let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '19

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:On 1290 yesterday Mike Luke said sonething like 3 guys on the Crystal Ball (including Gershon I think?) predicted Nico Mannion to Arizona in the last couple days.
Gershon, Evan Daniels, Jerry Meyer, Brian Snow, and Jason Scheer all picked Arizona in that Crystal Ball yesterday.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution ... redictions" target="_blank
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Man if we can get Nico with BWill in the backcourt for 19 :) :) :)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

billk78 wrote:Man if we can get Nico with BWill in the backcourt for 19 :) :) :)
People have been heavily critical of Miller for overreliance on PJC, but he seems to have learned and is aggressively pursuing multiple options at PG who have the capability to play together. I've posted before on how it's good to have two pg's, but again, this is a smart move.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Isn’t this sort of Miller’s specialty? Get burned by a lack of bigs when he came here so he stacked bigs. Get burned by a lack of shooting so he stacked wings. Get burned by a lack of passing so now he’s stacking guards.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:On 1290 yesterday Mike Luke said sonething like 3 guys on the Crystal Ball (including Gershon I think?) predicted Nico Mannion to Arizona in the last couple days.
Gershon, Evan Daniels, Jerry Meyer, Brian Snow, and Jason Scheer all picked Arizona in that Crystal Ball yesterday.

You think a commitment might be coming soon for Mannion? That would be awesome.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Isn’t this sort of Miller’s specialty? Get burned by a lack of bigs when he came here so he stacked bigs. Get burned by a lack of shooting so he stacked wings. Get burned by a lack of passing so now he’s stacking guards.
I don't really see the lack of shooting part. The team we lacked shooting on, he still had Rondae and Gabe and Stanley already incoming.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

You think a commitment might be coming soon for Mannion? That would be awesome.
Haven't heard one is, but we are most certainly in the lead for his services.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Isn't the thought to pair with the kid from Florida? Green I think is his name? Would be quite the back court with BW and Randolph
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

god it feels good to be talking about kids coming to Tucson again..

'19
Manion
Green
Agbonkpolo (unless akot/randolph return)
Robinson-Earl/McDaniels
Koloko
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Isn’t this sort of Miller’s specialty? Get burned by a lack of bigs when he came here so he stacked bigs. Get burned by a lack of shooting so he stacked wings. Get burned by a lack of passing so now he’s stacking guards.
I don't really see the lack of shooting part. The team we lacked shooting on, he still had Rondae and Gabe and Stanley already incoming.
Spiff you know I'm not going to let facts get in the way of a good story.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

I suppose a lot will depend on how much of a jump Randolph and Akot make. If they dont take a giant step forward and become NBA ready then maybe we don't need as many wings. Personally I think they are going to need 2 more years each minimum.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

IMO you need as many wings as you can get. I want as many guys on the roster who can play and defend multiple positions, are long and athletic, plus if they can score, even better.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:IMO you need as many wings as you can get. I want as many guys on the roster who can play and defend multiple positions, are long and athletic, plus if they can score, even better.
Pretty much anyone with multiple position ability is welcome. In college, that's basically anyone but a traditional big. PG's can play together, wings can slide SG to SF and even to the 4. The stationary big guy is the only one you really lose the multipositional flexibility with.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TucsonClip wrote:IMO you need as many wings as you can get. I want as many guys on the roster who can play and defend multiple positions, are long and athletic, plus if they can score, even better.
I want as many dudes with +4" wingspans as possible.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not sure how credible, but there's a rumor out there that Nico is already a silent AZ commit. Huge news if true.

It would jibe with these recent crystal ball predictions.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Not sure how credible, but there's a rumor out there that Nico is already a silent AZ commit. Huge news if true.

I wasn't sure how I felt about him at first, but some of the recent film I've seen is pretty impressive.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Not sure how credible, but there's a rumor out there that Nico is already a silent AZ commit. Huge news if true.

I wasn't sure how I felt about him at first, but some of the recent film I've seen is pretty impressive.
Agreed. He's got excellent court vision and instincts. Above average shooter. Good size too. A Nico/BW backcourt would be among the best in the country in 2019-20. And we'd likely still have Randolph, Smith, Doutrive, and Barcello. That's a lot of guards!
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Preach!!
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

YoDeFoe wrote:
I'm 5'8" with a 6'0" wingspan no shoes. With my boots I have a 6'2" wingspan.
And I'm only 42 and still wear the same size jeans as in high school.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Preeeeeeetty sure putting on boots doesn't increase your wingspan
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I'm just making light of the fact that about a month ago we were sitting here seeing who on this forum had eligibility left and maybe some ability left to fill out this roster.
I'm so happy that we are not at that point anymore and give big accolades to Miller for pulling this together and setting us up nicely for the next couple years.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Preeeeeeetty sure putting on boots doesn't increase your wingspan
Depends on how you wear your boots.

What I like about Mannion is he looks sharp, decisive and doesn't just overpenetrate into crowds. He has the ability to stop and pop on a dime and he uses that a lot to good effect.

That's a big thing I like in a pg. Only go all the way when you have the clear lane. If it isn't clear, stop and make the play from 10-15 feet.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:That's a big thing I like in a pg. Only go all the way when you have the clear lane. If it isn't clear, stop and make the play from 10-15 feet.
So basically...be like TJ.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:That's a big thing I like in a pg. Only go all the way when you have the clear lane. If it isn't clear, stop and make the play from 10-15 feet.
So basically...be like TJ.
Yeah, except Mannion regularly dunks on people. TJ wasn't doing that. Of course, TJ had intangibles, effort and D that Mannion would have a ways to go to match.

