-30 from 3-point range. Arizona, by contrast, only made 2 of 18 attempts from the arc. The blowout win by a No. 13 seed over a No. 4 was billed as a major upset, but Miller did not see it that way. “If we played Buffalo seven times, I don’t know if we would have beaten them four,” he says. “Their ability to put us in mismatches was really hard to overcome. Moving forward we’ll probably play more of the way the game is played today. We’re going to have four ballhandlers out there a lot.”

With 6-5 junior Dylan Smith and 6-2 sophomore Alex Barcello vying for minutes, Miller will have plenty of options in the backcourt. The closest Arizona will have to a traditional center is Chase Jeter, a 6-10 redshirt junior who transferred from Duke. With his light feet and slender frame, Jeter is well-equipped to defend pick-and-rolls, but he does not possess much ability to score at the rim. Miller can also rotate Luther, 6-7 sophomore Emmanuel Akot and 6-7 sophomore Ira Lee in the frontcourt, but those substitutions will make the lineup even smaller.

One potential adjustment Miller hopes to make moving forward regards his recruiting strategy. Whereas in the past he has been in the business of replenishing depleted rosters with another crop of one-and-doners, he hopes to scavenge for players who have the same potential but are not quite as developed, which means they will stick around longer and give the program more stability. He is hoping to copy the model that has been in place at Villanova, which has two NCAA titles in the last three years to show for it. “I’m looking for four-star guys who want to develop, as opposed to just five-star guys who are thinking about how quickly they can leave,” he says. “That’s not to say we wouldn’t take the next Deandre Ayton, but we want to solidify who we are and then mix in one or two guys who are like that. That’s something I’m really looking forward to.”

Indeed, the idea of “looking forward” is in itself a new wrinkle. “It was pretty difficult to deal with all that last season. I’m not going to lie,” Randolph says. “We tried to just focus on basketball, and I think we did a pretty good job of that.” Arizona will still be among the favorites to win the Pac-12, but as Miller notes, the Wildcats won’t attract the same national acclaim in the preseason as they have in the past. Still, if the worst of the off-court controversies really are in the past, then Arizona’s future can still be bright. “When you’re dealt a lot of adversity and you overcome it, you can come out on the other side bigger and stronger than ever before,” Miller says. “That’s the approach all of us have taken.”
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

More thoughts from the above and the videos...

Miller is looking to run a Four Out offense with a single post player and four guards/wings who can switch, handle the ball, and shoot. Matches our personnel. You can call that Villanova-esque but it reminds me of the new NBA pace and space standard. Think the Houston Rockets, w/ Jeter as Capella in the middle, Coleman as CP3, Williams as Harden... then mix in Smith, Randolph, Akot, Lee, DD, OT, AB, etc as the other two of Ariza, Tucker, Gordon, Green.

Houston played the 6'5" 245lb PJ Tucker at center in their small line-up with CP3, Harden, Gordon, and Ariza... Arizona has the personnel to play a similar line-up if a hard rebounding, versatile defending small ball center emerges (Ira Lee? Ryan Luther? Eman? OT?). Swarming, switching defense and then the ability to really get out and run on misses to quickly put up points and keep the pressure turned up.

It'll be really interesting to see how Miller mixes it up this season, both due to the major structural change in the roster (we don't have multiple starting caliber seven footers) and due to not having many guys inked as starters, let alone "go-to guys." Miller notes in the piece that he's aware that this season's lack of expectations and the total cleaning out of the starting line-up allows this team to find its way at its own pace. I really hope that means mixing up our line-ups... though that will require guys to perform on defense in order to warrant Miller's minutes.

Looking forward to seeing how the sophomores have progressed so we'll know who can really play this season.

(PS I will keep talking to myself if y'all don't respond IDGAF :D )
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

YDF,

You know I love ya, you always bring it and these takes above are choice.

In some ways I am more excited for the start of this season than when we’re are stacked. Those years it’s all about expectations and the anxiety/questioning if we are meeting those expectations or not.

Here there are none, it truly is enjoy and honor the process and reveal with the unexpected wins start coming.

Prediction:
We are winning the Maui invitational
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

FWIW: I'm rooting for a small ball line-up of Williams, Randolph, Akot, Lee... with either Coleman or Barcello running as the second guard. Rooting for Barcello and Lee because I'm invested in those dudes and always optimistic. I'm not optimistic I'll see that line-up though bc Miller is tighter than a gnats ass, but hoping he proves me wrong.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

CalStateTempe wrote:YDF,

You know I love ya, you always bring it and these takes above are choice.

In some ways I am more excited for the start of this season than when we’re are stacked. Those years it’s all about expectations and the anxiety/questioning if we are meeting those expectations or not.

Here there are none, it truly is enjoy and honor the process and reveal with the unexpected wins start coming.

Prediction:
We are winning the Maui invitational
CST I'm supposed to be the insanely optimistic one here :lol:

With you on this one for sure: "In some ways I am more excited for the start of this season than when we’re are stacked."
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m big on team development in my organization, and sometimes when you have turnover and no “clear leader” but tons of talent it allows leadership to emerge that otherwise would remain quiet and defer to more senior or experienced leadership.

It’s also why I love college Bb, the growth and learning that takes place with each new team over a season. Fun to watch.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Yo is bringing it with the posts.

Haven’t thought all that much about the upcoming season. But now I am...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

YoDeFoe wrote:More thoughts from the above and the videos...

Miller is looking to run a Four Out offense with a single post player and four guards/wings who can switch, handle the ball, and shoot. Matches our personnel. You can call that Villanova-esque but it reminds me of the new NBA pace and space standard. Think the Houston Rockets, w/ Jeter as Capella in the middle, Coleman as CP3, Williams as Harden... then mix in Smith, Randolph, Akot, Lee, DD, OT, AB, etc as the other two of Ariza, Tucker, Gordon, Green.

Houston played the 6'5" 245lb PJ Tucker at center in their small line-up with CP3, Harden, Gordon, and Ariza... Arizona has the personnel to play a similar line-up if a hard rebounding, versatile defending small ball center emerges (Ira Lee? Ryan Luther? Eman? OT?). Swarming, switching defense and then the ability to really get out and run on misses to quickly put up points and keep the pressure turned up.

It'll be really interesting to see how Miller mixes it up this season, both due to the major structural change in the roster (we don't have multiple starting caliber seven footers) and due to not having many guys inked as starters, let alone "go-to guys." Miller notes in the piece that he's aware that this season's lack of expectations and the total cleaning out of the starting line-up allows this team to find its way at its own pace. I really hope that means mixing up our line-ups... though that will require guys to perform on defense in order to warrant Miller's minutes.

Looking forward to seeing how the sophomores have progressed so we'll know who can really play this season.

If even half of the above happens, I will need a change of pants. Ill keep a second pair nearby, but plan on not needing it.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the PG has sucked at AZ for three years and the point of attack has suffered mightily - the change in the most important position on the floor (and off it) will be the most noticeable difference in Arizona this year and next.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Keep talking. It's nice to have some good, informed opinions.

I like the Houston style more as an option vs a primary. The downside of their approach is the it is heavily dependent on the 3 falling offensively and having effective pick and roll ballhandlers. Houston plays that way so well because Harden and Paul are both incredibly efficient pick and rollers and they surrounded them with guys who can shoot.

Defensively, I'm down with more flexibility. If Akot is ready for extended minutes, he can rotate to help the 4 and provide a more athletic presence there. Similarly, Lee is best suited to run around and cause havoc, not as a traditional post on D.

There should be more need for experimenting in 18-19. We don't have the horses you just expect to win the 1 on 1 matchups like years past. Utilizing the versatility of the guys we have matters much more.

We'll see. I'm excited to see how Miller deals with the challenges and opportunities the 18-19 team presents.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TucsonClip wrote:

If even half of the above happens, I will need a change of pants. Ill keep a second pair nearby, but plan on not needing it.
I want the above but I also predicted a Coleman / Williams / Randolph (or Smith?) / Luther / Jeter starting line-up and I'm afraid that's what we'll see most of this year.