But yeah, TJ is great at penetrating enough and knowing when to stop.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
But yeah, TJ is great at penetrating enough and knowing when to stop.
I never figured that part out and now why I have six kids.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:
USC.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Choo, noooooo. Love Stanley
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azcat49 wrote:Choo, noooooo. Love Stanley
So has the fbi scandal actually helped USC in recruiting
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I've heard Oregon?
-Norlander.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

3goggles wrote:
Seems that way doesn't it?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

ChooChooCat wrote:
3goggles wrote:
Amazing, isn't?

The FBI scandal would probably not have much impact on AZ either -- it was the ESPN story that really did the damage. The FBI story involves rogue assistants, agents and shoe companies. The bogus ESPN hit-job (plus all of the television coverage and commentary that followed it) named the head coach as soliciting a six figure payment for a player.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:I've heard Oregon?
I don't get the appeal of Oregon. The program does not have a great legacy. Altman is not elite. He has had a long, somewhat respectable career, but he never was particularly impressive. He got the Oregon job, but the job was not a great job at the time, nor did he have an impressive resume at his previous stops. Dorsey fell into his lap. He had a great set of guards/wings that got him to a final four. Suddenly he is reeling in major talent, partially due to the AZ FBI cloud (he never would have gotten Bol without Book's f**k-up). Oregon has Nike money and good facilities, but I do not get the appeal as a new basketball destination. Suddenly the west-coast talent wants to go to a wet/cold climate, to a program that has not been particularly relevant over time, and to play for Altman.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

midnightx wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
3goggles wrote:
Amazing, isn't?

The FBI scandal would probably not have much impact on AZ either -- it was the ESPN story that really did the damage. The FBI story involves rogue assistants, agents and shoe companies. The bogus ESPN hit-job (plus all of the television coverage and commentary that followed it) named the head coach as soliciting a six figure payment for a player.
Hell outside of them forcing out Taeshon Cherry the original report didn't affect them at all on the recruiting trail. They grabbed a commitment from a top 50ish recruit out of fricken Florida a week or so after the story broke. Naturally all their guys signed NLIs too. It's as if nothing ever fricken happened to them outside of Cherry and Melton. Naturally they're recruiting this well after being a preseason top 10 team and failing to make the tournament.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'll continue to reminder everyone that Melton, Metu, and Boatwright were named as taking money in federal court documents. No big deal though, thanks to ESPN.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

It is business as usual for the other programs named in the FBI report, with USC lighting it up on the recruiting trail.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

midnightx wrote:It is business as usual for the other programs named in the FBI report, with USC lighting it up on the recruiting trail.
I think once you take out the effect from our hypothetical insane 2018 class that was likely to occur before this FBI report came out, you could argue it has been business as usual for us as well. Got a 5 star PG, two 4 star wings, and two high impact grad transfers in 2018 after news broke, and 2019 recruiting seems very positive with us leading for Green and Mannion and very much so in the hunt with a handful of other top 100 guys. I think all of us like to imagine the dream class of 2018 that likely would have been top 3 in the country had this FBI report not come out, but I don't think we're hurting on the recruiting trail as much as I was initially anticipating.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

BWill out here working.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

By the time Jalen Green graduates from high school the NBA will have likely ended the one and done rule and he will most certainly go straight to the league. If that wasn't the case though Arizona would be in a very good spot to land him. We may ultimately land his "commitment," but yeah...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Yes please on Nico Mannion. I wasn't sold at first, but seeing how he's developed...

https://youtu.be/PMQo4JRAbqs" target="_blank
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

247 has us leading for Mannion
cpt

Post by cpt »

Apparently Nico loves Arizona and has since he was a little kid. Always been his dream to play for the U of A. It would be great to have someone that passionate about being a Wildcat.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

cpt wrote:Apparently Nico loves Arizona and has since he was a little kid. Always been his dream to play for the U of A. It would be great to have someone that passionate about being a Wildcat.
Insert: Brandon Williams
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:247 has us leading for Mannion
Brandon and Nico in back to back classes would be so awesome.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Especially if BW isn't one and done. I'm amazed at Sean's resilience on the recruiting trail. If the '18 class is his low point, we're in terrific shape. Just trying to think big picture here. I've been praising Oregon/Altman in the other thread, which is I think is merited, but Sean has already shown that when the wind is in his sails in Tucson, he's consistently producing a top 10 team.

Excited for the future.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

baycat93 wrote:
cpt wrote:Apparently Nico loves Arizona and has since he was a little kid. Always been his dream to play for the U of A. It would be great to have someone that passionate about being a Wildcat.
Insert: Brandon Williams
:!:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Especially if BW isn't one and done. I'm amazed at Sean's resilience on the recruiting trail. If the '18 class is his low point, we're in terrific shape. Just trying to think big picture here. I've been praising Oregon/Altman in the other thread, which is I think is merited, but Sean has already shown that when the wind is in his sails in Tucson, he's consistently producing a top 10 team.

Excited for the future.
I really doubt Brandon has any shot at one and done. Guards his size very rarely have that potential. You have to produce like Sexton, Young or Fox to be able to make the leap.

Then you have guys like Brunson. If I was Brandon, that's the goal. He can be that sort of 2-3 year guy who develops into the sort of guy who might not be a star in the NBA but is a constant bench asset and has a 10 year career.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Mannion names top 10. We have a lot of competition

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... recruiting" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat wrote:Mannion names top 10. We have a lot of competition

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... recruiting" target="_blank
Top 10...lol. Maybe wait until it’s down to 5? What’s the point of naming a top 10? I doubt AG or DA did that. Glad to see we’re leading, though. It’s a mad scramble for those coveted 4-5-6 slots!